Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Casual Yogurt posted:

I love bike touring!!! 2012-present:

First time 2 day bike touring LOL:

i loving love this like seriously it's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

snow

cool campsite

moody cows

Going on a overnighter this monday so i'm super excited even though the forecast is just dreadful

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I did a little bike tour 2 weeks ago. I managed one night of wild camping but bailed out the other 2 nights and slept in hotels because the weather was truely dreadful. I was on a moor in 50mph winds and the rain felt like daggers and i decided that trying to bivy would suck balls. I maybe should of sucked it up and found somewhere to camp but ehhhhh I wanted to enjoy myself.

the first night was actually alright. i was sheltered and next to a stream and the sound of running water helped me sleep.

the purple heather is really pretty this time of year

I have a more gravel and less mountain bike type ride planned in a few weeks in scotland. I'm hoping for better weather and no storms.

e: forgot i had a huge sidewall puncture I managed to plug and ride 100km on.

the tyre is worth like £50 and the tread was hardly worn so I've attempted a home repair. I sowed it up with dental floss, glued a radial patch on the back and also covered it in gorrilla tape. It's holding up tubeless at the moment! (please don't make fun of my stitching i really have no idea how to do it)

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Sep 1, 2020

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

It was alright, this was in the morning so it had slackened a bit overnight when it got wet. Definitely not perfect set up but just would need to pull it a bit more taut over the wheel to get rid of that slump.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

cebrail posted:

What kind of bivy is that and in what climate do you use it? I'm interested in trying out this setup but I've never used a bivy and the ones that are just a second sleeping bag and the ones that have a hoop and look like a very small tent look very different.

I got the just the bag setup and it's Ok. If you already got all the other camping equipment like a tent ground sheet, sleeping bag and mat you can definitely try bivying for cheap by just getting a bag off ebay and going on a dry night to see if you like it. If there's no rain forecast you shouldn't need a tarp.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I think i spend more time planning bike tours than i do cycling. and i cycle ALOT.

send help

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Koth posted:

What are you planning now?

Outer Hebrides! it's a little island chain off the coast of scotland. I had it booked for this year but then Covid happened so i'm gonna do it as early as possible next year when the campsites are open and the weather not to crap. It's not super long but it's pretty remote and there's a bunch of ferry crossings. i've had a board up with all the ferry timetables and trains pinned to my wall for the last 7 months :(

e: On equipment side of things i got some new panniers. they're arkel drylites and are like 450g for the pair with 28ltr of storage.

here's a poo poo photo i took of them to show my bf they fit my bike. i did some bad math but compared to my normal bikepacking setup it's only about 500g extra weight, counting the rack, and it's a gently caress ton more convenient.

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Nov 15, 2020

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

God Hole posted:

i used those for my trans-europe trip. for how light they were, they held up fantastically over 45 days and even after getting snagged on many branches & stairway handrails & even an early-morning assault by a colony of ants, i never had a leak.

The material does feel pretty robust though i'm not a massive fan of how it attaches to the bottom of the rack with the bungee cord hook. did it ever wobble off over rougher terrain? my rack isn't tall enough to get it taut so i gotta hook it over a part it could slip off from or kinda loop the cord around one of the rack struts.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Do you think you'll be able to travel through Europe this year? Im hopeful that the vaccine will stop covid but I'm m not hopeful it's gonna happen this year and I'm definitely not going to be planning any bike rides where I'll be travelling across multiple countries. You'd be totally screwed if a lockdown was announced and it became illegal to leave.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I dunno which bike thread this would be best in but i wanna get a steel frame for bikepacking to replace my alu frame. Leaning towards surly but there's so many drat frame options from them I dunno what would be best. Anyone had any experience riding them? Most of my bikepacking is off road and over stuff you'd want a fun bike to ride stuff over, but i also wanna be able to throw 700c gravel wheels on it and do more relaxed stuff.

i'm worried if i grab something which is too upright and made for hauling it'll suck terribly on trails. i'm basically split between the bridgeclub, ogre or karate monkey but also welcome other suggestions.

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Mar 10, 2021

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

it's illegal to say your new bike is coming without telling us what bike it is

Biggus Duckus posted:

Sounds like you want a flat bar bike, yes? Surly are good, a bit heavy, but good price points.

