Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

bird with big dick posted:

I don't understand the people that bring both a multi tool and a hunting knife. Yeah, skinning a deer with your multi tool is going to suck poo poo but 1. you're not going to kill a deer and 2. who gives a poo poo do it anyway.

I feel like the biggest multi tool they'll let you bring, OR a 10" Bowie knife are both solid options, but not both. And it should be something like a Bowie or a spear point, get the gently caress outta here with your 10" kukris and karambits and fuckin tantos.
I think I remember that the dude that skipped the ferro rod in season 6 brought a knife and a pocket knife or something and I was like, wait, isn't the pocket knife totally redundant?

Yeah okay here's his list.
1. Sleeping bag
2. Pot
3. Knife
4. Fishing line and hooks
5. Pocket knife
6. Gill Net
7. Ax
8. Emergency ration
9. Paracord
10. Bow and arrows

Mostly good but why would you not bring a ferro rod instead of the pocket knife? Why do you need two knives? At least taking 3 days to start a fire probably taught him that lesson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I'd like to the the ancient technology youtube guy try this. Start him off in spring with a crate of food and see how long it takes him to become self sufficient.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

PetraCore posted:

I think I remember that the dude that skipped the ferro rod in season 6 brought a knife and a pocket knife or something and I was like, wait, isn't the pocket knife totally redundant?

Yeah okay here's his list.
1. Sleeping bag
2. Pot
3. Knife
4. Fishing line and hooks
5. Pocket knife
6. Gill Net
7. Ax
8. Emergency ration
9. Paracord
10. Bow and arrows

Mostly good but why would you not bring a ferro rod instead of the pocket knife? Why do you need two knives? At least taking 3 days to start a fire probably taught him that lesson.

anyone that doesn't bring a tarp is beyond stupid. that's the number one best item on the list by far and it isn't even close. If I could bring two tarps I would.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

The Walrus posted:

anyone that doesn't bring a tarp is beyond stupid. that's the number one best item on the list by far and it isn't even close. If I could bring two tarps I would.

At least one person in season 2? does.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

That's fine. I guess you're just losers then.

I think they give you a tarp that doesn’t count as one of your items but a lot of people get a second tarp.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

My list.
1. Mosquito repellant
2. Nokia N-Gage
3. 8 watts of solar panels
4. Low-power laptop, so I can shitpost
5. Wal-mart three-wheeled cart, as cheap as possible
6. Sunscreen
7. A rain coat, for in case if it rains
8. $25 wal-mart sleeping bag with Dora the Explorer on it
9. Ninja stars, for personal protection
10. I dunno, some raisins probably, that should hold me over for a few days

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Leperflesh posted:

My list.
1. Mosquito repellant
2. Nokia N-Gage
3. 8 watts of solar panels
4. Low-power laptop, so I can shitpost
5. Wal-mart three-wheeled cart, as cheap as possible
6. Sunscreen
7. A rain coat, for in case if it rains
8. $25 wal-mart sleeping bag with Dora the Explorer on it
9. Ninja stars, for personal protection
10. I dunno, some raisins probably, that should hold me over for a few days

those are clearly not on the webpage relevant to this discussion

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

I for one would like to see how that goes.

Letting the audience choose the items would be fun, if only to see their reactions.

I'm sure you could use a rubber chicken to call in a moose.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
We watched all of Alone and while we liked it, it became super obvious that for the most part, just going into the competition fat and doing the minimal effort to stay warm and toughing it out is the play, not any fancy poo poo.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
you could say ive been training for alone for years

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

lovely word

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3714480

e. goddamn, I forgot about The huge fuckin' burrito in a Pelican case lmao

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Feb 17, 2021

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

he was so close though

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

I think obviously what needs to happen here is that you need to post your item lists
Oops! All candles!

Sirotan posted:

At least one person in season 2? does.

A third tarp. They got two freebies in Season 2.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

PetraCore posted:

Mostly good but why would you not bring a ferro rod instead of the pocket knife? Why do you need two knives?

