Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
What the gently caress is going on with these dudes? It's an entire species of assholes that take offense over every perceived slight.

How did they get advanced technology when all they ever want to do is yell and fight constantly? Is there some nerdlinger class of Klingons that we never see?

How the gently caress do they manage to keep a fleet of Starships running when you have a ship full of dickheads who grumble over every order? Do we ever seen Klingon engineers?

How the hell can you have a functioning society where everyone is a member of the goddamn warrior class?

Did the idea of Klingon honor that Worf believes in ever really exist or is he just a weeb? Or is he actually the only Klingon who is keeping it real? Is Worf really just a big joke... like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LnwLn9vnKo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I liked Klingon Lawyer who saw the courtroom as his battlefield.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yeah Worf is a total weeb.

Klingons were more fun before TNG- Klingon fandom was a big part of old Trek fandom, and a HUGE part of the 'culture' that was considered canon was based on John M Ford's novels The Final Reflection and How Much For Just The Planet. These presented Klingons as not some kind of pseudo-samurai warrior race, but much deeper people with a lot of guile and strategy behind their thinking instead of the guys we ended up with in official canon later. These two books were the basis of most of the Klingon culture in the FASA Star Trek RPGs as well. They are a lot of fun to read with some good humor as well and I recommend giving them a shot.

edit: Discovery's Klingon afterlife "The Black Fleet" was originally presented in The Final Reflection.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jul 22, 2020

Nov 6, 2002

Zesty posted:

I liked Klingon Lawyer who saw the courtroom as his battlefield.

I know you're talking about the DS9 lawyer, but I'm going to pretend it was Lawyer Worf, whom I imagined lost every case.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I liked it when Quark proved his Klingon wife's former husband had his life ruined through dishonorable means.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Worf is Schrodinger's Weeb-- he is the dorkiest cosplayer ever who based his entire adult identity around the Klingon equivalent of the novel "Shogun" yet because he forged that identity in paradise with no corrupting influences until he was already an adult he improbably shoot the moon and became the actual Klingon ideal, and one of my favorite details in Star Trek was the immediate and obvious realization that doing so would make him hated by most actual Klingons.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i still can't help but see calling worf a "weeaboo" or "weeb" as just so unnecessarily denigrating

like, did weeaboo stop being an insult at some point?

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

super sweet best pal posted:

I liked it when Quark proved his Klingon wife's former husband had his life ruined through dishonorable means.

House of quark is a great episode

Nov 6, 2002

mind the walrus posted:

and one of my favorite details in Star Trek was the immediate and obvious realization that doing so would make him hated by most actual Klingons.

There aren't many interactions Worf has with other Klingons that don't end with them rolling their eyes out of their heads.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Klingons, like most ST aliens, aren't really 'cultures' so much as 'ham-fisted moral lessons about 20th century American pop culture myths.' Which is funny but like a lot of ST basically stands up to no internal scrutiny.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i still can't help but see calling worf a "weeaboo" or "weeb" as just so unnecessarily denigrating

like, did weeaboo stop being an insult at some point?

No people are mocking Worf.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Trek's monocultural planets has always been lazy bullshit.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Trek's monocultural planets has always been lazy bullshit.

gently caress, monocultural EMPIRES. From TOS to Voyager you'd think that the Klingon Empire and the Romulan Star Empire, two massive, militaristic, expansionist super galactic powers, consisted entirely of Qo'noS and Romulus. At least modern Trek is paying some mind to the idea that the Klingons and Romulans each conquered a fuckton of alien species as they expanded from their respective homeworlds and forced them to become Klingons/Romulans like how everyone in the Roman Empire was a "Roman" even if they lived their entire life next door to Hadrian's Wall.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

It's also extremely funny that each of these empires seems to be not just monocultural but nearly monoplanetary - the Cardassians and Romulans seem to have like 90%+ of their total power in their capitals, less like the Roman Empire and more like the Venetian one.

E: Also being the weird history guy, "monocultural empire" is practically an oxymoron, the distinctive feature of empires is that they're polities that successfully bind multiple cultures in some fashion (usually swordpoint).

