Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Terrible Opinions posted:

I'm pretty sure regardless of price or priveledge you're going to be pissed if someone steals from you after trying to haggle the price.

Yeah, this.

If you tried to dine and dash at a western restaurant because it was a few buck more than you thought it should be you're looking at a pissed off restaurateur. This has got nothing to do with Nepalese culture and 100% an entitled Karen bringing her I know best entitled attitude on holiday.

Epitope posted:

Why do people enjoy traveling. That video is just depressing. It's cool to be reminded of your privilege, and to grapple with your place in the human world. Seems better to do that during work time though, use vacation for relaxation and rejuvenation. Clearly this isn't how many people feel.

If you have no interest in seeing new cultures with a bit of a culture shock challenge I have no idea how to explain why travelling is fun. Not really having a go at you though. I think motorsports, MMA and anime are loving stupid but some people can't get enough of it and I can't hold that against them, just personal preference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Buttcoin purse posted:

I haven't been to Nepal or wherever that woman is from, but I don't assume that just because she's chasing someone over 50c means her life is miserable or something. I mean maybe she does wish she was living in the west in an apartment with no fresh air working for a boss who keeps giving her impossible deadlines, and many of us here are privileged that we can do that, but maybe she was just sick of lovely tourists that day, but she might also have lots of visitors who are nice. Maybe some people go there and go "oh $1 for tea is so cheap, I'll just give her $2" and that's nothing out of their $10K vacation budget but it's nice for the locals.

She's not chasing the woman over 50 cents, she's chasing her because she didn't pay at all.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Also quite frankly even if it was just the portion that wasn't paid, it isn't acceptable to only pay 75% of a restaurant bill in the UK, why would it be any more acceptable elsewhere. Other than thinking rules made by non-white people are less legitimate.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

There's this idea that in some countries/cultures you're supposed to haggle over all prices; this creates the wildly false idea in some people's heads that if they don't haggle... or if they don't haggle successfully... they're being "ripped off" and taken advantage of. I have a little sympathy for that, it's not that different from the confusion that people visiting the US have with our bizarre tipping culture.

That is, of course, not an excuse for refusing to pay for something. You didn't get the price you haggled for? Pay what they're asking, or don't have the goddamn tea. You don't get to just commit theft. Obviously.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
the cover story of the July issue of National Geographic Everest. there's an expedition to try and find Mallory's camera, but most of the issue is about water problems in India and Pakistan.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Empty Sandwich posted:

there's an expedition to try and find Mallory's camera

Definitely worth risking your life for

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

PostNouveau posted:

Definitely worth risking your life for

I don't know if you read the article, but he LITERALLY DOES THIS THING, SPECIFICALLY AGAINST THE ADVICE OF BOTH THE SHERPA GUIDES AND THE EURO GUIDES.

I'm not spoilering that, bc of course he did but also he's the guy who wrote the article, so

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Empty Sandwich posted:

I don't know if you read the article, but he LITERALLY DOES THIS THING, SPECIFICALLY AGAINST THE ADVICE OF BOTH THE SHERPA GUIDES AND THE EURO GUIDES.

I'm not spoilering that, bc of course he did but also he's the guy who wrote the article, so

A ghostwriter?

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
I’m just assuming the article ends mid word.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

CommunityEdition posted:

I’m just assuming the article ends mid word.

Narrator: he found nothing, and got back safely and the article ends rather lamely.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

ewe2 posted:

Narrator: he found nothing, and got back safely and the article ends rather lamely.

Booooo! We paid for blooooooood!

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I shouldn't have been quite that harsh overall.

He's an experienced mountaineer who never wanted to climb Everest, bc it seemed... tawdry, basically?

But a friend got him interested in finding Mallory's camera, to see if he'd been the first to summit. Mallory's assistant, Irvine, had the camera. A Chinese climber saw what had to be Irvine's body, but it was basically unreachable.

They don't intend to summit, but the Sherpa guides want to (for experience for their crew). They agree, hit the top, then detour on the way down.

The part that sucks is where he's going to rappel into the ravine and the lead Sherpa guide is yelling at him not to, his colleague tells him not to, he tells himself he shouldn't, what with his alive family and all, but then does it anyway.

He lives, Irvine's body isn't there, but they made some loving amazing drone maps of the whole area.

