Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

There's very little from the modern era that would excite me if leaked but 80s/90s Nintendo? I'm all over that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Nintendo doesn't owe anyone anything of this stuff but it would be incredibly cool if they released it, scrubbed of personal information. They routinely shoot themselves in their foot but releasing old stuff would be very cool.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Interestingly, Rare still made games for the GBA and DS up until 2008. I don't remember if Microsoft or Rare said anything but it was basically "Microsoft doesn't have a portable system so they don't care if Rare makes games for Nintendo's."

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Empress Brosephine posted:

I'm surprised no Playstation SNEs prototypes have leaked

I don't think there were any, or at least any known CD based games before the whole thing collapsed.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I completely forgot that SoM was going to be on CD.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Phantasium posted:

Secret of Mana is set the farthest forward in the timeline, and is after an apocalypse that happened after that world had modern technology. One of the dungeons is an old subway station, and those orbs are broadcasts from before the Mana Beast hosed poo poo up (I think one of them is a news broadcast right as it's happening?).

:psyduck: I've completely forgotten all this since the 20~ years I've played that game.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Vikar Jerome posted:

didnt realize that, i always keep thinking about warios woods on the nes but then i forget they kept making games for that thing until the mid 90s for people whos parents wouldnt buy them a snes just yet (like myself)

Wario's Woods is in fact the last NES game released in North America, on December 10th 1994.

There was a PAL exclusive Lion King game in 1995, which is also wild.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Rush 2049 had a real cool stunt arena mode.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Many Uncles died to bring us this information.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Pretty good posted:

I'm trying to think of what the longest single journey in the game might be... maybe Fire Temple to Spirit Temple? Which would probably be around ten minutes maximum even on foot the whole way.

Still less time than listening to that god damned owl twice.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Are there any remaining big known Holy Grails? OoT is huge, and the gigaleak revealed so much.

A beta of SMRPG and basically any of the Final Fantasies, especially any work that was done on FF4 NES (which is very little, as I recall) or the 2D version of FF7 on the PlayStation are something I'd love to see but those are so incredibly unlikely.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I vaguely recall one of EGM or Gamepro having a piece about the Bonds being available, either they were wrong or it was an April Fool's.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I imagine a lot of the movie and TV show games being awful were a major contributor to the overall quality. It's all E.T.'s fault.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Randalor posted:

I would disagree and say that the GBA translation of FF6 was better, but that was because it took the framework Ted Woolsey had done, but made the references a bit better fitting ("Son of a sandworm" rather than "Son of a submariner" for example).

Woolsey did the best he could with his limited time and resources. A few errors here and there not withstanding, it's a very good translation. Whoever translated the GBA version knew that, and took everything into account. I remember fan translations saying "Phantom Beasts" or whatever the literal translation is, when Esper is a perfectly great name!

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Beyond Chaos permadeath.

Absolutely 100% this. 4.1.1 just recently released, it even has a gui now!

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Going with full size sprites in battle and on the field really let the story come through in VI. Now you can have "fully" acted events in battle and on the field, instead of just text and maybe one unique animation. The entire game is coded with hope and bubblegum but they still nailed it.

The most amazing part is that they finished the game early and said "Hey what if Kefka won instead?" and made the World of Ruin.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Then you get into things like Yoshi's Island and the SuperFX2 that can take those sprites and scale/rotate/stretch them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56atjNsayMg

I really wish we had had another generation of primarily 2D graphics to really refine a lot of things.

Edit: It annoys me how many people use filters and widescreen on these kinds of games when recording video. It's fine if you want to play it like that but I'd prefer having them as close to the originals as possible when looking at things historically.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 19:09 on May 9, 2021

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbFWesseV0s

This was amazing, because it was 3D, had dual sticks, and linked cabinets.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Once, at a grocery store, I noticed the Street Fighter 2 machine either had Free Play or someone had jammed a shitload of quarters in, 8 year old me was so mad when mom finished shopping.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

https://gamehistory.org/earthbound-script-files/

This is related enough to post here. The guy who localized Earthbound found some old floppies that contained scripts and such for the game, and some people were able to recover the data.

Edit: Here's a link to Mato's article.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jun 4, 2021

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

flavor.flv posted:

When did mediocre hot takes become the default posting style? It's infecting every thread. Just this morning I've read that Metroid Prime, Disco Elysium and Jurassic Park are all idiot garbage for babies

Because you're giving them the attention they asked for.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

A controller where you can only reasonably access 2/3 of the buttons at once is dumb

Sorry, are you trying to use the left and middle prongs at the same time? That's not how the controller works. The middle prong has a button on the bottom that replaces the L button when using the stick.