Tulip fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jul 24, 2020

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Tulip posted:

It's also extremely funny that each of these empires seems to be not just monocultural but nearly monoplanetary - the Cardassians and Romulans seem to have like 90%+ of their total power in their capitals, less like the Roman Empire and more like the Venetian one.

E: Also being the weird history guy, "monocultural empire" is practically an oxymoron, the distinctive feature of empires is that they're polities that successfully bind multiple cultures in some fashion (usually swordpoint).

I did like how they used the redesigns and art design changes of the Klingons to take this into account. Like the TOS Klingons we see are a different race of people whose world(s) are part of the overall Klingon Empire, their language was called Klingonese in TOS and they made that a separate language from Klingon the actual from Kronos Klingons speak in The Motion Picture/TNG/etc. I forget but I think the Orions (?), Nausiccans, and a few other races we see in TOS and TNG/etc. are in the Klingon Empire too. Same with the various Klingons we see in Discovery, they gave them a level of diversity that shows off each Klingon design we see throughout the franchise and at that point they're all warring mini-kingdoms from their own worlds with their own fleets/etc. It always made it feel more like the Klingons had a huge variety of families and factions and geographic space to manage even if the budgetary realities meant we usually got just a couple of sets repeatedly and not a lot of costume variety until more recently.

I always appreciated that extra effort with the Klingons because it made them more believable, the other races really quickly hit the brick wall of like "look we already have like ONE matte painting that we use for three different planets so..." even if they were empires with multiple colonized planets and stuff in the cannon.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jul 24, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

super sweet best pal posted:

House of Quark is an interesting one. Apparently Grilka's whole issue revolves around how she can't get a fair hearing for her problems specifically because she's nobility- they're expected to be above all that financial crap, and obviously the High Council doesn't have the time to deal with issues of being scammed, but Klingons DO have accountants and such, but they're about as well-regarded as Rom is by Ferengi. A lower court wouldn't see as much shame in bringing in an expert on the topic since they don't have as much to lose from it.

Came up in the other thread that 'honor' is basically more like 'face' in practice; about presenting the appearance of your actions, not appearing to be cowardly or weak, and not engaging in specific activities deemed dishonourable. Quark manages to get the Council on his side because he manipulates the situation to show the other guy to be a coward engineering a fight with a foe who can't possibly harm him, but Quark does fulfil Klingon honour by (appearing to) bravely accept his inevitable death rather than surrender or retreat.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

It wasn't the real point of the episode but I liked how the first parts of House of Quark have a series of Klingons angrily demanding to know if Quark killed the Klingon in question properly and Quark (and I) couldn't parse the context and tone of the question to figure out what their angle was. Just, kind of neat that a the translators were not perfect enough to overcome general cultural competency (taking for granted that a Klingon would understand the subtext and context of the questions more gracefully).

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Yeah, it puts the viewer in Quark's position where he's out of his depth in a culture he knows very little about with values that are very alien to him, and he has to learn to navigate it quickly. (Especially since DS9 often has the Ferengi as standins for 20th century humans)

I feel there's some interesting dynamics and comparisons between Ferengi and Klingons, especially with how a lot of Ferengi are concerned about masculine posturing in their own way. Like when Worf buys Nog's tooth sharpener.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The Klingons talk constantly about making conquests, but they never reference what happens to the conquered. Heck, the Cardassians did do some conquest, and then there was a whole awkward thing where they had to tell the humans to please leave, as if the people on the land you conquer are just awkwardly in the way instead of being part of the value that conquerors seize.

Maybe the Klingons have a slave race of nerds living on their moon that do all the technological development that they're too embarrassed about.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

The Klingons talk constantly about making conquests, but they never reference what happens to the conquered. Heck, the Cardassians did do some conquest, and then there was a whole awkward thing where they had to tell the humans to please leave, as if the people on the land you conquer are just awkwardly in the way instead of being part of the value that conquerors seize.

Maybe the Klingons have a slave race of nerds living on their moon that do all the technological development that they're too embarrassed about.

