Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

IIRC, there werent any voiceovers recorded yet (I may be wrong but I think the voice clips in the trailers were only done solely for the footage and not taken from the game itself), and the FMVs were still being planned out with animatics by the studio Capcom outsourced to.

The most up-to-date build I think had puzzles implemented and could be completed start to finish with in-game cutscenes in place, along with Birkin's other transformations and other stuff seen in previews.

The owner(s) of that copy are incredibly hosed up for not sharing it with the world, RE 1.5 fascinated me by how bad it was going to be lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

There was also a modding group of assholes that refused to release a rip of their copy without their changes in it, which might have taken a very long time for them to finish and who knows if they would ever release an unmodified version. I believe they got really mad when somebody also had a copy of the same version and released it.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
https://youtu.be/nsbHytJFzEE
Lazy Game Reviews and Did you Know Gaming collab on a ‘many canceled episodes and expansions of Half Life’

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The ravenholm Arkane stuff that noclip showed a few years ago looked really cool, shame it never leaked.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/MegaDriveShock/status/1675798596950847488?t=elI2dR7pY1FYxfdsAwuMgQ&s=19

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I think that email was sent the day I fell and cracked my head while watching one of my older brother's baseball games, very interesting!

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Out of context quote from page 30 of the report posted:

When did we decide on Hare Krishna cult members?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I assume that's a GOURANGA thing

edit: from the first GTA games, I mean

ymgve fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jul 3, 2023

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Well I know at least a few people who will be interested in that. :stare:

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

ymgve posted:

I assume that's a GOURANGA thing

edit: from the first GTA games, I mean

Nah, it was notes from Tom Kalinske on a storyboard for a Saturn commercial. There is an airport, and two screens show the arrival/departures, and then the third has virtual fighter on it. Two hare krishnas ("sect members") are watching excitedly, and then you see two pilots are playing the game. A flight attendant behind them says "Come on you guys! Everyone's on board... lets go! This is serious! You don't expect ME to fly that plane do you? YOU HEAR ME?!?"

Cut to one of the hare krishnas flying the plane and he yells "SEGA"

quote:

casting of pilots is very important, let’s get younger pilots our target audience can identify with. When did we decide on Hare Krishna cult members? Who in our audience identifies with them? They might be good for attention/humor, but not for selling product. Don’t we need someone more typical of our audience, i.e., college age, in this spot?

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

:getin:

Can’t wait to play DUKE NEWCOMB 3D. Hail to the ‘do, baby!

Duke Newcomb Forever will be a massive disappointment

Absolute bloodbath.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Blue Moonlight posted:

Absolute bloodbath.

The last couple of pages has some fun talk about AOL and Compuserve not being able to work with the Saturn. Somebody comes back with something along the lines of "what are our conversations with Yahoo looking like"

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Friend posted:

The last couple of pages has some fun talk about AOL and Compuserve not being able to work with the Saturn. Somebody comes back with something along the lines of "what are our conversations with Yahoo looking like"

Hah, I love how someone at Sega looked at Packard Bell Navigator and thought “we’ve got to get in on this poo poo!”

Veotax
May 16, 2006

The guys behind Noclip, the video game documentary channel channel, have started up a new project. They've gotten a hold of tons of various games media tapes and are in the process of digitising them.
This is stuff that was either uploaded decades ago in awful quality for internet speeds at the time, or never uploaded at all and was just for b-roll or internal use and the like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KKCWGN2fBs

The channel where they're starting to put stuff up is over here
There's a few things up there already, a mix of stuff we've seen before in higher quality (Nintendo's Spaceworld 2000 Gamecube tech demo reel, the entire 2009 Microsoft E3 press conference), and some stuff that's never been released publicly before, like a closed door E3 presentation of Kotor.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

This is something Giant Bomb was doing for a while too with the Gamespot tape archive, it was super cool seeing E3 promo tapes and proper film quality E3 conferences.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

njsykora posted:

This is something Giant Bomb was doing for a while too with the Gamespot tape archive, it was super cool seeing E3 promo tapes and proper film quality E3 conferences.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DfUH9NMNCQ

Veotax
May 16, 2006

njsykora posted:

Hell, this is probably actually those game tapes. Danny used to work at Gamespot, so he has connections there, and it wouldn't surprise me if Fandom was making GS throw the tapes out now.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Yep, Jeff Gerstmann posted as much on bluesky. When Danny said that they were able to rescue one of the biggest collections of tapes I half expected it to pan to "Hi my name is Jeff and welcome to my garage".

https://bsky.app/profile/jeffgerstmann.com/post/3jznk2oy36b2k

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Party Boat posted:

Yep, Jeff Gerstmann posted as much on bluesky. When Danny said that they were able to rescue one of the biggest collections of tapes I half expected it to pan to "Hi my name is Jeff and welcome to my garage".

https://bsky.app/profile/jeffgerstmann.com/post/3jznk2oy36b2k

for those who don't have access to bluesky what does the post say?

