Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Ya, traveling far from home to go enjoy the outdoors is pretty unnecessary. Almost everyone has cool things near by, and definitely closer to them than Nepal. Some people like to travel though :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Epitope posted:

Ya, traveling far from home to go enjoy the outdoors is pretty unnecessary. Almost everyone has cool things near by, and definitely closer to them than Nepal. Some people like to travel though :shrug:

For sure. I am firmly fine if you want to go do it. Hanging out down lower in the villages sounds awesome for the culture/experience.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I say this in every Everest thread but gently caress high altitude climbing. I'll hike big stupid mountains happily enough but going above 4-5000m or so... gently caress that poo poo.

A mate and I climbed Huyno Potosi in Bolivia with a tour company, he was super fit and I was in pretty good multiday hiking condition. We were living in la Paz so already acclimatized to around 3600m. First day caught a bus up a ways and hiked up to around 5500m or so, to summit at 6000m the next day. If you know anything about mountaineering you'll notice that's kinda dumb as gently caress but tourists are universally stupid and climbing companies around there don't really care. I couldn't sleep, massive headache, typical altitude sickness symptoms. My buddy was puking this weird black stuff near the top but we pushed on and made it, on the way down he continued to puke and couldn't walk more than a hundred meters before collapsing for a few minutes. I was only marginally better and couldn't breathe for poo poo. I caught the guide's eye and he just shook his head and kept gesturing to hurry the gently caress up. It was getting late and some crevasses were thawing out and we started sinking into them (we were roped together). Very cool stuff. Eventually we made it down, tipped the guide a whole bunch and hosed off back to LA Paz. Coming down was like a weight being lifted off our chests, and buddy thanked me for 'being so strong for him'. On all honesty I was barely keeping up and couldn't have gone much faster. I'll still do big elevation gain hikes with little complaint but you'll need to pay me to go above 5500 again, and a multi day acclimatization to even get to that level.

My takeaway lesson was being a tourist makes you dumb, and going on a guided anything turns you into a trusting fool and so extremely loving stupid. I'm usually really cautious and always happy to turn back if people/conditions are hosed. But I think we just assume if there's a guide and if there's any problem they'll take care of it, or tell you what to do if things go bad. But guides can have an incentive to hit the goal, or just aren't paid enough to give a poo poo (working minimum wage I can accept that). I was a trip guide a hundred years ago and we knew gently caress all about anything and letting us naive inexperienced idiots put a kid in hospital and could have killed her where a trained guide could have avoided that. I guess the lesson is tourists dumb, you'll be dumb, your guide may not know what they're doing, pay for a good company, tip your guide.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Outrail posted:

We were living in la Paz so already acclimatized to around 3600m. First day caught a bus up a ways and hiked up to around 5500m or so, to summit at 6000m the next day. If you know anything about mountaineering you'll notice that's kinda dumb as gently caress

As a highly accomplished Everest thread reader (:v:) I did immediately notice you went up almost 2000m in one day which seems like a lot. Is my recollection correct that the rule of thumb is 1000m per day? This is relevant information for me because apparently there are some roads that go up about that high.

Also that sounds pretty horrible! Did you even enjoy getting to the summit?

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Buttcoin purse posted:

As a highly accomplished Everest thread reader (:v:) I did immediately notice you went up almost 2000m in one day which seems like a lot. Is my recollection correct that the rule of thumb is 1000m per day? This is relevant information for me because apparently there are some roads that go up about that high.

When I did the AC when you got over 3500m or so the rule of thumb is 500m per day. You can go higher as long as you actually sleep lower.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
My high point record is Mauna Kea, in Hawaii. That's going from sea level to 4200m. Of course that's easy when you're being driven up! There's an acclimatisation stop at the visitor centre half-way and you only spent about an hour at the top. I was fine but my travel companion felt the effects badly.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Buttcoin purse posted:

Yes, that's a stupid thing to do and I was stupid.

