Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Nice, I'd like to do that some day! (but much slower) Took me 20 days to do the GB Divide which is only 1,200 miles.

I'm also interested in the European Divide Trail, which is like 4k miles, but budget is the biggest limiting factor for me. Just don't have the funds to go riding for 3 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SplitDestiny
Sep 25, 2004

hemale in pain posted:

Nice, I'd like to do that some day! (but much slower) Took me 20 days to do the GB Divide which is only 1,200 miles.

I'm also interested in the European Divide Trail, which is like 4k miles, but budget is the biggest limiting factor for me. Just don't have the funds to go riding for 3 months.

Yeah, I was kind of in between jobs so I just went for it. Didn't exactly have the training I wanted ahead of time but I was able to ramp up the efforts as I went which concluded with 3 efforts of a full 24 hour pushes on the bike (~20ish hours of moving time). Part of that was also just trying to avoid the heat!

SplitDestiny
Sep 25, 2004

Aphex- posted:

Oh man that is so awesome, congrats! The GDMBR (not the Tour Divide race) is on my bucket list for sure.

The GDMBR is absolutely gorgeous and I absolutely want to come back to simply tour it. There are a lot of fantastic people and lodges you can stay at and enjoy when not racing. I definitely wouldn't recommend the Tour Divide deviations unless you really want to race as they just seem to be there to make the route harder and throw in more hike a bike.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

hemale in pain posted:

I'm also interested in the European Divide Trail, which is like 4k miles, but budget is the biggest limiting factor for me.

That name makes me irrationally angry because it's not actually following a divide.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Peggotty posted:

That name makes me irrationally angry because it's not actually following a divide.

To be fair nor is the GB divide! i think it's just the easiest thing to call your long distance bike ride because people will immediately 'get it'

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name
Oh, that's really disappointing

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
Once enough riders wear some ruts into the course they'll make their own divide, it's aspirational.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

this is a great article but super depressing

https://bill-watts.blogspot.com/2023/07/warm-showers-is-not-what-it-seems.html

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
drat, I guess I’m walking from that.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I've been noticing them getting a lot more aggressive with their donation emails. Wild that it's been taken over by a grifterwitch.

Why did they even need to dump so much money into app development, just use the loving website for Christ's sake (I know, this is a problem with the internet as a whole). The Facebook group lists TrustRoots as an alternative, anyone have any experience with it?

https://www.trustroots.org/circles/cyclists

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

WS has since threatened a lawsuit in an attempt to have that taken down.

https://bill-watts.blogspot.com/2023/07/why-does-warmshowers-charge-membership.html

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Pg3M-dbegSN12w9s3fy6qrWrBlJoYOy2/edit?pli=1

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Anyone tracking this closely? Only went up read this today and both that new post and the original are deleted.

E: it was archived

https://archive.ph/2023.07.16-004251/https://bill-watts.blogspot.com/2023/07/why-does-warmshowers-charge-membership.html

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Jul 24, 2023

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

kimbo305 posted:

Anyone tracking this closely? Only went up read this today and both that new post and the original are deleted.

Looks like both of them were archived.

https://web.archive.org/web/20230719004010/https://bill-watts.blogspot.com/2023/07/warm-showers-is-not-what-it-seems.html
https://web.archive.org/web/20230719004022/https://bill-watts.blogspot.com/2023/07/why-does-warmshowers-charge-membership.html

edit: also, it looks like they deleted all of the community discussion forums around the time this thread was made talking about where some of the finances are going. Seems pretty shady that a volunteer community isn't allowed to have a place that talks about said community.

https://archive.is/PWTMK

Coxswain Balls fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Jul 24, 2023

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
Anyone have some Mid-Atlantic recommendations for a multi day trip not too many hours from Washington DC?

I've done the W&OD, C&O canal, a bit of riding around the eastern shore of Maryland, GAP trail, and a bit of northern Virginia's gravel roads out to Sky Meadows and was wondering if there's anything else interesting out here maybe on the PA side

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

This is a fun one

https://bikepacking.com/routes/canaan-valley-forks-of-cheat/

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Oh nice. I sent it to my group and a two-day thing is probably best for friends with children

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

That’s a super fun route but I don’t know if I’d recommend it for kids. Lots of climbing and there are several points where you’ll be on some highly trafficked roads, but the majority is spent on quiet farm roads and rails to trails/jeep roads (especially in Blackwater Falls SP.)

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Lol that's a 1.5% average grade over the whole route, including the downhills. On unpaved roads, with singletrack. It looks fun but I wouldn't bring most of my friends on that if we were going to do it in two days, never mind kids.

Looks super nice though, would love to ride it.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

pantslesswithwolves posted:

That’s a super fun route but I don’t know if I’d recommend it for kids. Lots of climbing and there are several points where you’ll be on some highly trafficked roads, but the majority is spent on quiet farm roads and rails to trails/jeep roads (especially in Blackwater Falls SP.)

No, sorry, I meant that they need to get back to the spouse and kids, not that the kids would come

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

I posted something similar to this in the general bike thread, so sorry for the double post for those of you who are subscribed to both, but I have some touring specific questions I'd like to ask here as well:

I cracked the frame of my favorite bike on Ragbrai this year. A Giant OCR A1 endurance road bike. It wasn't my best bike, but I've had it for 17 years since new and I really loved it. I'm pretty bummed about breaking it.

But as a result of that, I'm in the market for a new bike. I've done some road touring with panniers in the past, and really enjoyed it. I'm looking to take this bike on some much longer, mixed surface trips. My current plan is to use a soft bikepacking bag setup if possible. I'd like to do a shake out run on the Empire State Trail, and continue with the weekend-week long routes around Wisconsin where I live that I have been doing, but the end goal would be a cross country trip within the next year or two. I'm currently thinking along the Great American Rail Trail when possible, filling in the gaps with road/gravel road riding. I could also see doing the GDMBR, and some Eurovelo routes, but getting time off for the cross country trip is difficult enough, so that's in the more distant future.

I think given the mixed surfaces of the routes I'm thinking of, combined with my desire to ride somewhat quickly and strong preference for drop bar bikes, means a gravel bike is in order. I'm looking for something with enough heft, and enough braze-ons to handle a load, while still being fairly quick unloaded.

So all of that long story is to say: If you had, I dunno, $3-5000 for a gravel/touring bike, what would you look at? I wasn't expecting to be in the market so soon, so I haven't done a ton of research yet. I rented a Trek Checkpoint for a week that I really liked riding. I've never ridden one, but if I wanted something a bit more touring focused, I've heard good things about Salsa Cutthroats. I don't anticipate entering into a bikepacking race or anything, and given the distances I'm thinking comfort is pretty important, but I don't enjoy leisurely touring, so I do try to ride fairly quickly.

As long as I'm being clueless: What's the consensus opinion on 1x vs 2x for touring? I lean towards 2x, but it's really just familiarity I think.

Also, I really only know anything about road focused groupsets, especially Shimano, and know very little about SRAM or GRX. Any pointers on what to look for there?

maxe
Sep 23, 2004

BLURRED SWEET STREETLIGHTS SPEEDING PAST, FAST
edit

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Hey thread. I'm in a curious position; I built up a surly cross check with the intention of touring. I then started training for gravel races, got a bike fit, and it confirmed that I am not built for a surly. Long top tube, short head tube, so in the end this wasn't the frame for me.

So, now I have a frame that I am not comfortable on, set up with a dynamo hub, a nice wired light, and a rim brake/direct mount custom wheelset.

What are some thread favorites for touring bikes? I want something less cyclocross and more comfortable on distance. I should have known better :( luckily I had the foresight to build a pretty flexible wheelset.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Hey thread. I'm in a curious position; I built up a surly cross check with the intention of touring. I then started training for gravel races, got a bike fit, and it confirmed that I am not built for a surly. Long top tube, short head tube, so in the end this wasn't the frame for me.

So, now I have a frame that I am not comfortable on, set up with a dynamo hub, a nice wired light, and a rim brake/direct mount custom wheelset.

What are some thread favorites for touring bikes? I want something less cyclocross and more comfortable on distance. I should have known better :( luckily I had the foresight to build a pretty flexible wheelset.

Is a swept-back bar like a Jones not an option? Those are great for touring and make the front end feel higher and shorter.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Ribble CGR Al

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYRKjKsDgyQ

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Some kid decided to do the circumnavigation of Taiwan tour without any prior cycling or touring experience. Doing pretty well, all told
https://www.instagram.com/reel/C1a_38MpSpd/?igsh=MXJqZ3FycmZyNHBsOQ==

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

kimbo305 posted:

Some kid decided to do the circumnavigation of Taiwan tour without any prior cycling or touring experience. Doing pretty well, all told

Must be nice to be so young and do things without training. I’ve been thinking about doing this ride next time I go to Taiwan. Weather in December would be perfect. (Goal to finish in 3 days :V)

Shadowhand00 fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Jan 8, 2024

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Shadowhand00 posted:

Must be nice to be so young and do things without training. I’ve been thinking about doing this ride next time I go to Taiwan. Weather in December would be perfect.

Have to strongly doubt the claim of ‘never ridden longer than 30 minutes before’.

He’s in for some pain with a big backpack for that long, and without having spent some time finding clothes (weather, Gooch) and a bike position that works.

In for the puncture fix video if he’s as newbie as claimed.

I envy having that much free time.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

wooger posted:

Have to strongly doubt the claim of ‘never ridden longer than 30 minutes before’.

He’s in for some pain with a big backpack for that long, and without having spent some time finding clothes (weather, Gooch) and a bike position that works.

In for the puncture fix video if he’s as newbie as claimed.

I envy having that much free time.

He's doing about 30 miles a day, he'll be fine

dema
Aug 13, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

Friend of mine just did this over the holidays. Wet and windy most days, but still looked amazing. Was super cheap too.

