Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

What is this game?

This is an SRPG game based on South Park. It's also a sequel to South Park: The Stick of Truth.

Should I play Stick of Truth before watching this LP?

All you need to know is that our protagonist (New Kid) is King Douchebag at the end of the game.

You should go play it anyway, if only to know how batshit crazy it is. Or at least read DN's LP of it.

So is this game mundane?

Not really, this game has a lot of crazy moments. And that means that I have to ask for ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS. Not even in tags. Spoilers for Stick of Truth is free game, though. Also, the game have this to say:

Steam Store page posted:

This Game may contain content not appropriate for all ages, or may not be appropriate for viewing at work: Nudity or Sexual Content, Frequent Violence or Gore, General Mature Content

Thus, I'm going to put every update in an SSLP. To be on the safe side, just assume that every update is NSFW. Consider yourself warned.

I'm offended by a certain part of the game! :argh:

This is South Park. If it's offensive, then it's most likely intended. You'll just have to deal with it :colbert:

Yes, you might feel the need to vent and have discussions about it. However, considering the current climate, it's VERY HARD to have a political discussion without it turning into a flame war. Therefore, I'll have to ask for ABSOLUTELY NO POLITICS TALK in this thread. The mod have spoken. We'll see how it goes...

In short: NO SPOILERS and NO POLITICS.

Day 1
Update 1. The Beginning
Update 2. Douchebag VS Dragon Tank
Update 3. New Kid VS Intruders
Update 4. Buttlord VS Stripe
Update 5. Buttlord VS Conformity
Update 6. Buttlord VS Human Kite from an Alternate Universe
Update 7. Buttlord VS Sixth Graders
Update 8. Buttlord VS Random Encounters
Update 9. Buttlord VS Rednecks
Update 10. Buttlord VS Priests
Update 11. Buttlord VS Annoying Commentators
Update 12. Buttlord VS A Black Man
Update 13. Buttlord VS Freedom Pals

Night 1
Update 14. Buttlord VS Drunks
Update 15. Buttlord VS Bitches

1234567890num fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Oct 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Update 1. The Beginning

1234567890num fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jul 27, 2020

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

This one is much more purestain South Park that the previous title, so I 100% don't blame you for test poster updates only. This is going to be a...ride I suppose is the word.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Good luck with this LP. I miss DoubleNegative's SSLP of the same game and will be following yours.

Iamgoofball
Jul 1, 2015

1234567890num posted:

I'm offended by a certain part of the game! :argh:

This is South Park. If it's offensive, then it's most likely intended. You'll just have to deal with it :colbert:. And to prevent this thread from getting too heated, I'll have to ask for ABSOLUTELY NO POLITICS TALK in this thread.

In short: NO SPOILERS and NO POLITICS.

Okay, no, stop.

This is a South Park game.

The vast majority of South Park is inherently political, and Trey/Matt's political views tie into a fuckton of the jokes in this game and in the entire series.

You literally can't have a meaningful discussion about South Park without taking into consideration the political message of the show, however crappy it may be. The two dumbasses who write the show pride themselves on how much of fence sitting centrists they are, and "EVERYONE IS poo poo, NOTHING MATTERS, LOL!" is a core thesis of all South Park content, this game included.

Combine that with Ubisoft's inability to write anything good and you've got a recipe for a complete dumpster fire of political messaging and racist garbage.

You don't get to say "NO POLITICS" in a thread for South Park because if you take out the politics, the only thing left is the poop jokes and the racism.

also, "you just have to deal with it" re: offensive content is extremely yikes. I'll eat the probe for spoilers on this one because it's kind of loving important, but one of the collectibles in this dumb game is """"yaoi art"""" as the game calls it of underage characters. Which is incredibly hosed up, and people have a right to complain about this poo poo because it is hosed up.

Also, the game's incredibly racist because it's loving South Park and they think casual racism is "epic".

Nobody should just have to "deal with" offensive crap like this.

Iamgoofball
Jul 1, 2015

Also, Ubisoft is a rapist friendly company that protects rapists and industry blacklists victims. gently caress Ubisoft, and gently caress Matt/Trey for working with them.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Far be it from me to aggressively defend any thread here- I'll leave that to the creators and the board admins- but I think what the LPer is going for when he says he doesn't want to deal with politics here is he would rather people talk about the game and not get bogged down in discussions over issues about which we can do nothing.

