Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS
Does anyone have any experience with mixing and matching dyno light brands for front and rear lights? I'm interested in running a Klite Bikepacker V2 with a Supernova E3 tail light. What do I need to check to see if the power coming off the hub or front light is compatible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

Nyyen posted:

Does anyone have any experience with mixing and matching dyno light brands for front and rear lights? I'm interested in running a Klite Bikepacker V2 with a Supernova E3 tail light. What do I need to check to see if the power coming off the hub or front light is compatible?

Supernova lights specifically won't work with other brands. All the well-known euro ones are inter-compatible tho.

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS

SimonSays posted:

Supernova lights specifically won't work with other brands. All the well-known euro ones are inter-compatible tho.

Ok, thanks for the heads up.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Nyyen posted:

Ok, thanks for the heads up.

For others'reference:

Can I use a Supernova Tail Light with third-party front lights?

No, because of the different voltages. Our tail light requires 6V direct current. The competitors often work with alternating current

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

That K-Lite is really weird. It's hard to find this information anywhere and their website sucks, but it looks like it can use standard rear dynamo lights, meaning the Supernova is right out.

B+M make the Secula and the Mu, one of those should fit with what the Supernova does.

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS

SimonSays posted:

That K-Lite is really weird. It's hard to find this information anywhere and their website sucks, but it looks like it can use standard rear dynamo lights, meaning the Supernova is right out.

B+M make the Secula and the Mu, one of those should fit with what the Supernova does.

Yeah, I sent them an email to clarify the power output but I was leaning towards the Mu as a backup anyway.

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS
Does anyone have a good resource to explain how different mounts of trail/headtube angle/front bag weight interact?

Edit: More context. I'm wondering how running a handlebar bag on a long trail bike like the 88mm and 69 degrees of the Salsa Fargo will play out. My current Soma Wolverine with a 10l xpac rando bag and nitto rack is at 62mm and 72 degrees and it feels a bit nervous and I can't ride no handed at all even with the bag empty. I was hoping that my next bike would allow for no handed or at least stable handling with a bag on the front.

Nyyen fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Aug 3, 2022

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

It gets a little complicated, for any given head tube angle trail makes steering more stable, but a slack angle can make it feel stable and floppy at the same time.

Maybe stability isn't the best description when talking about a bike with weight on the front. Maybe 'heavier' steering might feel like it makes more sense.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Route for our tour starting end of the week

Starting packing (of everything that's not the bike, which is already at the start at jamal's bike shop.

After last tour, I ordered some Dyna-Snap magnet connectors to be able to swap between headlight and charging USB. I soldered up the headlight but never did the charging junction lead until last minute.

Decided to bring it as a backup to solar panel, which doesn't seem to do much when it's even slightly overcast.
Hard to make out in the pic, but the dialed max output is 1.4A, which is only 60% of the panel's at full blast. And I'm not sure if it can hit 1.4 at 5V.

Doing the usual wretched things like shortening a kid's toothbrush:

And ripping off the padded handle of my carry-on duffel bag.

But then dragging on poo poo like this FLIR gadget

("so you can tell if you completely extinguished the camp fire!" I rationalize)

Friend is taking a clown horn to hail fellow bike tourists

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

Crossposting from my tour AAR posted over in the big general bike thread - hope that's okay!

Objurium posted:

*big tour post sorry in advance*

Buddy and I did a slightly different version of our coast tour from last year, this time taking a train up from LA to SLO before riding through Big Sur up to Aptos, then bombing back down. ~550mi in 6 days or so all told.

I didn't train for this ride like the one I did last year, and truthfully my volume has been in the shitter for the past few months as I get into running and climbing, so I was a bit nervous about being able to keep up, but after a few days you kind of slip into that groove where you feel invincible.

I didn't bring a full sleep system in the name of trying to save weight, and predictably it created issues. I figured I could get away with shorts and a woobie at night, but alas when that mist sops into your poo poo at night along the coast, it gets cold fast.
We had a final supply stop in Cambria - a place who's combination of apothecaries and punisher skull pickups kind of make it feel like the last redoubt of conservative wiccan PTA mom thought.

The coast was as beautiful as ever - with mottled greys, rust and jade tones all fighting for dominance over the lazy, diffused sun. The area is nothing if not dreamlike, and lends itself well to the sort of voyage within that usually presents itself on bike tours as the hours and miles march on. We stopped at a favorite nameless blackstone beach and found a huge piece of abalone, a vertebrae from what I'm assuming is some kind of sea mammal, and a washed up DJI Mavic drone that had clearly drowned and been in the ocean for quite some time. We extracted it's corroded SD card because it felt dangerous.

