Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I would assume / hope that they already have the cast in isolation somewhere? So they actually can be (more) confident they aren't sending someone in to get everyone sick? Really curious what plans they have in place if someone on the cast / multiple crew members end up getting Covid during the season?

Also, real interesting concept having Americans live in quarantine for 90 days... oh...

Supposedly the cast is currently in a full 2 week quarantine before moving in.

I think the cast should be pretty safe during filming. They're not going to be making direct contact with anyone outside of the castmembers for the duration of filming, so the only point of infection would be surfaces brought in by production (just food and challenge stuff, right?) and everything is supposedly being wiped down before entering the house. If someone on the cast does somehow get it they would certainly have to cancel the entire season (by the time they detect one person getting it, everyone will have gotten it) so they must be pretty confident in whatever set up they cobbled together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
They're giving a weekly COVID test to all the houseguests today and it makes me wonder what they're going to do when they get an inevitable false positive at some point in the season. Does a single positive result mean they get pulled immediately? Will the BB fandom ever recover if we lose Janelle in the middle of her HoH reign next week due to a false positive test??

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

Its a weird situation because anyone who tests positive should be pulled but also if they test positive while living in such close proximity with the rest of the cast than they should be quarantined as well... which I guess they are... but if one has it they could be spreading it... It really does seem like one positive test should shut the whole season down.

Yeah I had assumed the same thing until I found out they were doing the weekly tests for everyone. A quick Google says that 1 in every 20 nasal swab tests returns a false positive, and they'll be doing over 30 of these things in the first 2 weeks alone. Maybe they're using some more accurate test?

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
Day's decision on this vote doesn't even really matter. In the "good" universe where Bay/Day/Ian flip, it's probably because they think Christmas is with them, and when the votes come in 6-6 instead of 7-5 that side will enter a Foutte-style tailspin of "who flipped" that they would never recover from.

I'll try to be the optimist here and hope that a Jaysar HoH win tonight can still turn the season around. I think the title of HoH and that room really helps in consolidating power, especially for the dumb new school players. Bayleigh basically said as much last week when she was confused about why you wouldn't vote out the HoH would want you to vote. We also basically saw it in Season 21 where the outsiders kept ratting each other out to Gr8ful except for that brief, beautiful first 48 hours of Cliff's HoH where Cliff/Nicole/Kat/Jess actually got in the same page until they got derailed by the twist. Jaysar's problem isn't that they can't even get people to entertain allying with them (like, say, Jess/Cody in 19), they just can't actually consolidate those allies and hold them together for more than a few hours at a time.

That said, it sounds like tonight is (at best) a crap shoot so the odds of even getting this outcome are like 15%.

(I say at best because it also sounds like it might be Knockout-style which would basically bring the odds down to 0% unless Jaysar can shoot the moon)

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
The original Twitter theory was actually sort of interesting: that Tyler may have hit the button before his last mug settled into "3" and not "2." A frame-by-frame shows that's not actually true (it just barely made it to 3) but only by a fraction of a second. If he was a quarter of a second faster they legitimately may* have had to retroactively declare Janelle the winner.

*(They wouldn't have done anything)

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
Kaysar and the fandom have plenty of reason to be annoyed at these chuckleheads, but Bayleigh winning the veto and not using it on him wouldn't be a great reason. Enzo would just put up Day, right? Day is almost certainly better for Bayleigh's game than Kaysar.

There's no "good" outcome for the outsiders this week even if they did all magically wake up and decide to work together. I guess the best case scenario is losing David or Kevin who seem to be the craziest and worst at challenges?

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
Someone humor me and paint me the scenario where Kaysar stays this week. I can usually squint and imagine some crazy 1% probability situation where the dead-to-rights person stays, but I really can't come up with anything this week.

Something like Day/Bay/Ian/Kevin secretly plot to keep Kaysar, Kaysar convinces Memphis to give him a sympathy vote, and Dani throws a (decisive) hinky vote? Is this anything? Somebody, please, help. :(

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
Fixing the casting and making the comps less physical are two of the easiest things to do to make the show better, but I still think The Twist Era really broke this show (and sort of Survivor too). When you tinker with the game mechanics so much you erode the players' trust in the rules of the show which makes them want to stick together in big blobby alliance to try to ride the wave of whatever the show throws at them.

The twists this season haven't even been that bad (the Safety Suite was actually mechanically interesting!) but it's going to take years of scaling back twists to actually change the metagame. You see it a little bit explicitly (everyone saying they're only voting Kaysar out because Janelle will inevitably come back in the Battleback), but the damage is still there even if it's not spoken about. If you want to turn on your alliance in one of these shows you have to be able to strategize together a longterm plan, and you can't do that if your constantly worried about new unpredictable secret powers (even if your imagination may be worse than anything the show actually throws at you). It also doesn't help that you have no recent players to model your strategic game after because essentially every successful player in this modern era has followed the same safe metagame to avoid these twist landmines.

I had sort of hoped Jackson would break this trend by showing you can turn on your alliance and still win the game, but the lesson the players seem to have learned from that (if any) is "the only viable way to turn against your alliance is to win every competition in the second half of the game."

All that said, while this season is definitely awful, it's hard to blame production *too* hard this time just because they had such bad luck with those HoHs. Janelle, Kaysar, and Day coming in narrow second places for HoH three weeks in a row was a catastrophe, and any one of those three HoHs going another way could have very well changed the course of the season. If Janelle had won that third week HoH and got out one of Cody or Nicole then, for all we know, this may have turned out to be one of the best seasons ever.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
Since there's no bad ideas in brainstorming, I've been toying around in my head about a version of Big Brother that combines the US format and the International format by booting 2 people each week (one by house vote, one by audience vote). I think we're past the point of America voting out "the interesting people" (like BBUS 1), and I suspect America would prioritize voting out, in order, (1) any member of a boring/toxic steamrolling majority, followed by (2) boring do-nothing floaters.

By keeping house votes in play you still have strategy and politicking dictacting most of the week's action, but also losing a houseguest each week by public vote incentivizes flashier play and constantly shaking up the game.

I'm sure this would cause new long term problems (dealing with the frustrations of manipulative edits possibly steering a weekly public vote), but as a short-term way to shake up the metagame it seems as good of an idea as any other.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
The size of the cast is also a variable that would be easy to tweak and probably pay some dividends. It's no coincidence that the gameplay really started to get stale almost exactly when the show started using 16 houseguests. The longer the gap the gap between Day 1 and Day [Whenever only 1 or 2 nonthreatening members of the minority alliance are left so it finally makes sense for the majority to start turning on itself], the longer the strategic game stays stable and grows stale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
The one "good" thing about this season being a bust is they will almost certainly pump out more BB before next summer now that they have production worked out so we should get a do-over soon enough. Julie already teased a new Celebrity back at the start of this season in some interview.

If Survivor really is grounded for a year maybe they can do a Survivor alumni edition in the Spring. Looking forward to that with its inevitable Final 2 of Jeff Varner and Dan Spilo.