Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dukes Mayo Clinic
Aug 31, 2009
About time I posted a thread, I suppose. A small goon braintrust assembled this song yesterday and we need more voices singing on the chorus! Hop onto ninjam and record a few passes for us if you like!

Beer_Suitcase posted:

With a HUGE helping of thanks to Chamale for words and Pantomime Horse for the music I present

My Old Man's Antifa
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaDdYW-lqzg

QUICKSTART

1) Use Jamtaba to connect to this DO droplet running a private NINJAM server:
      HOST: 167.71.109.184
      USERNAME: goon
      PASSWORD: iamprotected
      PORT: 2049 (leave this alone)
    2) You'll need to wait for two loops to cycle through before you start hearing audio from the server. With 64 BPI (beats per interval / loop) it takes a minute. Sorry!
    3) Once the loops kick in, sing along! Play with your own looper if you get ambitious; there's a toggle for it over on the left of Jamtaba's UI.
    4) If I didn't gently caress up, Ninjam saves the audio and I can drop it into the project later
    5) I post a version with lots of layered shout-along vocals and it'll be great.

Full lyrics

Chamale posted:

CHORUS: My old man's Antifa
With a leafblower and mask.
I haven't seen him lately
He's always getting gassed.
He looks so very trendy
With his black clothing and boots.
Far cooler than those other dads
With ties and shirts and suits.

The feds and police ask me
Each time that I go out.
They ask me if i've seen my dad
and if he's been about.
I say mind your own business,
Just leave me alone
You pigs are only jealous,
You've no fathers of your own.

(Chorus)

Last night at the courthouse
They built a sacred fence.
My daddy took a sledgehammer
And started making dents.
They said "Please protest peacefully
This was not the plan."
Then crashing through the barrier
Came Antifa Kool-Aid Man.

(Chorus)

My daddy he got van-snatched
To me its just not right.
I say a special prayer for him
When I go to bed at night.
Today it was his birthday
I sent him in a cake.
With Semtex in the candles
He'll be out before I wake.

My old man's Antifa
With a leafblower and mask.
I haven't seen him lately
He's always getting gassed.
He looks so very trendy
With his black clothing and boots.
Far cooler than those other dads
With ties and shirts and suits.

Chamale based this off an old Irish Republican protest song, itself based off an older skiffle tune where the old man's a dustman. Behold, the folk process!

Post if you have questions, can't connect, or if the ninjam server goes away; I'll revisit this thread in a bit.

Dukes Mayo Clinic fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jul 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dukes Mayo Clinic
Aug 31, 2009
===

NINJAM: The server software that "synchronizes" audio between connected clients. This feels a little bit like jamming while losing touch with space-time at first but once you lock into a groove, you can really have some neat moments.

JAMTABA: The client software I recommend to people new at this kind of thing.

NinBot has a good getting-started guide that's more comprehensive than anything I will write: http://ninbot.com/getstarted

===

Here's the latest full backing track I put together: https://soundcloud.com/user-172068865/my-old-mans-antifa-2/s-tzdXG4M0h2B

Another goon put the tune over some protest video:

Jordan7hm posted:

I'm terrible at video editing but this felt like it needed to be over some clips from the protest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSZotwKOiqQ

This guy gets it:

Ok Comboomer posted:

it needs sing-along lyrics (follow the bouncing leaf blower? or maybe just a bouncing piggy face), and probably more voices (it would be best if it became a chorus of people by the second or third verse) to really give it that polished feel.

but these are awesome so far. outrageous work you guys!

goons gotta crank out a bajillion of these things. Different versions of them too- like a hardcore version, etc.

have y’all thought about posting a thread in NMD/creative con? probably end up with twenty different arrangements by the end of the weekend.

Dukes Mayo Clinic fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jul 24, 2020

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Oh I'll be getting in on this a little later today!

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

I have a chromebook that wont run anything, how do i make this work?

Dukes Mayo Clinic
Aug 31, 2009

Beer_Suitcase posted:

There's effort involved no matter what. I don't have a chromebook to test with, but there's a few options:

https://forums.cockos.com/showthread.php?p=1869949 <- This maniac from the cockos forums made a Javascript client that allegedly runs on Chromebooks. I have zero experience with it.
• Some folks report Crossover for Android works on Intel chromebooks. Install that, and install a 32-bit Windows version of Jamtaba or REAPER or what have you.
• ... that's all I got.

Dukes Mayo Clinic
Aug 31, 2009
If I were a cop I’d have to tell you, it’s the law. Is ninjam terrible or is it my posting?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Oh hey- thanks for making the thread Pantomime Horse!

I wanna add that any Goon musicians/video editors who want to make their own versions and videos should really really really do so!

If we want to make this a thing and have it spread then we need a hundred different versions and videos hitting YouTube and twitter and FascBook

We need punk covers and folk covers and electronic jams and a’cappella versions and piano ballads and versions in other languages.

