Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think pretty much Playstation hit it lucky when they figured out the basic form factor that all controllers would eventually take, although at the time they were a bit behind because the N64, as goofy as it was with its analog stick right in the middle, had it from the start so all its games could integrate it, as opposed to having it be a later peripheral that most games didn't make full use of.

All controllers now are basically the dualshock, I don't see any point in the differences of stick placement; your thumbs should be able to hit everything. If there's some kind of thousand hours slight difference thing, I don't care. Playstation added a bunch of features that are kinda neat but don't really change much and most games don't even experiment with like color-shifting LEDs, a speaker, pressure-sensitive buttons. Nintendo did a bunch of weird things before circling back, but they still have shake controls, and they actually do some neat things with the gyroscope. Xbox hasn't really experimented much, but now they do have a neat kinda bowl d-pad.

I feel like maybe more games should try experimenting with control methods, and there's probably more that can be done to develop controllers, but it seems like everything has calcified into complacency. They even all use the same technology for sticks when there's other options out there. The last game I played that did something really different was Snakepass.

There's actually some kind of lineage from this thing to the Sega Saturn controller to the Dreamcast to the xbox controller. It was way ahead of its time conceptually, but not a lot of games were made to take full advantage anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think what is largely credited for the cancellation is how in the financial crisis of 2008 Factor 5 went down and Lucasarts wasn't in good condition either. Legend says it's in a closet somewhere, but there might be some legal issues with bringing it back out, but also it doesn't seem like the sort of project that would be of interest to Disney.

We're still digging new things up from games from the 90s, but with the PS3 era most of those companies still exist and the people involved are still in the industry so they're less likely to leak.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Maybe he's bitter about Zelda outdoing Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

blatman posted:

what if its mario and mario was luigi this entire time

His name is Luigi Mario, fool.