Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Okay, not really, but what if I was in 1950 and my phone is almost out of juice. I didn't have my charger on me because I wasn't expecting to time travel today. Don't even have a USB cable with me. 1950 is boring and I want to listen to music or play a dumb phone game. Is there anyway to get the electricity into my battery without exploding it?

Without power I'll never be able to explain to this guy that the weird plastic brick in my pocket is also a computer.

Protip: If you time travel back to before electricity but you do have a USB cord you can charge your phone with bananas: https://www.joe.co.uk/life/how-to-charge-your-mobile-phone-with-a-banana-video-13017
This might not work if you live somewhere bananas were not locally available back then though. Maybe try lemons or potatoes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
i would go outside and scream racial epitaphs at the sky, it was the thing to do

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

If the movie Back to the Future taught me anything, OP, it's this: Do not gently caress your mom. Nothing good will come of it. Find some crazy haired scientist who doesn't age for like 30 years and charge your phone but don't gently caress your mom.

That's my advice.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay house
gently caress your mom immediately

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Universe Master posted:

If the movie Back to the Future taught me anything, OP, it's this: Do not gently caress your mom. Nothing good will come of it. Find some crazy haired scientist who doesn't age for like 30 years and charge your phone but don't gently caress your mom.

That's my advice.

R.L. Stine posted:

gently caress your mom immediately

I appreciate the input, but my mom wasn't born until 1953. She's not here yet. And I certainly don't want to gently caress any of my grandparents.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

TV really sucks in 1950. I think getting used to HDTV was a mistake. I have no idea what this blurry black and what screen is trying to show me.

Are they people? Who knows! I can't even see individual hairs.

lil bip
Mar 13, 2004

That ain't workin', that's the way you do it
Invent LSD and start dosing the water supply of a small town for shits n' giggles!

OB-GYN Kenobi
Dec 4, 2017
Look on the bright side, 49 years before the birth of this insufferable website.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!
If you know the USB port uses a 5 volt power bus at 1.5 amps for charging then that's pretty much all you'd need to tell the electrician you end up talking to. It'd be easy for anyone with experience maintaining electronics to build a power adapter. The hardest part would be making a connector that mated up to your USB port; everything else would be off the shelf parts.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

20 Blunts posted:

i would go outside and scream racial epitaphs at the sky, it was the thing to do

I think most places it would still be odd for a middle aged lady in weird clothes to stand in the street doing that. Lobotomies were really big back then. OTOH, so was valium. Tough call.

Wait, no, valium wasn't until 1963. gently caress that then.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
I'd sell the phone to the DoD, just tell them it can be used to spy on commies, then live like a loving king for the rest of your future life in the past.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Have you tried gay sex?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Kibbles n Shits posted:

I'd sell the phone to the DoD, just tell them it can be used to spy on commies, then live like a loving king for the rest of your future life in the past.

Do you know that in 2020 there are lost episodes of Doctor Who that nerds are desperate to watch? Some of them still have audio recordings and people like make shoddy animation to go with the audio. Sometimes parts of the episode are only available as old transcripts and people dub in the missing bits. All so they can watch an old black and white show for children.

I guess the moral here is to get the first generation of video recorders as soon as they come out and record everything from the early TV era.

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

CHARIZARD used SMOKESCREEN
It doesn't affect GEORDI THE BLASTOISE!
Here you go, OP.

Print that out and bring it with you and you'll be good to go (unless your phone has a non-standard charging port, in which case get the pinout you need for that.) Just knowing that the phone needs 5V DC wouldn't do you a lot of good if you don't know what pin to send the voltage to, and you wouldn't want to just guess. But if you hand that pinout to an electrician or scientist in 1950 they can probably rig you up a charging station.

Now, if you were in 1850...

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Miles McCloud posted:

Here you go, OP.

Print that out and bring it with you and you'll be good to go (unless your phone has a non-standard charging port, in which case get the pinout you need for that.) Just knowing that the phone needs 5V DC wouldn't do you a lot of good if you don't know what pin to send the voltage to, and you wouldn't want to just guess. But if you hand that pinout to an electrician or scientist in 1950 they can probably rig you up a charging station.

Now, if you were in 1850...