We need videos of people in groups and cartoon versions and videos of choruses and children and vikings and everything else you brilliant miscreants can think up!

I wanna see this loving song hit the news! I want to see people in Portland singing it within the week!

The Zybourne Clock strikes 1 3 1 2.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Beer_Suitcase posted:

Make your own. You got a phone? You got YouTube?

If you’re concerned about putting your face to it you can always wear a mask/use a voice changer app.

Dukes Mayo Clinic
Aug 31, 2009

Ok Comboomer posted:

Oh hey- thanks for making the thread Pantomime Horse!

I wanna add that any Goon musicians/video editors who want to make their own versions and videos should really really really do so!

My pleasure and strong agreement. Don’t like our verses? Write your own. Like our verses and wish there were more? Write more and add em in? Wish it was just the chorus repeating forever to pounding drums and the hum of leafblowers? I do! But I don’t have samples of such yet and I’m writing it down here so I might remember to get some. Or someone else might do it first and that’s cool and actively encouraged

Beer Suitcase I wouldn’t recognize if he didn’t wear a mask tho. I hope you have a spare luchador gimmick for emergencies.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Pantomime Horse posted:

My pleasure and strong agreement. Don’t like our verses? Write your own. Like our verses and wish there were more? Write more and add em in? Wish it was just the chorus repeating forever to pounding drums and the hum of leafblowers? I do! But I don’t have samples of such yet and I’m writing it down here so I might remember to get some. Or someone else might do it first and that’s cool and actively encouraged

Beer Suitcase I wouldn’t recognize if he didn’t wear a mask tho. I hope you have a spare luchador gimmick for emergencies.

let’s do this poo poo 2005-SA-style bay-beeeee

the internet makes you stupid, but it also belongs to goons

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

So my tiny spawn LOVES this song and i'm going to try to get her to sing a bit of the chorus. If i post an unlisted youtube link can we pull audio from that?

edit: yah she wont be on camera for this one

Beer_Suitcase fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jul 25, 2020

Dukes Mayo Clinic
Aug 31, 2009

Beer_Suitcase posted:

So my tiny spawn LOVES this song and i'm going to try to get her to sing a bit of the chorus. If i post an unlisted youtube link can we pull audio from that?

Sure can!

e: we’d only need the audio tho for sure, no need to point the camera at your kid.

Dukes Mayo Clinic fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jul 25, 2020

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

The song is reaching people! I got this random DM from a follower today

quote:

Hey buddy. I dont usually send DM's, but I just felt so inclined to this time because I wanted to say thanks!
Before following you I knew very little about what was truly happening in Portland except for the very little bullshit I would see on my local news, or the 1-2 minutes of also bullshit I'd get from the national news Face with rolling eyes
So thank you for opening my eyes and for everything you've been doing to raise awareness about it. I thought you should know that even if you've only reached one person like me (which I'm sure there's many others), that what you're doing definitely matters. Good poo poo brother, keep it up!

Sometimes we forget to let people know that what they're doing is actually making a difference to someone else ya know? So I felt I needed to tell you in case you're ever sitting there wondering if it's all worth it.

Well, it is my dude. It definitely is.

And also because of me learning about it from you it's made me start having conversations with my friends & family who also didn't know because we're on the other side of the country in Cleveland. So it spreads far & wide!

Dukes Mayo Clinic
Aug 31, 2009
Aw, that's excellent feedback to get. Hit me up whenever you've got another song in mind and you need a tune for it. :hfive:

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

i love this thread and this idea. i couldn't figure out the online vox thing, but here's my band's shot at it—i might do a music video at some point if i have time, but someone else is free to as well

https://soundcloud.com/captainviolence/my-old-mans-antifa-soviet-fourth-grader

Dukes Mayo Clinic
Aug 31, 2009

I love this so much.

And yeah Ninjam does have a learning curve. I wish more of my musical pals would use it but it’s not easy for everyone to pick up.

Dukes Mayo Clinic
Aug 31, 2009
who do I need to bribe to rename this thread “Cover these songs! Goonmade protest music ITT”

e: thanks mods

I’ll revisit the OP so it’s less ninjam-specific and more “spread this song around / post your covers”

I can’t get the chorus out of my head and have three different arrangements clashing in my brain at various times. I’ll work another one up this week and post it.

Dukes Mayo Clinic fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jul 27, 2020

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

CaptainViolence posted:

i love this thread and this idea. i couldn't figure out the online vox thing, but here's my band's shot at it—i might do a music video at some point if i have time, but someone else is free to as well

https://soundcloud.com/captainviolence/my-old-mans-antifa-soviet-fourth-grader

Incredible!

im trying to do another lyric.

"something something Dad is hanging out with black block kids again"
They walked up to wells fargo and SMASHED those windows in
The feds the fired gas and tried to make us yeild
But what these fashishts dont under stand is that buildings cannot feel"

or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.
I needed an excuse to record my upright anyway, so will try to get something together for a cover.