Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Interesting thing too in that the original game appears to require two controllers in order to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Wee Bairns posted:

Interesting thing too in that the original game appears to require two controllers in order to play.

That doesn’t sound that crazy to me. The 2 controller setup was already a thing for Goldeneye (or Robotron 64, or other games). You’d maybe think that it would cut the user base since people who wouldn’t have a second controller couldn’t play the game, but n64 controllers were cheap, like half the price of the games cheap. And after like the first year, Nintendo included two controllers with like every standard console since they leaned hard into the n64 being the group party box. I don’t remember anyone back in the day having a n64 and only one controller.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Arivia posted:

That doesn’t sound that crazy to me. The 2 controller setup was already a thing for Goldeneye (or Robotron 64, or other games). You’d maybe think that it would cut the user base since people who wouldn’t have a second controller couldn’t play the game, but n64 controllers were cheap, like half the price of the games cheap. And after like the first year, Nintendo included two controllers with like every standard console since they leaned hard into the n64 being the group party box. I don’t remember anyone back in the day having a n64 and only one controller.

Don't forget there were also third-party controllers that were even cheaper too.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Don't forget there were also third-party controllers that were even cheaper too.

Please, let me.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tell us you were a younger sibling, without saying you were a younger sibling.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Arivia posted:

Oh I'm aware others utilized two controllers, that was a thing even on the NES (Duck Hunt being an example I stumbled into as a kiddo), I was just surprised to see that it was actually required in order to play, not just a gimmick.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Imagine the maddest catz possible.

Madder.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

Wee Bairns posted:

This game is barely a prototype so that wouldn’t be in the final, especially not with Nintendo’s certification checks. Makes sense to put the menus a normal player would see on controller 1 and then level select menus on controller 2 so that they can keep the menus separate and disable them at release.

That menu is annoying. It’s a bunch of icons that you have to select before you get a label telling what it does. It’s an example of “Mystery Meat” navigation

https://youtu.be/5Zd0Uc8Oixg?feature=shared

Also the character designs are 1998 as hell - westerner draws manga style for the first time. likely also scratch art

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Apr 9, 2024

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Coffee Jones posted:

Also the character designs are 1998 as hell - westerner draws manga style for the first time. likely also scratch art

The main character on the menu screen is a case of "copy Leona from Dominion Tank Police but put a hat on her."

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Small Strange Bird posted:

The main character on the menu screen is a case of "copy Leona from Dominion Tank Police but put a hat on her."

It's Fio from Metal Slug without glasses.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

How dare they

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
Hell yes new n64 games

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's Fio from Metal Slug without glasses.

It's a bit more literal than that, her face is directly copy-pasted from page 27 of Shirow's Intron Depot 2 artbook.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

art theives are a menace to civilised society

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

The game wasn't finished, so it might have just been a placeholder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

Chev posted:

It's a bit more literal than that, her face is directly copy-pasted from page 27 of Shirow's Intron Depot 2 artbook.

Gotcha - that's placeholder art to set the vibe.
This would have shipped in the same era as Oni and Shogo. Too many years have passed, there's no cringe left. I just have to smile.