Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CapnAndy posted:

Does this mean we all get capes?!?

I'm in for this .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
NO CAPES!!!!!

cue montage of Supers dying horribly due to cape malfunctions from Incredibles 1

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

drrockso20 posted:

NO CAPES!!!!!

cue montage of Supers dying horribly due to cape malfunctions from Incredibles 1

It always bugged me that during the first Marvel Civil War the in-universe nickname for the SHIELD agents that were supposedly specialized in hunting down anti-registration superheroes was "Cape Killers" when pretty much no famous superheroes in the Marvel Universe where capes. The only mainline Avengers that did were Thor and Vision and they were both dead at the time.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
And also wouldn't have been troubled by a few SHIELD agents with dart guns.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
When did Vision come back after Disassembled?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Skwirl posted:

When did Vision come back after Disassembled?

Right before Avengers vs X-Men, I think.

Actually, no, apparently it was at the end of Fear Itself, right before Avengers vs X-Men is when Wanda is brought to the Avengers Mansion by Carol and Vision tells her to gently caress off.

Shirkelton fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Jul 24, 2020

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So I've finally posted the thread on alternate histories of comics. Come check it out!

Edit: also how do you do, fellow sinister folk?

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jul 24, 2020

bad_trotsky
May 23, 2012

How Wonderful! posted:

I'm left-handed and really liked doing art up through college, and the way I was taught to write and draw was really awful because I'd end up almost smearing the heel of my hand across the page and making a big smudgy mess. I wound up having to figure out this cockamamie way to hold pencils and pens that kind of hurt my wrist. It's part of why I really liked painting because if I could stand up and the canvas was vertical it just wasn't an issue.

I am right handed but I liked to write with my hand so it slanted the other way. It looked like I was left handed. I got seriously yelled at by my teacher who made write like a right hander.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So...um, did someone just give Lowtax a bunch of money for avs? I like a gimmick as much as anyone, but...yeah.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
What happened

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Yvonmukluk posted:

So...um, did someone just give Lowtax a bunch of money for avs? I like a gimmick as much as anyone, but...yeah.

I did it through the mod panel on a whim, sorry for the scare. I assure you Lowtax didn't make a penny from it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Sexy Guy Gardner does not approve.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

How Wonderful! posted:

I did it through the mod panel on a whim, sorry for the scare. I assure you Lowtax didn't make a penny from it.
I love it!!!!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Did I miss out on some sexy sinister AVS? Booo.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

How Wonderful! posted:

Ah, fair enough. Been a while since there was a common BSS av (even if this one is reserved for us Sinister goons). I'm gonna miss Mildred, but I'm not gonna complain when the replacement is so...Sinister.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
This is cool I guess. Nuthin's ever gonna measure up to angry JJJ though.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Hardhat Spideys 4eva

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Hard hats Spidey are some of my fondest memories on this forum. The joy the brought. The laughter. The tears. Good times.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Noooo I always use avvies to tell people apart. Now what am I going to do? :(

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

JordanKai posted:

Noooo I always use avvies to tell people apart. Now what am I going to do? :(

Post it notes, push pins and yarn.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Rhyno posted:

Post it notes, push pins and yarn.

It's also good for theorising the identity of Kindred.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I think the identity of the Kindred has been published on record for over 25 years now.

The trademark, it would seem, has lapsed though.

This is probably meaningless, but Aegis Entertainment (the corporate name used for Jim Lee/Wildstorm) is still the mark owner of record for the following terms:

WildC.A.T.S. (and Voodoo, Zealot, and Maul)
Gen13 (and Grunge, Burnout, Freefall, Fairchild, and Rainmaker)
Stormwatch
Wetworks
Deathblow
Coda
Mr. Majestic
Top 10

Everything else you'd expect DC to have trademarked they do, but via separate filings as DC Comics, not Aegis Entertainment (owned by DC Comics)

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
This showed up in my feed recently, not all comics related but the one about Samuel L Jackson is pretty cute:
https://getpocket.com/explore/item/...e=pocket-newtab

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I really like goofy mass av changes (see the Comics Criminal thing, hard hat Spidey, etc.) but I do make a point of keeping everybody's prior avs and titles on record in case anybody wants a rollback gratis. On a similar note I've mentioned this in a few other threads but if you have a crackerjack idea for an av but don't want to put any money towards Lowtax you can post or PM me a receipt or other proof of a new donation to RAINN or a similar anti-domestic abuse organization and I'll hook you up.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

So I guess DC is going to put out a book of super hero themed cocktail recipes and well,

https://twitter.com/marfedmoo/status/1287190078201180164?s=19

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Skwirl posted:

So I guess DC is going to put out a book of super hero themed cocktail recipes and well,

https://twitter.com/marfedmoo/status/1287190078201180164?s=19

It has to be served Chilled as well

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Reading Steve Ditko's Mr A stuff and man is it a doozy, some of the most bleak and brutal comics I've ever read, and all while only being slightly more violent than a normal superhero comic of the era

Also in spite of trying to push a Black & White morality, I can't really make heads or tails on how the morality here is supposed to work

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

drrockso20 posted:

Reading Steve Ditko's Mr A stuff and man is it a doozy, some of the most bleak and brutal comics I've ever read, and all while only being slightly more violent than a normal superhero comic of the era

Also in spite of trying to push a Black & White morality, I can't really make heads or tails on how the morality here is supposed to work

Well you see if you are one of those who have had a full, busy, successful life and are still hard at work making money—stop for one minute of thought. What are you working for?

