Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

kimbo305 posted:

Alan of CyclingAbout (a very good touring resource) gives an impassioned argument on how little frame material matters past a certain tire size, owing to deflection coming from the dominant soft spring in a system:
https://www.cyclingabout.com/why-impossible-steel-frames-more-comfortable-than-aluminium/
Ignore the clickbait title.
Please, big soft tires are no substitute for the torsional flex in my noodly frame. :suicide:

Old steel can feel sketchy with a heavy rear load. It is much better with a balanced load.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Coxswain Balls posted:

It's a weird thing to want, but does anyone still make frames that have both cantilever and disc brake mounts?
Troll still has both, though I can't say I have ever experienced, or even heard of, brake fade with mechanical discs and metallic pads.

e: We're you the person that fell off the side of the mountain in Japan? If so I guess I can sorta understand your extra caution.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

kimbo305 posted:

Seeing that makes me want to consider updating to 46 or 50t. Just in case.
I don't know about you, but I think I'd have to shift down to my 40t chainring to make it up that hill :v:

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I have 26x2.5" extra terrestrial tires on my troll. I'm a bit of a tire snob and they are about the limit of what I would put up in terms of tire stiffness. I highly recommend them if you are looking for an expedition tire, but since you were using rat trap passes, I imagine you might want something more... supple for shorter trips.

rope kid posted:

I think I'm going tubeless but this will be my first tubeless setup. Is changing tires a hassle with tubeless?
Yes, but it is worth it.

E: In case you are looking for some point of reference, The ETs rolled so much nicer than the marathon mondial tires I had originally put on the bike.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jul 28, 2020

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Ugh... fine, I'll say it: Nice Bulge :heysexy:
Sewing 3d curves is not something I've managed to wrap my head around.
What are the loops at the end of the zippers for? Is there another slide that we can't see in the pictures?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

i say swears online posted:

I really am happy with my current bike, I just wish it wasn't damaged
I can't be a great judge from a picture, but it just looks like surface rust to me.

If you go the powder coat route, get your frame faced before reassembly. You should do that anyway if you buy a bare surly frame because they leave thick powder coat everywhere.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Aug 15, 2020

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I've only had to remove my mudguards once:

I still think they are worth the pain-in-the-rear end effort of traveling with them unless you specifically plan to be riding on wet sticky clay.

e: If you are running dynamo wiring, make sure to make use of connectors wherever your bike can come apart.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Aug 25, 2020

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

While we are on the topic of dynamo wiring: you can get a telephone handset type coil in your wire by wrapping it around a pencil then hitting it with a heat gun. I do this, so I can have a little slack around the headset.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

hemale in pain posted:

the first night was actually alright. i was sheltered and next to a stream and the sound of running water helped me sleep.

Kinda a cool minimalist setup, but oof, that would have sucked in wind driven rain. Looks like you might have had problems with water pooling on the tarp even without the wind.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

hemale in pain posted:

I think i spend more time planning bike tours than i do cycling. and i cycle ALOT.

send help
Help is in the form of someone who is on a tour that convinces you to come along.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

evil_bunnY posted:

What fittings are on your ortliebs? Where are they not secure?
My only problem is that the bottom hook pops out over rough terrain. I'm lazy, but adding a second hook or even just putting a bungie around the bag would probably fix the problem.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Dren posted:

I want to do the C&O trail when the virus clears up. Not sure yet if we will want to camp or not. I’ve got three bikes, a synapse 105 disc (aluminum), an fx1, and a marlin 7. I’d like to sell the fx1 to free up garage space but i hesitate because i feel like it’s the most appropriate bike for this.

Marlin 7
pro - 300 lb weight limit, mount points for back rack, big tire clearance, front shocks, 32 spoke wheels
con - 1x10 drivetrain with 28t front chainring seems kinda slow, flat handlebars

fx1
pro - 300 lb weight limit, mount points for back rack, can run at least a 35 (not sure the max clearance), plenty of gears, 32 spoke wheels
con - flat handlebars, steel fork, rim brakes will be annoying in the rain

synapse 105 disc
pro - 105 groupset, drop handlebars
con - max tire clearance is 32, back rack but it might only be intended for fenders, 28 spoke wheels
weight limit ???

What is my best choice here? If it’s the fx1, what’s my second best choice? What about putting a 36T chainring on the marlin 7?
FX is probably my safest recommendation of the three. I *think* it even has mounts for a front lowrider rack. V brakes are fine.

Personally if I decided not to camp, I would try the synapse without a rack and a couple small bags (saddle, frame, handlebar) for clothes, snacks, and tools. Worst case, walk a few nasty sections.

Whichever you chose, an evenly distributed load helps a lot when handling a bike on the rough terrain. In my experience, weight on the front can even act like a mass damper and reduce the buzz of rough surfaces transferring to your hands.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Bottom Liner posted:

The Ogre or Troll will probably be the best fit for your description. My Ogre was a great bikepacking bike on and off-road.
IMO if you aren't a big person I would consider troll and ogre overbuilt for anything short of heavy loads. I have a troll and my friend has an ogre. They handle riding off road with 40lbs of junk strapped to them like a champ, but without the load it just is kind of a disappointing ride. I don't know how to objectively quantify it, but it just isn't as fun to ride as other rigid dirt frames.

e: if you like ogre style I think the ecr is pretty similar but less heavily built. Also the 650b bridge club might be fun.

e2: I'd also suggest going with vertical dropouts or thru axle over the track ends unless you plan to set it up single speed.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Mar 10, 2021

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

REI was selling the top load dry bag for $40 but actually sent you the entire kit - bag, cradle, accessory pouch and straps.