Well, poo poo... I just found a blog about the search, apparently not related to those dudes. He's mad as hell:

https://malloryandirvine.com/2020/06/16/comments-on-2019-search/

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Is this the world’s second most famous ladder?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

lol a photoshoot with the ladder huh?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
All that rope looks like a trip hazard. Somebody could get hurt

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Don’t worry. They fixed it.

https://twitter.com/shen_shiwei/status/1265472237018034179

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Platystemon posted:

Is this the world’s second most famous ladder?

man how many ropes that guy tied into for what looks like no protection and why does it look like he's about to stomp another with his crampon

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Bilirubin posted:

man how many ropes that guy tied into for what looks like no protection and why does it look like he's about to stomp another with his crampon

Welcome to Everest

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

What is the world's most famous ladder?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Munin posted:

Ladder Theory

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Right. Oh man.

I hadn't actually come across that one.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Munin posted:

Contender: https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/immovable-ladder-church-holy-sepulchre
Or, although rarely talked about directly, the ladder on the Apollo 11 moonlander is now destined to be noticed subconsciously by a non-trival percentage of humankind until such time as society collapses.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Na y’all got it all wrong it’s this guy

gently caress those ladders

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

George H.W. oval office posted:

Na y’all got it all wrong it’s this guy

gently caress those ladders

I think this is technically a bridge. Or possibly a pastry or sandwich.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
That's a taco.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Munin posted:

The one that’s been at a church in Jerusalem for three centuries and can’t be moved because four sects have been having a pissing match there for yet more centuries

Pablo Bluth posted:

Contender: https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/immovable-ladder-church-holy-sepulchre
Or, although rarely talked about directly, the ladder on the Apollo 11 moonlander is now destined to be noticed subconsciously by a non-trival percentage of humankind until such time as society collapses.

Hmm now that you mention it, Eagle’s ladder is an interesting case. It’s not the star of its show, but it’s been seen by billions more than the others. Even being a space nerd, the most I’ve heard anyone talk about the ladder itself is in the context of the Dick Nixon lunar plaque which is mounted on it or discussing the precise timeline of Armstrong’s descent from the capsule.

If I’d thought about it, I might have demoted the “China ladder” to third place, but not thinking about it is kind of telling.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Aug 31, 2020

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Crazycryodude posted:

Welcome to Everest

OMG he's ascending the one rope with a Jumar hahaha

Sigmund Fraud
Jul 31, 2005

Bilirubin posted:

Looks like he's rapping one doubled up rope that appears to be tied on one end to the base of the ladder to make it easier to rapp sideways.

hosed up to have a ladder on low third class terrain.

Sigmund Fraud fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Sep 1, 2020

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Sigmund Fraud posted:

Looks like he's rapping one doubled up rope that appears to be tied on one end to the base of the ladder to make it easier to rapp sideways.

seriously though that crack to the left is an elevator

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

The Apollo 11 ladder was my first thought. I knew about the Holy Sepulcher ladder but it had slipped my mind.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Bilirubin posted:

seriously though that crack to the left is an elevator

Everest is not for people with climbing skills.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Everest is not for people

SplitDestiny
Sep 25, 2004

Sigmund Fraud posted:

It's basically guided via ferrata at altitude. You'll never see a paying client fixing a line or placing any sort of protection (outside of clipping into a line). Not that I would trust it if they did.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real

quote:

The so-called immovable ladder[c] under the window of the Church of the Holy Sepulchre, made of Lebanon cedar wood, was in place by 1728 and has remained there ever since the 1757 status quo was established, aside from being temporarily moved twice.

Pretty good ladder.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
The so-called immovable ladder, which has never been moved except for the times that it was

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
everything moves, its relative.

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

I used to be TheRealLuquado

Crime on a Dime posted:

everything moves, its relative.

The ladder, the ledge, the structure, the city it’s in are all moving right now!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Just remember that you're standing on a planet that's evolving, and revolving at 900 miles an hour. It's orbiting at 19 miles a second, so it's reckoned, the sun that is the source of all our power. Now the sun, and you, and me, and all the stars that we can see, are moving at a million miles a day, in the other spiral arm at 40,000 miles an hour of a galaxy we call the Milky Way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
On the other hand, science points towards us living in a Block Universe so time and motion is all an illusion.