The ride up through Big Sur flew by with relatively few stops, covering the 197mi from San Louis Abispo to Aptos in 2 days. We were treated to one of the most beautiful sunsets I've ever seen in the agricultural corridor between Monterey and Santa Cruz - watercolors spilling out of the sun bathing the endless crop fields in a surreal glow.

I pushed myself probably harder than I ever have on a bicycle before over the last 20 miles to get to a pizzeria before they closed, judiciously destroying an entire pie on my own like a true gluttonous dirtbag.

Day 3 had us mostly running errands on the way back from Aptos to Monterey, staging us for the next two days back down the coat through Big Sur, with our notable stop being perhaps the most overwhelmingly Central-Californian surplus store possible.

We eventually settled on nabbing a hiker biker spot in Veteran's Memorial Park in Monterey, where our sleep was interrupted by a tweaker couple having an argument in the campground next to us that was largely unintelligible outside of when the woman gruffly raised her voice and said "well the only reason I'm even here is because I fell off them steps, you know that!", a phrase who's true meaning shall haunt me til the end of my days. The fog rolled in thick at night but I was still able to get some fun night timelapses going.

https://i.imgur.com/GgcAK6h.mp4

We dropped down through 17mi drive, which is slightly out of the way but adds a beautiful (if soggy) coastal run to the morning that ultimately gets you to Carmel. It seems like a shame that some rear end in a top hat saw this incredible stretch of coastline and then was allowed to build a golf course over most of it.

Our next big deviation off Hwy 1 would be taking Coast Road where it intersects at Bixby Bridge, which proved to be a tour highlight. It's a good amount of climbing on reasonable condition dirt that winds its way through some absolutely gorgeous old-growth red woods and Bay Trees, and it offered a welcome reprieve to the long boring stretch of the 1 where its open and flat between Carmel and Andrew Molerra. Excellent atmosphere for goblin-ing.

Our climb ultimately spat us out at a vista at the apex of the valley as clouds from the coast rolled straight up the draw. The descent got a little sketchy in places, with a few rock gardens making for a more technical descent than I'm used to, but it wasn't anything unmanageable, and we ultimately reconnected with the 1 about 30 miles above Kirk Creek - our target for the night.

Refuled after a food stop in Gorda, we raced along the 1's cliffsides to get to camp before the sun sank into the sea.

https://i.imgur.com/HzjCuMZ.mp4

We stupidly didn't lock our food that night, and racoons raided our poo poo - thankfully only really destroying our supply of tortillas and not causing any actual damage to our framebags, but it meant that we were without food for our planned morning climb up Ferguson Nacimiento, right across the street from Kirk Creek. Another pretty steep climb over ~7 miles with lots of debris that's probably super fun descending if you're comfortable smashing out down dangerous routes, but I kept it relatively chill in the name of safety after eating poo poo hard at the beginning of the year. Still some pretty views even if the fog bank blocked what's supposed to be sightlines of the coast on the descent.

Necrobike looking ratchet as gently caress:

We shot down to Moro Bay for another very wet evening, and had another long boring day across more open agricultural land between MB and Gaviota beach the following day, staging us for a final 30mi run to Santa Barbara and the train home on day 6.

What struck me the most about the entire journey was how much "bigger" the meditative state of touring feels after beginning to cultivate an actual mindfulness meditation practice since my first tour this time last year. It feels very tangibly like the ability to accept suffering in the saddle on very long days is a gateway to an orientation of consciousness that feels expansive, and I get a lot of really good thinking done in that space. It's nice to see the fruits of the gardens we cultivate, or whatever, and I'd love to talk to anyone that's in a similar position. Some real neat stuff happens there.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Thinking about how to write up our 9-day tour. Probably grouping into Montana, Yellowstone, and Grand Tetons makes the most sense.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Go for it, I'm hoping to add links to a couple peoples' tours in the second post so people who are new can see some first hand touring experiences.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Background for tour 4:

3 friends from HS that have coalesced into a decently oiled machine for bike touring.
Prior experience:
~23 days doing the PCH from Seattle to SF
~22 days doing Great Parks North from Jasper (in Alberta) to Missoula
~8 days in Utah, St. George to Zion to Bryce and back

I think we'd been in the neighborhood of 40-60mi/day on these tours.

