Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

i posted this at the end of the old thread so I'm gonna go ahead and post it at the beginning of this new one!

i biked across the US with my friend Lucas in 2016. Lucas is an adventurer, ski instructor, climber, cyclist, and all-around cool dude. he also has one underdeveloped arm, which has done nothing to slow him down.

Lucas and two other physically challenged athletes are undergoing a challenge to start at the lowest altitude point of every continent and make it to the highest altitude point entirely by human power. so they'll be cycling, hiking, scrambling, and climbing their way all over the world for the foreseeable future. they already finished south america!

follow along

https://www.instagram.com/lowesthighest/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

i say swears online posted:

what's everyone's freeway protocol for exits, do you accelerate and time it while skipping across the lane or do you stop at the exit and look behind you like a child

yes

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

so I'm planning on training for and competing in the tour divide sometime within the next couple years (or whenever it comes back) so I'm looking for a good mountain bike that I could use for that, but also something that I can gently caress around on just doing normal bike tours on and maybe some easier mtb tracks. the only bikes I currently own are road.

obviously the most popular bike on the tour is the salsa cutthroat, and tbh this build (grx 600) seems to be exactly what I'm looking for:

https://salsacycles.com/bikes/cutthroat/2020_cutthroat_grx_600

but the $3000+ price range is a bit much for me to justify. plus, it looks like the wheels it comes with are something I'll have to replace.

can anyone recommend a bike with similar mid-to-high tier components but maybe a bit cheaper? doesn't necessarily have to be carbon.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

kimbo305 posted:

What do you want to spend on a bike, and how much more do you want to spend on gear for the tour?
I can't remember what your on-road setup was like and how much of it you can recycle.

I was hoping to keep it at about $2000 (so far so good for the fargo)

As for everything else, I already own all the gear I would need. I've ditched the panniers though and gone with a full bike bag setup.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Im not seeing any sole compartments for the storage and warming of ones meat?

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

vikingstrike posted:

That’s the kuku penthouse in assos bibs

the marketing clearly indicates that the penthouse keeps your meat cold

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

I have that same Borah bug bivy and it’s real good. Can you post a pic on how you’re using that tarp?

I have the same setup too and I usually just tie off one point of my 10x10 tarp to a tree or something, and stake the other three points down in a "plow point" configuration because I'm lazy

with that size tarp you can make a tent if the weather is bad, just use a stick for the central pole

(16:30 if it doesn't start there)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZV92xni5q8w

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

hemale in pain posted:

Outer Hebrides! it's a little island chain off the coast of scotland. I had it booked for this year but then Covid happened so i'm gonna do it as early as possible next year when the campsites are open and the weather not to crap. It's not super long but it's pretty remote and there's a bunch of ferry crossings. i've had a board up with all the ferry timetables and trains pinned to my wall for the last 7 months :(

e: On equipment side of things i got some new panniers. they're arkel drylites and are like 450g for the pair with 28ltr of storage.

here's a poo poo photo i took of them to show my bf they fit my bike. i did some bad math but compared to my normal bikepacking setup it's only about 500g extra weight, counting the rack, and it's a gently caress ton more convenient.

i used those for my trans-europe trip. for how light they were, they held up fantastically over 45 days and even after getting snagged on many branches & stairway handrails & even an early-morning assault by a colony of ants, i never had a leak.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

my rack was just long enough that it was pretty much perfectly taut, when I pulled the bungee it had to stretch a full 2-3 inches to hook onto the bottom of the rack (visible in my pic, it's the curved black bar just under the bag).

went over plenty of gravel and washboard and it never knocked loose. filling up the bags to full capacity seemed to help keep it rigid as well.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

wet wipes + a little soap and water on the sensitive bits before going to bed always helped me prevent sores from developing. halfway through my first trans-continental trip i swapped out my stock saddle for a brooks cambium c17 and never looked back. my rear end has been happy for years now

lips are a crapshoot, but i usually fare the best when i'm diligent about re-applying lip balm every hour or so. keep it in an easily accessible spot so you don't have an excuse to skip

you're gonna look like crap no matter what so just embrace it. learn to love your filth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

if the spacers aren't a dealbreaker for you, I bought some Platt brand """"carbon"""" aero bars off amazon for like $50 a while back for the same reason: I wasn't too concerned with efficient aero, just wanted the option to change up positions on long rides

I have no other experience with aero bars, but these do the job and at a pretty unbeatable price point. I would recommend adding some friction tape to the part of your handlebars you decide to place them at tho