What sort of terrain are you mainly expecting to be on?

Yup, flat bar definitely. never really liked drop bar even on purely road bikes.

Terrain is sorta hard to pin down. Definitely rough off road stuff so leaning towards something which is more mountain bike than gravel. I should of said i wanna put in 27.5+ 2.8 wheels/tyres on it, but also switch between 700c wheels too.

current bike in it's various forms. i actually love it but the frame is cheap and has no inbuilt rack mounts.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I did always want a ogre! (mostly for the cool name) i'm leaning more towards the bridge club because the frame is about £150 cheaper here but i don't wanna make my decision entirely based on money.

big thing is that all my wheels are non-boost 135mm so i'd need an adapter piece to use them with a ogre while i think they'll go straight in the BC.

Cannon_Fodder posted:

I've been running my mouth across the other bike threads. I figured I'd do an intro post once I have it since I'll be picking the thread's brain for mounting solutions on gear anyway.

it's this little fella

https://www.poseidonbike.com/products/redwood

That looks great. I love that shade of green.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Can't vouch for them myself but the Jones SWB's cost comes in a little more than an Ogre. Not sure about putting 700c wheels on it though.

go home bike your drunk!!

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Biggus Duckus posted:

If possible I would look into the Kona Unit before any Surly bike. I find Surlys to be good, but heavy, overbuilt, and a little slow to change. If I were to get a rigid flat bar MTB this is what I would get.

https://konaworld.com/unit.cfm

I had limited options because I couldn't afford new wheels! I would of got a big bro if i was richer but my bike had to be compatible with QR/nonboost. (also if im honest i couldn't find any kona units in stock here)

I think I've settled with a bridge club. At the very worst i'll have an excellent commuter bike which'll last forever.

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Mar 10, 2021

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Dumping the backpack is pretty great! I think it's not worth worrying about for your first few times going camping on the bike tho, as they're super convenient for jamming all that extra stuff in. Just use what you got and then you can get super ocd about bags (it will happen)

I got some ridiculous paper thin ultra sil backpack which rolls up into a tiny ball I take with me and use for when I go shopping and wanna buy more food than I can carry. I think it's like my favourite piece of equipment ever.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

you can never have too many bike things

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

The button man sounds amazing (and harmless probably)

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Time posted:

I think the camera thing is probably not real, but if it is then it’s the creepiest poo poo of all time

It's a very common spooky story so yeah probably not real but still a cool fireside tale.

Next time I'm wild camping with a friend ill make sure to tell them about the button man

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

corker2k posted:

Not a good planner? The man cut the handle off his toothbrush!!

And then didn't research if there would be water in any streams at that time of year...

i mean the dude made it and didn't seem to be in any extreme danger apart from being alone so gotta give him credit for that.

I for one just came back from an overnighter. i'm prepping for a larger trip and oh gosh i'm out of practice! I hosed up stuff multiple times. I got a puncture in the dark and accidentally stabbed a new hole in the tyre, when putting the plug in, and completetly missed the puncture. My pump was messed up and was taking bloody ages to get the tyre barely inflated. I couldn't figure out why! then sitting in bed last night after the trip i suddenly realized i'd lent it to a bunch of blokes at the pub who had a flat and they'd changed it from presta to schrader. They switched it back but put the rubber piece in the wrong way round so it was never making an effective seal. I don't blame them, it's my tool and i should know how to use it and check for problems.

My saddle bag anti-sway rail snapped because i didn't do up the bag straps which go through the seat rails tight enough. the bag was only being supported by the rail so yeah massive user error! thankfully it's not critical for attaching the bag so ductape and tightening straps kept it working. £20 down the drain though.

I also did the usual dumb stuff and put too much effort in early on because i felt good and tuckered mysef for the next like 80km that day. didn't eat/drink enough etc etc. On the plus side i'll hopefully learn from these mistakes so when im out for 3 weeks i wont gently caress up as much.

It was all plain english countryside so no interesting photos but bike -

and cool arse blood moon i could see over the sea from my bivying spot (terrible quality, my camera cant do night)

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 10:11 on May 29, 2021

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

That's loving insane

1 water bottle each in the desert :psyduck:

e: me and my bf did the Caledonia way about 2 weeks ago over 5 days.

