Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

They're supposedly making new episodes again, so it may still happen!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Fifa Water Polo and the Bridesmaids sequel are really awesome choices

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
So finally got around to reading the 2012 version of Prophet and only 3 issues in it's already a trip

Is there a reason it starts at issue 21 instead of 1 like it should though?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
It picked up the numbering from the original series.

Glory did the same thing (also recommended).

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I just found out Mike Allred did a comic version of the Book of Mormon

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gripweed posted:

I just found out Mike Allred did a comic version of the Book of Mormon

It's unfinished because no one bought it.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I was really into Allred's style in the early aughts and then I heard about his Golden Plates book around the time it came out and found the whole thing pretty cringeworthy. There are worse things comic artists were doing back then and now but it just seemed like a weird thing like the Archie Jesus comics. I still like his style to a degree but that took him down a few pegs for me.

EDIT:

I didn't even buy the book either.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
why is joseph smith dressed like a fantasy medieval hero it was the early 1800's

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

I was really into Allred's style in the early aughts and then I heard about his Golden Plates book around the time it came out and found the whole thing pretty cringeworthy. There are worse things comic artists were doing back then and now but it just seemed like a weird thing like the Archie Jesus comics. I still like his style to a degree but that took him down a few pegs for me.

EDIT:

I didn't even buy the book either.

Allred is a Mormon, but politically, he is a progressive liberal, unlike the vast majority of Mormons. He's my favorite artist, so I'd totally buy those if I ever found them for a decent price. Back issues are relatively rare and tend to be on the expensive side.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
His son is a jerk.

By all reports.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Rhyno posted:

His son is a jerk.

By all reports.

He has like four sons.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Maybe they are all jerks.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Oh I read this one

Edit: I don't actually know if they're jerks. I remember the GBS thread about one of them but maybe the other three are sweethearts.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Sep 16, 2020

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

He has like four sons.

I mean, he's Mormon

Rhyno posted:

His son is a jerk.

By all reports.

Rhyno posted:

Maybe they are all jerks.

I mean, they were raised by Mormons.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Finished Prophet and overall some good trippy stuff, but also honestly really unsatisfying in a lot of ways, like they were trying to cover several hundred issues of story into just 33 and very little was ever explained clearly either

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

drrockso20 posted:

Finished Prophet and overall some good trippy stuff, but also honestly really unsatisfying in a lot of ways, like they were trying to cover several hundred issues of story into just 33 and very little was ever explained clearly either

That was my take as well. Maybe it was cooler as it was coming out issue by issue?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I started reading it a while back but stopped partway through. I really enjoyed that first arc with the adventure across the weird planet but as someone who didn't read that stuff originally once they started adding in older characters I just kind of lost interest.

Also, just a head's up that Ryan North did a graphic novel adaptation of Slaughterhouse Five that was just released today. I read a little of it this morning and it was pretty good. Not sure how it will go over for someone who hasn't read the book first though.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Blockhouse posted:

why is joseph smith dressed like a fantasy medieval hero it was the early 1800's

I'm pretty sure that's Mormon.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Allred is a Mormon, but politically, he is a progressive liberal, unlike the vast majority of Mormons. He's my favorite artist, so I'd totally buy those if I ever found them for a decent price. Back issues are relatively rare and tend to be on the expensive side.

Yeah, he seems cool despite that but I was barely out of high school at the time those came out. I'd probably pick them up today just for the oddity of them.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

muscles like this! posted:

Also, just a head's up that Ryan North did a graphic novel adaptation of Slaughterhouse Five that was just released today. I read a little of it this morning and it was pretty good. Not sure how it will go over for someone who hasn't read the book first though.

As someone who's read the book a whole bunch of times, I am very excited for this.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

The artist does Universe! for Panel Syndicate, which I think is a fantastic title and I can immediately see how his style will work for Slaughterhouse-Five.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Skwirl posted:

I mean, he's Mormon

I mean, they were raised by Mormons.

There are a lot of conservative Mormons and a lot of Mormons who believe things that seem unusual compared to mainline American religion but seriously, I wouldn't let anybody say this about an artist who was Catholic or Jewish or Muslim and I honestly don't think you would either. Please do better.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

I'm pretty sure that's Mormon.

Yeah, he seems cool despite that but I was barely out of high school at the time those came out. I'd probably pick them up today just for the oddity of them.

oh right I forgot they actually named the religion after a character named Mormon. I keep thinking it's because of the angel being named Moroni.

Smith really liked those "mor" names huh

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
My Mike Allred story is that he is too nice at cons. I had with me two comics for me to sign and some guy a few people ahead of me brought pretty much every single thing Allred had ever done to get signed and he signed everything and it took about 50 minutes. Everyone in the line up was giving the guy the stink eye but Allred was pretty much oblivious to this. I blame his Mormon upbringing. Well not really. But still. That is my Mike Allred story.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I never get more than one or two things signed. Getting everything seems insane to me. I had a few issues of Batgirl with me when I met Babs Tarr (I stuff several books into a single bag) and got her to sign the first issue. She offered to sign the rest and there wasn't anyone else there, but I declined 'cause there isn't any point in that. Dunno.