I did a similar thing taking a bus from sea level up to 3500 or more and after a few hours forced my way onto another bus and demanded to go back down because I was so sick.

I also tried to go from 200m to 4000m over two days, was feeling pretty loving terrible, puking and feeble and just a pathetic mess, then tried to do a hike up a 5000m mountain a day or so after that and made it about half way. I had to lie in the dirt in near freezing temps for a couple of hours before the rest of the group came down. They were all suffering various levels including (apparently) hallucinations. One of them needed to poo poo so just took her pants off in front of the tour guide. I have no idea why I did something so stupid so many times and I'm serious about being on holiday chewing up half your brain cells.

I'm the midst of all that I did a self guided trek to Machu Picchu that involved a 1km altitude gain to 5000m and I was fine. Because I'd acclimatized properly and coca leaves really helped. My hiking buddy wasn't so acclimatized and refused to chew the leaves because he 'wasn't a loving koala' and had a rough night before we got down to a reasonable level.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Aug 4, 2020

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
I had a difficult one last time I went camping in the Gifford Pinchot Wilderness on the foothills of Mt Adams. I grew up at 4500 ft or so above sea level, but recently I’ve been living where I’m basically at sea level for the past 8 years.

I think our camp is about 3500-4000 feet up. So I went to work, went to the gym, had a decent workout, drove however many hours in the August sun, probably didn’t eat enough food along the way, and when I got there immediately started drinking beer.

I was shot. Just utterly gassed out. I went to climb a short grade to my tent and felt like I was climbing stadium stairs. It didn’t dawn on me til the next day that I’ve probably lost some level of my old altitude resistance.

Going back to Montana is miserable after about a week. The elevation and lack of humidity make all my old joint injuries flare up the longer I’m there.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I thought I had altitude sickness one night in Nepal at around 4200m as I was just feeling weird and sick when I was trying to sleep. I really, really didn't want to go back down as I was loving the trek. Turns out I got food poisoning and spent the rest of the night puking and making GBS threads into the squat toilet of the teahouse. I've never been so relieved to be so sick let me tell you.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Pablo Bluth posted:

My high point record is Mauna Kea, in Hawaii. That's going from sea level to 4200m. Of course that's easy when you're being driven up! There's an acclimatisation stop at the visitor centre half-way and you only spent about an hour at the top. I was fine but my travel companion felt the effects badly.

How much an individual is susceptible to altitude effects is basically fully random. When I went up to 5000m I learned that pretty much everything is fine - no headaches, nausea, fluid symptoms or anything - although my resting heart rate is super elevated, which is concerning!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Yeah, that's the annoying thing. I've travelled with two super stupid fit people who could kick my rear end up and down a mountain without a sweat. But after a certain level they're just hosed. Meanwhile some chainsmoking wafflehouse denizen who's never seen the inside of a gym doesn't feel a thing. It's like the universe decided to just roll the dice on people and gently caress your conception of logic and physical fitness.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
If you're trying to do big altitude swings, acetazolamide is your friend.

When I was in Ladakh I took it and after less than a day I was able to help pull a well pump. A friend came later and tried like ginseng or something stupid instead of predosing Diamox and I spent like 3 days treating him for altitude sickness lol

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

When we went into RMNP and spent most of the day around 3600 meters I felt fine. Which isn't amazingly high, but we were coming from Illinois so there was a lot of huffing and puffing. But when we came down from it (~2200 meters) I had an unreal appetite. We stopped at a BBQ place and it felt like there wasn't enough food in the restaurant to fill me up.

I've never eaten that much food in one sitting before or since.

I assume my calorie burn went way up while hiking at heights I'd never visited and that was my body telling me to do something about it.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

I had a difficult one last time I went camping in the Gifford Pinchot Wilderness on the foothills of Mt Adams. I grew up at 4500 ft or so above sea level, but recently I’ve been living where I’m basically at sea level for the past 8 years.

