Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
protip: don't buy anything ever, the upgrade cycle means eventually something better will come along, possibly within months of your purchase, and then it will be completely useless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

infernal machines posted:

protip: don't buy anything ever, the upgrade cycle means eventually something better will come along, possibly within months of your purchase, and then it will be completely useless

Pile Of Garbage posted:

i've still got the dell u2711 i bought back in 2012 (27" 16:9 IPS 2560x1440@60). it was mad expensive but super nice and it still works perfectly. stupid huge number of inputs on it as well.

:thunk:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
look at this idiot who thinks their purchase of obsolete technology is serving their needs.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

Jimmy Carter posted:

yeah OLED looks great but just buy a laser projector and a 120" ambient-light-reflecting screen because just fill your entire wall with Trailer Park Boys

you also need to save that massive box or else it'll crack in half when you move apartments

in a couple of years once ultra short throw projectors improve a bit and get down in price its gonna own.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

look at this idiot who thinks their purchase of obsolete technology is serving their needs.

certainly serves me better than your posts!!!

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
1084S

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

god i wish they'd made bigger models. imagine a 17" 1087 or 19" 1089 with the same pin sharp tube and every input you'll ever need

i keep thinking about buying a sony BVM / PVM but everybody knows about them now so the prices got stupid :mad:

pram
Jun 10, 2001
i have a 65" panasonic plasma still. looks great because i never use it

also has 3d haha lol

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Sweevo posted:

i keep thinking about buying a sony BVM / PVM but everybody knows about them now so the prices got stupid :mad:

prolly the fault of the MLiG dudes who made the most comprehensive video about them some 5 years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAi8AVj9GV8

i can't think of any reason to own one today beyond novelty. the ubiquity of HDMI mods for retro systems has crushed the need for super special composite CRT viewing

pram
Jun 10, 2001
i wouldnt mind a crt but then i remember they weigh 1000lbs

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

people are giving away the top of the line sony wega 36" crts on craigslist. those were like $3k tvs back in the day. they're still the best tubes you can get. and they weigh like 250lbs, so they sit and moulder until they finally get thrown out

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
there still remains little to no compelling reason to get a CRT in 2020 beyond either nostalgia or esoteric audiophile-but-for-video poo poo and for the latter you'd get a BVM/PVM as mentioned.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Pile Of Garbage posted:

there still remains little to no compelling reason to get a CRT in 2020 beyond either nostalgia or esoteric audiophile-but-for-video poo poo and for the latter you'd get a BVM/PVM as mentioned.

i have a 20" crt that i keep around because it supports a bunch of different signal formats and sync on green etc., also there's nothing better for cga/ ega era sprite based games

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

audiophile-but-for-video people would claim they can see ultraviolet light, or that wrapping their $4k power cable around a $2k block of wood eliminates parity errors from their VIC-20

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
So where's the yesteryear discount monitors outlet store? You know, one step above ebay and six steps below $800 to read forums users tell me I'm stupid

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

retail is dead, but i'll tell you you're stupid for only $600

venmo me

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

Pile Of Garbage posted:

prolly the fault of the MLiG dudes who made the most comprehensive video about them some 5 years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAi8AVj9GV8

i can't think of any reason to own one today beyond novelty. the ubiquity of HDMI mods for retro systems has crushed the need for super special composite CRT viewing

CRT screens are still better in some metrics around motion and response lag:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8BVTHxc4LM

In a retro context, I've got an original arcade CRT in my Blast City and it is very satisfying seeing it hit the native resolution of a game - most LCDs don't scale up from 256x192 very well unless you get an expensive converter. Happy to admit it is an aesthetic thing for the retro context but I'd rather spend $500 on the CRT than an OSSC + a screen.

Edit: re reading I think it sounds like I'm trying to defend CRT as a value thing - it isn't, it's absolutely a luxury to try to get things to look a certain way in exchange for non trivial amounts of money. It's just my preferred dumb way of spending money on aesthetics.

