Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Question regarding bikepacking bag sizing:

Going for a full Apidura Expedition set and not sure on the saddlebag and bar bag sizes. Saddlebag available in 9, 14, and 17L, and bar bag in 9 and 14L. I'll have a 1L top tube bag and the 5.3L frame bag too.

Looking to do trips from overnight to possibly a full week. Wouldn't be in the middle of nowhere so would have access to resupply/etc. Probably would use hammock gear for shelter vs tent. I'm definitely planning to get all my gear out and shove into known size stuff sacks, but curious if anyone has general opinion on sizing and/or this specific range of bags.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

amenenema posted:

Question regarding bikepacking bag sizing:

Going for a full Apidura Expedition set and not sure on the saddlebag and bar bag sizes. Saddlebag available in 9, 14, and 17L, and bar bag in 9 and 14L. I'll have a 1L top tube bag and the 5.3L frame bag too.

Looking to do trips from overnight to possibly a full week. Wouldn't be in the middle of nowhere so would have access to resupply/etc. Probably would use hammock gear for shelter vs tent. I'm definitely planning to get all my gear out and shove into known size stuff sacks, but curious if anyone has general opinion on sizing and/or this specific range of bags.

Thanks!

I use the 14L Revelate Terrapin seat bag and I'm almost exclusively a hammock camper. My general circumstances are relatively the same as yours (most rides I'd be interested in doing would have at least one resupply option per day) and I generally use my seat bag for lighter, more packable items such as my hammock's underquilt/top quilt, etc. It's best to pack heavier items closer to your seatpost to minimize sag and sway so keep that in mind too. On my handlebars I run the Revelate Harness with a Saltyroll (15L capacity) which has been fine for my clothes, hammock topquilt, etc. My frame bag is a custom one from Rogue Panda so I'm not sure what the exact capacity in liters is, but it's enough to accomodate a 3L hydration bladder in one pocket, pump/tube/tools in the other, and my cook kit (stove, fuel, mug, cutting board and knife) ride below.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

In my opinion get the biggest bags. The weight difference will be relatively minor, we're talking 200-300g difference for all of them combined, and it's super nice having too much room cause it sucks trying to cram stuff in to small spaces with cold hands in the dark.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Are there any preparation/training guides for very long haul self supported bike tours? One of my medium to long term goals is to ride the Tour Divide but I’d like to ride it successfully rather than just attempt it.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

aldantefax posted:

just attempt it.
Just attempt it is what a lot of people do for long bike tours. Some people have problems and bail. Some people have problems and figure them out on the road.

I'm not familiar with the great divide route, but if the route has you going through a town every day for the first week or so that can be a great learning experience. I think it is important to figure out a bailout plan ahead of time if you are having a bad time*.

Bad time includes but is not limited to:
-Bike breakdown
-Body breakdown
-Mental breakdown
-The entire western US being on fire.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

aldantefax posted:

Are there any preparation/training guides for very long haul self supported bike tours? One of my medium to long term goals is to ride the Tour Divide but I’d like to ride it successfully rather than just attempt it.

It's the most and best documented ride of that type in the world, with GPS routes and written guides down to the mile for water, food, camping, and other things you need. Prep wise just ride a ton of bikepacking stuff to get comfortable with your gear, that much saddle time, elevation, etc. If you're doing it solo, get comfortable with the idea of grizzly safety, as people do die out there even camping in towns. Two of my friends have ridden it and I was prepping for it precovid so feel free to ask any specifics.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
What's the deal with the trek 520 - says the model is archived on their website.

New model next year? Discontinued?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Probably just cleared out until the next production run.

E: looks like the latest 520 combines the worst of both quick release and thru axle on the fork. It is a QR wheel, but you have to completely remove the skewer to take the wheel off.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Apr 13, 2023

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

CopperHound posted:

E: looks like the latest 520 combines the worst of both quick release and thru axle on the fork. It is a QR wheel, but you have to completely remove the skewer to take the wheel off.

Ah, the sound of happy corporate lawyers is so much sweeter than having a useful bike.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?

