Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

fart simpson posted:

i use a 21 inch va trash monitor at work

same but TN and 23". one of the best things about wfh has been being able to use halfway decent monitors at home. 23" WSXGA+ with bad viewing angles is just complete rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

have you guys with monitors from 1999 tried asking for better ones

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Raluek posted:

same but TN and 23". one of the best things about wfh has been being able to use halfway decent monitors at home. 23" WSXGA+ with bad viewing angles is just complete rear end.

you're never gonna get anyone to go on wikipedia and look up wsxga+ so just state the resolution like a normal person

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
my 100P̸ WTFBBQ+ screen has a real gnarly CRI, I tell ya what

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
stfuxa

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
*looks at phone*

nice, smooth high density display

*looks at monitor*

giant loving pixels, everything looks like garbage

spend the money on a high density display for the thing you stare at for 8-12 hours a day. 5k @2x on a 27 inch screen is called showing your eyeballs some love

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

my stepdads beer posted:

yes but my boss wanted everyone in his department to have the same monitor for team unity so none of us are allowed to upgrade

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

unified in hating their monitors and boss, cool

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

never spend less than $300 on a monitor and do not let anyone you care about spend less than $300 on a monitor

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

you're never gonna get anyone to go on wikipedia and look up wsxga+ so just state the resolution like a normal person

1680x1050, the worst resolution since 1366x768

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

Raluek posted:

1680x1050, the worst resolution since 1366x768

2560x1080

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

The Management posted:

*looks at monitor*

everything looks like garbage

have you considered turning it on

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

my stepdads beer posted:

im p sure i still had dual 21" sony trinitrons at work in 1999 and they were great so long as i didn't have to move them and my desk didn't collapse from the weight.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Zlodo posted:

have you considered turning it on

from downtown!

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

thebigcow posted:

16:9 apologists are bad people.

edit: IMHO

i'm not an apologist, i just don't understand the incredibly strong feeling for that extra half inch of vertical space

oh wow, i can read three extra lines of text, time to get real mad on the internet at people who challenge the effectiveness of this monitor shape

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

oh man i had this memory of this setup made out of frankensteined ipad displays from the SHSC desktop thread and hey, forums search worked!

from permabanned user "Anagram of GINGER" (:catstare:) who used it for eve online

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

i found a 2005fpw on the street outside my gf's apartment. gonna set it up for her and bring back old memories of it being a cRAZY huge expensive hi-res monitor for the time.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

SO DEMANDING posted:

oh man i had this memory of this setup made out of frankensteined ipad displays from the SHSC desktop thread and hey, forums search worked!

from permabanned user "Anagram of GINGER" (:catstare:) who used it for eve online

lmao what year was this?

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

lol

tag yourself, i'm the power supply just sitting out in the open

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'm the high performance racing stripe on the chair

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

those dont look like ipad displays

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
i'm the handy analgesic

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I’m batman

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

lol

tag yourself, i'm the power supply just sitting out in the open

Those must be some hella bright mouse RGB lights.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i'm the dumb as poo poo alien UFO case that i can't believe someone actually purchased

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

actually i'm the lap joint on the two chunks of plywood unfinished pine nailed together on the wall

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

carry on then posted:

lmao what year was this?

2016 https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=2920891&pagenumber=208&perpage=40#post462202412

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

there's no goddamned way those displays draw 1.2 milliamps. idiot

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

kloa posted:

eve players are a special breed

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

i had some nice dell monitors with my trashmac. they were hi-dpi and not ginormous

except the drivers sucked so you had to turn them off and on 4 times before they would work. so the answer is no, op

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
if you don’t give a poo poo about hdr, 27” ips 4K is cheap as gently caress and that’s decent density. i’m sure I’ll replace mine in 5 years for no good reason anyway.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

i found a 2005fpw on the street outside my gf's apartment. gonna set it up for her and bring back old memories of it being a cRAZY huge expensive hi-res monitor for the time.

:unsmith: i remember spending like $549 on this in 2005, and it staying with me through 2015, with it being my main display up through 2013. that screen went the distance

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

SO DEMANDING posted:

pretty sure this guy drew rule34 of Frozen and other Disney stuff

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

i'm not an apologist, i just don't understand the incredibly strong feeling for that extra half inch of vertical space

oh wow, i can read three extra lines of text, time to get real mad on the internet at people who challenge the effectiveness of this monitor shape

It's 11% more. I wish it was taller yet.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Turnquiet posted:

:unsmith: i remember spending like $549 on this in 2005, and it staying with me through 2015, with it being my main display up through 2013. that screen went the distance

i have a 2407wfp hc that i still use on my workbench, it's a solid monitor, and it has component input, which is still handy

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

i remember being king poo poo of gently caress mountain back in college when i had a dell 2001FP (1600x1200 was god's own resolution). then my roommate got a 21 or 24 inch gateway (!!) with a fancy-pants faroudja image processor thing.

the dell ended up getting image retention issues on the bottom, could see a ghostly start button and quicklaunch icons in games

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

SO DEMANDING posted:

i remember being king poo poo of gently caress mountain back in college when i had a dell 2001FP (1600x1200 was god's own resolution). then my roommate got a 21 or 24 inch gateway (!!) with a fancy-pants faroudja image processor thing.

the dell ended up getting image retention issues on the bottom, could see a ghostly start button and quicklaunch icons in games

I kind of wish I still had my 2000FP, that generation of curvy dell monitors was great and it had every kind of input back to composite.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

SO DEMANDING posted:

i am using three of these right now

they do have some image retention, but it goes away pretty quick

overall still a good monitor

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Raluek posted:

i am using three of these right now

they do have some image retention, but it goes away pretty quick

overall still a good monitor

it was a good monitor but jesus dude those things are almost old enough to vote

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

SO DEMANDING posted:

it was a good monitor but jesus dude those things are almost old enough to vote

good viewing angle. good color. good aspect ratio. $100 for three, almost a decade ago. what is there not to like?

i could see upgrading for a higher pixel density or higher refresh, but i am very satisfied with what ive got