Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
also i think you should give my guy tommy the ball more. he didn't even fumble!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kag3man3
Jan 25, 2004

I am pretty sure the runner's knee was down right before the ball came out, which is why it was reversed. Good luck for us!

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

So apparently there were some encoding errors on the latest video where the intro was kinda screwed up and the commentary got phased back because of it. I've salvaged 99% of the vid and re-did the cuts. I'll leave both up for posterity's sake (the old one will go unlisted), but here's the new link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ld26cnxCB9o

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

...and we're back with another home game! Lots of claws as the Wildcats take on the Wildcats! :v:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oy0Vbtr9Ae0

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Well, the defense got flattened a little less badly this time around! And Fletcher's still making those big returns.

At least Bottowski gets plenty of chances to kick balls around.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

BraveLittleToaster posted:

Well, the defense got flattened a little less badly this time around! And Fletcher's still making those big returns.

At least Bottowski gets plenty of chances to kick balls around.

Things are getting tougher here with a few of these teams. I need to keep making adjustments so that I can hopefully better defend the pass.

That game wasn't great, but a win's a win

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

....and Week 7 is in the books! We play Tulsa and their 6th-ranked passing offense! Can we figure them out?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2b-QSjkbwQc

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Turns out, couldn't figure them out. Mostly because they couldn't figure their own plays out.

And Fletcher is still the best offensive defensive player around, will he continue his hot streak?

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Turns out, couldn't figure them out. Mostly because they couldn't figure their own plays out.

And Fletcher is still the best offensive defensive player around, will he continue his hot streak?

I'll just repeat what I said on the video I'm absolutely mystified by Tulsa just refusing to actually throw passes. Maybe they had a fluke game with 54 attempts, but that probably doesn't account for the high average. Maybe they keyed in to early success running and just...never adjusted? I'm not sure how dynamic the AI is. It's not like I'm playing on easy stuff either--its Hiesman difficulty using OperationsSports' community sliders with the only change being quarter length I think (games are already long enough). So, yeah...an absolute drubbing to a team that should've put up WAAAAAAAAAAY more points than 6

Since Fletcher is the fastest guy on our team, he'll continue to be the return man until someone pulverizes his spleen on a kickoff. :v:

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Maybe the black helmets that keep showing up are a good luck charm.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Maybe the black helmets that keep showing up are a good luck charm.

Could be...but where'd it come from? And why are they wearing it around the sidelines?

Theories, people! :v:

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

...and the next game is in the books! Week 8 vs. the Iowa State Cyclones!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBHuvEra5tc

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
That was a floppy first quarter, for sure. Like everyone on both sides woke up on the wrong side of the bed simultaneously and went to play ball.

At least the Special Teams are scoring points as good as ever.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

That was a floppy first quarter, for sure. Like everyone on both sides woke up on the wrong side of the bed simultaneously and went to play ball.

At least the Special Teams are scoring points as good as ever.

Well, there's a bit of role reversal in Week 9's match-up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPo98OdI58I

Livewire42
Oct 2, 2013
Given your Heisman hype and how much you've been stomping the competition; how much long until the Catamounts are nationally ranked?

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Livewire42 posted:

Given your Heisman hype and how much you've been stomping the competition; how much long until the Catamounts are nationally ranked?

I dunno. Probably not this year would be my guess. I might have an undefeated season, but my schedule strength is an F, so I don't see it happening.

Such is the price you pay for being in the trash division! :v: (also recruiting problems, but that's a different story)

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
The trash division can't contain the Catamounts for long, surely.

BraveLittleToaster fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Aug 26, 2020

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

The trash division can't contain the Catamounts for long, surely.

It's a lock, more or less, at this point!

...and here's our next game against Kent State!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGhqfiLRgPI

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
So obviously this team is far better than its division, but I'm not sure how much of that is your play and how much your team. Are the team stats just as good as everyone else in the division or did you luck out a bit?

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

whowhatwhere posted:

So obviously this team is far better than its division, but I'm not sure how much of that is your play and how much your team. Are the team stats just as good as everyone else in the division or did you luck out a bit?