CopperHound posted:

Haha I didn't even notice that.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
There's honestly no way Trek discontinues the 520, I think. They kept making that poo poo in the 00s when they sold like 12 of time a year. Seriously, they did one production run a year (in wisconsin) so if your order didn't get in, you'd wait a year. Things I learned when I broke a 520 and had to wait almost a whole year for the new frame.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
After a month or so I think I'm going to buy a Bombtrack Arise Tour to replace my 10 year old Bikesdirect Windsor tourist.

I'll only really ever commute on it but did go on a couple of 3-5day tours before I had kids and I keep thinking I'll go again someday.

good idea, great idea? I was looking at all the classic tourers and the bombtrack seemed to tick a lot of boxes out of the gate (bar end shifters, racks, dynamo, fenders).

https://www.bombtrack.com/complete-bikes/arise-tour
https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/windsor/tourist-touring-bikes-v.htm

Surprisingly the REI Adv 1.1 seems good? The hydraulic disc brakes maybe seem appealing?

https://www.rei.com/product/220761/co-op-cycles-adv-11-bike

The Sutra was a contender but it looks like the latest model went back to brifters / front rack only.

edit: don't really wanna get a bike built up from the frame unless it makes a lot of sense to do so. Not too worried about cost (but still cognizant of it)

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Mr Newsman posted:

After a month or so I think I'm going to buy a Bombtrack Arise Tour to replace my 10 year old Bikesdirect Windsor tourist.

I'll only really ever commute on it but did go on a couple of 3-5day tours before I had kids and I keep thinking I'll go again someday.

good idea, great idea? I was looking at all the classic tourers and the bombtrack seemed to tick a lot of boxes out of the gate (bar end shifters, racks, dynamo, fenders).
I don't think there's anything wrong with only using a touring bike for commuting. It's heavier duty but will do the job well.

quote:

Surprisingly the REI Adv 1.1 seems good? The hydraulic disc brakes maybe seem appealing?

https://www.rei.com/product/220761/co-op-cycles-adv-11-bike

I assume you've ridden them? Hydros are nice for braking power. Would welcome for commuting.
Having experienced some that have a defect that leads to slow leaking, I would only take a hydro bike on tour if the calipers didn't have any reported problems like that on their track record.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

How are HY/RD brakes for touring? Is it less work than regular hydro brakes to service them in the field? I'm guessing you want to be careful with not getting mineral oil/brake fluid on the rotors and pads, so you need to have a somewhat clean and organized workspace if you end up having to do a bleed. I know lots of people recommend mechanical over hydraulic on unsupported tours, but I've never actually serviced hydraulic brakes before so I don't know how overblown the risk is.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
My mountain bike has hydros (but not the cable / hydro hybrid).

I figured they'd be like mechanical discs but slightly better due to the self adjusting pad mechanism. Or it could be the worst of both worlds. I haven't ridden the REI bike for what it's worth so not sure what the HY/RD feel like. No idea what the maintenance is like or how often you need to deal with the hydraulics.

The mechanical discs I've had have all been fine for the most part. Sometimes they're fiddly to adjust but that's probably more because I didn't know what I was doing at the time.

Any comments or concerns around bombtrack?

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Mr Newsman posted:

The Sutra was a contender but it looks like the latest model went back to brifters / front rack only.

It’s like 10 minutes to install a rear rack though…?

You really want bar end shifters over brifters? Why?

Coxswain Balls posted:

How are HY/RD brakes for touring? Is it less work than regular hydro brakes to service them in the field?

Remove the wheels and pads before doing anything bleeding wise, 100% safe.

Unless your tour lasts more than a year in areas without bike servicing places you most likely won’t need to touch anything other than replacing pads and cleaning rotors occasionally.

Knowing the basics like removing bubbles by holding the bike so the hoses run vertically to the levers and tapping them while pumping the brakes gets you a long way in cases of spongeyness.

I just saw a small portable bleed funnel / fluid bottle for on the road use the other day.

That’d be fine https://www.neutroncomponents.com/emergency-bleed-kit for a basic top up/ bleed.

Depends how remote the place you are touring in and how gnarly the terrain is (ripping off a hose or something), you can carry a lot of brake cables far more easily.