Scotlands cool and I really appreciated the panniers over a saddle bag. I think i'll try using them on a proper off road mtb ride next because drat does vertical storage make life nice.

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jul 2, 2021

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I got a tarp i use as a tent groundsheet which doubles up as something to sit on. Came in handy when fixing my mates tyres when both punctured at the same time.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

This might be a better question for the MTB thread but anyone running fork bottle cages know how to stop the bottles from popping out whenever you get to mildly technical terrain? I've just used a strap to hold them in before but then you gotta undo the strap to get the bottle out and i wanna be able to drink while riding! I find water bladders to much of a pain in the butt to refill when they live in frame bags. i considered mounting luggage on the forks too and drinks inside the frame but frame bags are just king for ease of use and storage.

e: after i typed this i did just remember reading something about someone using a cockpit bag as a drinks holder so maybe i could put a small bottle in there for drinking on the move and just use the forks as water storage.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

I probably should have specified I'm looking for not-bike specific shoes because all of them are so substantially padded or thick soled that they take days to dry out once soaked and I tend to do a lot of water crossings on my routes.

Five ten trailcross LT is actually good though! it's made of very light/thin materials which don't get soaked and has drainage holes.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I'm 14 days into a bike trip. How do you guys stop from looking like crap? I've got sunburnt, my lips are kinda gross even though I've been slapping on lip balm and I'm getting spotty even though I've been washing when I can.

Also got some sort of spot/friction sore on my inner thigh, bunch of swollen bug bites and my legs and knees are shredded from undergrowth/falling off/pedal strikes.

Im having a good time though!

E: pics

Corrieyairack pass. Some guy called general Wade built a military road up there to suppress the Scots.

The Glens are cool as hell to bike down

Wild camping overlooking a loch. Was fine when setting up as a wind was keeping the midges away but the wind died at night and there was thousands of them swarming up my tent flysheet.

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Sep 19, 2021

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Well im probably not using lip balm enough then! I'll try to wash a little more when wild camping as Im usually pretty lazy if I don't have access to showers.

I got a hostel for the night and had all my clothes washed so I'm feeling a ton cleaner and less gross this morning.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

i did some bike touring last week in the lake district. i packed too heavy and there was loads of hike-a-bikes but it was an experience.

i also saw this cat

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

kimbo305 posted:

I dunno if I was too early an adopter, but the panel I got in 2014 was junk. What's the cheapest model that can charge a battery?

My problem with solar panels is that a 20000mAh battery pack will last me 4-5 days and weighs roughly the same amount so i could just bring another power pack instead. I like the idea of dynamos though! when i have to get a new wheel i think i'll get one.

Planet X posted:

Looks fantastic.

thanks, it was honestly awful and i'm excited for a nice chill bike tour for my next trip. i broke the elastic in my poles from the rough descents.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

The company behind my current GPS unit has gone bust and I can't buy maps for it anymore, and as far as i can tell no one has cracked it. I really can't find the perfect replacement and it's kinda annoying me - just something with a big screen, simple and with buttons. Any suggestions? I'm considering just picking up a used Garmin Edge 530 for £130-150 but the screen looks a bit small and i like having the display up as i'm mainly off-road and navigating paths which aren't very clear at times.

I've considered the Etrex but everyone says the bicycle mounts are utter garbage for mountain biking.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I'm just a bit worried about how rain would effect the touchscreen. Locking the screen is ok but if you need to fiddle with the map it's nice having buttons to pan which was why i was leaning towards the 530.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Looks great. Did you guys know the language or just got through with a couple of phrases?

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

In my opinion get the biggest bags. The weight difference will be relatively minor, we're talking 200-300g difference for all of them combined, and it's super nice having too much room cause it sucks trying to cram stuff in to small spaces with cold hands in the dark.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Nice, I'd like to do that some day! (but much slower) Took me 20 days to do the GB Divide which is only 1,200 miles.

I'm also interested in the European Divide Trail, which is like 4k miles, but budget is the biggest limiting factor for me. Just don't have the funds to go riding for 3 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Peggotty posted:

That name makes me irrationally angry because it's not actually following a divide.

To be fair nor is the GB divide! i think it's just the easiest thing to call your long distance bike ride because people will immediately 'get it'