So you can use your Two-Weapon Fighting Feats when you end up having to fight a bear. :colbert:

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

I still don't understand why his journey cross country started in the woods when his plan was to follow roads (and stop for meals at McDonald's).

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

:perfect:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
In the tail end of the second season now and they did not need to add 3 episodes to this show. Nothing interesting has happened in that time it's been all whining and moaning for days and days.

They should do a season of weirdo loners I think someone might last through winter with no kids or wife or family to go home to.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Zero One posted:

I still don't understand why his journey cross country started in the woods when his plan was to follow roads (and stop for meals at McDonald's).

Stress-testing his equipment and plan, I think. Which was actually sort of a reasonable idea? But his plan was to wheel a wal-mart cart around on hiking trails, and survive entirely on raisins because he was also a picky eater

also I forgot a bunch of the details, lol he was gonna bring an airsoft gun to scare enemies with, had no plan for getting his bipolar meds filled, and was not planning to bring a way to cook food

Algol Star
Sep 6, 2010

Started watching season 1 and while I have exactly zero survival experience it stands out how obsessed with hunting they all are. Usually in ways that seem like best case scenario is mild starvation (shout out to the guy who sets up like 3 rocks to crush mice and expects it to feed him). From my limited understanding a forest even in winter should have plenty of nuts, berries, seeds, edible plants etc to get a reasonable carb intake.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

I don't understand the people that bring both a multi tool and a hunting knife. Yeah, skinning a deer with your multi tool is going to suck poo poo but 1. you're not going to kill a deer and 2. who gives a poo poo do it anyway.

I feel like the biggest multi tool they'll let you bring, OR a 10" Bowie knife are both solid options, but not both. And it should be something like a Bowie or a spear point, get the gently caress outta here with your 10" kukris and karambits and fuckin tantos.

A kukri is actually a legitimate choice because if you know what you're doing with it, it can replace both a bowie knife and an axe. I've had one as part of my standard camping gear for 15 years and it's incredibly useful. Easily capable of cutting up firewood, filleting a fish, and hammering in stakes with the butt.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Mouse guy is, as far as I can tell, the only contestant who got calories from anything other than the Sea.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Leviathan Song posted:

A kukri is actually a legitimate choice because if you know what you're doing with it, it can replace both a bowie knife and an axe. I've had one as part of my standard camping gear for 15 years and it's incredibly useful. Easily capable of cutting up firewood, filleting a fish, and hammering in stakes with the butt.

Fair, but give the amount of wood everyone needs for fire and usually shelter, I think they should just bite the bullet and bring a real axe.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Leviathan Song posted:

Just baton the bowie. You think this bad mammer jammer can't do some axe work? I just hacked through my three inch maple bannister in three swings.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
My ten items for Alone season 8:
Tarp
Ferrorod
Axe body spray
Pot (4oz sour diesel)
Switch lite
"10 guys hamburger" (2x five guys hamburger)
Full sheet cake (vanilla buttercream frosting)
Neck pillow
unabomber manifesto
Extra switch battery

Wish me luck!

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Platystemon posted:

Fair, but give the amount of wood everyone needs for fire and usually shelter, I think they should just bite the bullet and bring a real axe.

Yeah, and the two people that I remember that definitely had kukris (out of the few seasons I've seen) they both definitely had an axe with them (Alan from season 1 and Nicole from season 2 IIRC).