Statistically speaking, our team is on par with the top teams in the division. I nerfed the TeamBuilder school's original stats by a bit to bring them more in line. Honestly, I should've probably tweaked them more, as we ended up better than most (EDIT: all) teams in the Trash Division. We should definitely start hitting roadblocks in the future, as we move up divisions and hit teams that have performed better and better. I might mess with some slider settings after this season to make things a little more challenging.

I mean, if we really want to screw around with starting me from the absolute bottom we could find the lowest overall (Tulane, I think) that offers us a contract and take it once this season ends. I'll leave that discussion to the thread, and a little later in the season--probably once we get to the conference championship.

I think some of it is my playstyle, too. I'm perfectly okay with eschewing big plays for more guaranteed yardage, and running the ball more than passing. I have been trying to get more throwing yards simply as a practice mechanism for when things get tougher.

Professor Duck fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Aug 29, 2020

Livewire42
Oct 2, 2013
Daniels on every play. Run up the score. Get that Heisman.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Livewire42 posted:

Daniels on every play. Run up the score. Get that Heisman.

Well...we'll see. I thought about doing a run-only playbook for this one, but decided against it.

Anyway, here's week 11!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9veZLIk-uSA

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Not sure why there's such a frequency of yellow flags during our kickoff and punt returns, but another win for the Catamounts!

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Not sure why there's such a frequency of yellow flags during our kickoff and punt returns, but another win for the Catamounts!

Skill, really. The crappier the players, the more likely they get called for clipping. Not sure what rating that specifically it applies to, but there's absolutely a correlation.

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019

Professor Duck posted:

Skill, really. The crappier the players, the more likely they get called for clipping. Not sure what rating that specifically it applies to, but there's absolutely a correlation.

I don't much see the other teams getting called for clipping during their kickoff returns, though. And their players' skill should be on par or worse, generally?

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
It might partially be that Duck is pushing harder for big returns than the other teams are, which would lead the AI blockers to try and help out as things go unexpectedly, while almost every AI kick/punt return is a fairly normal 15-30 yard run. Like, the flags rarely happen when Duck is running for a small gain.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

whowhatwhere posted:

It might partially be that Duck is pushing harder for big returns than the other teams are, which would lead the AI blockers to try and help out as things go unexpectedly, while almost every AI kick/punt return is a fairly normal 15-30 yard run. Like, the flags rarely happen when Duck is running for a small gain.

It's all about angles. Trying to make sweeps leads to my guys being behind some players, which then then block and get flagged for. Their stats seems to correlate to how often they get flagged for it.

If I just tried to wrecking-ball the return, I might get the occasional flag, but then I wouldn't get any return touchdowns :v:

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Professor Duck posted:

Their stats seems to correlate to how often they get flagged for it.

Wait, so it's possible they're still blocking illegally and are just better at getting away with it?

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

whowhatwhere posted:

Wait, so it's possible they're still blocking illegally and are just better at getting away with it?

Since this game uses canned animations for player interactions, it's a matter of when those animations get triggered. A good example is one of the "tackle w/ face mask" animation that you may have seen. The thing is that is doesn't always get flagged...that has some to do with the sliders, but I'm pretty sure that it also has to do with player stats, since putting the sliders up to 100 doesn't always translate to it being called every single time.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

This one feels a bit Phyrric to me...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GYcRN6qtgw

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Our season is winding down, and here we are at Senior Day!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjLgluYSY7Y

We have 3 games left on our schedule:
-Away game vs .....I actually forget who our last away game is against :v:
-Conference championship
-Some Bowl game

There are a few things that we need to decide leading into next season:
1.) Do we stay? Do we go to another team that offers us a contract?
2.) I have ideas on how to redesign the stadium, but one thing I learned before our first home game is how to edit the text in the end zones. I changed it to "Catamounts" and left it there all season. Should we go with something else? I might toy with the field, but the old-school goal posts are staying :v:
3.) Playbooks? Should we stay with what we have? Should we create our own again (offensive and defensive are negotiable)

There are a few other things that I'd like some opinions, on if you're willing to give the
1.) I don't feel I nerfed the team enough once we started. Should I nerf our players some more to make things harder?
2.) I'm thinking of going to Twitch with this instead of just doing straight recordings. There are a few reasons for this (more direct and immediate feedback from y'all, no editing required on my part--which is a big plus for me :v:), but the biggest reason is to have you guys take a more direct role in the team.

Yes, I'm proposing (essentially) Twitch plays Football. Chat calls the plays, I run 'em. Or, chat calls the plays and the CPU runs them (to make it extra hard). Opinions on that from anyone? If most of the regulars here absolutely hate the idea, I'll stick with my regular recordings.

So, there's lots to think about, and it'll be until next week that I have a new episode up. Please give me your thoughts on this stuff. If I'm not getting anything back, I'll just make decisions myself and that may not be a way you want to go, and I'd hate for anyone to feel out in the cold on this.

Professor Duck fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Sep 7, 2020

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
That was one good home game to have, classic ol' stomp match.

I elect to stay with the Catamounts, they've only just started growing, after all. The playbooks we have seem to work too, why not stick to them?

Do you have to nerf the team itself? Any option to buff the AI teams? I shudder to think how much worse the constant clipping penalties could get.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

That was one good home game to have, classic ol' stomp match.

I elect to stay with the Catamounts, they've only just started growing, after all. The playbooks we have seem to work too, why not stick to them?

Do you have to nerf the team itself? Any option to buff the AI teams? I shudder to think how much worse the constant clipping penalties could get.

I could try and muck with other teams...I would need to boost everyone, then filter and subtract from our team. I think it would be easier to just bump people down a bit on our roster.

Yeah, we'll still get called for clipping, but it just makes things more interesting :v:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
stay with UVM and also derate the team a bit

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical
Twitch could be fun. Staying with the team sounds good, it'd feel weird not to benefit from the recruiting we worked on. I have no real opinions on anything else.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

stay with UVM and also derate the team a bit

I was thinking about just a little knockdown to keep things more competitive.

NiftyBottle posted:

Twitch could be fun. Staying with the team sounds good, it'd feel weird not to benefit from the recruiting we worked on. I have no real opinions on anything else.

Of course, I like the idea of streaming, especially since it makes participation and feedback more immediate. I can't think of how to make you guys more directly involved with the team than taking up the OC and DC jobs :v:

Kainblueriver
Aug 10, 2013

Professor Duck posted:

I was thinking about just a little knockdown to keep things more competitive.

Of course, I like the idea of streaming, especially since it makes participation and feedback more immediate. I can't think of how to make you guys more directly involved with the team than taking up the OC and DC jobs :v:

I have been quietly following the thread and the games have been enjoyable to watch. I think we should stick with the same team for at least a few seasons so your recruitment efforts aren't wasted.

Is the problem that our team/head coach combination is just too strong overall or is it just our division. If it is our division then that should work itself out. In addition, isn't the team's low reputation messing with recruitment?

Live twitch matches could be very fun indeed in a vein similar to one of the wrestling LPs that use twitch. We could complain in real time about the ref's being blind and heckle you when you invariably miss yet another screen pass.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
I am curious, what division would you put the current iteration of the team at? I'm definitely fine with weakening us a bit, but it would be nice to know if we're one division away from being competitive or like five.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

whowhatwhere posted:

I am curious, what division would you put the current iteration of the team at? I'm definitely fine with weakening us a bit, but it would be nice to know if we're one division away from being competitive or like five.

Well, the relegation rules say the top three move to the next division up, so we'd be in Division IX next season. I'm not looking to take a giant axe to ratings, but a few nudges down just to make games a little more competitive, and make me work for wins a little more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bb_eGeEz1H8

Here's our last regular season game! All that's left is the Conference Championship and a Bowl game!

...as far as where we might be headed....well, just see for yourself! :v: