Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I know in my heart that the L is real texture probably doesn't say anything interesting, but I hope they can dig a high rez version of it from somewhere in the files just to put it to bed.

Like we just got a translation of the map icon from OoT anything feels posible right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Tbh its kinda funny to see GameXplain post videos about the hottest latest discoveries but they aren't acually allowed show anything so they have to just describe it instead.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Coffee Jones posted:

here's the released game - absolute maze compared to LTTP or anything else, really.
The maps are the same size

and just for kicks here's Final Fantasy Adventure -

All are the same size, 16 by 16 screens.

lol wut

The weird scalled down Skull woods on this Lttp map look like they were iterated upon to create the final woods area used in LA. Parts of the layout are identical.

I wonder at what point they changed between making something based off Lttp and went on to do their own thing? This layout is so clearly still Lttp at this point but there are also elements unique to LA incorporated already. The Mario Statues are very LA for example.

Edit holy poo poo looking closer Kakariko and Maybe village and Hyrule and Richard's castle look very similar also. This is nuts, so much of the game was a riff on Lttp and we didn't notice.

Mr Phillby fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Aug 3, 2020

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Theres a lot of cool stories about clever piracy protection but honestly the Game Dev Tycoon developers releasing a cracked version of their own game on pirate bay is my personal fav. The cracked version was modified so the levels of in-game piracy would exponentially increase to the point that everyone playing said version of the game would have their development studio fail and go bankrupt because nobody would actually buy your games.

Then of course the people who pirated the game would take to forums and social media to complain that they couldn't stop their games from being pirated.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Okay what the gently caress why is every single copy of that yoshi animation behaving differently fo me on this page? One of them is even stretching and squashing as I scroll the screen is yoshi haunted

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Crusin' USA, thats not the shape school busses are at all.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Other M would have been a much better game if Samus behaved exactly like she does in the joke manga.

The Mew thing is really neat because not only has a glitch been discovered to catch Mew that's exactly as arbitrary to pull of as all the old schoolground rumours were but also it turns out the game is so busted it's technically possible to completely rewrite the game's code from the inside out and program Mew to actually be under the drat truck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCoQm8bIyyw&t=1423s

If I understand correctly this was actually just a hacked save file but it's theoretically possible to pull of using Arbitrary Code Execution glitches. However using Ace glitches to put a rare pokemon under a truck is like using an atomic bomb to put out birthday candles so I don't know if anyone's bothered.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I love that in amongst the weird giant versions of the Deku Tree, Fire Temple, hyrule field etc. there's a teeny wee version of the forest temple!

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Vikar Jerome posted:

this is cool. tho reading that whole rare gamer thing is distorting my own personal timeline canon since i recall using the BK codes to get the swap items before BT was released, it was codes found on the internet/gaming mag i think but now im wondering if im misremembering when my brother got tooie or if the release date here was later than the usa maybe or the codes were in a mag way before bt came out? eh who knows.

then again i remember using codes in goldeneye to unlock extra characters and roger moore in mp and those codes dont unlock roger moore so i guess my memory is hosed lmao
I also swear the extra characters code unlocked the other bonds but looks like my memory is shot too. Those Goldeneye codes were insane, I remember there was a full double page spread in my nintendo magazine when they were revealled. Not only could I get access to all the cheats I wasn't good enough to unlock there were slso a bunch if completely new cheats effects and unlockabkes it ruled.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Ninjabread man and its siblings aren't actually the same game they have different themes and levels. The games started out as a liscenced Zool sequel but the rights owner pulled the plug because of quality concerns. Zool has pretty disparate level themes (candyland, toy box, rock and roll music) so they just split the levels they already made into three different games.

Also wild seeing the Petz series apparently lasted into the wii era? Haven thought about Petz since 1995.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Catz and Dogz ruled, the animation was great for the time.