It's on my bucket list.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

dema posted:

Friend of mine just did this over the holidays. Wet and windy most days, but still looked amazing. Was super cheap too.

It's on my bucket list.

I didn't bike in Taiwan besides on city bikes around Taipei, but I just want to reiterate that, apart from the flight to get there, Taiwan is surprisingly cheap. I only spent 2 days outside of Taipei, but it was also extremely pretty.

There's a ton of biking in the cities, but you'd be somewhat of a novelty on the roads outside of the city (not unheard of, but I didn't see a ton of cycling for pleasure when I was there, although the government is trying to promote it). Drivers seem extremely careful (again, outside of the city) though.

Absolutely would be a great trip.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Grumpwagon posted:

I didn't bike in Taiwan besides on city bikes around Taipei, but I just want to reiterate that, apart from the flight to get there, Taiwan is surprisingly cheap. I only spent 2 days outside of Taipei, but it was also extremely pretty.

There's a ton of biking in the cities, but you'd be somewhat of a novelty on the roads outside of the city (not unheard of, but I didn't see a ton of cycling for pleasure when I was there, although the government is trying to promote it). Drivers seem extremely careful (again, outside of the city) though.

Absolutely would be a great trip.

Younger Taiwanese people are super into road biking in my anecdotal experience. Haven't heard a single bad thing about touring there.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
Put the route of this race in your tour if you fancy a challenge. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taiwan_KOM_Challenge

SadBag
Jun 24, 2012

Something has gone very wrong for us to get to the point where Hot Dog is the admiral.
Gonna try doing part of the Transamerican Trail (Yorktown VA to the Mississippi River ~1000 miles?) and was wondering

If I have historically done 60 miles a day on dirt and gravel on the GAP and C&O canal, would 80 miles a day on road be reasonable?
According to OP, I shouldn't do Warmshowers, is there a better solution other than hotel? Doing hotel only doesn't kill trip, but would like to save on cost.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

SadBag posted:

If I have historically done 60 miles a day on dirt and gravel on the GAP and C&O canal, would 80 miles a day on road be reasonable?
According to OP, I shouldn't do Warmshowers, is there a better solution other than hotel? Doing hotel only doesn't kill trip, but would like to save on cost.

I'm no expert, but 80 miles a day on road sounds reasonable if you're doing 60 on dirt, depending on your load/tires/bike.

I think Warmshowers is still a fine option. As far as I know the alternatives have not advanced to the level of usefulness needed, but maybe someone actively touring will have more information there. What the OP is saying is there was a series of articles analyzing the little bit of financial transparency coming out of WS and found that the money coming in from signups may not be being spent particularly wisely. The community itself is still strong, so if you're looking for a room to crash in, it's still a good option.

For what it's worth, since those articles, the level of communication coming from WS has improved. My guess is that the governance of WS is still a mess, but maybe they got a bit of a shake up and are doing better for now. Whether that continues once the extra scrutiny has moved on is another question.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

The FB group I joined that tracked and shared various WS altenative efforts:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/243374777243989

recently shared this project by former WS people:
https://sleepy.bike/

The group has a separate group for posting hosting requests:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/4776942152320806/

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

It's not just the financials, but the way they were dismissing concerns and banning longtime users when trying to ask questions relating to stuff like safety. What kicked off that initial lawsuit was the guy just trying to get community feedback on how to handle someone who's clearly mentally ill who knows your address. Witch lady seems to only want positive articles about WS since that helps with her grift on the podcast circuit, and stymies any constructive discussion that gets in the way of that.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

lol one of the ratings on your account now on the new website is how much money you've donated to them, get the gently caress outta here.

Am I having a stroke or does every month that doesn't actually start on a Monday looks all messed up? They spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on this when the old site was completely, perfectly fine.

Coxswain Balls fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Mar 20, 2024

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Coxswain Balls posted:

Am I having a stroke or does every month that doesn't actually start on a Monday looks all messed up? They spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on this when the old site was completely, perfectly fine.

Yeah, whatever their rendering approach is, they're just not accounting the for the not-shown days of the previous month, so the first partial row is left justified instead of right.
Easy fix but absolutely speaks to the lack of money put in the right place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Escaping for an overnighter season is here. Did a big loop of our park system, discovered the towpath was closed about 20 miles down, did a detour up a big dumb hill and discovered a really fun mile of downhill gravel. 30mi to the campsite, another 39 miles the next morning. Got a new Wayward Louise harness over the winter and this was the first time with it, works awesome. I am also out of shape because my "I'm gonna zwift all winter and come out of it really strong!" plan didn't actually happen.

As an aside, I love that I can walk out of my house and be on a trail in less than a mile for an overnight (or more) trip. It's just as easy to ride all the way to cincinatti and have good campsites the whole way, still staying on trails 90% of the time. I spent a long time being an avid backpacker, but traveling just for a quick escape 1 or 2 night trip is kind of exhausting after a certain point. Bikes are awesome.

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Mar 30, 2024