Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020
Should athletes and entertainers use their fame and "platforms" to speak up for causes they believe in, or do you just want them to STFU and play?

How about a professional sports franchise? What do you think of this?

https://twitter.com/RaysBaseball/status/1286632257076289536

https://twitter.com/RaysBaseball/status/1286639795997937664

^^^ Approve or disapprove?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Good.

Line 'em up

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020
More here:

https://twitter.com/TMZ_Sports/status/1286659093923536897

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Not a drop in my Twilight Zone or Science Fiction video games, but if my Hockey game isn't making a statement then I refuse to watch

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Its good, op

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
Trying to frame it as some kind of morally righteous crusade against the very idea of famous people using their fame to say things is disingenuous as hell. Wow, now all of a sudden we all care about Celebrity Worship and the long-term consequences of giving extra weight to people who are famous for reasons that have nothing to do with what they're talking about? We all spent decades asking famous people for their opinions on everything and pressing them on the most intimate details of their lives, but now it's a problem?

No. The people making a stink about it aren't really against the broad idea. They're opposed to very specific things these famous people are saying and worried that more and more famous people keep saying them.

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020

Tom Gorman posted:

Its good, op

Personally, I'm fine with it. But I'll admit that I was taken aback by the forthright nature of the Rays' tweet "a great day to arrest the killers of Breonna Taylor."

That's a statement!

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I consume all my opinions on complex social issues through 140 character statements from sportsball men and so should you.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Tons

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Fencing is great. They start doing violence but then immediately stop the violence.

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020

vandalism posted:

I consume all my opinions on complex social issues through 140 character statements from sportsball men and so should you.

Well, those 140-character statements would be superior than the 140-character statements emanating from the White House. That's for sure!

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
in america the twitter character limit is 280

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I think it’s a good thing op

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

Whats your favorite sport Op?

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
as much as they can cram into it

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

I want to touch my Rosalina-sama all over~

<3<3<3
As much as possible. Sports aren't just Sports. They're also politics.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I demand rigorous marxist historical analysis on each play.

youre dick
Jan 29, 2019

VanSandman posted:

I demand rigorous marxist historical analysis on each play.

after all what says marxism better than a bunch of millionaires playing a game

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

only for things i agree with op

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I'm ok with social commentary in sports and entertainment but only if the message is anti-authoritarian and anti-capitalist.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Tim Tebow took a knee fifteen times every game and they didn't get mad because it was for White Jesus.

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020

EVERY TIME GOING posted:

Whats your favorite sport Op?

I like the hockeys and I'm a fan of UFC. Don't judge!!!

Although I will admit that mixed martial arts tends to attract more of a crowd from the ideological right. It's what brought me here to SA after frequenting a few MMA forums where I couldn't help but slug it out in the political realm (TRUMP IS AN rear end in a top hat) and then made mucho enemies.

CocoaNuts fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jul 24, 2020

youre dick
Jan 29, 2019

Animal-Mother posted:

Tim Tebow took a knee fifteen times every game and they didn't get mad because it was for White Jesus.

I mean, tbf, lots of people got irate about it, just not NFL fans. Many deep thinkpieces on Vox about it

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

Animal-Mother posted:

Tonya Harding took one knee and the world flipped the gently caress out.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I wonder if Trump has considered pulling his own Nika Riots yet

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

Thanks Op, it's also perfectly fine if you just like going to the dome solely to enjoy a hot salty pretzel with mustard

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Every action and every statement is political.

The choice to avoid a topic is just as political as the choice to make a statement about it.

No one's coming out to say, "What happened to Breonna Taylor is cool and good, and we should give SWAT teams a mulligan when they bust into the wrong house and kill an innocent person." Instead, people and organizations either choose to say, "Arrrest Breonna Taylor's killers," or to say nothing at all.

Kind of makes you wonder what the "say nothing at all" crowd wants. :thunk:

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
They should all shut the gently caress up and get real jobs :smuggo:

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020

Colonel Cancer posted:

They should all shut the gently caress up and get real jobs :smuggo:

Who wants a "real job" when you can sign a half-billion-dollar contract like Patrick Mahomes?

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020

dee eight posted:

Tonya Harding took one knee and the world flipped the gently caress out.

Technically it was Jeff Gillooly who took that knee, but I like the lead pipe that you're throwing down.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

people who complain about athletes getting paid are loving garbage people

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
It's very good and I hope every MLB team tweets in support of BLM and arresting the cops who murdered Breonna Taylor.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES

quote:

How much social commentary do you want with your sports and entertainment?

zero

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Papa John spotted

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I want them to surgically attach a cheesehead to me never to be removed and use my head as a gavel in life and after death.

Each and every moment of existence between now and my impending death be filled with the incessant wanton screeching of stadiums full of fans incensed to bloodlust by the orations of lawyers and politicians bickering over the minutiae of tax by laws

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Big Beef City posted:

people who complain about athletes getting paid are loving garbage people

:hmmyes:

Too bad.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Big Beef City posted:

I want them to surgically attach a cheesehead to me never to be removed and use my head as a gavel in life and after death.

:hmmyes:

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

US Goons may not be hip to this but famous rugby player Israel Folau was essentially barred from playing in Australia and now plays in Europe. Homeboy made a series of tweets about same-sex marriage and homosexuality being against god, which is not only disgusting, but a direct violation of the league's social media policy. Folau is Tongan, and Pacific Islanders are somewhat known for being devout Christians. Obviously I'm against that sort of "commentary". I also fully support a guy like Colin Kaepernick kneeling during the national anthem. But, I'm against big veterans day displays and calls to "support our troops".

Basically I support it if I agree with it.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

about seven, op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
anything is better than them making terrible jokes about their rivals and dumb fans acting like they're hilarious

Rays: "Look like the Mets lost, maybe they should be renamed the MESS"
Fans "OH NO YOU DIDNT. BOOM. GUYS CHECK OUT WHAT THE RAYS TWITTER SAID LOLOLOL OMG!!!!"