Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

The Sequel to Football? What's a Football?

Huh?
I really enjoy NCAA 14, but I've tried to come up with ways to make things more interesting: Integrating house rules regarding recruiting, playing in "coach mode" (CPU runs everything, I only call plays), making edits to stats (like in the link above--everyone starts as a 40 OVR with severely nerfed recruiting classes), and generally mucking about as much as I can, since a new NCAA is most likely never going to see the light of day, and IMO, Madden sucks.

So what are you doing here
Another experiment I've done in the past is creating a relegation, euro-soccer style league. If you're unfamiliar with what that is, here's a brief summary:
-Teams that finish at the top of their divisions move up to more difficult, more prestigious leagues
-Teams that finish at the bottom of their divisions move down to less difficult, less prestigious leagues

I've basically taken all of the conferences in NCAA, made them 12-teams leagues (except for two, and I can't completely empty ANY "conference", including independent), and run a Dynasty with teams rising and falling as the seasons go on.

How are you doing this?
The 126 teams are divided up into conferences like so (divisions are simply in alphabetical order as listed in the game to make things easier for me)
  • ACC (League 1)-12 teams
  • American (League 2)-12 teams
  • Big 10 (League 3)-12 teams
  • Big 12 (League 4)-12 teams
  • C-USA (League 5)-12 teams
  • MAC (League 6)-12 teams
  • MWC (League 7)-12 teams
  • Pac-12 (League 8)-12 teams
  • SEC (League 9)-14 teams
  • Sun Belt (League 10)-15 teams
  • Independent-1 team (National Champion)
I THINK I can edit those names in the EA DB editor and have the names show up in-game. It's not something I've experimented with, so I'm not certain. the logos will stay, though, so it might not look great if I do. each conference is split into 2 divisions and I can name those, so if you have ideas there, I'd love to hear them!

Relegation works as follows:
  • The top 3 teams from each division move up one division. "Top teams" is determined by division record. If there's a tie, then overall record is the tiebreaker. If it's still tie, then points for.
  • the bottom 3 teams from each division move down one division. "Bottom teams" is determined by worst division records, with ties broken by worst overall record and least points for.
  • Relegation is determined BEFORE bowl games
  • Teams in Division 1 cannot move up without winning the National Championship, and teams in Division 10 cannot move any lower (I wish I could replace teams that finished at the bottom of Division 10, but I do not have a modded 360, and therefore cannot replace assets that are already in place at the start of a Dynasty)
  • The Independent teams moves into Division 1 if they do not win the National Championship
  • Any team that wins the National Championship automatically becomes the Independent team, regardless of current division placement (based on schedule strength, there PROBABLY won't be a team from the lower divisions playing for that, but weird things happen...)

The roster, current team rankings, and almost all other data will be coming from data logged in the previous dynasty. I managed to dig up a backup from the beginning of a season, and just simmed out a few years. I'll be plugging in those players, recruits, and records here as much as I can, since that will make things more interesting.

What's in it for us?
lovely football, for one...

...but if that isn't your thing, you get to help run the team! Things like naming recruits once they're on our team, picking playbooks, recruiting strategy, contract options--almost any decision I have to make I'll be putting in your hands! I'll be playing the games, but really I'll be listing to y'all as to what to do in almost every other regard, if you have opinions.

You said it was a sequel. What happened to the first thread?
The short version is: Technical problems. I'm pretty sure I have those issues taken care of now, so I'm confident the same thing won't happen again here! (Famous last words)

When do we start?
Season 2 starts Sunday, Oct. 25--you can claim players up 'til the Saturday before. Here are the positions (number will change as spots are claimed)
WR: 2
TE: 1
C: 1
LE: 1
RE: 2 (1 non-starter)
Dt: 3 (1 non-starter)
LB: 4 (2 non-starters)
CB: 2
FS: 1
SS: 1
P: 1

:cabot: :siren: SEASON 1: WELCOME YOUR VERMONT CATAMOUNTS! :siren: :cabot:

:bubblewoop: SEASON 2: EARNING OUR KEEP :bubblewoop:

Preseason recruiting/scheduling: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGDW6Fld9bA

Professor Duck fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Oct 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
This seems interesting. I'll put in my four cents.

I vote for Vermont as our team, cause Vermont with a team... Should be interesting! I also posit we name the coach Kruger Dunning.

Oh, and can I claim a player too? The position will be Kicker, and the name shall be Kirk Bottowski.

Looking forward to this!

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Vermont seems like it would be interesting. Not much of a local recruiting base, but you're at least a reasonably driveable distance to PA/NJ and the DMV, so there's at least a theoretically viable path to improving over time.

I would like to be a punter named Longfoot Starsaria.

Professor Duck posted:

Technically, Idaho would now fit into that category (They left the FBS division in 2018). [/list]
Not to be an rear end, but Idaho has a FBS football team in Boise State...and a pretty damned good one too; with more wins in the past decade than everybody not named Alabama, Ohio State, or Clemson. Which, tbh might be an interesting challenge since we'd be competing with an existing successful team in a state with limited in-state talent. But per the parameters of "no existing team", I think we need to cross it off the list.

EDIT: I actually didn't see the previous post choosing Vermont before I started writing my post, but apparently great minds think alike. :cheers:

MagusofStars fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jul 24, 2020

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

MagusofStars posted:

Vermont seems like it would be interesting. Not much of a local recruiting base, but you're at least a reasonably driveable distance to PA/NJ and the DMV, so there's at least a theoretically viable path to improving over time.

I would like to be a punter named Longfoot Starsaria.

Not to be an rear end, but Idaho has a FBS football team in Boise State...and a pretty damned good one too; with more wins in the past decade than everybody not named Alabama, Ohio State, or Clemson. Which, tbh might be an interesting challenge since we'd be competing with an existing successful team in a state with limited in-state talent. But per the parameters of "no existing team", I think we need to cross it off the list.

EDIT: I actually didn't see the previous post choosing Vermont before I started writing my post, but apparently great minds think alike. :cheers:

You're not a dick, I'm just stupid for totally forgetting about Boise State :v:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Go Cats Go! Vermont

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

I think it's just the name "catamounts" that's getting y'all. :v:

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

I mean, unless you're going to rename them to the Vermont Space Laser Beers, we gotta work with what we got

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019

mercenarynuker posted:

I mean, unless you're going to rename them to the Vermont Space Laser Beers, we gotta work with what we got

I would watch the Vermont Space Laser Beers any chance I get, just to hear people have to say it on commentary.

Kainblueriver
Aug 10, 2013
I am glad to see another season of clownball. Name a player who is going to run the ball Max Daniels for me. In addition, having our team come from Vermont sounds acceptable to me.

grill youre saelf
Jan 22, 2006

Alaska. Player: QB edward pazong

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

BraveLittleToaster posted:

I would watch the Vermont Space Laser Beers any chance I get, just to hear people have to say it on commentary.

....I mean, I probably can rename them as the Vermont Space Laser Cats. I can't change the logo, though, so Bears with a.cat logo wouldn't make sense

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

we gotta represent my homeland man

I am fine with changing them to the Orbital Catamounts though

kag3man3
Jan 25, 2004

I am so glad you are back. Loved the previous thread.

Would love to claim a TE with a name of Ivan Avals and being from NY

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
If multiple players be a possibility to claim, then I request an HB by the name of Dennis Mitchell be put in.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

If multiple players be a possibility to claim, then I request an HB by the name of Dennis Mitchell be put in.

I'd like to try and keep it to one per person, but if no one else comes in and wants a running back, I guess I could do it.

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

Catamount is a great word, so I will also throw a vote to Vermont (just a shame they can't play out of the Catskills). Kruger Dunning also seems like a very appropriate coach for a relegation series.

And let's just go ahead and name the QB Tom Grimalkin. Gotta get the puns going early!

grill youre saelf
Jan 22, 2006

Nick Buntline posted:

Catamount is a great word, so I will also throw a vote to Vermont (just a shame they can't play out of the Catskills). Kruger Dunning also seems like a very appropriate coach for a relegation series.

And let's just go ahead and name the QB Tom Grimalkin. Gotta get the puns going early!

already claimed QB hopefully.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Nick Buntline posted:

Looks like the QB is already out. I could still fill in the #2 on the depth chart with that (no guarantee of playing time, though), or I could move you to a different spot. I tend to throw to TEs a lot--would that be okay?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

give me a running back by the name of Thomas Chittenden

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical
I’ll take a wide receiver called Nick Bort, and if a second winds up being available, someone on the defensive line called Ned Bottcher.

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

Professor Duck posted:

Looks like the QB is already out. I could still fill in the #2 on the depth chart with that (no guarantee of playing time, though), or I could move you to a different spot. I tend to throw to TEs a lot--would that be okay?

Sure sure, TE's fine, anything that gets puns on screen as much as possible is good. Apologies for missing the other claim!

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

NiftyBottle posted:

I’ll take a wide receiver called Nick Bort, and if a second winds up being available, someone on the defensive line called Ned Bottcher.

