Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
The weather is hot, the sun is fine, pitchers of lemonade are gathering sweat on the counter, and we're all stuck inside reading comics beneath the sickly grey light of our monitors. New comics are back, in a limited capacity, after several months without, and like tomatoes ripening on the vine the Big Two are rolling out another beautiful summer crop of interminable crossovers. How many swords does Gambit deserve to have? Will Steve Englehart's beloved tree people continue to charm and enchant us? Will Scott Snyder ever run out of evil Batman iterations? How many Jokers will 2021 hold? Will Snowflake and Safespace ever debut or was Marvel just pulling our legs with that one?

Let's all slap on on some sunscreen, put on our Wolverine swimsuits, and crack open our favorite early 90s Marvel Swimsuit Specials and enjoy some light and breezy summer posting!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
UsAgent about to give himself a hernia over there.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
That is the most manifestly unfair tug-of-war I've ever seen.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I like the detail that they always had Peter Parker as the in-universe photographer for the Swimsuit Specials, just so they could have an excuse to throw in Mary Jane.

(Speaking as someone who never actually read one).

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012
The Iron Man armor swim trunks are simply magnificent. :discourse:

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

omg yes new chat thread

in light of recent events i will personally rescue vampi from dynamite. that company doesn't deserve ha!

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

How Wonderful! posted:

our favorite early 90s Marvel Swimsuit Specials

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Please hide this behind NWS tags!

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Is it a bikini if it's only the bottoms?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/ArchieComics/status/1285594127258787841?s=20

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

did you say Marvel Swimsuit Issue

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
There was a Twitter thread a while ago (in the Before Times I think?) where it turned out the guy who did that Swimsuit Issue was gay and intentionally made it as homoerotic as possible and it was just full of people going "well that explains a lot" and/or congratulating him for givng them a formative experience.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

CapnAndy posted:

There was a Twitter thread a while ago (in the Before Times I think?) where it turned out the guy who did that Swimsuit Issue was gay and intentionally made it as homoerotic as possible and it was just full of people going "well that explains a lot" and/or congratulating him for givng them a formative experience.

Yeah, Chris Cooper edited the last two issues, in 1994 and 1995.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

I knew Stokoe's grip was gnarly but Larsen's is messing me up.
https://twitter.com/ErikJLarsen/status/1285659039087636480

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

This seems like a poorly thought out strategy.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/OregonProgress/status/1285722614737047552?s=19

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

X-O posted:

This seems like a poorly thought out strategy.
https://twitter.com/ArchieComics/status/1285599634061172738

Anyway I am admittedly not completely up to date on what The Kids are saying these days, but is a dude who always has at minimum two girls wanting to date him a simp?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

CapnAndy posted:

https://twitter.com/ArchieComics/status/1285599634061172738

Anyway I am admittedly not completely up to date on what The Kids are saying these days, but is a dude who always has at minimum two girls wanting to date him a simp?

Only because he does nice things for them and doesn't actually sleep with either one.

Edit: I highly doubt people were actually writing "Archie is a Simp" on videos.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So would people actually be interested in a thread on alternate histories of comics? I'm considering how to put together an OP and I'm kinda scratching my head on how to do it.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Vincent posted:

I knew Stokoe's grip was gnarly but Larsen's is messing me up.
https://twitter.com/ErikJLarsen/status/1285659039087636480

I remember seeing Stokoe draw at some local artist con and it really messes with my head on how he holds the pencil and gets such insane detail.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
The weirdest thing for me is that at least Stokoe and Tradd Moore are left handed; I am also left handed (as is my brother) and all four of us were born in the same general era where at least in my experience as a young kid they had Handwriting Lessons in pre-school/early elementary that roughly amounted to "so uh here's how you hold a pencil. No, you're using the wrong hand. Are you sure? Okay, whatever, you're on your own."

Consequently a lot of left handed people I know have horrible "caveman clutching a tool they barely comprehend" pen grips. Mine's closer to Moore's, and I barely comprehend how Stokoe's works, but Larsen doesn't even have the excuse of being left handed.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Edge & Christian posted:

The weirdest thing for me is that at least Stokoe and Tradd Moore are left handed; I am also left handed (as is my brother) and all four of us were born in the same general era where at least in my experience as a young kid they had Handwriting Lessons in pre-school/early elementary that roughly amounted to "so uh here's how you hold a pencil. No, you're using the wrong hand. Are you sure? Okay, whatever, you're on your own."

Consequently a lot of left handed people I know have horrible "caveman clutching a tool they barely comprehend" pen grips. Mine's closer to Moore's, and I barely comprehend how Stokoe's works, but Larsen doesn't even have the excuse of being left handed.

I'm just guessing, but I suspect people who make their living as artists spent a lot of time drawing before they had any sort of formal schooling at even a kindergarten level so it might just be that's how they've been holding pens/pencils/crayons since they had the manual dexterity to hold anything at all.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Those grips kinda remind me of the stories you hear about guitarists who taught themselves to play songs they'd heard on the radio, not knowing it was actually two guitar tracks being played at once or whatever.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Yvonmukluk posted:

So would people actually be interested in a thread on alternate histories of comics? I'm considering how to put together an OP and I'm kinda scratching my head on how to do it.
Start with a divergence point and go from there?

I.e. paper shortages and rations in the 1940s prevented a lot of mass-market publications from going to print. While some newspapers dedicated additional space for the influx of serial comic strips, a number of publishing houses folded, resulting in huge shakeup.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Reminds me of my ex's mom. She was left handed and was pretty much forced to learn to write and draw right handed (because left handedness was evil).

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I'm left-handed and really liked doing art up through college, and the way I was taught to write and draw was really awful because I'd end up almost smearing the heel of my hand across the page and making a big smudgy mess. I wound up having to figure out this cockamamie way to hold pencils and pens that kind of hurt my wrist. It's part of why I really liked painting because if I could stand up and the canvas was vertical it just wasn't an issue.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

FilthyImp posted:

I.e. paper shortages and rations in the 1940s prevented a lot of mass-market publications from going to print. While some newspapers dedicated additional space for the influx of serial comic strips, a number of publishing houses folded, resulting in huge shakeup.

I think this would be incredible. Maybe structure it as every post is a year or two? World events are roughly the same it’s just comics that takes a different path.

I’d start it earlier, maybe at the turn of the century when comics was primarily newspaper strips and the medium in the west was still working out the kinks.

What if the first collection of strips that broke out wasn’t animal funnies, but instead Hogan’s Alley or something.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

FilthyImp posted:

Jordan7hm posted:

I think this would be incredible. Maybe structure it as every post is a year or two? World events are roughly the same it's just comics that takes a different path.

I'd start it earlier, maybe at the turn of the century when comics was primarily newspaper strips and the medium in the west was still working out the kinks.

What if the first collection of strips that broke out wasn't animal funnies, but instead Hogan's Alley or something.

These are both good ideas, but I don't know enough about early comics to do them justice. I was thinking of a more general discussion of various PODs. I was thinking more around the 90s and potentially averting the crash.

I'll do some thinking and try and post it tomorrow.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
A GenAlt History thread might be fun as well. Hell, maybe the 90s crash happens but Dean Cain is caught with cocaine and hooked, causing the Death of Superman to stick longer.

Maybe this causes DC to go through with the plan to "lease" Superman to Marvel!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Iron Man flopping and Marvel having to sell a lot of their IPs could be a fun recent divergence.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Edge & Christian posted:

Stokoe's grip feels like it was borne from dragging the side of his hand across ink too many times as he writes/draws. It's setup to keep his hand below anything he does.

I too know the pain of having a blue/black side of hand from writing too many essays in school and being left handed. I definitely also got the "you're on your own" growing up too. They had those stupid "guides" for pencils that were only made for righties. I have a lot of bad memories of being put in the "dumb group" because i had bad penmanship because I was left handed.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

BSS is a lot more sinister than I expected.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Endless Mike posted:

It's Batman's Shameful Secret's shameful secret.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

BSS

Bar SiniSter

:thunk:

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Does this mean we all get capes?!?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Alaois posted:

BSS

Bar SiniSter

:thunk:

CapnAndy posted:

Does this mean we all get capes?!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU