Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Ok guys, I called Tim Utah, the President of Utah and explained the whole alcohol thing. Big misunderstanding, apparently. He had no idea. Anyway, all set, glad to help.

Bless you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Pawn 17 posted:

Very telling that the only thing goons living in Utah care about is booze.

That's goons everywhere dude

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
weed would be nice too.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Stevie Lee posted:

Brandon Davies got kicked off the basketball team because he had sex lmao

Someone should have told him about soaking.

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal

FEMA summer camp posted:

There are a few tunnel systems underneath SLC, there's that one with the carpeted floors and motion detectors and some others that are way cooler if you find a way to sneak in

Beautiful. My biggest regret working at the old main library was never trying to break into the tunnel access in the sub-basement.

old beast lunatic posted:

Utah is beautiful and a good place to live. Been living in extreme southern Utah since 2005. Only advice I have is get a good 4x4 so you can get away from people who universally suck rear end regardless of what stupid religion they are.

Ooh what part? What's the racism level?

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

promising carl posted:

Ooh what part? What's the racism level?

I live outside of Kanab. My property backs up to commie public land so I have a functionally infinite back yard full of zion-ish canyons ... it owns.

People give Utah a lot of poo poo for being dumb racist hicks, but grew up in Appalachian PA within two hours of Philly and New York and I swear to christ people were a lot more racist and twice as stupid there.

Not giving Utah a pass though. They're pretty stupid here. I was the only guy in the hardware store wearing a mask the other day. Getting wierd looks from old guys who have a good chance of croaking from the rona.

old beast lunatic fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jul 24, 2020

FEMA summer camp
Jan 22, 2006

weed would be nice too.

Whats the deal with the weed store in Wendover now? Could someone from SLC just make the road trip for legal weed or does UHP watch the parking lots of the place and pull over people coming back like they used to do for Evanston and fireworks?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that's most hardware stores

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

Edgar posted:

Heh, the magic underwear I used to wear was pretty much white boxer briefs and a white t-shirt with mason symbols stitched into them.

Don't forget Utah goons, it's July 24, so it is officially Pie and Beer day.

Headed out to get a pie and beer right now

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

I live outside of Kanab. My property backs up to commie public land so I have a functionally infinite back yard full of zion-ish canyons ... it owns.

People give Utah a lot of poo poo for being dumb racist hicks, but grew up in Appalachian PA within two hours of Philly and New York and I swear to christ people were a lot more racist and twice as stupid there.

Not giving Utah a pass though. They're pretty stupid here. I was the only guy in the hardware store wearing a mask the other day. Getting wierd looks from old guys who have a good chance of croaking from the rona.

Man that's an absolutely gorgeous area and it sounds like you've got it made as far as where you live.

I'd love to live there someday for all the hiking and landscapes, but yeah, the people would not be one of the drawing factors.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
Gotta admit, the root beer I drank in Riverdale 28 years ago today was pretty delicious.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

The Rat posted:

Man that's an absolutely gorgeous area and it sounds like you've got it made as far as where you live.

I'd love to live there someday for all the hiking and landscapes, but yeah, the people would not be one of the drawing factors.

Been here 15 years and I still feel like an away team redshirt. Growing up on the east coast I might as well be living on mars. It's amazing. I was always sort of anti-social so the change fit like a glove.

Rural Utah does indeed have some insane motherfuckers, but they're indistinguishable from and most of the time less terrifying than the insane motherfuckers I knew in rural PA. (I think the space helps)

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010
SLC punk! is a good movie. Utah seems beautiful. That is all.

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal

Yeah, hopefully things have changed for the better. I still refuse to stop in Washington for any reason on my way to Vegas.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Been here 15 years and I still feel like an away team redshirt. Growing up on the east coast I might as well be living on mars. It's amazing. I was always sort of anti-social so the change fit like a glove.

Rural Utah does indeed have some insane motherfuckers, but they're indistinguishable from and most of the time less terrifying than the insane motherfuckers I knew in rural PA. (I think the space helps)

I've visited Utah somewhere around ten times so far, just doing the hiking bum thing and sleeping in my car. The landscapes always blow me away, nothing else like them anywhere.

Realized at some point that the reason they were so evocative to me was the similarity to some of the alien landscapes painted in Calvin and Hobbes that I read growing up. And then I got one of the anniversary editions where Bill Watterson said that his inspiration was the southwest, and a big lightbulb went off.

Aeryk
Aug 31, 2006

Ah. It must have been when I was younger.
Fun Shoe
Kanab isn't real, Hollywood made it up for cowboy movies. Some people just aren't in on the joke.

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal

The Rat posted:

I've visited Utah somewhere around ten times so far, just doing the hiking bum thing and sleeping in my car. The landscapes always blow me away, nothing else like them anywhere.