B'lana mentions on at least one episode of Voyager that yes, the warriors get all the glory in Klingon society, but they never would have made it off of Qo'noS without engineers, who do indeed exist in Klingon society. But yeah, it stands to reason that the actual Klingon-Klingons from Qo'noS probably conquered a more technically adept race with sheer brute force and numbers and integrated their technology and workforce into their burgeoning empire.

Also it's all but canon that a LOT of the technology the Klingons utilize, from cloaking to the Bird of Prey itself, was straight up stolen from the Romulans and reverse engineered to Klingon standards.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

SlothfulCobra posted:

TOS actually does deal with Klingon occupied planets, mentioning repression and authoritarian policies.

nine-gear crow posted:

B'lana mentions on at least one episode of Voyager that yes, the warriors get all the glory in Klingon society, but they never would have made it off of Qo'noS without engineers, who do indeed exist in Klingon society. But yeah, it stands to reason that the actual Klingon-Klingons from Qo'noS probably conquered a more technically adept race with sheer brute force and numbers and integrated their technology and workforce into their burgeoning empire.

Also it's all but canon that a LOT of the technology the Klingons utilize, from cloaking to the Bird of Prey itself, was straight up stolen from the Romulans and reverse engineered to Klingon standards.

IIRC, one of the backstories actually straight rips the Kzinti in that the Klingons were conquered by a technologically advanced civilisation and used as subject-soldiers, then rebelled and took the technology for their own ends. And the cloaking devices were from a brief, ill-fated alliance with the Romulans.

Nov 6, 2002

It's hard to believe the Romulans would willing just give their cloaking tech away, even to an ally. Had to be stolen. Which is dishonorable!!

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

Not all Klingons are warriors, early DS9 showed us they can be awesome chefs too.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

SlothfulCobra posted:

They conquered the greatest threat of all: Tribbles

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Bogus Adventure posted:

They conquered the greatest threat of all: Tribbles

for awhile until scotty beamed a bunch onto one of their ships because he's a gigantic troll

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

blatman posted:

for awhile until scotty beamed a bunch onto one of their ships because he's a gigantic troll

Qo'noS: Tribble-free since 2273

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

blatman posted:

It's extremely impressive the Klingons didn't declare it an act of war.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Hispanic! At The Disco posted:

Not all Klingons are warriors, early DS9 showed us they can be awesome chefs too.

Klingon Opera Chef is the best DS9 character with Garak as a distant second and everyone else a much more distant third :colbert:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Klingons loving rule and I guess OP got wedgied by one because how dare you even question their greatness???

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Klingons totally give people wedgies. You can just tell.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Psycho Landlord posted:

Klingon Opera Chef is the best DS9 character with Garak as a distant second and everyone else a much more distant third :colbert:
This person DS9s like a pro.

Dash Rendar posted:

Klingons totally give people wedgies. You can just tell.
Klingons have 30 different words for "wedgie."

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

mind the walrus posted:

Klingons have 30 different words for "wedgie."

But oddly, no words for "purple nurple."

Nov 6, 2002

Hispanic! At The Disco posted:

I've never seen them eat anything but worms.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Star Trek was always "morality plays in space with contemporary ethics" and how consistent the different actors of the plays are between appearances have always been secondary to the plot

Which is a good thing, btw

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

people in the future loving love worms

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

You gotta get the spices right on your worms.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Every indication is that Klingon worms are loving delicious

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Psycho Landlord posted:

Klingon Opera Chef is the best DS9 character with Garak as a close second and a Sisko distant third :colbert:

FTFY

E: I liked it when high-grav wheelchair lady almost fukkin headbutted him because the worms were dead. :3:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I really like the idea that the freaky rear end Klingon live worms are legitimately incredibly tasty. Some EU suggests they're actually more tasty to the human palate than to Klingons, who aren't as big on the taste but love the feeling of their bodies killing live food. Klingon food in general is interesting, since it makes a lot of sense for a carnivore species.

Also reminded that Star Trek Online has a card game mission about making Klingon-Ferengi fusion cuisine, which makes sense given both species seem to be carnivores who like invertebrates as food on the go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nov 6, 2002