Re the bombtrack; not sure how much that is but the REI bike has a far better spec. Shimano Deore everything drivetrain wise is reassuring.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Coxswain Balls posted:

How are HY/RD brakes for touring? Is it less work than regular hydro brakes to service them in the field? I'm guessing you want to be careful with not getting mineral oil/brake fluid on the rotors and pads, so you need to have a somewhat clean and organized workspace if you end up having to do a bleed. I know lots of people recommend mechanical over hydraulic on unsupported tours, but I've never actually serviced hydraulic brakes before so I don't know how overblown the risk is.

It's about the same amount of work to service them, which is to say, not much.

I wouldn't have any concern about touring with hydraulic brakes, HY/RDs included, unless I were going somewhere truly remote (no bike shops anywhere at all), month+ stuff in Africa or the outback.
If that's on the docket, I'd be inclined to prefer a mechanical because it's easier to carry everything you need to field service. Anything else, hydraulic brakes own.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
What is a bleed for a self contained unit like the Hyrd?

I’ve run them on tour for 2k miles and have only replaced pads. I even do the irresponsible thing of running the arm a little choked up on the cable. I’m not sure there’s a need to service if they’re not leaking and operating fine. I guess there’s some rubber that could dry and crack at some point?

bicievino posted:

I'd be inclined to prefer a mechanical because it's easier to carry everything you need to field service. Anything else, hydraulic brakes own.
I carried a bb7 as a spare on tour.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

I’ve run them on tour for 2k miles and have only replaced pads. I even do the irresponsible thing of running the arm a little choked up on the cable. I’m not sure there’s a need to service if they’re not leaking and operating fine. I guess there’s some rubber that could dry and crack at some point?

In principle you don't bleed them, the cylinder is pretty much self contained. You could if you really wanted to I guess.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?

wooger posted:

It’s like 10 minutes to install a rear rack though…?
You really want bar end shifters over brifters? Why?

Re the bombtrack; not sure how much that is but the REI bike has a far better spec. Shimano Deore everything drivetrain wise is reassuring.

Bar ends is like 70% aesthetics, 20% because I want some spice in my life, and 10% because I liked using them the few times I've ridden bikes with em.

Bombtrack is 2500 - largely due to the dynamo setup over the REI bike. It is about 500 bucks more than the comparable Surly / Salsa / Kona offerings. +/-

Appreciate the insight. I'm really just deciding if a dynamo setup would be something I'm interested in I guess.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

kimbo305 posted:

Bleed process is very similar to a normal hydraulic brake.

https://www.trpbrakes.com/userfiles/HYRD_Final_053113.pdf

Personally I've never needed to bleed mine, even with numerous airline flights where you'd think pressure or whatever could muck it up.
But if you did need to - it uses TRP mineral oil not shimano mineral oil and its not clear whether they are interchangeable because mineral oil isn't standardized like DOT.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Mr Newsman posted:

Bar ends is like 70% aesthetics, 20% because I want some spice in my life, and 10% because I liked using them the few times I've ridden bikes with em.

Bombtrack is 2500 - largely due to the dynamo setup over the REI bike. It is about 500 bucks more than the comparable Surly / Salsa / Kona offerings. +/-

Appreciate the insight. I'm really just deciding if a dynamo setup would be something I'm interested in I guess.

A dynamo light is the single best thing I've ever bought for my commuter. Removing the stress of "oh dang it did I remember to charge my light last night poo poo poo poo" is just so so nice. I didn't realize the stress was there until it was gone.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Mr Newsman posted:

I ran Bar Ends on my road bikes starting in the 1970's:

Then on recumbents with "under seat" steering in the 1990's and 2000's:

And on trikes:

But in the new CF 'bent. a single microshifter, bar ends would hit my legs when steering:

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

bicievino posted:

A dynamo light is the single best thing I've ever bought for my commuter. Removing the stress of "oh dang it did I remember to charge my light last night poo poo poo poo" is just so so nice. I didn't realize the stress was there until it was gone.

I regret (greatly) not ordering my Brompton with this.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Mr Newsman posted:

A dynamo wheel is like £300 where I am, you can add one to any reasonable bike and have your pick of dynamo lights. Otherwise that bike is basic steel and the drivetrain seems really cheap, they might be taking the piss with that price.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Mr Newsman posted:

A dynamo light set up is my favorite quality of life improvement for a bike. Great for commuting, but in practice I never ride at night on tour. I want to have my sleeping place sorted before the sun goes down.