In 2018, we'd started talking seriously about the next tour, and raised the possibility of Taiwan. Over 2019, we started taking this option more seriously.
One of the team's in-laws could house us in Taipei; I speak Mandarin; the infrastructure is decent -- there were some real pros.
By end of the year, I'd gotten as far as working out the bike rental shop and rental costs for a tour to circumnavigate the island...
and then the pandemic hit. Maybe we shoulda gone in summer of 2021 when infection cases were lower than this summer, but we finally decided to go for it after so much downtime.

This tour was to be from Missoula again down to Jackson, WY, fitting into 2 weekends and one week, similar to the Utah tour.
Was pretty aggressively paced to give us an extra rest day in Yellowstone, with a lot of front loading.

Planning for this tour, I think we were broadly confident about 2 things:
- having the bike - eat - camp routine down, like how to live out of some panniers for days on the road
- being able to put up the mileage or get fit on the road

On that latter front, I had done the Boston Midnight Marathon ride back in April, 52mi with no prior prep other than daily daycare pickup/dropoff, 7mi total on the cargo bike.
I was pretty sore but didn't feel too out of sorts after, so didn't do any more preparatory riding other than a couple of 30min spin bike sessions in front of Netflix. The cargo bike with toddler already weighs more than my touring bike, I'd keep saying to myself.

Gear choices:
Last tour in Utah, I had a frame bag, saddlebag, and 2 panniers, with bottle cages on the fork. I decided that that custom fork was kinda harsh, so I went back to the stock Specialized AWOL fork, which doesn't have bottle mounts. Hence the bar-mounted bottle cage.

One friend decided to go to a bikepacking setup on his carbon Diverge gravel bike -- frame pack, saddle back, and then a front rack for 2 panniers. 34x34 min gear, which we made a big deal over. And kept to the ever controversial Camelbak for water. Upgraded to an even fancier Zpacks ultralight tent and quilt bag.

And other friend stuck to the same bike and setup he'd had since first tour. He carried his 2p tent, and I carried the tarp.

Forecast seemed to dip into the high 30sF, so we made sure our sleeping bags could handle it.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

This guy makes good bags by himself and is having a sale. The black feed bag is deeply discounted to $19.99 for some reason!

I have some if his blems and they have held up great.

https://www.nukesunrise.com/store/p46/SILO2.html

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Snagged one thanks!

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
I got suckered by the swift sale on last year's stock. That zeitgeist was calling my name...

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

The company behind my current GPS unit has gone bust and I can't buy maps for it anymore, and as far as i can tell no one has cracked it. I really can't find the perfect replacement and it's kinda annoying me - just something with a big screen, simple and with buttons. Any suggestions? I'm considering just picking up a used Garmin Edge 530 for £130-150 but the screen looks a bit small and i like having the display up as i'm mainly off-road and navigating paths which aren't very clear at times.

I've considered the Etrex but everyone says the bicycle mounts are utter garbage for mountain biking.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret
You can often find a Garmin Edge 1030 used for about 200 bucks if a large screen is really important.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005
I'm really happy with the Garmin Edge Explore 2 I just got for Christmas. not as many fine-grained training stats/features as the Edge 1030 or 1040, but it has great gps/battery life/display/interface. I always have it set to display the map when I'm riding.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I'm just a bit worried about how rain would effect the touchscreen. Locking the screen is ok but if you need to fiddle with the map it's nice having buttons to pan which was why i was leaning towards the 530.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005
I haven't used it in rainy weather yet, but I did find this video about the Edge Explore 1 in wet conditions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LJvZ71mgS0

Edge Explore 2 is IPX7 waterproof

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019
I spent most of January riding 1800 km from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh City with my 75 year old father. It was hotel/credit card touring with minimal packs. We bought a couple of city bikes in Hanoi and sold them in Ho Chi Minh City. Old man did great.

I'm trash garbage that can't proper photography but

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
What are you talking about? These pics are great. Looks like an awesome tour.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

rngd in the womb posted:

What are you talking about? These pics are great. Looks like an awesome tour.

It was. We did spend a lot of time on the main roads to cover more distance which isn't that interesting especially given Vietnamese culture of constantly honking at anything on the road. If I had to do it again I would do the whole thing on the smaller country roads which are amazing.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Looks great. Did you guys know the language or just got through with a couple of phrases?

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Owling Howl posted:

I spent most of January riding 1800 km from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh City with my 75 year old father. It was hotel/credit card touring with minimal packs. We bought a couple of city bikes in Hanoi and sold them in Ho Chi Minh City. Old man did great.

I'm trash garbage that can't proper photography but

This is beautiful in more than a few ways. Congrats to you and papa owling

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

hemale in pain posted:

Looks great. Did you guys know the language or just got through with a couple of phrases?