...but now I have to have another guy on the team named Bort to make the joke :v:

Nick Buntline posted:

Sure sure, TE's fine, anything that gets puns on screen as much as possible is good. Apologies for missing the other claim!

No worries. I'll make sure he shows up on the roster--maybe as a WR because I saw upthread a request for TE and I'm trying to get as many starters out there as possible.

EDIT: Just reviewing the thread so far, I have a couple of overlaps, especially at HB/FB positions. I'll do my best in trying to slot people to what y'all have been requesting.

Professor Duck fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jul 29, 2020

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Well, it looks like the votes are in! We're Vermont, and our coach is Kruger Dunning! I've put all the names into their positions, and I should be able to record over the weekend and post Week 1 by Monday!

I've made some stadium tweaks, and I can control quite a bit about the look of our home field! After the first week, let me know if there's anything I should change. It's not going to look very impressive right now--the Board of Trustees has assured us that they'll build the facilities if we build the program and start bringing in fans(money) to the school :v:

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Looking forward to some good old Ball Foot, and how Vermont's stadium will be lookin'.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Here we go! First weeks in the books! :bubblewoop:

Pre-season: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BR7_-dhwmI

Week 1(v. UTSA) and 2(bye): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBzi9DSqGvA

So, give me some feedback! What's good? What's shite (besides my passing ability)?

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

If it’s not too late for naming another recruit, please put me in as Harry Nutzucher, CB, #27, as short and angry as you can make him

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
That's a good first game to start out on.The team's functioning swimmingly, and only two injuries. Surely it can only be uphill from here!

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
My only request at the moment is that you up your voice volume a bit. I'm having a hard time understanding you sometimes, especially when the horns come in loud during the scouting segments.

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical
That was a nice catch at the ankles from Bort.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

whowhatwhere posted:

My only request at the moment is that you up your voice volume a bit. I'm having a hard time understanding you sometimes, especially when the horns come in loud during the scouting segments.

I will make sure that is better balanced next time! Some minor tweaks in my mic's volume should take care of it.

That's a good first game to start out on.The team's functioning swimmingly, and only two injuries. Surely it can only be uphill from here!

Famous last words...

NiftyBottle posted:

That was a nice catch at the ankles from Bort.

He had a good game. During my practice no one could catch anything, so I was okay with the end results in the air.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

tommy "the governor" chittenden

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Week 3 sees us roll into Texas Tech's home turf. I kinda dig their stadium, especially the logo-shaped scoreboard! :v:

Anyway, get wrecked, tech! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZ2cxFPuL1I

What do you guys think of the team so far? Any things you'd like me to change/alter?

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
The team looks nice. And Fletcher is really putting in that good work these first few games.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

The team looks nice. And Fletcher is really putting in that good work these first few games.

drat right he is! I think he's the fastest guy on the team, too.

grill youre saelf
Jan 22, 2006

Things are looking good this season. I'm ready for Ed Pazong to take the Heisman! I'm predicting an undefeated season

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

It physically hurts to see WMU getting dragged in the Trash Division. But gently caress yeah Space Laser Beers! Maybe they'll even wind up ranked like really low at some point!

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

grill youre saelf posted:

Things are looking good this season. I'm ready for Ed Pazong to take the Heisman! I'm predicting an undefeated season

Undefeated, maybe. I think we might be a ways off for a Heisman right now.

mercenarynuker posted:

It physically hurts to see WMU getting dragged in the Trash Division. But gently caress yeah Space Laser Beers! Maybe they'll even wind up ranked like really low at some point!

Possibly! The game looks at things weird in terms of rankings, so who knows?

Anyway, another game up! This one v. Utah State in more Trash Division action!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXzfpoRK2tM

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
The defense on our team doesn't seem to have very good reaction times. And they're thwarted by the opponents' offense regularly swapping around plays.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

finally watched the preseason video (oops) and goddamn it a catamount is a cougar!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

The defense on our team doesn't seem to have very good reaction times. And they're thwarted by the opponents' offense regularly swapping around plays.

Well, the problem lies in running the defense itself. If a team has guys with speed (where a lot of my defense doesn't), then I have to try and play some more to not get torched on 1 v. 1 matchups. If I drop to zone, the CPU can run certain routes that put receivers either in the spac s between zones (slants for example), or just overload one side of the field. I'm still working on adjusting, as I am not good playing defense. Maybe changing the d playbook might help in different personnel and matchups.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

finally watched the preseason video (oops) and goddamn it a catamount is a cougar!!!!

Who are we?
The wildcats!
Who are we gonna beat?
The wildcats!