Tunnels are a thing though, so my lights still get use on tour.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
While I've never toured persay dynamo lights are also great for the daytime running lights for safety.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

One type of touring that benefits greatly from dynamo lighting is the weekender or s24o, you can ride out at night and ride back in at night, maximizing your time at destination.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Hey folks, I hope this is ok but I put my 2019 Surly Disc Trucker up for sale:

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/3641162/

I've only put a couple day trips on it and loved it but I have to make room in my garage.

Any Canadian goons who are interested hit me up with a PM.

SOLD!

Well that was quick!

Rot fucked around with this message at 03:48 on May 31, 2023

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

CopperHound posted:

A dynamo light set up is my favorite quality of life improvement for a bike. Great for commuting, but in practice I never ride at night on tour. I want to have my sleeping place sorted before the sun goes down.

Tunnels are a thing though, so my lights still get use on tour.

When I had one, I used it to keep my phone charged up (which I was using on brevets), as well as powering the lights.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
Hi all, I'm getting my wife a bike for her birthday. She currently has some bad Amazon folding bike but it's not great and she has to work way harder to keep up with me when we go on rides.

I want to get her her first "nice" bike. Currently debating between the Surly Preamble and the Kona Dew Plus, since they are both sold at the local bike shop here:

Surly:
https://www.peddlerbike.com/product/surly-preamble-flat-bar-421525-1.htm
Kona:
https://www.peddlerbike.com/product/kona-dew-plus-318878-1.htm

Both look pretty decent to me, I noticed the Kona has hydraulic disc breaks and is cheaper than the Surly, does that make it a better value? Anything I'm missing?

knifehitz
Apr 22, 2005

ys rly

Biodome posted:

Hi all, I'm getting my wife a bike for her birthday. She currently has some bad Amazon folding bike but it's not great and she has to work way harder to keep up with me when we go on rides.

I want to get her her first "nice" bike. Currently debating between the Surly Preamble and the Kona Dew Plus, since they are both sold at the local bike shop here:

Surly:
https://www.peddlerbike.com/product/surly-preamble-flat-bar-421525-1.htm
Kona:
https://www.peddlerbike.com/product/kona-dew-plus-318878-1.htm

Both look pretty decent to me, I noticed the Kona has hydraulic disc breaks and is cheaper than the Surly, does that make it a better value? Anything I'm missing?

I’m not an expert in these matters, but Surly is known for their durability. Kona is also well regarded but not quite the “bomb proof” prestige (or price tag). Big difference I think would be the Surly is steel frame vs aluminum with the Kona, so a bit different feel & weight. It looks like the Kona has hydraulic disc brakes vs mechanical on the Surly, I believe hydraulic is mostly considered preferable but I have no experience with either.

I think either one would be a very solid choice though so you probably won’t go wrong.

You might be able to get more info over in the bike commuting thread, if it’s for more of a daily driver thing.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

I would definitely go with a Kona over a Surly at equal pricepoint. Surly's tend to carry a price premium for reasons I don't understand.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
Makes sense. I went with the Kona Dew Plus, thanks yall!

SplitDestiny
Sep 25, 2004
I did a thing.

Completed all 2700 miles of the Tour Divide in ~22 days through some pretty gnarly peanut butter mud, head winds, heat, and storms. Proud to have completed on my first attempt!

PosSibley
Jan 11, 2008

21rst Century Digital Boy

SplitDestiny posted:

I did a thing.

Completed all 2700 miles of the Tour Divide in ~22 days through some pretty gnarly peanut butter mud, head winds, heat, and storms. Proud to have completed on my first attempt!

:hmmyes:
:cheersdoge:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
:hellyeah:

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

SplitDestiny posted:

I did a thing.

:krad:

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

SplitDestiny posted:

I did a thing.

Congratulations on your achievement, that’s quite the accomplishment! I’d love to do that someday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

SplitDestiny posted:

I did a thing.

Oh man that is so awesome, congrats! The GDMBR (not the Tour Divide race) is on my bucket list for sure.