No. We got by with miming techniques and occasionally translate apps. Outside the tourist areas in the largest cities practically no one speaks English but are generally excited to talk and help and with that most things are doable.

One amusing thing was this guy we met going through some rural hills

Very excited and impossible to communicate with but insisted we have a drink. We thought it was tea but it turned out to be some kind of whiskey - possibly brewed in a bathtub somewhere.

A few days later it had been raining all day and we were caked in mud so we stopped at a mechanics shop and mimed permissions to use a hose to clean up a bit before we got to the hotel. Very excited lady started calling around and the whole community converged on us. Someone brought a gallon jug of... something. Then someone pulled out a makeshift bong and we politely departed.

We couldn't talk with any of them but when people are that enthusiastic you can make it work.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Spectacular.

Owling Howl posted:

Hell yeah

I'm happy to report that I'm currently hosting my first guests through WarmShowers, it's great, highly recommend.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Bucky Fullminster posted:

I'm happy to report that I'm currently hosting my first guests through WarmShowers, it's great, highly recommend.

Can I reasonably do this if I only have an open apartment and a spare sofa?

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

SimonSays posted:

Probably? Just explain the situation in your profile, as long as you have somewhere for the bike and your sofa doesn't suck too hard to sleep on, people are grateful for a place to crash and have a shower or whatever.

But like I said, this is literally my first experience, so I dunno. It's a german couple who pitched a tent in the backyard.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I've only hosted one person. The most important part was offering him dinner with us, and he loving pounded his plate and got a full second serving.

I'm in Boston, so I assume there's a lot of better hosting setups, cuz that one hit was one of 2 requests since before the pandemic started.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

People are very understanding that they are getting a free place to crash, and as long as you are clear about what you're offering ahead of time it's all good.

One thing to be thoughtful about is leaving time for travelers to relax and journal, so sometimes just offering a quiet place to get cleaned up and crash is just as appreciated as doing a ton of work to feed and entertain a guest.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

SimonSays posted:

Yes. I've stayed with a fair number of people (7 year trip) and happy with whatever. Just be honest with what you've got. I've stayed with people who had some spare floor space and I put my may out and that works too!

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Ok, thanks folks! I've wanted to do this for ages, time to go for it and help some members of the community out.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

From the Huracan 300. I also shot a video I'll have up shortly.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Bottom Liner posted:

Jesus these are good photos. Thank you for sharing!

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Bottom Liner posted:

I just read about this the other day and as a 4th generation Floridaman I think that I have to do this one day. The fording gator and snake infested waters unnerves me a bit but otherwise it looks like an awesome ride.

PosSibley
Jan 11, 2008

21rst Century Digital Boy
Cross posting from the megathread, but I'm looking at biking from Orange County, CA to San Diego. I hear Torrey Pines is the killer part, and that Pendleton is mixed business?

The trains have been weird recently. Anyone have good advice or insight?

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

PosSibley posted:

Cross posting from the megathread, but I'm looking at biking from Orange County, CA to San Diego. I hear Torrey Pines is the killer part, and that Pendleton is mixed business?

The trains have been weird recently. Anyone have good advice or insight?

Yeah.

1. You need a pass to bike thru Camp Pendleton and they aren't issuing passes because the visitor's center just north of Oceanside is closed.

2. So you'll be on I5 from the Las Pulgas exit to the first exit in Oceanside.

3. From Dana Point to Las Pulgas the marked bike route is pretty excellent. Paths and residential roads.

4. Torrey Pines isn't a difficult climb, I actually prefer the steeper one in the park itself. I'm old and 100 kilos and I'm on a recumbent, so you should be ok.

5. Laguna is a difficult bike ride. No bike lane and impatient drivers. Control the lane and use your mirror.

6. After you climb Torrey head to the Rose Canyon bike path. It's nice.

7. There's no train from San Clemente to Oceanside because the Ocean messed up the tracks. It's an Amtrak bus from Irvine to Oceanside. I did this last weekend with my Brompton because I was judging games at WonderCom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PosSibley
Jan 11, 2008

21rst Century Digital Boy

VideoGameVet posted:

Yeah.

7. There's no train from San Clemente to Oceanside because the Ocean messed up the tracks. It's an Amtrak bus from Irvine to Oceanside. I did this last weekend with my Brompton because I was judging games at WonderCom.

Thanks for the info. I feel like the trains have been messed up since Sept.

My favorite part of Wondercon is the Masquerade ball. Didn't go this year, I've been at the Grand Canyon.