Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

CapnAndy posted:

Rat Queens took a serious nosedive in quality for a while there. It picked back up again eventually.

Did it? I fell off it once Sejic left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
If I had the power to get rid of one thing from comic stories (and movies) it would be the henchmen. Why? I hate how the hero of the story will brutalize hundreds of henchmen, even kill them, but when it comes to facing the main villain the hero will go "it isn't worth it for me to permanently main/kill you" and that will be it. Like the hero decided the henchmen deserved a date far worse than the main villain who probably killed far more people than all the henchmen combined, but because the villain has a name the hero knows he isn't worth the pain and suffering the hero dished out to the henchmen.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Madkal posted:

If I had the power to get rid of one thing from comic stories (and movies) it would be the henchmen. Why? I hate how the hero of the story will brutalize hundreds of henchmen, even kill them, but when it comes to facing the main villain the hero will go "it isn't worth it for me to permanently main/kill you" and that will be it. Like the hero decided the henchmen deserved a date far worse than the main villain who probably killed far more people than all the henchmen combined, but because the villain has a name the hero knows he isn't worth the pain and suffering the hero dished out to the henchmen.

Depends on how it's handled really, like in Batman '66 makes it work pretty well cause the treatment between villain and henchman by Batman and Robin is usually pretty equal(unless one of them is a woman) and the violence is usually pretty mild(just enough to make it interesting)

Basically like a lot of other things, Batman '66 is something more superhero works need to take lessons from

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Madkal posted:

This was one of my biggest complaints about Arrow, this exact thing. He would cripple, maim, and murder scores of nameless goons, then got all high and mighty with his team when they killed anyone who really had it coming.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Unionize henchpeople

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Madkal posted:

As much as I really hate to say it I found Rat Queens was never as good as it originally was after its original artist (who was a domestic abuser) was fired from the book. Not that the art quality dipped but the stories just were not good and I kind of hate myself for saying it but that's my opinion.

I like Rat Queens but the story is getting needlessly complex.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Madkal posted:

I take it this is the first time learning about white collar crime?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Something I've discovered since the rona is that my reading of comics was really tied into my weekly tradition of hitting the bar for lunch. I just don't feel the same urge to keep up on my weeklies, even titles I love, without that. It's kind of sad.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Soonmot posted:

Something I've discovered since the rona is that my reading of comics was really tied into my weekly tradition of hitting the bar for lunch. I just don't feel the same urge to keep up on my weeklies, even titles I love, without that. It's kind of sad.

Same. For me reading in general is was tied to reading on the bus and subway during my commute. Now I don't think I've read even half as much as I used to.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Mine is the same: get 3-5 weeklies every other week and read them ASAP. Buy a bundle of digital books and go a few days reading about half of it, then going days or weeks without reading anything.

I thought my reread pile would shrink, but I hardly made a dent.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I have the problem that I didn't have a pull list, I just went in and got what I wanted weekly, and breaking that weekly habit really, really hosed me up. I don't know when comics restarted, I don't know what issues of what comics I was following have come out in the intervening time, and every wednesday I forget to actually get some comics puts me that much further back.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I cancelled my pull list just before the UK went into lockdown. My shop has since reopened but I'm still working from home and I just haven't felt the urge to go back. I thought that I'd maybe go digital when releases started up again but I haven't done that either so the habit of going in every Wednesday was a huge part of me getting and reading comics.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Are release dates of upcoming comics posted anywhere?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gripweed posted:

Are release dates of upcoming comics posted anywhere?

This thread

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Skwirl posted:

This thread

The dates are only available a week in advance? I was hoping to see when exactly Ultraman and Marneus Calgar start, but they're both at least a month away.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gripweed posted:

The dates are only available a week in advance? I was hoping to see when exactly Ultraman and Marneus Calgar start, but they're both at least a month away.

Individual titles you can usually just google search but I don't think there's a hard release date for those yet. Everything I can find just says "September" for Ultraman.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Skwirl posted:

Individual titles you can usually just google search but I don't think there's a hard release date for those yet. Everything I can find just says "September" for Ultraman.