I had no idea that the same people were behind Ballz but that makes so much sense. Faux 3d animation using billboard spries lends itself much better to pet sims than fighting games it turns out. Seeing a fighting game with 3D mechanics on the megadrive is kinda impressive though.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Getting nostalgic for the Scholastic book program where they'd turn up at your school with a bunch of books but they'd also have a catalog with cheap 'educational' pc games.

My parents let me order the Animals educational pack which included Catz, Dogz and ... Worms.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Turns out a Timesplitters 2 easter egg in Homefront: the Revolution is actually a near complete 4K remaster of the full game that's accessable through debug codes:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.eu...-now-been-found

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
https://twitter.com/ts_rewind/status/1379511522809032707?s=19
Lol

I can't believe I'm actually going to buy a Homefront game.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
^^^ yeah we understand why they did the cheapest and easiest thing we just think that such a popular and profitable series of games deserves a lot better than that. The recent Tony Hawk 1+2 remake had 5 songs that they couldn't re-licence so they added in 36 new ones.

Tbh a remaster that simultaneously has no interest in maintaining and preserving the original experience while also offering nothing substantially new or improved is just kinda sad.

Like the only selling point of this collection in my eyes is that they were so sloppy that a bunch of interesting stuff they didn't want us to see got packed in lol.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Donkey kong became Kranky kong and theres some controversy over what became of DK junior, but theres zero evidence that mario and what we would consider 'modern DK' (ie DK jr jr) have ever interacted outside of like sports spinoffs where he coexists with his metal and baby selves anyway. New Donk has references to later Rare era Kongs in the street names but the actual visuals shown only reference the original arcade game.

Mario is stuck in time and unchanging, but split across two eras: the present where most of the games happen and the past where everyone is babies. This is made very explicit in Mario and Luigi Partners in time. Broklyn accent mario doesn't exist in any canonical Mario media at all, a product of early spinoff media, no more relevant than the green megaman from the captain N cartoon.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Waffleman_ posted:

There's literally a whole series with Mario and Modern DK. Mario vs. Donkey Kong.
Do any other Kongs appear and if not what makes you think thats Jr Jr other than the fact he wears a tie

Edit: theres some amiibo based one i never heard of with Diddy kong but I assert that is simply Diddy senior senior all kongs decendants alternate between being big weird babies that wear a onesie forever or just looking exactly the same, this is a known fact about kongs

Mr Phillby fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Dec 23, 2021

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
To further confuse things Donkey Kong 94 is the direct predecessor to the Mario vs DK games, and it came out the same year as DKC. It features a version of DK that uses the older design but also wears a red tie like his grandson would later that year.

The mario wiki has one page for DK and notes he is two characters, whereas the DK wiki has a page for DK and for 'Donkey Kong III'. i think this sums up peoples attitude to the the lore in both series, for a mario game who loving cares about continuity, but for DK we care very deeply.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Procrastine posted:

How do you feel about the theory that the current Donkey Kong is actually DK V, with DK I being the arcade Donkey Kong who later became the Cranky Kong in the SNES DKC games, and DK III being the Donkey Kong from the SNES DKC games, who later became the Cranky Kong in the Retro Studios DKC games, as evidenced by that Cranky being nostalgic for the SNES games while the first Cranky was nostalgic for the arcade games?
Thats hard to argue against, I'm all for it as long as we never see the new intermediate generation of the DK crew (who as discused before will all be adult babies wearing onesies, except for Kiddy Kong, who is generationally out of step with the others).

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Vord posted:

But the dualshock is just a snes controller with two more buttons and analog sticks
I also don't think its fair to call it the template for all other controllers when most others don't replicate its weird legacy left stick placement. Its there because thats where there was room to put it on the OG PS controller, just like the N64 its a design that prioritises the D-Pad over the new fangled sticks, only sony stuck with that placement forever for some reason.

Tis just a step in the ever evolving trends, 2 analog sticks was a huge stepforward but both its lauded features, analog sticks and rumble, were nicked from the N64 controller and doubled. If nintendo anounced a controller that punched you in the face sony would immediately start working on one that kicks you in the balls.

