Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

https://twitter.com/njpwglobal/status/1286995727860678656

That's a good loving line from Naito.

And Liger is PISSED on commentary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
People keep comparing LIJ to high school weirdo fan clubs, and if you remember those social circles they never loving helped each other either, so this is just staying on brand.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Liger is pissed a junior finally should be champion had a visual pinfall was clearly the better wrestler and he got screwed because Red Shoes is useless.

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

Tonfa posted:

This is a total heel move by Naito and people still applaud for him

I just don't get it

Naito is so beloved that the entire nation of Japan cheers him for beating up babyfaces like Juice Robinson and the audience tells Tanahashi to gently caress off and retire already when he challenges for a belt that Naito's actively destroying, there's not really much to "get" IMO

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Lid posted:

naito is as broken down as Tanahashi and less charismatic

Naito is a much bigger draw. That's why he is gonna mainevent the outdoor show and win the title back

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
https://twitter.com/reasonjp/status/1286996732069347328?s=20

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Burn Down Canberra posted:

Naito is a much bigger draw. That's why he is gonna mainevent the outdoor show and win the title back

not true tana is right up with him as the most popular wrestler in the country in every fan poll. also can both still put on true motyc level stuff when necessar

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

That performance was total Ace Things for Hiromu and he can be the God-King of NJPW at any time if they ever get over "but he's a junior heavyweight". EVIL did good enough.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

gently caress 'em up, Liger!

https://twitter.com/reasonjp/status/1286997082025291776

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Thauros posted:

not true tana is right up with him as the most popular wrestler in the country in every fan poll. also can both still put on true motyc level stuff when necessar

Okada is probably the biggest draw in the country and never goes crash hot on the ole numbers poll.

New Japan has become a juggernaut in Japan on the drawing power of Okada and Naito.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Okada has been so bad since NJPW came back lmao. What the gently caress is he even doing? At least Naito and EVIL will sell out a baseball stadium and give us the high quality pro wrestling we deserve.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Okada's insane brainworms where he simply MUST get the cobra clutch over are killing him as a wrestler

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Okada is using all his god powers to keep Japanese wrestling safe during COVID, it just means he can't use them in the ring until it's done

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

Okada is probably the biggest draw in the country and never goes crash hot on the ole numbers poll.

Okada's the corporate golden boy that Bushiroad puts in all their promotions and ads, but Naito alone represents 20% of all of NJPW's merch sales and people actually bought limited edition 1500 dollar statues of his hand. Naito is the biggest draw.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Imagine if he's still like this when the G1 rolls around and it's 9 straight matches of cobra clutch reversal action

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

Tonfa posted:

Imagine if he's still like this when the G1 rolls around and it's 9 straight matches of cobra clutch reversal action

Imagine if he goes 9-0 and wins the G1, with every single match being a cobra clutch tapout at 29:59

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Aesculus posted:

Okada's the corporate golden boy that Bushiroad puts in all their promotions and ads, but Naito alone represents 20% of all of NJPW's merch sales and people actually bought limited edition 1500 dollar statues of his hand. Naito is the biggest draw.

Okada sold out his 3rd match against SANADA during a typhoon at sumo hall. The guy obviously moves tickets. Some markets Okada is stronger and some Naito is stronger.

Not that I'm gonna really be pressed arguing this. Bushiroad has a strategy where both are being worked into the ground. They are both the top draws in the country. I wouldn't necessarily equate being popular with selling tickets. The numbers don't lie in the words of Scott Steiner. Okada and Naito have done ridiculous business

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Okada applies the seventh Cobra Clutch on Naito in the main event of Wrestle Kingdom 15 to absolute silence, convinced that the reason the crowd is slowly filing out through the doors is that they don't understand his brilliant psychology yet. Backstage Gedo sheds a single tear at what he has wrought.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Okada will get the cobra clutch over. At which point he will achieve apotheosis and ascend to the heavens before our eyes

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

I like the cobra clutch. Go skipper

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

Okada sold out his 3rd match against SANADA during a typhoon at sumo hall. The guy obviously moves tickets. Some markets Okada is stronger and some Naito is stronger.

Not that I'm gonna really be pressed arguing this. Bushiroad has a strategy where both are being worked into the ground. They are both the top draws in the country. I wouldn't necessarily equate being popular with selling tickets. The numbers don't lie in the words of Scott Steiner. Okada and Naito have done ridiculous business

Yeah that's fair.

I like the cobra clutch. Go skipper

This, however, is not what the gently caress

cams
Mar 28, 2003

just finished the main, EVIL is history's greatest monster and should GO TO JAIL!!!

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

cams posted:

just finished the main, EVIL is history's greatest monster and should GO TO JAIL!!!

I bit so hard on the Time Bomb 2 near fall. gently caress.

Really expected SANADA or Shingo to challenge next. Ah well, Ishimori vs. Hiromu should be great at least.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

At my local anime convention I do a NJPW and a Japanese Death Match panel. One year I showed this match for like 200 people probably and it got a standing ovation at the end.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Chinston Wurchill posted:

I bit so hard on the Time Bomb 2 near fall. gently caress.
i have not bit so hard on an underdog finish in so long. i 100% believed he had it, then the evil dick to go pulls him out.

legit salty, good job wrestling.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
I am loving dying at Suzuki and Nagata seemingly ignoring the match in the ring to just beat the poo poo out of each other on the outside of the ring.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

SalTheBard posted:

I am loving dying at Suzuki and Nagata seemingly ignoring the match in the ring to just beat the poo poo out of each other on the outside of the ring.

I wonder if this is leading to some kind of blowoff (retirement?) or if it's just their way of keeping themselves entertained?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

cams posted:

i have not bit so hard on an underdog finish in so long. i 100% believed he had it, then the evil dick to go pulls him out.

legit salty, good job wrestling.

Nomen est omen. Much like the guy called EVIL turned out to be evil, the guy called Dick Togo turned out to be a major dick.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I wonder if this is leading to some kind of blowoff (retirement?) or if it's just their way of keeping themselves entertained?

Yeah, that’s kinda what I was thinking too. Those two are getting a ton of time for something not involving belts. Suzuki recently-ish posted that thing about how he’s definitely not quitting (which autotranslated to him announcing he was done and everyone freaked the hell out), so if it’s a retirement thing it’s probably not him. Maybe they just want to do a special singles match again since they remembered how much fun they have together

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Also: Wato tags himself in, Nagata is like "No gently caress that" and just gets back in the ring. Holy poo poo I have never liked Yuji Nagata more than I have since NJPW came back.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

nagata vs suzuki at the baseball stadium will be "quite good."

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Tanahashi with social distancing hugs :(

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

They just can’t help themselves. They see one another, they must fight. The fates demand it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Liger special enforcer for the stadium show. Jado ambles down to ringside into the world's slowest shotei.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jul 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I love Dick Togo he's my favourite Wardlow