Dewgy posted:

Yeah this complaint has always reeked of “tell me you’ve never used the N64 controller without telling me you never used the N64 controller”.

Ain’t no games using the d-pad and analog stick at the same time.

The WCW/WWF AKI games use the D-pad for movement and the stick for Taunting and your finisher :science:

You wouldn't be using taunts unless your opponent is down or far away and you only had to tap the stick for your finisher while already grappling someone so it was generally never a problem for anyone I played with.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

How the gently caress do you even use the one-prong ones?

They still have regular controller handles on the sides. I've never used one but I've never had a third party controller be comfortable before 8bitdo anyway.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

https://twitter.com/Dogon_McBanana/status/1497029955888189441?t=6a5X9mdGfytrq0XhWyYOug&s=19

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Capital Letdown posted:

Here’s a probably basic question - how come all these N64 demo carts are like twice as tall as a retail cart?

Extra chips/memory for dev related stuff, pretty sure.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

The implication here is that Puggsy's species mates by sticking their entire head... somewhere.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Streets of Sim City was better.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

verbal enema posted:

absolutely not

I did not open the floor for discussion :colbert:

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

https://twitter.com/new_cheats_news/status/1556727895778856960

https://twitter.com/new_cheats_news/status/1556728567328870411

https://twitter.com/new_cheats_news/status/1556729132729376770

https://twitter.com/new_cheats_news/status/1556731578113458181

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Gamepro was always 4th tier. Nintendo Power -> EGM -> Whatever random magazine was at the newsstand -> Gamepro.

The EGMs could get really thick too.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

The problem remains that Konami's only modern version is the PSP port which basically just runs on PSP emulation. Thry would have to do a whole new port and Konami and Effort don't go together.

Just hire Digital Eclipse like they did for Cowabunga Collection.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Japan got a SimCity game on the N64 too. Very jealous.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Randalor posted:

I dunno, I kind of like the chonky floppies the 64DD used. It was a good idea for releasing expansion content for games. I'm fine with the 64 using cartridges and having a save system that doesn't require memory cards.

Probably the biggest flaw of CD and DVD consoles were memory cards and dealing with storage space limitations. Cartridge games, you went into it knowing how many save spaces you had.

http://micro-64.com/database/gamesave.shtml

There were quite a lot of games that required a memory card.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

TVs Ian posted:

I mostly wonder if there was any real point to it other than games with editors. At the time it felt like having a ton of save space might do some cool stuff - I remember a possible example was of a game had a cave with destroyable crystals, it would save exactly which ones were broken, and possibly have them grow back over time.

But PCs have had pretty much all the space they could want for saved games, and it just doesn’t seem to be super necessary, except for open world games that let you leave persistent stuff in the world. And no way was the N64 supporting that in any kind of playable state. Though that does start getting close to that crystal idea, at least in function. Keeping track of a ton of random items.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-vusWL2cx4&t=239s

I never played Excitebike 64 but this was pretty neat.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I gotta say, I really miss Valve's games. Half-Life, Portal, especially Left 4 Dead, all amazing games and sequels.

My gaming group would kill for L4D3. Back 4 Blood was garbage and really deflated our hopes.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

SeANMcBAY posted:

Super 3D Noah's Ark is okay but only because it’s built onto another good game.

Did they make custom levels for it or just edit the ones from Wolfenstein?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

SeANMcBAY posted:

I didn’t realize Rare was involved somehow with Ocarina.

Apparently Nintendo would just send out dev builds to close developers to show off what they were working on and get feedback.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Coffee Jones posted:

Burger Becky brings this up in her talks on the SNES games she’d developed for Interplay. Always a squeeze to develop on smaller size roms and to use slowroms instead of fastrom at the cost of the infamously famous SNES slowdown.
But in the end - given their false starts in Warcraft Adventures and StarCraft Ghost a small scale Diablo game on GBA wouldn’t be bad. I don’t know how well the isometric gameplay would have translated to the GBA resolution.

Depends on the size of the sprites probably. No way they were getting the same kind of density as Diablo 2 (or probably even 1) but Boktai was isometric.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWppMbFWSRw