Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
I was surprised to see Stoddard disposed of so unceremoniously this early and mere minutes into the episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.
The helicopter pilot seemed pretty surprised to find out that flying through a city with overhead wires and exploding fireworks might not be the greatest idea :v:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

And finally the game pays off the obvious question of "Isn't a phone an incredibly easy to discover tracking device?"

Anyways part of the problem with that part specifically which I remember clearly from when I played it is the game suggesting you take an NV scope then it immediately throwing guys with flashlights at you which pretty much invalidate the NV scope until you kill the guy with the flashlight.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

I'll come right out and say that Dawes is a really weak villain. He's essentially running a mercenary company that helps protect drug dealers by being a privatized police force. The whole "getting revenge" aspect of him being the bad guy is a little blunted because he spends the first half of the game as you ally and after he betrays you he then spends 3/4 of the back half off screen. The motivation to kick his rear end makes us kill Korean gangsters, aforementioned drug dealers and survivalists before we finally get to go after Dawes in the places he lives.

I'm not saying that the bad guy needs to be on screen at all times, most media knows that doesn't work too well, but usually you check in on them occasionally. You may be able to get away with running through a series of bad guys is your opponent is a faceless company or army and you are working your way to the top, but when the stated goal of three of the characters is to take out a specific guy, it is a little weird when you see him TWICE after that becomes the overarching objective.

I thought that by the time this LP finished things would have maybe gotten a little less contentious out on the streets. Instead we have seen it get worse somehow. I will not be playing any political simulators because by the time I finish that LP we may be in a civil war.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Nick's backstory, about having an abusive father who was also a secret police officer which fuels his motivation to be an honest cop would be really interesting if the game wasn't just about showing off how much cool stuff cops have.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

White Coke posted:

Nick's backstory, about having an abusive father who was also a secret police officer which fuels his motivation to be an honest cop would be really interesting if the game wasn't just about showing off how much cool stuff cops have.

Nick does an investigation into his own dad's history of torture and abuse and it is somehow boring. That is this game in a nutshell.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

On top of the cop stuff changing contexts, and I know that showing a bank account with a big number just isn't an impressive visual, the idea of a vault filled with pallets of cash, jewelry displays, and literal gold bars was kind of funny even back in 2015. Paper money is at least kind of thing to have around until you can deal with it but what, were drug dealers, cartels, and governments shipping Dawes some stolen necklaces and refined gold?

I've always assumed a potential sequel was going to be Nick vs Roarke? Was that his name? The guy with the mansion in LA for control since it wasn't ever really clear how he fit in, unless there's an investigation ending I'm forgetting about.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Kibayasu posted:

On top of the cop stuff changing contexts, and I know that showing a bank account with a big number just isn't an impressive visual, the idea of a vault filled with pallets of cash, jewelry displays, and literal gold bars was kind of funny even back in 2015. Paper money is at least kind of thing to have around until you can deal with it but what, were drug dealers, cartels, and governments shipping Dawes some stolen necklaces and refined gold?

I've always assumed a potential sequel was going to be Nick vs Roarke? Was that his name? The guy with the mansion in LA for control since it wasn't ever really clear how he fit in, unless there's an investigation ending I'm forgetting about.

I think they were setting it up so Nick was the bad guy the cops were trying to take down if they ever made a sequel. At least, I hope that is what they would go for based on how the game ends. The other option would be to start over again and do another Police-On-TV style campaign, and I just don't see that happening because the single player was so weak in this game.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Kibayasu posted:

Besides there being way too many gold bars (seriously, they're often too easy to trace and worth so much more than you imagine, filling a vault with them isn't feasible unless you're Apple or something), paying in cash and other goods is still preferred if you don't want questions about the numbers in your bank account, which is always visible to someone.

I also wonder about stuff like the entryway to the vault: How did Dawes transport those pallets into it? Wasn't it at the end of some stairs and a cliff face?

But then I am the kinda guy that spots swiveled pallets put down as cover for you when elevator doors start opening and ask questions like "Won't these get in the way if someone tries to offload cargo from the elevator?"

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
YetAnotherVideoGame/Movie/TVSeries gets the mass of a gold brick wrong again.

Seriously, gold is heavy. You aren't lifting a bar one-handed like that.

Kodos666
Dec 17, 2013

berryjon posted:

YetAnotherVideoGame/Movie/TVSeries gets the mass of a gold brick wrong again.

Seriously, gold is heavy. You aren't lifting a bar one-handed like that.

Isn't there a gold-processing-plant where they keep a bar lying on a table and you can keep it if you are able to take it one-handed?

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Kodos666 posted:

Isn't there a gold-processing-plant where they keep a bar lying on a table and you can keep it if you are able to take it one-handed?

I feel like this is a great post-Covid field trip idea. The bar probably weighs more than me, but I would at least give it a try.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Lazyfire posted:

I feel like this is a great post-Covid field trip idea. The bar probably weighs more than me, but I would at least give it a try.

It's "only" like 28 pounds, but it's incredibly smooth and it's tapered. Lifting it basically boils down to whether your hands are big enough to get around it, because you can't get enough of a grip on it to get under it.

GrayDorian
Dec 21, 2006

who is he
Thanks for playing through this, this was entertaining to watch. I'd been somewhat burnt out on most any game playing as law enforcement

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Well I've seen the whole story and I feel this is yet another tale best summed up with the ending of burn after reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Honestly, this seems better than every other Battlefield campaign I've watched/played. Like, it's still got a lot of wasted opportunities and has weird ludonarrative dissonance and so on, but there's decent environmental variety, there are characters with some semblance of personality, the evidence thing is kinda cool even if it doesn't amount to that much, etc. I guess maybe chalk it up to having been made by a studio that's not DICE and mostly did singleplayer games?