Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
My future bikepacking bike arrives tomorrow.

I'm mega hyped.

I have to do a camping gear audit (I don't have much stuff but I need to know what might be problematic).

Soon*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

hemale in pain posted:

it's illegal to say your new bike is coming without telling us what bike it is

I've been running my mouth across the other bike threads. I figured I'd do an intro post once I have it since I'll be picking the thread's brain for mounting solutions on gear anyway.

it's this little fella

https://www.poseidonbike.com/products/redwood

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

hemale in pain posted:

That looks great. I love that shade of green.

yeah, I think it looks like it should punch above its weight class. I'm optimistic.

I've already got my initial loadout plan:

2x Salsa Anything HD + Salsa Anything bag (~4.5L or ~9L together)

Moosetreks Bike Seatpost Bag Large - (8L - 14L)

Some frame bag, need to look at my LBS stock and try some bags out on the bike itself for a proper fit.

Last bit of kit is a 10L hydration backpack I like quite a bit (Osprey)

BIG OL DISCLAIMER I don't know what I'm doing and this is my first foray into the hobby.

Cannon_Fodder fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Mar 10, 2021

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
That's good to hear.

My gear is pretty hiking-based right now, so I'm nervous about getting my tent packed up. The "lay it all out and figure it out" exercise I get to do on Thursday night will be pretty eye opening.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

I’m assuming your 10L bag is 10L total capacity and not liquid. At any rate, why would you want to use a backpack? Keeping the weight off your shoulders and on the bike is like the best part.

If you do a half frame bag you can use bottles. A full frame bag you can stick in the bladder.

I like my backpack.

I've done 60 mile rides and a bit of MTB stuff with the little pack and it's worked out well.

At first it was because I didn't want to deal with water bottles, the bladder in this thing was quite nice. May be well worth dropping the bladder into a frame bag though, after yesterday's ride, my shoulders are real pissed. Could just be I'm not in proper shape, but I can see this being a pain in the rear end long-distance if it's simply the weight.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
I did my first 2-3 60 mile rides with a drawstring swag bag loaded with my windbreaker/food/phone.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
Hey, it turns out that due to the cable routing on the poseidon,my dreams of an all bag setup are shattered.

On the plus side,now I can start looking into a rear rack!

Does anyone have recommendations for paniers and a small rack that would work on this thing? It has braze ons on the rear triangle but will require a fairly decent clearance for the 2.5" 27.5 tires.

For the front, I'm going to go with anything cages on the fork and either some straps plus cheap dry/compression bags or proper salsa anything bags.

My buddy has shown some interest in going bikepacking with me so I'm going to set up my El Mariachi for that as well. For that bike,I can actually get a front bar bag. I'm unreasonably hyped for how expensive this will most likely turn out.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Biggus Duckus posted:

What's stopping you from going all bags?

I wanted a front handlebar bag but the way the brifter routes the cable gets in the way.

http://imgur.com/gallery/WYQKTGb

Cannon_Fodder fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Mar 16, 2021

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

:3: that's excellent.

Thank you!

Koth posted:

I have the Ortlieb Sport-Roller panniers I've used for bikepacking. I really like like Ortlieb system because I can get them dialed in and they don't move at all.

I'll take a look. Things are getting real hard to find.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Koth posted:

I mean, there are plenty of bags available. Arkel, Axiom, Topeak, Ortlieb are available in every bike shop. Arkel and Ortlieb make great bags, but they all look the same and they're all soooo bland.

This will be my first time toying with bags and racks. How well do they fit together? Are there any sizing/compatible gotchas to know about?

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
LBS had a Salsa Anything Cradle available.

Cue me riding back to my house with 2 coffees, a bike rack tucked into my pants, and one hand on my hoods.

90 bucks? Donezo. Looks like my mountain bike is getting its first bikepacking upgrade!

For clarity's sake, I'm setting up 2 bikes at the moment.

Salsa El Mariachi hardtail (hence the front cradle)
Poseidon Redwood (going with the rear rack panniers as per the thread's advice)

Cannon_Fodder fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Mar 16, 2021

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

REI was selling the top load dry bag for $40 but actually sent you the entire kit - bag, cradle, accessory pouch and straps.

I know 4 people personally who bought this and got the whole thing. They still have the side load bag for $40. I believe someone mentioned they got the whole kit there as well.

Yep. This was mentioned on Discord.

I pulled the trigger on some cages and bags. On wishful thinking, I picked up the bag, worst case, I now have 2 cradles.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

CopperHound posted:

Another data point. Ordered march 5th just got the kit.

Due to that forwarding fuckery, my package is now in Pittsburgh for the second time. It literally got to my doorstep and my mail guy found a forward taking it to Pittsburgh and then to detroit. Luckily I discovered the forward quickly and spent like 5 hours on the phone with usps to undo the damage.

Soon!

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
Attempted to 2-day the 100 mile Coast to Coast Gravel Grinder.

Here's the route: https://www.strava.com/routes/22770635

We were going to start from the opposite side and cut out the beginning and end 7 miles.

It was so loving cold the second day that we edited out quite a bit of it.

Anyway, here's the ride. We had a ton of fun and the route kicked our rear end really badly on the first day.
https://www.strava.com/activities/5196371527

I'm in love. Touring rules. Bikepacking rules. Climbing sand/gravel hills rules*.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

hemale in pain posted:

The button man sounds amazing (and harmless probably)

Deer antler buttons...

Human femur buttons...

I mean, buttons dude.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Blotto_Otter posted:

I’m gonna go out on a limb here and suggest that the kind of guy who writes his mom a not-suicide note in a public Instagram post before blithely shutting his phone off, seemingly oblivious to the panic that might cause… might not have the best planning skills and attention to detail.

but I'm sure his calves are impressive

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
Sounds like an adventure!

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
Some are straight forward, but a good chunk is up mountain bike trails in reverse (climbing the long descents and descending the punchy uphills) which are a pain in the rear end. Others are straight, but sand forest roads and ATV roads with some loving stupid hills. You get to the top spinning sand backwards for the last bit and see 4 more identical big stupid hills immediately after. Don't get me wrong, I'm excited to try again, but big oof.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
I really like my wahoo element bolt. If I'm on 2 wheels, I'm bringing it along. No real worries on overnight bikepacking trips. The nav poo poo works well.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
I got suckered by the swift sale on last year's stock. That zeitgeist was calling my name...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
Hey thread. I'm in a curious position; I built up a surly cross check with the intention of touring. I then started training for gravel races, got a bike fit, and it confirmed that I am not built for a surly. Long top tube, short head tube, so in the end this wasn't the frame for me.

So, now I have a frame that I am not comfortable on, set up with a dynamo hub, a nice wired light, and a rim brake/direct mount custom wheelset.

What are some thread favorites for touring bikes? I want something less cyclocross and more comfortable on distance. I should have known better :( luckily I had the foresight to build a pretty flexible wheelset.