Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

me too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Johnny Postnemonic posted:

tim is at it again. mfer is sitting on a copy of zelda64. :eyepop: need to set up a oceans11 style heist.

https://twitter.com/drdoak/status/1656746067822538763

Don't do this to me.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
nintendo is going to kill tim stamper

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I didn’t realize Rare was involved somehow with Ocarina.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

SeANMcBAY posted:

I didn’t realize Rare was involved somehow with Ocarina.

Apparently Nintendo would just send out dev builds to close developers to show off what they were working on and get feedback.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Apparently Nintendo would just send out dev builds to close developers to show off what they were working on and get feedback.

It would go both ways too, it’s how Miyomoto would give feedback to Western devs.

From what I gather that is still a thing, but with Wario World. I don’t have a dev account anymore so I am not sure if that is still a thing though.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

https://twitter.com/intimsworld/status/1660367858935775233

He should snap a bit off the cartridge connector every time someone posts 'omg dump it you greedy dickhead' at him.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Time to stamp out Tim stamper

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
My uncle already let me played that who cares

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
look at all the cool stuff i have that i'll never let anyone else see or experience :jerkbag:

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Maybe he's hoping a group of archivists will rob him.

"oh no... I'm being robbed... definitely don't go into the office and look in the gray filing cabinet, third drawer, all the way in the back"

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!
We need to heist tim stamper.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Zamujasa posted:

look at all the cool stuff i have that i'll never let anyone else see or experience :jerkbag:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Maybe he's bitter about Zelda outdoing Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Zamujasa posted:

It is pretty cool

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
I'm not disagreeing, it is cool, I'm just bored of people who show off one or two pictures of a unique thing they have before burying it back in the Vault, never to be seen or experienced by anyone else.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
What do the Stampers even do now aside from being filthy rich?

I assume that posting what photos they have on Twitter is already enough to burn bridges with Nintendo.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Nintendo is gonna sue that guy and then garnish his prison wages again

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Mercury_Storm posted:

Nintendo is gonna sue that guy and then garnish his prison wages again

they're gonna hire a P.I. and the pinkertons to recover their assets. this guy's gonna get

stamped out :cool:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Mercury_Storm posted:

Nintendo is gonna sue that guy

Good

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

jackhunter64 posted:

https://twitter.com/intimsworld/status/1660367858935775233

He should snap a bit off the cartridge connector every time someone posts 'omg dump it you greedy dickhead' at him.

He could livestream himself dumping the ROM and uploading it online and then eBay those 3 sealed copies of Ocarina of Time to pay for his legal defense.

Or his mountains of cash or whatever because he's rich.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

What do the Stampers even do now aside from being filthy rich?

One of their son's started a mobile game company lol and they backed it but I don't think they're involved other than that.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

I agree, whats the point of showing this other than "look how cool I am." Good for you, you got an n64 devcart. Like, why bother if the followup tweet isn't "and I'm working with museum x to dump and preserve"

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

I agree, whats the point of showing this other than "look how cool I am." Good for you, you got an n64 devcart. Like, why bother if the followup tweet isn't "and I'm working with museum x to dump and preserve"

Rich people are scumbags who like to lord their wealth over the commoners

thats it

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Ah, so the perfect tweet, got it.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
nintendo will kill him if he dumps it nothing he can do

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

nintendo will kill him if he dumps it nothing he can do

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TECGwfkGZM

Get a taste of an Incredibly Rare Um Jammer Lammy arcade game

as in like these cutscenes have been ripped from pretty much the only known copy of it left

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Badass

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Waffleman_ posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TECGwfkGZM

Get a taste of an Incredibly Rare Um Jammer Lammy arcade game

as in like these cutscenes have been ripped from pretty much the only known copy of it left

Which is, bizarrely, owned by a British talk show host.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

nintendo will kill him if he dumps it

sounds good op

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Dewgy posted:

Which is, bizarrely, owned by a British talk show host.
I instantly knew who you were talking about just based on that lol. Theres literally no other tv presenter i can imagine owning this cabinet.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I had an idea of who it was, looked it up and was entirely correct.
It's Jonathan Ross for anyone wondering.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Doesn't this happen a lot in the arcade collecting community? Someone gets something undumped and they just lock it away in a basement because if they dump it the value might technically go down?

I'm trying to think of some examples of that but I only vaguely remember it happening, but I swear it's happened more than once.

I have this maybe biased conception of the arcade community being just awful. Every time I have to interact with mame devs it's like getting my wisdom teeth removed through the top of my skull with no anaesthetic so that might be why.

Edit: well I guess an example was literally right there in the posts above me.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

BrainDance posted:

Doesn't this happen a lot in the arcade collecting community? Someone gets something undumped and they just lock it away in a basement because if they dump it the value might technically go down?

I'm trying to think of some examples of that but I only vaguely remember it happening, but I swear it's happened more than once.

I have this maybe biased conception of the arcade community being just awful. Every time I have to interact with mame devs it's like getting my wisdom teeth removed through the top of my skull with no anaesthetic so that might be why.

Edit: well I guess an example was literally right there in the posts above me.

the ‘arcade community’ is a lot of different things. the rhythm game people have their own private communities like sows where they share arcade machine images among other stuff. the people really into shmups have their own corners online and tend to be pretty nice and knowledgeable mostly. ‘collectors’ who care more about the value of what they have can suck poo poo tho yeah

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
collectors who are concerned about My Prototype's Value :qq: are, unfortunately, not unique to any particular system or group.

though in the case of arcade games and neo-geo poo poo, iirc there are a few known prototypes out there and they really hate the idea of any of them getting dumped

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Re: MAME, most of the devs are fine but they seem to pick the most short-fused people on the planet to do community facing stuff.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
a more complete prototype of resident evil 1.5 is sealed away in some guy's private collection which unfortunately happens a lot

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

a more complete prototype of resident evil 1.5 is sealed away in some guy's private collection which unfortunately happens a lot

That one got leaked a while ago, the version you're referring to was bought by a dude who went by the handle psx museum who had first dibs on it from a private seller, then turned around and tried to sell it for a stupid amount of money. Me and 2 others were negotiating for the sale but it fell through because he kept raising the price.

Unfortunately for him, the same build had multiple copies in the wild (2 that I know of) and it got leaked about five years ago, give or take.

People have been using that leaked build to turn it into an actual completable game for a while now, to mixed success.

E: on reflection there's probably at least one more build out there, but I've not looked into it in any huge detail

tithin fucked around with this message at 01:57 on May 25, 2023

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

From all the stories I've read about various attempts to purchase some of the copies out there, apparently at least one person legit owns a copy of the "80 percent build" that is more complete than what was leaked some time ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!
I heard there was a 90% build, basically everything but fmvs but i dunno if that was just internet poo poo