I liked Neil Gaiman's policy: sign every copy of whatever he is there promoting (new book release or whatnot) and then one or two items of something else, depending on the crowd size.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Yea most people have:

A. A limit (like 5 per person)
B. A charge per item above that limit that sometimes goes to charity.

Chris Claremont was at the con as well and I wanted to get my Wolverine trade signed by him but his line was also stupidly long so my wife waited in his line while I waited in the Allred line and I was worried I would miss my chance to see Claremont because of the ultra Allred fanboy but luckily I didn't.
Claremont was charging a few bucks per signature as well but that money was going to Hero Initiative I believe. Can't imagine someone putting down a few hundred bucks to get him to sign every X-Men book he ever wrote.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Another policy I've seen that I like is that if you show up with a CGC rep to witness the signature, you pay something like $20.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Uthor posted:

Another policy I've seen that I like is that if you show up with a CGC rep to witness the signature, you pay something like $20.
Why not just take a picture of the signing? Or poo poo, even video it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CapnAndy posted:

Why not just take a picture of the signing? Or poo poo, even video it.

You could still produce multiple copies and use the same video.

Also CGC is such horseshit.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

When Paul Dini and his family were at the shop, his wife offered to have him sign all the Harley Quinn merch. My buddy behind the counter was like “It’s the day before Thanksgiving, one will be fine.” Store got a nice Harley sketch out of it, and I was too excited to remember to ask for an autograph for myself.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Open Marriage Night posted:

When Paul Dini and his family were at the shop, his wife offered to have him sign all the Harley Quinn merch. My buddy behind the counter was like “It’s the day before Thanksgiving, one will be fine.” Store got a nice Harley sketch out of it, and I was too excited to remember to ask for an autograph for myself.

Does his wife really look like Zattana?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Sure. From whatever universe where she had three kids, and her black hair was a wig or hair dye. Just looked like a normal mom from my neighborhood. Really outgoing and super proud of being Paul Dini’s wife. Kids were real well behaved, and Paul was just quiet. His wife saying “Doesn’t DC send you three of everything?” and him sheepishly replying “Not this one.” as he put a Harley figure on the counter with their kids Scrooge McDuck books always puts a smile on my face when I think about it.

As for weird social conduct at cons: Art Baltazar was doing one dollar crayon sketches, and some guy brought a portfolio full of Star Trek reference photos. He wanted Kirk and Spock with particular phasers, on a particular planet, with a particular model of the enterprise in the background. None of the details were visible because it was crayon. Duh.

After that my friend just said “Nothing special. Wolverine would be great.” Art decided to have some fun “Ok. Wolverine is going to be naked. He has a little bit of a beer gut, so he’s not exposing himself. He shouldn’t be smoking, but he’s going to have a cigar. This hand he’ll have his adamantium claws, and on this hand he’ll have bone claws, because they’re pretty cool too.” Now that’s value.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I have some random free artwork done on backboards. I know Jeff Lemire would sometimes doodle something in random graphic novels given to him to sign. That was always cool. I got a Kaare Andrews Batman done on a backboard for free, which I repaid him with the following year at a con by doing my own Batman on a backboard. I have a picture somewhere of him signing the picture I took of him holding up my Batman sketch. I think that is my most treasured thing I have gotten from a con.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

All this talk of getting stuff signed is reminding me that I got burned out of 60 bucks back in 2015 by Jason Pearson when he did a kickstarter for a new Body Bags comic because the 60 dollar pledge was not only for a copy of the new comics but for signed copies of the first two volumes, and of course almost 5 years later he's done jack poo poo in either making those new comics or anything else he was supposed to do with the almost 40 grand he raised from that

It's such a shame Jason Pearson is one of my favorite living comics artists but he probably has the worst work ethic in the entire industry(and when you're in the same industry as someone like Greg Land that's really saying something), probably why he's done basically nothing but covers and pinups for the last 20 years

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

You're using two different definitions of work ethic comparing him to Greg Land.

There's no doubt in my mind if Greg Land had a successful kickstarter for a comic at the very least all if the art would get to the printer on time.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Skwirl posted:

You're using two different definitions of work ethic comparing him to Greg Land.

There's no doubt in my mind if Greg Land had a successful kickstarter for a comic at the very least all if the art would get to the printer on time.

That's kinda what I'm getting at, Land might be a lazy cheating rear end in a top hat but at least he gets his assignments done, hence why I consider the whole situation with Jason Pearson to be so much worse, he doesn't even have the excuse that he's been busy with other work, in these five years he's done like maybe a dozen professional jobs at the most, most of them just ink work and basically all merely covers and pinups

Like I'll let him off the hook for this year cause 2020 is a literal tire fire of a year, but that doesn't really excuse the previous four years

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Artists being lazy or whatever isn't something I care about. They work at whatever pace they work, and that doesn't just mean the speed at which they produce the physical art, but also the frequency they're able to make it to the drawing board for whatever reason.

Ripping people off on kickstarter is a different story though. That sucks.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Wrong thread

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Sep 18, 2020

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
I would like to say that I appreciate that a dumb joke I made in the NSM thread made it's way into being the subforum's name.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
So, I read the Beast Boy graphic novel and found it pretty disappointing, in large part because it mostly seems to be the kind of thing I thought we'd left behind in the 90s, with hot jocks and popular girls who are "popular" in spite of having absolutely no likeable traits whatsoever, and a hero who needs to learn that he's just perfect the way he is (that is, a teenager who's drawn to look very attractive, just like all his equally-hot friends) and shouldn't try to change himself, before eventually being drawn off on a hero's journey that he 'has to do by himself' (although I can't actually see why this is necessary) and leaving behind his entire supporting cast.

I am also annoyed because I thought this was a graphic novel but it doesn't even pretend to be a complete story and ends with a lead-up into the next graphic novel in the series, Beast Boy Loves Raven.

But I was primarily confused because it seems to think that supporting PETA is a cool and normal thing that we should be encouraging kids to do. PETA hasn't stopped being absolutely bonkers lately, has it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Cocaine is a depressant that makes you numb and quiet and sleepy in the DC Universe, maybe DCU PETA is a sober-minded boots on the ground activist group.