Trimson Grondag 3 fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Aug 29, 2020

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Pile Of Garbage posted:

nah, HDMI upscaling really doesn’t preserve the feel of the old systems

back in the 90s, I played a lot of Genesis, Jaguar, and PlayStation games on a 9in Sony TV so I picked up an 8in portable PVM with carry case and tuner a couple years back; it’s been extremely needs-suiting for everything from Atari 2600 through original PlayStation

the PlayStation generation is the dividing line, where it works well with both PVM and our old 42in Westinghouse LVM-42W2—we use the PlayStation with the Sony but the N64 with the Westinghouse

we’ve thought about a bigger PVM but we really like the small amount of space, and the inherent ecrappiness of NTSC means everything is still quite legible on an 8in screen

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

people are giving away the top of the line sony wega 36" crts on craigslist. those were like $3k tvs back in the day. they're still the best tubes you can get. and they weigh like 250lbs, so they sit and moulder until they finally get thrown out

if we ever get the out-of-the-way estate, we’ll probably get one of the Sony 37in WEGA CRTs for the game room

the reason they’re free on Craigslist is because they cost $TEXAS to recycle

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Broken Machine posted:

i have a 20" crt that i keep around because it supports a bunch of different signal formats and sync on green etc., also there's nothing better for cga/ ega era sprite based games

eh, CRTs for workstations have a certain aesthetic and if I had the room I might still get them, but other than specialized displays (Symbolics, HP 9000, Apple IIgs, Atari ST, Amiga) I’ve been willing to pass on them

an NEC MultiSync LCD1990SX will do sync-on-green and can handle virtually all of the workstation resolutions you throw at it through 1280×1024 without, even oddball ones like NeXT (1132×832), just not the 15KHz ones

if you want 1600×1200 then I think the LCD2090 series has a model with sync-on-green and “native” (unsealed) resolution support too

also my Lisp Machine consoles are pretty awesome, I have both a 3600-series and XL-series console since we haven’t finished development of a console emulator

see, the Symbolics console uses a 160MHz balanced ECL signal and Manchester encoding for its 1150×900 video, which doesn’t sound like a big deal for an FPGA—except you can’t use the FPGA’s built-in Manchester decoder for this purpose because Symbolics decided to signal horizontal and vertical sync via intentional violation of the encoding rather than separate signals,so you need a much better FPGA than you otherwise might to do full sync separation

it might literally be easier to tap the video signals on the I/O card that feed into the encoder (via test clips) and run those through some high-speed transistors to create RS-170 compatible signaling that can be fed to an LCD, but that’s not exactly plug-and-play, and it still leaves out the keyboard, mouse, serial port, and CD-quality stereo digital audio that these early-1980s systems have in their consoles…

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

eschaton posted:

the reason they’re free on Craigslist is because they cost $TEXAS to recycle

in ontario and possibly the rest of canada, e-waste fees are charged at time of purchase, so it doesn't cost anything for consumers to recycle e-waste.

they still weight a ton though, curbside pickup or no

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

in ontario and possibly the rest of canada, e-waste fees are charged at time of purchase, so it doesn't cost anything for consumers to recycle e-waste.

they still weight a ton though, curbside pickup or no

they’ve been charged at time of purchase for quite a while here too, but these predate that, so there are recycling fees

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

that is weird. i've never been charged for recycling equipment that predates the fees, and certainly they don't discriminate when it comes to curbside pickup*, so i was unaware that was a thing anywhere

*case in point, i've seen several tube tvs curbside in the last month alone. they always get picked up though

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
did anyone get the LG 38WN95C-W (38 inch 3840x1600 144hz)? its coming to Australia soon and I'm never going back to an office so maybe it's like saving money by buying it?