Xbox controller obviously ripped off the dreamcast too, same face button placement.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Dualshock has the superior left stick placement
No it really doesnt unless you're primarily using the d-pad.

They put them there because there was room on their existing snes with legs design and they didn't want to gently caress up the conroller setup for existing games using the old design. Every other controller design since the ps1 era has the left stick in a more prominent and comfortable position. Dualshock stays as it is through sheer brand inertia and nothing else.

This is the same company that launched the psp with a misaligned square button sensor because the screen bevel got in the way and they didn't want to move the buttons a few mm to the right they prioritise things looking neat and symetrical to the detrement of comfort and usability. Always have, always will.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Vita's main strategy after a year or two was also "It plays some PS4 games portably, but you still have to buy them seperate at full retail price", which was never gonna be a winner. It's a great machine, but it didn't exactly have system-selling exclusives.

And most of them jumped ship to PS4 by the end anyway.

The PS4 remote play on vita was actually amazing, idk whee you heard you'd have to buy twice? Iirc there were some native vita games that didn't have crossbuy with their PS4 versions and the PS3 remote play was limited and bad so maybe that's what you're thinking of?

But like just connect to wifi anywhere and you could just load up and stream from your PS4 it ruled.

Only downside was they for some reason didn't include the back triggers or clicky sticks on the vita so for most games you had to assign stuff to virtual buttons mapped to the rear touchpad. Most boneheaded part of the vita imo, i could forgive the sticks but no R/L2 made most games a real pain to play remotely.

Remote play diablo 3 was really good because of the games robust button mapping options at least.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Dewgy posted:

Which is, bizarrely, owned by a British talk show host.
I instantly knew who you were talking about just based on that lol. Theres literally no other tv presenter i can imagine owning this cabinet.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

John Murdoch posted:

I'm confounded at the idea that the "red" on what is "obviously" Mario is somehow being fully distorted or obfuscated or whatever, but not the giant red squares in the checkerboard pattern.

There are quite large areas of the checkerboard that appear green tho? Paricularly on the right sides of each block of colour which is consistent with how the color bleed on the right monitor shows portions of mario as green. The left screen mario/luigi is much smaller in the frame so the whole shape fits inside the bleed.

Edit: in fact the orignal picture has marios hat intersect with the red checkerboard and the side thats touching does appear red around that point. Its only fully green when the red portions of the model are completely within the white checker board squares.

Mr Phillby fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Dec 18, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

John Murdoch posted:

Your edit, that part I can see. But otherwise I'm flatout not seeing "quite large areas" that appear green. :shrug: I see like, one edge of a red square that seems to be fuzzing into murky green.

My overall point being, how the hell is the color bleed (or whatever is supposedly going on) so perfect that it conveniently turns every last pixel of bright red on "Mario" into Luigi's bright green with no other substantive effects on anything else? Even the lives icon, completely off by itself against a blue background, is consistently green and not red. Like if there was some kind of color distortion on that level how is there any red left in the image at all?? And why is it apparently only a problem for that specific screen but not the other ones?

My response to that is what are you talking about the lives counter is completely the wrong colour? Its very desaturated on the right and appears as a greenish smear on the left. both screens in the video have the same heavy colour bleed going on. Only large blocks of colour appear to display the correct colour on these screens and even then thats only because they exeed the size of the bleed effect which seems to be of a sufficient depth to have affected the entirely of the player model. The green on the mario/luigi does appear more vivid and if the red is bleeding into the white background to the left its not perceivable like it is with the large mario on the right screen.

I honestly dont know if this footage is mario or luigi, it would be supprising to me if they'd shown real footage of luigi playable at spaceworld and nobody remembered it until now, but stranger things have happened. Personally i think basing anything off the colours of these few hosed up frames of vhs footage on a crt screen is not going to get a definitive answer.