I guess I'll check when we're clsoer to September. Thanks

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
My shop stayed open during shut down (all customers had to wear masks and only allowed two people in at a time but they weren't getting any new stock. It's a fairly small shop and such so I would try support by getting graphic novels (usually would phone ahead to get them to put it aside so it would be a quick pick up).
One thing the pandemic has done for me is now I'm re reading a lot of my singles issues for runs I haven't read in ages. With trades I will usually reread them every once in a while but with singles it's usually one and done but I'm finally rereading singles like I did when I was a kid.

Greekonomics
Jun 22, 2009

Gripweed posted:

I guess I'll check when we're clsoer to September. Thanks

Comixology has it coming out on September 9.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Greekonomics posted:

Comixology has it coming out on September 9.

Oh cool, thanks. And they have the date for Marneus Calgar, October 14th.

It also says that both of those are issues 1 (of 5). Which is new and unhappy news.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The Ultraman series is titled 'The Rise of Ultraman' which does give the impression that it could lead into an ongoing.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Roth posted:

The Ultraman series is titled 'The Rise of Ultraman' which does give the impression that it could lead into an ongoing.

I certainly hope so. Those are two franchises that could easily support multiple ongoings and big crossover events. the yearly Ultraman series and Black Library novels already do a totally satisfactory job telling discrete, finite stories. If the Marvel comics do the same thing then that'll be a waste.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I don't think Marvel would have bothered getting the rights to either Ultraman or Warhammer 40k if their entire plan was to just make a single miniseries and nothing further.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

https://twitter.com/enthusiamy/status/1289258279340658689

So what heroes would fit this hypothetical criteria?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Yvonmukluk posted:

The Authority?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Yvonmukluk posted:

If The Slingers had been rebooted with a new team in 2015

And also if The Slingers had lasted 9 years instead of barely one year

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

It didn’t last until 2008, but the Mattie Franklin Spider Woman series had its first issue in 1999, and Spider Gwen first appeared in 2015.

That’s about as close as I can get.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
You guys aren't doing the analogy right, here's a non comics example someone in the comments noted that might get you thinking correctly;

https://twitter.com/Alsadius/status/1289365146192637952?s=19

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

We are closer in time to the life of Christ than he was to the construction of the pyramids of Giza.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Time in the year 2020 has no meaning. We are as close as Batman fighting Joker now as we are to Batman fighting Joker then as we will be to Batman fighting the Joker in the future.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Madkal posted:

Time in the year 2020 has no meaning. We are as close as Batman fighting Joker now as we are to Batman fighting Joker then as we will be to Batman fighting the Joker in the future.

Well, I mean, there's canonically three...

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Wow. Runaways S3 really just shits the bed.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Season 1 poo poo every piece of furniture in the house.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Rhyno posted:

Season 1 poo poo every piece of furniture in the house.
I kind of liked them diverging from the comics and having the parents be caught up in it.

But the witch poo poo is... ehhhh.

Hurley is pretty amazing though.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Open Marriage Night posted:

It didn’t last until 2008, but the Mattie Franklin Spider Woman series had its first issue in 1999, and Spider Gwen first appeared in 2015.

That’s about as close as I can get.
Spider-Girl debuted in 1998 and ended in 2010, so that'd probably be a closer analogy. Silk also showed up in 2015, didn't she?

FilthyImp posted:

Yeah, I was considering trying it out for the Cloak & Dagger crossover, but even that is apparently bad.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Yvonmukluk posted:

Yeah, I was considering trying it out for the Cloak & Dagger crossover, but even that is apparently bad.
It occurs to me that I liked the layer of intrigue S1 where the kids were suspicious of their parents but trying to keep it close to their chest.

The Jonah subplot gives the parents something to do, and Julian McMahon is fun, but the eventual resolution to that is such a wet thud that S3 is dragged down by it.

It doesn't help that they quite obviously needed to prune the cast down and skimp of FX stuff.

mrchoupon
Jun 3, 2001

I guess I'm in the minority but my comic book reading has actually increased the last couple of months. Before lockdown I was buying more books than I was reading. Now I'm getting through them all and making a significant dent in my back log. I just started reading Burbaker and Phillips' The Fade Out and it's really good!

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

FilthyImp posted:

eh, I enjoyed it and thought it was better than S2. wish they had introduced Victor instead of just teasing him for S4 though

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Have they run away yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
/\/\/\/\also that

Barry Convex posted:

eh, I enjoyed it and thought it was better than S2. wish they had introduced Victor instead of just teasing him for S4 though

does molly ever wear a cool hat for more than half an episode?