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy
i have an acer x203w and x193w+ because uh i think the bigger one was out of stock once i was able to afford a second monitor? 20" 16:10 is a very comfortable size imo. honestly the biggest problem is that the color management suuuuuuuucks, they've never matched each other very well.

i had a dell 2415q at the office and running it at 1.2x or so (some weird resolution 2308x...something) looked extremely nice but the hidpi definitely spoiled me. so i guess i want nicer monitors at home but any 16:10 screens i can find are 22-24" 1920x1200 which is almost exactly the same dpi as what i have now, so what's the point.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

~Coxy posted:

I almost bought a 65" plasma at an auction recently

I looked at the spec sheet to check that it was "proper" 3x1920x1080 FullHD; it weighed 70kg and used 700W while running.
I didn't end up getting it mainly because a few people actually really wanted it and bid it up too much for a novelty.

buying an plasma sight-unseen seems risky as if it came from an old person's home it probably has a cable news logo and ticker burned into it

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

akadajet posted:

va is trash garbage

idk it's not 2017 any more

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

bump

ya'll got any thoughts on displays with wide color gamut? i've seen some people complain about colors being oversaturated. is this worth worrying about at all? some wide gamut monitors have an sRGB mode if you don't like it but a bunch don't.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

work just bought a u3219q, its needs suiting

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

that's a nice monitor

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
So now that hdmi 2.1 cards are coming out we’re going to start getting good monitors, right?

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

PCjr sidecar posted:

work just bought a u3219q, its needs suiting

that's the one i bought a few months back, it is pretty good!

powermac
Jan 10, 2011

I GET NO SPAM
dvorakdotorgslashblog
just checked this thread and there are still no good monitors, drat!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Actually the best moniteur is the lg 34gk950f. We can close this thread now

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

my favorite monitor is the acer yytydklfjhdfghfkgbjbhdrfgd 31.69"

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

I just received an Amiga A1080 that was sold as working

it was shipped in nothing but foam peanuts (at least they were cornstarch which are anti-static) and has something that goes ka-chunk inside when I tilt it so I suspect it actually needs work as a result

what makes it good is that it has only Amiga badging rather than being Commodore badged

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

Actually the best moniteur is the lg 34gk950f. We can close this thread now

i've never used a curved. how is it

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i have one at work and it’s pretty good. my work monitor is 34” super wide (like me). The curve on it feels nice, like you can take more of the screen in at once

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i have a curved 55" samsung for a monitor and the curve is mostly irrelevant. there's no appreciable difference as far as i can tell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

got a Dell S2721DGF recently. it's good, i'll be keeping it, but let's revisit some old posts!

SO DEMANDING posted:

my current desk is a piece of poo poo that i'll be replacing soon, allowing me to have room for dual monitors. i'm probably just going to get another 27" 1440p screen, but a high refresh rate one, and run my current monitor on the side. i dunno if that will exactly be ideal, but i'm not sure if "perfect" really exists here.
dual 27" is indeed not ideal. got the dell centered and my old HP to the right in portrait. tried it briefly in landscape and it's just too damned wide, got to turn my head way too much to comfortably see the far side of it. it's a tricky balance of physical monitor size, resolution/screen real estate, and DPI. maybe triple 24" monitors would be better, or maybe one of those 38" ultrawides I kind of like. i'll be sticking with this setup for now cuz i don't want to gently caress around anymore or spend any more money.

SO DEMANDING posted:

ya'll got any thoughts on displays with wide color gamut? i've seen some people complain about colors being oversaturated. is this worth worrying about at all? some wide gamut monitors have an sRGB mode if you don't like it but a bunch don't.
i also asked this in sh/sc, no one answered lol. this is definitely a little funky here and there, the S2721DGF does not have an sRGB mode. a lot of things do look more saturated than what i'm used to, sometimes it doesn't matter and sometimes it feels weird. color management poo poo confuses the hell out of me, and windows is rather lovely with it. i think i have irfanview set to display poo poo as sRGB and photoshop is probably all set on its own? maybe i should try getting a colorimeter doohickey to calibrate my displays? don't think you can do that cheaply, though

swear to god choosing an LCD was easier 10 years ago