I think our camp is about 3500-4000 feet up. So I went to work, went to the gym, had a decent workout, drove however many hours in the August sun, probably didn’t eat enough food along the way, and when I got there immediately started drinking beer.

I was shot. Just utterly gassed out. I went to climb a short grade to my tent and felt like I was climbing stadium stairs. It didn’t dawn on me til the next day that I’ve probably lost some level of my old altitude resistance.

Going back to Montana is miserable after about a week. The elevation and lack of humidity make all my old joint injuries flare up the longer I’m there.

The beer and the gym certainly had far more to do with your experience than the altitude. Very few people experience meaningful altitude effects below 6000 feet or so and most people don't have much of an impact until 8000-8500 feet.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I live at sea level and my last backpacking trip I drove out there and then hiked to camp at 2800m, got there in the afternoon and felt kinda lovely with a headache and stuff, but that might have also been some dehydration and fatigue as I was trying to hike pretty fast and probably didn't drink enough.
I've done some bike rides that started around 4k feet and up to 10k feet and I found that gave me a lot harder time over 9k feet probably from the effort and faster ascent than hiking. It seemed to mess with my stomach a lot for some reason.

When I summited Mt Whitney at the end of the Jon Muir Trail it was interesting because after almost 3 weeks we were quite well acclimated (slept at 12k feet the night before) and I practically jogged up to the top. Then you see the people trying to day hike it or take 2 days and they are just suffering from the altitude

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Coming down from altitude is fun. I'd been living above 3600m for a couple of months, and ended up at a hostel in Miami with a decent sized pool. I think I could swim five laps underwater without an issue, a month later I could maybe handle half that.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Outrail posted:

Coming down from altitude is fun. I'd been living above 3600m for a couple of months, and ended up at a hostel in Miami with a decent sized pool. I think I could swim five laps underwater without an issue, a month later I could maybe handle half that.

I knew somebody who lived up in the mountains, they handily won a city marathon one place they were visiting at just a few hundred feet above sea level.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I seem to feel the worst after getting down from altitude. I did Grays and Torreys last year and was fine until we got back down to Denver and then I was sick as poo poo for the rest of the day. I seem to get a headache on the way down from a lot of my hikes. Luckily this is no longer an issue as I just don't go outside any more.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/CAMERONUCHIS/status/1290350652468727809

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

The fact that they were trying to bargain 50c USD off a cup of tea just makes it. They should have died.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Inceltown posted:

The fact that they were trying to bargain 50c USD off a cup of tea just makes it. They should have died.

I hate that poo poo. I've traveled with people who insist on bargaining with the locals over everything, and it's fine not to get ripped off for like $20, but there's also a lot of times where it's like "What the gently caress, we're arguing with this dude about $2."

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

PostNouveau posted:

I hate that poo poo. I've traveled with people who insist on bargaining with the locals over everything, and it's fine not to get ripped off for like $20, but there's also a lot of times where it's like "What the gently caress, we're arguing with this dude about $2."

Yeah. My first night in Vietnam a few years ago my partner and I got "taken" for pho at the street place near the hotel. We paid $5 instead of $3. People get legit upset when we say that we forgot to bargain for what was the best meal we ate for days.

We would have been happy spending $20 each for that here.

The value of a deal is how much you enjoy it vs what you spent. Not how much you made someone else worry about feeding their kids tomorrow.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Inceltown posted:

I mean you might very reasonably refuse to serve them but chasing them and getting violent is a bit much.

e: vvv
Oh okay that's a bit of a different case.

Elukka fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Aug 5, 2020

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Given the way the conversation played out, albeit through bad English. It sounds like she dined and dashed after trying to bargain.

edit: Yeah reading a follow up article she drank the tea, refused to pay based on the price of tea in towns not on the mountain and then left without paying. Deserved to get beat.

