Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
When touring, I had mudguards for a while but then removed them. The bag over my rear rack worked well enough for a rear pannier. It can however lead to you getting tar in your tent. Now I commute on my touring bike I'm very glad to have mudguards on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

i say swears online posted:

getting mud in between the fender and the tire is awful. i'll take the poop stripe any day (and even then like said, the back rack does a good enough job)

Didn't happen that often, but pushing my bike along mud roads where I'd get about 30m before my mudguards clogged up again and needed cleaning out was so painful. Lack of mudguards increased the range of that massively.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
It's the same as a regular hub in terms of building a wheel around it yes. You'll probably need slightly shorter spokes as it's probably a bit bigger than a normal hub.

I've got S&S couplings and a dynohub, but given the only thing charged by the hub is my front light the regular connectors have worked just fine. They can be marginally fiddly with cold hands. Also need to be careful that you don't leave them loose so they hook onto the wheel and get yanked.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
For securing your bike, consider an O lock. http://travellingtwo.com/resources/wheel-locks-for-bike-touring They're not light, but they're super convenient (until you lose the key when shaking out your tent and then have to get it chopped off). I've got that one that's pictured at the top.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
I used a Garmin on my world tour. I had a variety of different maps as it depended on the country which were better. The Garmin ones in Europe and North America are generally a bit better than OSM but probably not to the extent they're worth paying.

I a los had OsmAnd on my phone as it was easier to look at detail than on my Garmin which was mainly used to record and make pretty maps.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Definitely. I'm in a few of the touring FB groups and still see people out and about. I get it. Cycle touring is glorious and you might have planned this for years. But you still shouldn't be doing it.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

kimbo305 posted:

Absolutely nuts in terms of risk and loadout.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CQzYViKlMQX/

"However, most of the time they could rely on the generosity of locals for accommodation, food and water."

To me that's the key sentence. I spent over 6 years cycling around the world and it was only at all possible due to that. The kindness of strangers was something that was amazing and that I relied on. Usually not to the extent of not carrying water into a desert. It does raise the question of relying on people in poor countries for food. You definitely get invited in and given food/beds from people who choose to go without so you can have. Humbling and a questionable. But you can't say no when in that position.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
I carried a camping chair for the first while until I did a reassessment and got rid of it. Think that might have been Tampa - Charleston. Got rid of it as found I rarely used it. I almost never had a problem with sitting directly on the ground and generally actually prefer it. Only downside is if there are lots of fire ants or the like trying to eat you.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Can also apply some kind of grip to where your bottles touch the cage. Wrap Gorilla tape or something a bit more grippy and it'll still come out when you want but should add a bit of friction.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Getting used to sink showers helps. A washcloth and a large toilet at a petrol station do a great job. Washcloths make having a wash using just a sink so much more viable.

Iceland was probably the country where I had fewest showers but a decent petrol station every day or three got me cleanish. Longest without a shower on my trip was probably 2ish weeks but wet wipes/washcloth sink washes really made the difference.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
When I rode around the world, I had a dynamo. I tried charging things with it and it was meh other than allowing me to have a strong headlight powered by it. Two decent power banks, especially now that you can get ones that charge quickly, is what I'd do if I toured again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

SimonSays posted:

Can I reasonably do this if I only have an open apartment and a spare sofa?

Yes. I've stayed with a fair number of people (7 year trip) and happy with whatever. Just be honest with what you've got. I've stayed with people who had some spare floor space and I put my may out and that works too!