We all know racism is bad. Casual racism is incredibly bad. Giving up on humanity and thinking everything sucks is also bad. But as you said, these attitudes are unfortunately part of South Park and its lousy style that passes for comedy plot. We just have to deal with that. If we can't, we should not view the show or play the game. Or read the thread.

We can and should eliminate such attitudes in our daily lives and work against their promotion in our society. That goes without saying. But we can't edit them out of the game, so we shouldn't waste time lamenting that fact. We should just acknowledge they're bad and judge the game as good anyway if we can find it possible to enjoy it despite the bad stuff.

I hope you get it now.

I'm not going to judge Ubisoft based on your accusations, I haven't seen the evidence that I presume exists to back you up. Even if I do see it in the future, I anticipate continuing to enjoy several of their games despite their mistakes. I can admire people for their good achievements while pitying them for their bad ones. I wish it was a more common quality in today's world. I also pray that if Ubisoft and other similarly sinning companies stay in business, they overcome and cease their mistakes.

Oh, and feel free to dis me for talking back if you will, I've said my points. I'll let the mods take it from here if you try and foster more chaos. AN Out.

DelilahFlowers
Jan 10, 2020

achtungnight posted:

I'm not going to judge Ubisoft based on your accusations, I haven't seen the evidence that I presume exists to back you up. Even if I do see it in the future, I anticipate continuing to enjoy several of their games despite their mistakes. I can admire people for their good achievements while pitying them for their bad ones. I wish it was a more common quality in today's world. I also pray that if Ubisoft and other similarly sinning companies stay in business, they overcome and cease their mistakes.

Here is a handy thread in the main gaming forum for you to peruse over.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3897556&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=85#post506455680

Hopefully we can all learn that giving money to sex crimes companies are bad and saying "shut up I just wanna grill" is stupid and bad.

Iamgoofball
Jul 1, 2015

achtungnight posted:

I'm not going to judge Ubisoft based on your accusations, I haven't seen the evidence that I presume exists to back you up. Even if I do see it in the future, I anticipate continuing to enjoy several of their games despite their mistakes. I can admire people for their good achievements while pitying them for their bad ones.
Okay so you're admitting you support a rapist company even if presented with hard evidence they're a rapist company

Eat poo poo, fuckwad.

achtungnight posted:

"stop making me have to think about the ethics of my terrible video games that people were harmed to make, i just wanna GAME"

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Thx, I'll comment in that thread- maybe.

Thx also for making me see the end result of cancel culture and realize something very important about life. To do just about anything requires harming someone or something else. The clothes you're wearing? Some plant or animal died to make them, and it is quite possible the process of making them caused someone else harm too somehow. That food you ate at your last meal? Same deal. Oh, was it not meat? Well, plants still died and they may have been harvested by some kind of work practice you find objectionable. It is very possible. That song you like listening to? That book you read whose themes you respect? That game, TV show, or other media you enjoy. Quite possible that it was created or promoted by someone whom you might dislike or disagree with on some point, however profound does not matter.

Given all these facts, why do anything? Are you going to walk around naked? Are you going to stop eating? Stop doing the things you enjoy? Would you gladly delete an entire world's chance to learn any history or culture just to edit out the parts you find objectionable?

I hope not. And I know I wouldn't. I can and will learn from and fix the mistakes of my life. But I will still do what I must and what I want, because I can and because otherwise is not to live. Not like I can avoid making all mistakes. No one is perfect.

I hope to God you don't kill this LP. And that you think about what I have said before you continue your current attitude.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Iamgoofball
Jul 1, 2015

achtungnight posted:

Thx also for making me see the end result of cancel culture and realize something very important about life. To do just about anything requires harming someone or something else. The clothes you're wearing? Some plant or animal died to make them, and it is quite possible the process of making them caused someone else harm too somehow. That food you ate at your last meal? Same deal. Oh, was it not meat? Well, plants still died and they may have been harvested by some kind of work practice you find objectionable. It is very possible. That song you like listening to? That book you read whose themes you respect? That game, TV show, or other media you enjoy. Quite possible that it was created or promoted by someone whom you might dislike or disagree with on some point, however profound does not matter.

Given all these facts, why do anything? Are you going to walk around naked? Are you going to stop eating? Stop doing the things you enjoy? Would you gladly delete an entire world's chance to learn any history or culture just to edit out the parts you find objectionable?