My question now is if it makes sense to bring both an axe and a saw. Lot of people do. Obviously there are tasks at which each is more efficient I just wonder if an axe is good enough and the item could be better used on something else.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I tell you what Mary Kate in season 2 wishes she'd been batoning instead of axing

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Magic Underwear posted:

My ten items for Alone season 8:
Tarp
Ferrorod
Axe body spray
Pot (4oz sour diesel)
Switch lite
"10 guys hamburger" (2x five guys hamburger)
Full sheet cake (vanilla buttercream frosting)
Neck pillow
unabomber manifesto
Extra switch battery

Wish me luck!

this seems like a good compromise

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

I tell you what Mary Kate in season 2 wishes she'd been batoning instead of axing

Man that lady hosed herself up real good that was gnarly

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I've actually had a kukri in my cart on Bladehq for a couple days, just waiting for a previous return to get refunded before I buy. There's no doubt they're considered (I don't own one so I wouldn't know) to be superior for chopping but every time I see one on Alone they're either getting used to gut a fish or whittle and with their curve and relatively blunt point it seems like they'd be pretty awkward for those things, though they can obviously perform those tasks if that's your only option.

I was looking at this one but they don't have a huge kukri selection so maybe I should check other sites

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Fox-Knives-Extreme-Tactical-Kukri--22609

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Yeah, and the two people that I remember that definitely had kukris (out of the few seasons I've seen) they both definitely had an axe with them (Alan from season 1 and Nicole from season 2 IIRC).

My question now is if it makes sense to bring both an axe and a saw. Lot of people do. Obviously there are tasks at which each is more efficient I just wonder if an axe is good enough and the item could be better used on something else.

I’ve seen a lot of saw use, but nothing that really justifies it over five pounds of food.

Maybe in one of the seasons I haven’t watched someone makes an invaluable structure that would be impossible with an axe, but I doubt it.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Season 1: Dude makes a canoe in like 2 days, it owns bones gets him all over the place

Season 2: Dude makes a canoe in like 20 days, it's rickety as poo poo

Am I falling for some editing trick here?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
There was also the boat in the first season that was just branches wrapped in a tarp.

Original strategy do not steal: spend all your effort building the best drat boat, then sail it in front of the other contestants to psych them out.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

The first season dudes was like a flat bottomed rowboat it floated but was a lot of effort to row around. Second season dude basically built 97% of a legit full on kayak it just turns out that last 3% is the part that keeps it from tipping over

Denarius
Feb 25, 2013

I was looking at this one but they don't have a huge kukri selection so maybe I should check other sites

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Fox-Knives-Extreme-Tactical-Kukri--22609

That seems kind of expensive, $200 puts you in the hand made kukri world. An Angkhola Dui Chirra from Kailash blades with all the bells and whistles: performance grind, full tang, and micarta handles is only $230. I've strongly considered getting one myself, that's what I'd choose if I did.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

One hammock with all the fixins (underquilt, bug net, tarp, straps) (5)

500 pounds of oats (6)

500 pounds of dried fruit of many varieties (7)

1,000 gallons of distilled water (to cook the oats, 8)

One camp stove (9)

200 small propane tanks for the stove (10)

It ain't hard.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

I had a friend of a friend that did a week-long solo kayaking trip on nothing but peanut butter. I have no idea how, or why, but since it's so energy dense the theory at least is sound. The intestinal distress is not.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

In the newer seasons of Alone they start getting people are are really legit and could probably stay out there indefinitely if they weren't put in such a harsh and horrible area.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

TBH I think Donny made an ok decision tapping out when he did, you can wait out food poisoning sometimes if you've got a decent supply of fresh, clean water and can afford to take a day or so purging your system BUT I also don't think it's super disappointing to like... take care of your health especially coming from where he was as a heart attack survivor and one who almost died bc he ignored his own body until it was too late. Sucks to not win and he shouldn't have eaten that muskrat but he got unlucky and it felt like he was getting sort of delirious from the dehydration before tapping out.

People underestimate how bad simple sickness can be for you in a survival situation I think, diarrhea and vomiting can absolutely be a killer if you can't keep hydrated.

I really liked his shelter, seemed nice and cozy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

S1 day 1: The guy crying because he doesn’t have his gun contrasted against the guy saying “there were wolves outside my tent, it was fine” is :chefkiss: :chefskiss: wtf is this emoji?!

Switchback fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Feb 17, 2021