Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I tried out that original Game Boy bible at a Christian bookstore many years ago ago and it was surprisingly good enough that I could see it having been worth a consideration for the type of person that has to have a bible with them when they travel and was already planning on packing a Game Boy. Surprisingly responsive and the search function worked well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Dip Viscous posted:

I tried out that original Game Boy bible at a Christian bookstore many years ago ago and it was surprisingly good enough that I could see it having been worth a consideration for the type of person that has to have a bible with them when they travel and was already planning on packing a Game Boy. Surprisingly responsive and the search function worked well.

hosed up that wisdom tree might have actually made a good product

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

"The Bible for Gameboy" has powerful username energy

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Jazerus posted:

"The Bible for Gameboy" has powerful username energy

thats called a game genie i think

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Magic is heresy. Game Shark.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

hosed up that wisdom tree might have actually made a good product

Eh, a couple of their games were semi-decent. I remember Spiritual Warfare wasn't that bad, at any rate.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Super 3D Noah's Ark is okay but only because it’s built onto another good game.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

The Kins posted:

There was a bible released for the OG Game Boy that was actually oddly difficult to emulate for a hot minute.

What if the manual that came with it was just another bible???

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
it's bibles all the way down

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Would the development docs for that be The Bible Bible?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
noahs 3d ark is better than the snes port of wolfenstein and doom

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

SeANMcBAY posted:

this is also true of Spiritual Warfare

it's a Zelda clone but like, it's not a terrible Zelda clone

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Lunatic Sledge posted:

this is also true of Spiritual Warfare

it's a Zelda clone but like, it's not a terrible Zelda clone

Wish it had more than 1 song tho

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

SeANMcBAY posted:

Did they make custom levels for it or just edit the ones from Wolfenstein?

RiffRaff1138
Feb 28, 2006

Every single motherfucker thinks they're gonna save the fuckin' world... Why not do something about the shitty economy or whatever instead?! Son of a bitch!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Did they make custom levels for it or just edit the ones from Wolfenstein?
It uses completely new maps. For some reason, a lot of people seem to think it reuses Wolfenstein's maps, but it takes seconds to confirm that this isn't the case.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I guess it would take seconds if you've played a ton of Wolfenstein.

But I've played Wolfenstein through years ago and just a little every other time, which I imagine is true for most people. And I gotta admit, cuz of the time it released not a lot of parts of that game are super distinct from each other. I couldn't sit here and map out any part of the game.

Just lots of hallways and doors

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7L2bOVHf_9Y&t=261s

Former Hudson employee going through old dev ROMs he saved.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

NyetscapeNavigator posted:

That rules. I love Hudson. I hope they’re preserved.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

Dewgy posted:

Not especially hard, there was even an eBook maker thing for if you had a GB flashcard. I think there’s a ROM I made of the complete works of Lovecraft still floating around on the internet somewheres.

Used to use it for my schoolbooks too, which annoyed the hell out of my English teacher. :v:

How much rom do you have on that? The Bible is a few megs in plain text which is larger than the 128 or 256kb your typical early 90’s ROM, so there’s on-the-fly decompression that has to happen when viewing - don’t expect full text search like a PDF. 8 kb RAM, and a Z80, God bless us all. On the upside, text compresses well.

NyetscapeNavigator posted:

All NROM (no mapper chips) games so he must have worked there pre 1986. C’mon, Luchador bro, it’s been forty years.

Hudson was the first 3rd party developer. I forget if they were producing games with or without a Nintendo license in 1983. No lockout chips on the Famicom.
You talk about console launches being rough, it wasn’t until ‘85 when 3rd parties are “Oh the FC is a Thing, now.”

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Apr 14, 2023

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
the bible is likely extremely favorable to things like dictionary compression. how much so is hard to say.

Jesus saves (space in the ROM)

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
https://twitter.com/forestillusion/status/1651896762033111040

well dang

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!
drat, that sucks, reasons make sense but hope someone can take over the efforts at least in some form

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

THESE PACKETS ARE... SUMMARILY DEALT WITH
yet another internet library of alexandria burning down in front of us

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

VERY COOL MAN posted:

yet another internet library of alexandria burning down in front of us

Thankfully not, it’s an archive.org link because it includes a copy of everything they ever released.

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

Arivia posted:

Thankfully not, it’s an archive.org link because it includes a copy of everything they ever released.

thats great news!! the principle of them being strongarmed into closure (i have to assume, even if nobody is quite sure what happened yet) still upsets me but at least the extant material remains.

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!
Doesnt look like they were strongarmed, the explanation is pretty clear

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

VERY COOL MAN posted:

thats great news!! the principle of them being strongarmed into closure (i have to assume, even if nobody is quite sure what happened yet) still upsets me but at least the extant material remains.

Did you read the post at all?

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Luigiblood/Yakumono knows exactly what happened and while he doesn't want to go into specifics he makes it clear it wasn't a takedown over any of its releases:

https://twitter.com/LuigiBlood/status/1651887775673643008

As an aside, here is Forest of Illusion's final release, which a lot of people may have missed because it was posted about a day before the site went kaput:

Nintendo LodgeNet 64 (Gateway System) ROM Collection

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

The idea of a single-player only Gauntlet Legends is mind-boggling.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Waffleman_ posted:

Whether or not it’s due to specific legal action, until it is exposed to something else detailed it will contribute to the chilling effect of Nintendo’s offensive legal strategies. There’s nothing out of line in those assumptions.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

VERY COOL MAN posted:

Grassy Knowles posted:

Whether or not it’s due to specific legal action, until it is exposed to something else detailed it will contribute to the chilling effect of Nintendo’s offensive legal strategies. There’s nothing out of line in those assumptions.
My read is that some Nintendo legal action that was adjacent to, but not directly related to the site, meant they felt a level of risk that was no longer comfortable for them to operate. Which, yes, this is the exact chilling effect Nintendo wants to have.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I hope nothing happens to tcrf which is probably my favorite website on the internet :(

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
funny you mention that

my understanding of forest of illusion is that the person who operated that site is somewhat notorious for getting spooked, packing up shop, and deleting everything; this isn't the first time they've done it and it may not be the last.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Real shame. Hope they’re back someday.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
i hope not because i don't feel like repeating "guy gets spooked and deletes everything" for the third time. someone else can take over.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Zamujasa posted:

i hope not because i don't feel like repeating "guy gets spooked and deletes everything" for the third time. someone else can take over.

We also still have places like Gaming Alexandria and Hidden Palace doing great work with preservation. Forest of Illusion’s past work hasn’t been lost so while I appreciate all they’ve contributed, I’m fine with them bowing out if they can’t handle the stress and risk that comes with the territory.

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

nope cant read. soz

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!
tim is at it again. mfer is sitting on a copy of zelda64. :eyepop: need to set up a oceans11 style heist.

https://twitter.com/drdoak/status/1656746067822538763

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/GunnWriter/status/1656991330319335425?t=yQyeqnT0FzwRRxOzn4A9PQ&s=19

It belongs in a museum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

i want that