Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

A short time before an intellectual property's entry in the public domain would be a good thing. But as applied to video games, that would mean you could make and release your own ports and sequels yourself.

You can re-publish Frankenstein yourself. You can make your own movie/song/book/game about Frankenstein yourself. You can make a book called "Frankenstein 2: This time the monster is called Frankenstein". You have every right to do this. You do not have any rights to Mary Shelley's garbage to look for discarded ideas. Those were not published works.

That said, I'm very much enjoying these leaks, even though I know I don't have any claim to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Sleeveless posted:

People being so performatively mad about their hatred of what they imagine fandoms to be that they go full Libertarian about property rights to spite said imaginary fandom is especially asinine when you consider that backlash from nerds is one of the big reason modern game developers are hesitant to allow people to see unfinished or cancelled games. Like when Volition finally let their developers reveal and stream the cancelled PSP Saint's Row game they pre-empted it with a 10+ minute video about how it was such a struggle because they were worried about giving more ammo to the turbonerds online who are still harping on glitches in Saints Rows games a decade after the fact.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2_-3xb7FNc&t=3794s

If you really want to stick it to the imaginary nerds living rent-free in your head then you should normalize and encourage this kind of thing so they don't get to use it as ammo.

counterpoint: turbonerds should be spited, not appeased

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I remember opening star fox 64 on christmas day and, being a complete moron, was like "idgi we don't have an n64" while leaning against an n64-sized wrapped present.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Same. All I want is the pokemon picross.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Pretty good posted:

you just need to be willing to spend a few minutes digging around on horrible imageboards populated by idiot racists rolling around in their own poo poo

I am not willing to do that

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Did nothing come of the IRIS SDK?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I think the fear is that hiring hackers runs the risk of them leaking tools to the scene or putting in backdoors and tipping the scene off to them.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I remember the teachers started making us clear the program memory in front of them before tests... then someone made and distributed a program that looked and behaved like that menu, but (of course) didn't clear the memory.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

All Gameboys except the pocket, the gba sp, and the Gameboy micro are AA. SP and Micro are built-in rechargeable, the pocket is AAA. The Gameboy Light, essentially a pocket with a timex indiglo style backlight, takes AAs.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Djarum posted:

Roller Rinks basically are non-existent and the bowling alleys that are around are so clean, new and modern that you have zero nostalgia going. Unless you really like bowling it isn't that much fun.

I feel pretty lucky in that I have a roller rink and a bowling alley next to each other and really close to me. I haven't actually been to the roller rink, but we used to (pre-covid) bowl every week. The alley has has been around forever, has been well cared for, but not completely gutted and redone. It feels like a bowling alley should, complete with restaurant/lounge, fried food, and a few arcade games. Can't wait to go back.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Ballz posted:

Announcing a whole lot of roms for people to download and then never play.

https://twitter.com/hiddenpalaceorg/status/1477399683853164545?s=21

I've noticed something weird here, and I'm kind of marveling at how my life has unfolded in a way that would allow me to notice this.

I scanned through the list and the only thing that caught my eye was the TV Sports Baseball proto. Reason: My grandfather was a manager at a now defunct electronics store and bought us all turbografxes when they went on clearance. I still have mine, of course. Among the games we got were TV Sports Hockey and TV Sports Basketball. The games aren't great, but I loved the title screen music, especially for Basketball. I was eager to listen to the Baseball title screen music. It's fine.

Separately, my aunt and uncle, who would watch my brothers and I frequently, had an SNES (we were a Genesis house), and among the games they had was Cal Ripken Jr. Baseball.
Now, baseball's baseball, and there are bound to be some similarities, but TV Sports Baseball is clearly what would become Cal Ripken Jr. Baseball.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Coffee Jones posted:

:imunfunny: :hf: :v:
if this logo was on a commercial game it'd be like the most jank thing ever, none of the eastern european produced GBA titles had this vibe.

It's Sunday morning I'm looking at racing games for the Atari Jaguar, as one does.

Checkered Flag
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3cXPrKIZAg
drive club, which ... it's good that that it's more realistic and doesn't move as fast... jaguar being the jaguar.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_PGqVbCvU4

I had so much fun with club drive and I was shocked to find it on many "worst games of all time" lists.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Maybe he's hoping a group of archivists will rob him.

"oh no... I'm being robbed... definitely don't go into the office and look in the gray filing cabinet, third drawer, all the way in the back"

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

That goodwill owns and the parking lot is always full.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Wapeach just needs to be goth peach. That’s it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I had glover when I had like 3 n64 games, so I played a lot of glover

hep, HOP