I know 4 people personally who bought this and got the whole thing. They still have the side load bag for $40. I believe someone mentioned they got the whole kit there as well.
Another data point. Ordered march 5th just got the kit.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

evil_bunnY posted:

I mean if you’re not finding a way to compensate the locals you’re just a straight up rear end in a top hat.
I've had people turn down money and catch up to me to give it back if I try just leaving it anyway.

I've had best luck giving fruit, but that isn't always practical.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Bottom Liner posted:

There's probably a market for a large peanut butter jar sized bear can for overnighters, bikepackers, etc. If there are any small ones in the 1-2L range let me know.
I'm guessing that being small enough to fit in the mouth of a bear poses some design challenge compared to the big slippery cans that deflect bear teeth.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I pretty much accept that I am going to look like poo poo until I can check into a hotel and get washed up.

For helping with feeling gross: I don't like the feeling of several days of accumulated sunscreen so I tend to rely on clothing to protect most of my body. I still use sunscreen on my neck, ears, and nose, but generally wear a light weight long sleeved shirt and pants with a lot of stretch. I like straight leg prana pants on the bike. They look okay for walking around off bike too.

I don't have a recommendation for your lips. I don't think mine get a ton of sun when I ride.

As for your sore. Keep an eye on it and make sure it doesn't get infected. Maybe wrap of stretchy gauze around your leg to keep it from getting rubbed more.

Disclaimer: there are countless right ways to tour and what works for me might not be what works for you.

I hope you can continue enjoying the trip.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Bark! A Vagrant posted:

I'm looking to dip my toes into bike touring so that I can eventually join a good friend on trips. This might sound like an insane question, but how does one even find a bike these days? I went to two local shops and one said they didn't really have touring bikes in my price range, and the other said that maybe they'd be able to get their hands on a Kona Sutra SE. My budget is $2k (and wouldn't mind spending less than that), and I definitely don't know enough about bikes to feel comfortable purchasing a used one. I have a single speed that I've probably put a couple of thousand miles on commuting over the years, but am otherwise completely new to both cycling and touring. Are there any bikes you'd recommend with my budget?
First, tell us about the single speed bike you know. What are some things you like about it? What are some things you don't like about it? Have you ever ridden it for multiple hours in a day?

I'm asking you this because there are tons different kinds of great touring bikes out there now, it isn't just the Long Haul Trucker and Trek 520 as easy only go to recommendation anymore.

First I would narrow down a rough ratio of what kind of surface you would like to ride on. A recommendation for primary pavement/dirt road touring will be very different from primary singletrack/back country touring.

e: One more big question is if you're a light or heavy packer.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I can't recommend any individual model, but having a little beep before every turn or if you miss a turn is pretty helpful in unfamiliar built up areas.

Not mandatory of course. I think the most useful thing for me is elevation for the seemingly endless climbs when I can set little goals: "okay, just 100m more climbing and I can take a snack break"

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I've toyed around with dynamo charging. An extra power bank is almost always a better choice.

The exception being a week plus of no outlets or sun while still being to keep up a 10mph pace. Idk where in the world that is.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jul 15, 2022

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Oh of course, I use dynamo lights and love them. It just sucks for other stuff.

Never having to think about lights is great.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

FireTora posted:

I can't wait to tour again. Last one was 2 weeks down the coast from Portland to SF in March '20. We were ~2/3rds of the way when CA did all the covid lockdowns and all the campsites we were gonna stay at closed, and the last 2 hotels we stayed at closed the day after we left them.

Starting one in ~2 weeks finally :dogcited:. Doing about a month tour biking the coast of Denmark. Just finishing getting all my poo poo organized but super excited to tour again.

Here's the rough route, I'm still planning out the days, but gonna be ~100-120km days mostly.

If you can manage to forget you are an adult and embrace your inner 12 year old, I recommend checking out the Middle Age museum when you pass thru Sundby.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

That light has a small battery inside.

I actually have a spreadsheet of dynamo output from a son hub at various speed and load from a project I was working on. Basically Coxswain Balls was pretty much right about power topping out at at 5 watts, but it does take some fancy electronics to get the most usable power at a wide range of speeds.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jul 20, 2022

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Maybe this is what you're thinking of:

There are a ton of rear wheel hub generators, but they are heavy and output three phase power.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

It gets a little complicated, for any given head tube angle trail makes steering more stable, but a slack angle can make it feel stable and floppy at the same time.

Maybe stability isn't the best description when talking about a bike with weight on the front. Maybe 'heavier' steering might feel like it makes more sense.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

People are very understanding that they are getting a free place to crash, and as long as you are clear about what you're offering ahead of time it's all good.

One thing to be thoughtful about is leaving time for travelers to relax and journal, so sometimes just offering a quiet place to get cleaned up and crash is just as appreciated as doing a ton of work to feed and entertain a guest.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

aldantefax posted:

just attempt it.
Just attempt it is what a lot of people do for long bike tours. Some people have problems and bail. Some people have problems and figure them out on the road.

I'm not familiar with the great divide route, but if the route has you going through a town every day for the first week or so that can be a great learning experience. I think it is important to figure out a bailout plan ahead of time if you are having a bad time*.

Bad time includes but is not limited to:
-Bike breakdown
-Body breakdown
-Mental breakdown
-The entire western US being on fire.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Probably just cleared out until the next production run.

E: looks like the latest 520 combines the worst of both quick release and thru axle on the fork. It is a QR wheel, but you have to completely remove the skewer to take the wheel off.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Apr 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Mr Newsman posted:

Appreciate the insight. I'm really just deciding if a dynamo setup would be something I'm interested in I guess.
A dynamo light set up is my favorite quality of life improvement for a bike. Great for commuting, but in practice I never ride at night on tour. I want to have my sleeping place sorted before the sun goes down.

Tunnels are a thing though, so my lights still get use on tour.