Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Chris James 2 posted:

Wade Keller finally got viewership numbers for the company

163k this week, highest since May; up 7k from last week and 28k from two weeks ago
Tied their highest 18-49 viewership of the year
Viewership's dropped due to corona (147k average since April; 174k average in Jan, Feb, and March)
Still easily the most-viewed thing on AXS
My biggest takeaways from this are:

1. That ShowBuzzDaily not having AXS/Impact ratings is now much more confusing. It's not that AXS is never registering a rating; Impact's P18-49 number was well within the top 150. So does why would Mitch not get any AXS ratings at all no matter the number?
2. This makes Rentrak's numbers more credible, right? Since, by their measurement, NJPW was allegedly doing 200,000 viewers from the jump on AXS and only got better as the brand got hotter in the U.S.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Can an internet lawyer please explain how "Anthem Wrestling Entertainment, LLC’s liability in this action was caused by Jeff Jarrett’s own breach of his fiduciary duty and his duty of loyalty and that Mr. Jarrett is liable to Anthem Wrestling for such breaches," exactly? If the lawsuit was about Jeff being fired and the merger being cancelled, OK, sure. But it's about Anthem/Impact using Jeff/GFW's IP without permission and negligently destroying the GFW Amp'd masters.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

collocation posted:

I would suspect it was because he's the reason that they could no longer use that footage due to his being negligent as an employee to the extent that he was justifiably released.

(no clue on the destruction bit, though)
But they didn't own the footage. If we're negotiating a deal—merger, sale, licensing agreement, whatever—that would end up with you being able to use my IP and the deal flames out because I go on a bender and you cut ties, you don't get to claim ownership the IP because you not getting it was my fault...right?

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

collocation posted:

I'm just spitballing, but it could have been that they had invested a certain amount into rebranding under the reasonable expectation that JJ would be competent and present that, while they definitely were not legally justified in using his IP without a deal after he was gone, his actions were also damaging to them on some legally recognizable level.

Do you recall when they announced his termination? Was it initially a suspension? Was there a delay after events? Could JJ have been stringing them along for awhile to get them to use the IP for as long as possible before pulling out and suing and/or upping the price for which he would let them use the IP? It could be that they were operating under the expectation that he was coming back for part of the period of time that they used his IP. Obviously, if the usage of his IP was predicated upon his employment, it should have ceased as soon as that employment ceased, but I don't know how long he was in limbo for, when he told them that he was revoking the IP, or what procedure was even necessary to revoke their rights. Am I correct that they never formalized the right to use it, even while he was there, but just figured that it would be no big thing since he worked there and said it was fine?
It was contingent on the merger. And there were emails that came out in discovery where Impact execs were making cracks about how they didn't think Jeff had the balls to sue, stuff like that.

quote:

Either way, it's incredibly slopped on Anthem's part to have even begun rebranding before they had a deal in place to purchase or get a long term license for the IP employed. Their immediate desire to run away from the TNA name wasn't an unnatural one, but they clearly got ahead of themselves and are now, seemingly to at least some extent, reaping what they sowed with their incompetence. It was all very needless since the value of GFW was largely nil to the public, and they could have picked any other name and, aside from a couple weeks of unification matches, it would have had equal value.
Even if it felt like a weird choice on the surface, it made some sense: It was a brand that had been on their programming before and the trademarks were already cleared.