Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Sleeveless posted:

Man, all this does is drive home how criminal it is that so much important history of this medium is kept under lock and key by a single company for purely selfish reasons. Like it's hard to think of anything comparable to the fact that a cross section of more than half of the entire history of video games as a medium was completely hidden until a few days ago, and it only drives home how bad Nintendo has been at taking advantage of preserving and releasing their own history.

what makes everyone entitled to Nintendo's cutting room floor? Nintendo is not obligated to share any of this. what on earth makes someone think this way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

i mean this might be a hot take, but i think corporations sitting on a loving dragon hoard of behind-the-scenes information and data rather than releasing it into the historical record is, actually, bad

it's Nintendo's right to attempt to hide it, but it's incredibly dickish of them, and going "oh gently caress no you don't, that's all coming out now" is a good and appropriate response

what makes you think there is any attempt to "hide" this? just dumping all of this stuff at once is interesting for internet nerds to pour over, but it's infinitely more valuable when it's curated and released with context like developer interviews. whatever brain disease that causes fandoms to think they have ownership over something rather than its creator is bizarre.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

ColdPie posted:

No, it isn't. Human culture is shared. You can't stop it. The idea that some entity can control our shared culture is bizarre attempt to undermine that fact. Throughout all of history humans shared stories and art and built on (and, yes, profited from) others' work. Copyright is a compromise where we agree to temporarily give them control of some of our culture in order for the creator to benefit from their work. It's only very recently that we decided megacorporations should be able to own our culture indefinitely. Our current effectively-infinite-length copyright term is less than fifty years old and, in my opinion, hugely detrimental to our culture. The original length of a copyright was up to 28 years.

I agree that Nintendo has no obligation to release this information, and that releasing it is probably more immoral than moral. However, don't be fooled into thinking copyright is some natural law. It's not. We made it up, and we can change it if it isn't working for us.

I demand you share all of the drafts and unsubmitted posts you've made to the forums. it belongs to our shared culture

It's fun to hate large global corporations but I don't really see this as having anything to do with copyright law or our shared culture. Everything that is made or created, whether it's a commercial product or not, is going to have scraps on the cutting room floor. Those scraps are going to be very interesting to fandoms, archivists, and curators. But the creator, whether it's Nintendo or Prince or a nobody, has the final say on what the public gets to see. And as I said before, I would rather they stay on the cutting room floor until it's ready to be released and presented with some context. It's much less likely now that Nintendo will want to talk about the stuff in this leak since it was stolen from them.

NyetscapeNavigator fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jul 28, 2020

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

The Automator posted:

I got the normal super pad for my birthday one year and man it was garbage lol

wu-tang rear end controllers

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Game has changed quite a bit since that video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K56gBwQP23M

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

heehee posted:

DarkSydePhil should voice Gex.

The idea of a mascot platformer character complaining for you when you gently caress up sounds hilarious.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

there is a thread for that.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Duke Shake-em

EDIT: what a terrible snipe

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

E:FB

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Hyper Advanced Nintendo Data Transfer System (HANDS)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7L2bOVHf_9Y&t=261s

Former Hudson employee going through old dev ROMs he saved.