Realized at some point that the reason they were so evocative to me was the similarity to some of the alien landscapes painted in Calvin and Hobbes that I read growing up. And then I got one of the anniversary editions where Bill Watterson said that his inspiration was the southwest, and a big lightbulb went off.

I remember reading somewhere that there's a simulated Mars habitat in southern Utah (or was just planned maybe?)

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

promising carl posted:

I remember reading somewhere that there's a simulated Mars habitat in southern Utah (or was just planned maybe?)

Yup, near Hanksville iirc. Which is itself near Goblin Valley state park, as seen in Galaxy Quest. (The movie's production was enough to pay to get paved roads to that park, actually.)

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I love when people come from Utah to Colorado and expect our liquor laws to be super progressive

We just got full strength beer in grocery stores like last year

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

promising carl posted:

Yeah, hopefully things have changed for the better. I still refuse to stop in Washington for any reason on my way to Vegas.

The tourism push by the state has changed things quite a bit here. (the mighty 5!!!) Lots of new hotels in town. Lots of 4x4's with magnetic stickers selling tours. I was contemplating getting in on the off-road tours thing before the Rona hit, people were charging 200 bux a seat to go to places I go for fun. and I completely understand why... Like The Rat said, it's as close to exploring a beautiful alien world as most of us will get stuck here on earth.

Plus side is that racist morons are quieter. Downside is half of California decides to escape the rona here and brings it with.

E: since this is the thread i'm shitpostin' in today here's another neowise

old beast lunatic fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jul 24, 2020

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

tango alpha delta posted:

They may have indeed invested in it. Probably Coca Cola too. IIRC, mormons are taught from a young age to be smart with money.

Yet they tithe 10% of their income to a cult.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Fame Douglas posted:

___/
:smuggo:

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
:stare:

Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004

Hell Yeah posted:

it's not any larger on the map, so this is a very suspicious claim imo

Very underrated post here

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
Our beer has a sin tax on it :(

But the state is growing like crazy, my city had a population of 20k when I moved in 2011, 35k by 2018, I don't know for 2020 but i'm seeing way more subdivisions popping up all over the place. I wouldn't be shocked if it is 45k by now.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

Who What Now posted:

I've yet to find a Mormon that wasn't a two pump chump

I was talking, as usual, about the mormon ladies, who are into it, if you get what im saying. they're into it

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal
I like to dip my beer in fry sauce.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Who What Now posted:

I've yet to find a Mormon that wasn't a two pump chump

Pretty sure sex without the intention of conception is a sin against Joseph Smith himself and results in instant disintegration by Space Jesus, so naturally Mormon dudes have no idea how to do it right.

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

One of Utah's fastest growing cities is going to run out of water: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-05-18/st-george-utah-is-booming-and-guzzling-water

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

St George is just Utah's Florida so they'll get what they deserve

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Fame Douglas posted:

lol, where do you actually draw the line? every religion even loosely based on Judaism is actually a cult.

The Hebrews actually borrowed a lot from their Egyptian 'employers' if you really want to get technical.

To get back on track, Utah has some of the best hiking trails in the country.

FEMA summer camp
Jan 22, 2006

oh poo poo that's going to restrict them to less than a dozen golf courses

barbarism

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

we must stop utah at all costs.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Idaho is worse than Utah and Wyoming is worse than Idaho.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

i did a book report on utah in middle school for some reason and the salt lake drag racing bullshit is actually cool as poo poo. im sorry i said utah must be stopped, im sure its fine. im just a simple bog man and the thought of so much salt in one place kinda freaks me out. i hope you can understand how i misintepreted my own emotions and jumped to a startling conclusion.

im gonna say just give utah a chance. i feel a lot better now.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
god damnit I wanted to get some Uinta detour IPA for a friday night comet watching buzz but I forgot about dumb mormon second fourth of july and the booze store is closed.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

gently caress Man posted:

Very underrated post here

Hell Yeah

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal

god damnit I wanted to get some Uinta detour IPA for a friday night comet watching buzz but I forgot about dumb mormon second fourth of july and the booze store is closed.

You'll have to settle for 5% beer but at least it will be cold.

hate hoot
Nov 7, 2012

Aeryk posted:

Kanab isn't real, Hollywood made it up for cowboy movies. Some people just aren't in on the joke.

Best thing about Kanab (and Utah) is Best Friends Animal Sanctuary: https://bestfriends.org/sanctuary

You can have a sleepover with a pig!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Lol imagine living in Utah and being like haha I want to live in Utah and I really wanted to move here and raise a family here in loving Utah in a place almost as dreadful and boring as Ohio haha I live in Ohio gently caress this stupid rear end state

utahs actually nice the people make it bad. ohio is just bad all the way down.