You have enough to keep you in comfort for the rest of your days. But you are working to insure your children’s future. Well, what are you leaving to your children?

The money, home or education you plan to leave them will be worthless or taken away from them. Instead, your legacy will be a Totalitarian America, a world of slavery, of starvation, of concentration camps and of firing squads.

The best part of your life is behind you—and it was lived in freedom. But your children will have nothing to face save their existence as slaves.

Is that what you want for them? If not, it is still up to you. There is time left to abort it—but not very much time.

You take out insurance to protect your children, don’t you? How much money and working effort does that insurance cost you? If you put one-tenth of the money and time into [understanding and advancing the ideas necessary for] insuring against your children’s future slavery—you would save them and save for them everything else which you intend to leave them and which they’ll never get otherwise.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

How Wonderful! posted:

I really like goofy mass av changes (see the Comics Criminal thing, hard hat Spidey, etc.) but I do make a point of keeping everybody's prior avs and titles on record in case anybody wants a rollback gratis. On a similar note I've mentioned this in a few other threads but if you have a crackerjack idea for an av but don't want to put any money towards Lowtax you can post or PM me a receipt or other proof of a new donation to RAINN or a similar anti-domestic abuse organization and I'll hook you up.

Never mind. I think that's cool that you're making that offer.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jul 26, 2020

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Jordan7hm posted:

Well you see if you are one of those who have had a full, busy, successful life and are still hard at work making money—stop for one minute of thought. What are you working for?

You have enough to keep you in comfort for the rest of your days. But you are working to insure your children’s future. Well, what are you leaving to your children?

The money, home or education you plan to leave them will be worthless or taken away from them. Instead, your legacy will be a Totalitarian America, a world of slavery, of starvation, of concentration camps and of firing squads.

The best part of your life is behind you—and it was lived in freedom. But your children will have nothing to face save their existence as slaves.

Is that what you want for them? If not, it is still up to you. There is time left to abort it—but not very much time.

You take out insurance to protect your children, don’t you? How much money and working effort does that insurance cost you? If you put one-tenth of the money and time into [understanding and advancing the ideas necessary for] insuring against your children’s future slavery—you would save them and save for them everything else which you intend to leave them and which they’ll never get otherwise.

See that's exactly how those comics are written and just as murky as them too

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Finished his Mr A stuff as well as Avenging World and Wha...!? Ditko's "H" Hero Series(that's a real mouthful of a title), and well the former was just plain a mess, and the latter actually had some interesting ideas even if it still delved into Ditko's weird politics more than it should have

Now onto his 80's era works, including one that even Ditko himself admitted was too wordy apparently

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Where are y’all reading Mr A? I’ve only seen a couple in a best of witzend collection?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

lifg posted:

Where are y’all reading Mr A? I’ve only seen a couple in a best of witzend collection?

Someone on /co/ was doing a storytime of his indie work, basically every year around the time Comic-Con happens it's /co/ tradition to do "Storytimes of Pain" where people will dump what are considered the worst comics around(or at least the most miserable to read), some of the others being posted this year include "classics" like All-Star Batman & Robin or most of Millar's works, but also some more out there stuff like the Spider-Man manga(or Suffering-Man as they like to call that one) or a comic book adaptation of The Diary of a Supreme Gentleman that's done in the style of The Diary of a Wimpy Kid books

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/WilliamD1123/status/1287305443207938048?s=20

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Jeph Loeb is a hack, gently caress him in the eyes

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://icv2.com/articles/news/view/46206/new-idw-publisher-administrative-leave

IDW's publisher placed on administrative leave. That's... interesting.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I really enjoyed Rat Queens but then it ended or went on hiatus or whatever after volume 3, and when it came back I forgot to start reading it again. Until now! I just read volume 4. It's not as good.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
As much as I really hate to say it I found Rat Queens was never as good as it originally was after its original artist (who was a domestic abuser) was fired from the book. Not that the art quality dipped but the stories just were not good and I kind of hate myself for saying it but that's my opinion.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Rat Queens took a serious nosedive in quality for a while there. It picked back up again eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I regretted not buying the original art for the cover to issue #6 when I saw it at a random con (I liked the art, but hadn't read the book by that point), but now I'm glad I didn't.