Do you need the port, or can you just take out the battery and charge it directly somehow? I'm worried complex schematics could get me flagged as a russian spy or something. I mean, I'm obviously not russian, but I don't speak fluent 1950 canadian either. And I'd totally fail any spy tests like "who won the 1949 World Series".

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

CHARIZARD used SMOKESCREEN
It doesn't affect GEORDI THE BLASTOISE!

Facebook Aunt posted:

Do you need the port, or can you just take out the battery and charge it directly somehow?

The phone controls the charge to the battery and prevents you from overcharging it. If you try to charge it directly I think you run the risk of exploding it, and then good luck finding a replacement in 1950.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Drink a bunch of battery acid and then plug the chord into your peehole, right up deep in the urethra

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyi_q7hIOmw

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hello, operator? Can you please patch me through to a complete dumbass? Thanks. :phone:

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

Hello, operator? Can you please patch me through to a complete dumbass? Thanks. :phone:

hello here i am a complete dumbass, an absolute doofus. how can i help you

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Wait five years and look for a deloreon

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BIG TIT LIL NIP posted:

hello here i am a complete dumbass, an absolute doofus. how can i help you

I want you to find someone dumber who can solve fewer problems, preferably in the wrong department. :phone:

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010

Facebook Aunt posted:

I appreciate the input, but my mom wasn't born until 1953. She's not here yet. And I certainly don't want to gently caress any of my grandparents.

I will gently caress your grandparents for you

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
This is what charged up JO crystals are for, dumdum

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

You've travelled back to fifties and all you can think about is your dying phone battery? You could go see Elvis live for chrissakes.

Anyway, you have more important work to do first. Nobody in the nineties would believe what a shitshow the world turned into in twenty years, let alone seventy years ago. So here is a list of names... I hope you don't mind getting your hands dirty.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
Ohms law

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Facebook Aunt posted:

Protip: If you time travel back to before electricity but you do have a USB cord you can charge your phone with bananas: https://www.joe.co.uk/life/how-to-charge-your-mobile-phone-with-a-banana-video-13017
This might not work if you live somewhere bananas were not locally available back then though. Maybe try lemons or potatoes?

The 'bananas' charging is pure myth.

You could use lemons if you had a shitload of them and the right metals.

Or 110 pounds of potatos.
https://www.popularmechanics.com/science/energy/a16812/potatoes-power-a-phone

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

BigBadSteve posted:

The 'bananas' charging is pure myth.

You could use lemons if you had a shitload of them and the right metals.

Or 110 pounds of potatos.
https://www.popularmechanics.com/science/energy/a16812/potatoes-power-a-phone

Someone went on the internet and told lies? :(

Maybe 1950 really is better.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

20 Blunts posted:

something like "Here lies John Smith, a Black man. Rest in Peace"?

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

sticksy posted:

This is what charged up JO crystals are for, dumdum

I presume OP has left their charger for that behind too.

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

you wouldn't be able to get to any free wifi though because McDonald's didn't exist in 1950

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Facebook Aunt posted:

Finally a use for bananas. I've been waiting for this for a very long time

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

20 Blunts posted:

Unless you're referring to dead people and what you'd like to have on their tombstone, you're thinking of "epithets".

:eng101:

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
The first thing I would do is kill Hitler.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

Bag Flying At Noon, (2024)
OP get off your phone and start chatting up some sexy 50’s ladies what have the pointy boobs. Or sexy 50’s fellas with those cool hats if that’s your thing.

Snackula
Aug 1, 2013

hedgefund wizard
Wheel-driven bicycle dynamos put out about 6v at 0.5 amp, you're going to get a good workout but your phone will charge eventually

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

If TV and Movies have taught me anything it's that prior to about the very early 1970's approximately 75% of all interactions, polite or otherwise, involved just flat out glaring and insulting the other person, often even striking them for no goddamn reason. So give that a shot. That seemed like everyone enjoyed that.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Hey, OP, how many jiggawatts would your phone need, and is there a clock tower nearby?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

good thread OP havent seen you around in awhile

E: my advice is wear a life preserver and ask for pepsi free

Kibbles n Shits posted:

its the 50s in america, more likely to assume shes a witch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Invent a bra that isn't made of traffic cones and make a fortune