Terrible Opinions fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Aug 5, 2020

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Terrible Opinions posted:

Given the way the conversation played out, albeit through bad English. It sounds like she dined and dashed after trying to bargain.

edit: Yeah reading a follow up article she drank the tea, refused to pay based on the price of tea in towns not on the mountain and then left without paying. Deserved to get beat.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Daily Mail is a racist/homophobic newspaper from the UK. It 100% makes sense they'd leave the bit out about the white british women stealing.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

hemale in pain posted:

Daily Mail is a racist/homophobic newspaper from the UK. It 100% makes sense they'd leave the bit out about the white british women stealing.

Wait, this guy (the not Hitler guy) is racist?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

even the daily heil can't make that british lady look good

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/jdvdub/status/1290835469660565507

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
They had tea then refused to pay at all. Of course the Daily Fail neglect to mention that. They deserve what they're getting.

MW
May 20, 2001

"Nooooooooo!?"

Inceltown posted:

What always fascinates me about stories like these is that they have to originate from the self-proclaimed victim itself. Not only are they dense enough to even get into the situation, but even after reflecting afterwards and literally seeing and editing the video they themselves took, they still feel like did no wrong. And not just that, they feel so wronged that they need to share with Internet to prove the horrors they were subjected to. I just don't get it.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried
Privilege is a hell of a drug.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

the bit where she's using a grown kid as a shield against her own mistake is just :discourse:

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
The best bit is she's in the wrong anyway because she didn't check what the price was before ordering, and it's questionable she was even paying more than anyone else would have. So she got upset about less than $1 and literally stole from a local businesswoman. What absolute loving trash she absolutely deserved a beating.

I thought the Nepalese woman had a machete at first which is a bit much, but a timber beat down seems about fair.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

PostNouveau posted:

True, and I agree; however, in my experience if you are traveling in a place where bartering occurs, and you have a guide, if you don’t make a good faith effort to not get ripped off, your guide will quickly facilitate you getting ripped off.

Now having said that, no... you should not be fighting some Nepalese person over 50 cents, or two dollars—unless someone is trying to sell you a plastic McDonalds straw for $5; this happened to my ex-wife in India.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

ZombieLenin posted:

True, and I agree; however, in my experience if you are traveling in a place where bartering occurs, and you have a guide, if you don’t make a good faith effort to not get ripped off, your guide will quickly facilitate you getting ripped off.

Oh, your guide gets kickbacks from vendors. This is true absolutely everywhere.

I used to pedi-cab and would get kickbacks from the restaurants I dropped people off at. "What's the best place to get oysters here?" Yeah, it's the place that's paying me $5 for every fat tourist I put on their doorstep.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Why do people enjoy traveling. That video is just depressing. It's cool to be reminded of your privilege, and to grapple with your place in the human world. Seems better to do that during work time though, use vacation for relaxation and rejuvenation. Clearly this isn't how many people feel.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Captain Hygiene posted:

I knew somebody who lived up in the mountains, they handily won a city marathon one place they were visiting at just a few hundred feet above sea level.

High altitude training and high altitude “houses” with lower air pressure are definitely A Thing in VO2max sports, where more blood cells = better than. It’s especially big in cross country skiing in the nordics

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Epitope posted:

Why do people enjoy traveling. That video is just depressing. It's cool to be reminded of your privilege, and to grapple with your place in the human world. Seems better to do that during work time though, use vacation for relaxation and rejuvenation. Clearly this isn't how many people feel.

I haven't been to Nepal or wherever that woman is from, but I don't assume that just because she's chasing someone over 50c means her life is miserable or something. I mean maybe she does wish she was living in the west in an apartment with no fresh air working for a boss who keeps giving her impossible deadlines, and many of us here are privileged that we can do that, but maybe she was just sick of lovely tourists that day, but she might also have lots of visitors who are nice. Maybe some people go there and go "oh $1 for tea is so cheap, I'll just give her $2" and that's nothing out of their $10K vacation budget but it's nice for the locals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I'm pretty sure regardless of price or priveledge you're going to be pissed if someone steals from you after trying to haggle the price.