Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
So there's this white cat who popped up at our fence, trying to come under it a few times before our territorial girlcat drove it off. I didn't managed to get a good look at it but today I saw a pretty dirty and INCREDIBLY SAD looking white cat sitting in the front lawn of a neighbour's place, took a photo (it looks so drat sad). Apparently it's the same cat and it might be a cat dumped when those neighbours moved out, because a different neighbour said that the family used to own a white cat. I'm thinking it might have been trying to come over to us because we have cat food it could smell.

What should I do? I obviously don't want to steal someone's cat if it's actually not the same cat, and I couldn't get close to it, but I also don't want to leave an abandoned housecat wandering our pretty dog-filled and car-filled neighbourhood.

cat in question:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Do you have a cat rescue organization nearby? They can assist with trapping cats and rehoming them if it appears they've been abandoned; if nothing else getting them off the street to avoid the hazards you've mentioned would be an excellent first start, and then you can worry about who the owner is, if any.

Peeches
May 25, 2018

coolusername posted:

So there's this white cat who popped up at our fence, trying to come under it a few times before our territorial girlcat drove it off. I didn't managed to get a good look at it but today I saw a pretty dirty and INCREDIBLY SAD looking white cat sitting in the front lawn of a neighbour's place, took a photo (it looks so drat sad). Apparently it's the same cat and it might be a cat dumped when those neighbours moved out, because a different neighbour said that the family used to own a white cat. I'm thinking it might have been trying to come over to us because we have cat food it could smell.

What should I do? I obviously don't want to steal someone's cat if it's actually not the same cat, and I couldn't get close to it, but I also don't want to leave an abandoned housecat wandering our pretty dog-filled and car-filled neighbourhood.

cat in question:

Ohmygosh those eyes! They do look sad. Do you have a neighborhood Facebook group or something? In a perfect world you would get the car microchip scanned, then make every effort to find the owner ( call the shelter etc) if after 10 days and reasonable effort if no one comes forward she is considered abandoned. At least threats l that's the law here.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
No neighbourhood Facebook (it's.. not a nice neighbourhood, really.)

Would the cat get put down if no one claims it if I contact a group? I do want to help but I wouldn't want that.

I'm going to try and find it today again and see if I can give it some cat food and get a little closer, I didn't see a collar or get a really good look.

Peeches
May 25, 2018

You can send them a picture and day I found this cat, here's my contact. That way if the owner is trying to find them they can. Do you want to keep her? If sure doesn't belong to neighbors she's probably abandoned, poor thing.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Nah I'm already in a house with three cats and they're elderly, it wouldn't be fair to my current cats to bring in a fourth. Couldn't find it today but I'm going to keep an eye out tomorrow + send the picture and day to the rescue I just found plus other information.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
I contacted the city's cat rescue people, apparently they're all out of carers BUT they can lend me a trap so I guess I gotta work out who can look after this cat if I can catch it first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peeches
May 25, 2018

coolusername posted:

I contacted the city's cat rescue people, apparently they're all out of carers BUT they can lend me a trap so I guess I gotta work out who can look after this cat if I can catch it first.

Good luck!