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

IShallRiseAgain posted:

for those who don't have access to bluesky what does the post say?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Sorry, didn't realise that you couldn't read the site without an account

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

Party Boat posted:

Sorry, didn't realise that you couldn't read the site without an account

Do you have a invite i can borrow

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

I've only just signed up so they haven't given me any codes yet. When they do I'll PM you

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_nYhZrjY8w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Mn5dBex3Cc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_zeuDx4iRc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpE9dCZ3ijw

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
https://gamehistory.org/cyan/

Video Game History Foundation is digitizing a pile of tapes from Cyan

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
https://twitter.com/VinciusMedeiro6/status/1689141576763584513

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Neat. Hopefully they can update that new port to a incorporate some of this stuff.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

SeANMcBAY posted:

Neat. Hopefully they can update that new port to a incorporate some of this stuff.
The new port already includes "finished" versions of the new alternate enemy spritesets (except for one, which is coming later) and some of the textures. One of the producers also retweeted this to a.) ask how these are getting leaked b.) deny all responsibility and c.) announce plans to just shove this and some other previously-leaked ROTT prototypes into a "goodies folder" in the new port's install directory at some point

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Ah I didn’t know that. I haven’t grabbed it yet but will. It sounds great.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

The Kins posted:

The new port already includes "finished" versions of the new alternate enemy spritesets (except for one, which is coming later) and some of the textures. One of the producers also retweeted this to a.) ask how these are getting leaked b.) deny all responsibility and c.) announce plans to just shove this and some other previously-leaked ROTT prototypes into a "goodies folder" in the new port's install directory at some point

lol this rules

edit:

https://twitter.com/DaveOshry/status/1689247749244338177

https://twitter.com/DaveOshry/status/1689251493654798337

Zamujasa fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Aug 10, 2023

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
Popping in here to self-promote some of my work in the Quake 2 rerelease. Specifically, the id Vault contains a bunch of content that was cut from Q2, or early versions. There are playable versions of the E3 97 and ECTS 97 campaigns, and a video recording of the ECTS 97 build with all the original assets in there as they were at the time. We put the TCRF in the game (although the TCRF page is starting to cover the rerelease stuff too!)

There's also some early maps in the "old" directory in the pak file.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

spongeh posted:

Popping in here to self-promote some of my work in the Quake 2 rerelease. Specifically, the id Vault contains a bunch of content that was cut from Q2, or early versions. There are playable versions of the E3 97 and ECTS 97 campaigns, and a video recording of the ECTS 97 build with all the original assets in there as they were at the time. We put the TCRF in the game (although the TCRF page is starting to cover the rerelease stuff too!)

Incredible. You guys did fantastic work on this package.

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

spongeh posted:

i noticed some of this, awesome loving work.

can we play the e3 97 stuff on the console release?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Johnny Postnemonic posted:

i noticed some of this, awesome loving work.

can we play the e3 97 stuff on the console release?
Yeah, the playable Id Vault stuff isn't full-on prototype builds, it's old levels crowbarred into the final game, so they're playable on all platforms.

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

The Kins posted:

Yeah, the playable Id Vault stuff isn't full-on prototype builds, it's old levels crowbarred into the final game, so they're playable on all platforms.

i didnt realize before, didnt realize you could click on the names and get higher res looks at stuff and launch things. so cooool

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

spongeh posted:

Playing through these, sooo cool. Well done.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

The Kins posted:

For the record, the ECTS maps have a video recording of the built in demos, so you can compare the maps to that to get an idea of how much it differed. Which is pretty dramatically; for some reason the Strogg little guys were very little, they were modeled very tiny and were scaled up by the game 1.2x. Lots of placeholder sounds and UI for a game that was 2 months from shipping. It's crazy how much changed between these releases.

I was also on the two QuakeCon streams on Bethesda's Twitch from last Thursday. They might be a bit hard to dig out of the 8 hour stream, but Kevin Cloud and Marty Stratton were both on there and told some Q2 development stories too if you love hearing the strange ways 90s id operated.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

ECTS, now there's a name I haven't heard in a long time...

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Post small strogg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
A PC sequel to the CD-i game Escape from CyberCity has been found in a thrift store, of all places. The original game was effectively a butchered port of a laserdisc game built around footage from Galaxy Express 999 and its sequel. Who knows what this sequel holds/pulls footage from? Well, we will soon - the disc's been sent off to Hidden Palace to pull their usual tricks.