I hope not. And I know I wouldn't. I can and will learn from and fix the mistakes of my life. But I will still do what I must and what I want, because I can and because otherwise is not to live. Not like I can avoid making all mistakes. No one is perfect.

I hope to God you don't kill this LP. And that you think about what I have said before you continue your current attitude.
Oh my god you're a whiny little poo poo

"CANCEL CULTURE", really? I think you meant to post this poo poo on /v/, because that's how awful your posting is

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Oh my god everybody shut the gently caress up.

I'm cancelling this thread... for ten or fifteen minutes or so while I write up a thing.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Okay, look.

On the one hand, we've long had and hope to continue to have a culture here in LP where each thread is its own little system that OPs can have some say in how they run, and, within reason, mods will play along when it comes to stuff like spoilers. In the very abstract sense, I don't see why someone can't run a thread in which they politely but firmly request that certain areas of conversation be no-gos.

On the other hand, to come along, here in the year of our lord 2020, in this political moment, in the midst of this upheaval at Ubisoft, with South Park, and to then say "no politics" is... well, it's impressive, in its way. It is nothing if not wilful blindness at this point to suggest that South Park does not advance a political ideology. Even some argument we might have over whether it is or is not political, is political.

None of this should be news to anyone. Hell, right in the OP it says; "This is South Park. If it's offensive, then it's most likely intended. You'll just have to deal with it." So, we're going to deal with it. If the game does something offensive, people ought to be able to remark on it, just as surely as they ought to be able to remark on that reference they caught or that joke they understood or how much they love that character or how impressively the OP owned/was owned by that boss. Maybe observations pertaining to how offensive something in the game is - be that at face value or by reference to an implicit judgement about the very concept of offense - will be insightful and fascinating, or maybe they'll be dull. Who knows. I don't see how it's more or less preferable than a page of "[character_name_here] :allears:" in response to an update.

This forum managed to sit through an LP of Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls while appreciating those parts of that game that had merit and expressing horror at those parts of that game that were horrifying, which, if you don't know, loving exist let me tell you. By now I hope we understand that it's okay to have complex and multifaceted opinions about the totality of a video game. I don't doubt for one second that there will be aspects of South Park: The Fractured But Whole that warrant exhibition and praise, or that there will be aspects of it which are crude or tone-deaf. I don't doubt that there will be moments that seem galling in the light of what's come out lately about Ubisoft, or which betray astonishing ignorance about social realities of the day, or which show actual wit and humour and jokes that land and game mechanics that work. We can discuss these things. All of them. It's okay.

The OP is free within reason and the rules to remark upon whichever parts of the game they feel are worth remarking upon, with whatever opinions they have, and to attempt to steer the discussion in whichever direction they see fit. We the mods will not, however, enforce a subject-matter ban on politics when matters political are so clearly referenced in the text and the subtext and context of the work.

And, as always, post about this stuff well, or not at all. If I'm wrong, and this goes to poo poo... well, we'll deal with that too.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
I see this thread and I'm eyeing up Family Guy: Back To The Multiverse in my Steam library.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
For reference, this,

Iamgoofball posted:

Okay so you're admitting you support a rapist company even if presented with hard evidence they're a rapist company

Eat poo poo, fuckwad.

is exactly the kind of post I was thinking of while I was writing up my post above, and this

achtungnight posted:

Thx also for making me see the end result of cancel culture and realize something very important about life.

...is not much better.

This...

achtungnight posted:

Far be it from me to aggressively defend any thread here- I'll leave that to the creators and the board admins- but I think what the LPer is going for when he says he doesn't want to deal with politics here is he would rather people talk about the game and not get bogged down in discussions over issues about which we can do nothing.

We all know racism is bad. Casual racism is incredibly bad. Giving up on humanity and thinking everything sucks is also bad. But as you said, these attitudes are unfortunately part of South Park and its lousy style that passes for comedy plot. We just have to deal with that. If we can't, we should not view the show or play the game. Or read the thread.

We can and should eliminate such attitudes in our daily lives and work against their promotion in our society. That goes without saying. But we can't edit them out of the game, so we shouldn't waste time lamenting that fact. We should just acknowledge they're bad and judge the game as good anyway if we can find it possible to enjoy it despite the bad stuff.

I hope you get it now.

Oh, and feel free to dis me for talking back if you will, I've said my points. I'll let the mods take it from here if you try and foster more chaos. AN Out.

Is right about one very important thing; politically saturated though much of the game will be, discussion in an LP thread ought to revolve around the game. There's all kinds of places you can go in your analysis but please keep it focused on the thing we're here to discuss. It is also catastrophically wrong about one very important thing: To bring up political or social topics in a discussion about a game that directly and indirectly invokes those topics is not "getting bogged down in discussions over issues about which we can do nothing" (and it certainly isn't loving "cancel culture", holy poo poo). Posting is not activism, but being able to critically analyse art - to pick and sort and tease out the messages, the implications, the assumptions, the driving forces, and the morals in a work - is vitally important nevertheless.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

This is pretty much exactly what I was trying to avoid. I know trying to keep politics out of South Park is very optimistic, but still it was worth a shot... :sigh:

The reason I'm banning politics explicitly, as stated in the OP, is to prevent the thread from going too heated. Discussion requires opposing views, which is impossible when some people will get mad and accuse bigotry when someone disagrees with them (the most relevant example I can think of is Cyrano's fiasco a few weeks ago).

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

1234567890num posted:

This is pretty much exactly what I was trying to avoid. I know trying to keep politics out of South Park is very optimistic, but still it was worth a shot... :sigh:

The reason I'm banning politics explicitly, as stated in the OP, is to prevent the thread from going too heated. Discussion requires opposing views, which is impossible when some people will get mad and accuse bigotry when someone disagrees with them (the most relevant example I can think of is Cyrano's fiasco a few weeks ago).

Yeah, that's understandable. The way you said it in the OP though wasn't too great though, which is probably why things have already turned out a bit off.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Yeah, while I don't think the rule was explained well I can't say I don't understand the reasoning for it.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Let's take the fighting out of this thread and into the house.

...Wait, that's not good either? Well...let's take it to the streets then.

Update 2. Douchebag VS Dragon Tank

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
"Car!" That will always crack me up.

Not saying anything regarding the trouble in the thread I was part of earlier. I think it best not to continue it for obvious reasons. That's all I have to say about that.

Somebody has to start the voting, so I'll go with what I said in DN's thread. Brutalist was too much like the first game, Speedster is a role in the team already filled by FastPass, so let's go with Blaster.

TheKirbs
Feb 16, 2018

True reality is on this side of the screen

Blaster is the best starter class anyway.

Less finickity to hit someone with, can inflict burn, most moves hit multiple squares and it comes with a decent move to shift your opponents positions.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Oh boy, another LP for this game. Let's hope this one can finish the game.

I think you got the link wrong.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

This is a reminder that you should treat every update as if they have a NSFW warning.

Update 3. New Kid VS Intruders

1234567890num fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Jul 31, 2020

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

did Australians get to see the MC crushed by his dad's balls or did thye get relax-o-vision instead?

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Iirc that section is uncensored for everyone

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

One thing I miss going from Stick of Truth to this is the specials becoming more than jury rigged larp toys.

I mean it fits with the super hero theme to suddenly have crazy special effects, but there was something so charming about casting Fireball and having it be a roman candle pointed at a kid's face.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Update 4. Buttlord VS Stripe

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I didn’t know Supergirl rode a bicycle. Thought that was Aquaman’s thing. ;)

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah having followers is cool but have you tried paying 10 bucks to post on an internet forum?

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

How many followers can you buy with :10bux: ?

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Update 5. Buttlord VS Conformity

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Well, it’s good the Goth Kids are consistent I guess. Too bad there’s not a skull hat to go with our new outfit. Or is there and we’re just not wearing it to be conformist?

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

There is a skull to go with our new outfit. I forgot to wear it and will continue to forget for the next several updates :sweatdrop:

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
It’s cool. Skeletons with normal heads are also quite creepy and Goth outside Michael’s messed up view.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Update 6. Buttlord VS Human Kite from an Alternate Universe

1234567890num fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Aug 24, 2020

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Hard to say who’s the bigger jerk- alternate Kyle, the 6th graders, or Cartman.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

That fight was great :allears:

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Update 7. Buttlord VS Sixth Graders

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Glad the LP was updated. Loved the comments in this one, especially from Craig. “Who says I changed my mind?” :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

The banter in this game is pretty great. "what the gently caress I want a shield"