Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
Here is my bikepacking rig from my first bikepacking adventure last year. I'm carrying way too much stuff, but my Surly ECR handled it beautifully. I have another short trip planned for next week so I'll post a comparison photo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
It is definitely my favourite bike that I've ever owned.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
I did some bikepacking last week out at Riding Mountain National Park in Manitoba. September is definitely the prettiest month in Southern Manitoba. I did the Baldy Lake Trail out to the Gunn Lake campsite. It's all back country trails and camping so there's no cell phone service out there and rarely any people.

My Surly ECR all packed up. I bring my dog with me, so almost half of the stuff I have to carry is his. His food and water take up way more room than my food and water and his sleeping mat (because I'm a big softie that doesn't make him want to sleep on the ground) is as big as my sleeping bag. The tent is also a 4 person tent. I have a 2 person tent, but I like being comfortable.

This is what most of the trail looks like around this area.

With some open fields.

Gunn Lake.

The campsite is pretty good. They had just stocked the firewood before I got there, so that was nice, but any time I've been there it's always been well stocked.

Here is the cockpit on my ECR. I decided to bring my bluetooth speaker with me since I was alone and felt like some music and podcasts would be a good idea. The Beats Pill+ fit perfectly on the Surly Moloko Handlebar Bag. It was very snug.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Those are great photos and a great dog. Wish I could take my pup bikepacking but his prey drive is too high so he’s always gonna be an on-leash woofer for our adventures. Please go on more adventures with your dog and post more pictures!

Yeah, I'm pretty lucky in that he will always stay pretty close when he's off leash. He will start to panic if he loses sight of me.

His name is Cerberus and we go on many adventures together.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
I think the road bike riders would have the best info about preventing cramping. I typically don't ride hard enough to induce it.

Not a tour, but Cerberus and I went on another adventure this weekend.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

Honestly for the price of the high end big agnes you might as well add a little more and get full DCF. Half the weight and a lot more durable.

This is the first I've heard of DCF tents. Are they that much better than "regular" tents? I have a North Face Talus 4 for reference.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
All City Gorilla Monsoon maybe? Salsa has some really good drop bar bikes for touring/bikepacking. If you want flatbar/swept back bars, Surly has a lot of great bikes for off road touring and bikepacking.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
Cerberus and I went for another ride this weekend. Here is a very rough shot video of what it's like riding with him. Nothing super exciting happens.

https://youtu.be/wVTlK2WBrFA

Koth
Jul 1, 2005

bamhand posted:

Excuse me but that was very exciting and he looks very excited to me.

How much distance can he cover in a day?

In summer he can only do about 10 km per day because of the heat. I don't take him out for much longer than that, or we take longer breaks during the ride for him to recover. When it's cooler in spring/fall, he can do 20 km per day. In winter he can do about 25 km. On this run we did 17 km.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005

hemale in pain posted:

I think i spend more time planning bike tours than i do cycling. and i cycle ALOT.

send help

What are you planning now?

Koth
Jul 1, 2005

hemale in pain posted:

it's illegal to say your new bike is coming without telling us what bike it is

Yup, flat bar definitely. never really liked drop bar even on purely road bikes.

Terrain is sorta hard to pin down. Definitely rough off road stuff so leaning towards something which is more mountain bike than gravel. I should of said i wanna put in 27.5+ 2.8 wheels/tyres on it, but also switch between 700c wheels too.

current bike in it's various forms. i actually love it but the frame is cheap and has no inbuilt rack mounts.

Judging by those photos, I would look at the Surly Karate Monkey or Krampus (depending on if you want 27.5" or 29" wheels). I think the Karate Monkey and Krampus are the only rigid bikes that come stock with 3" tires (it depends on where you live and availability of other brands though). The Bridge Club would be good too. I wouldn't recommend the Troll because it's designed around 26" wheels. You can put 27.5" wheels on them, but I think 700c would be pushing it. The Surly Ogre now comes with Extraterrestrial tires which aren't great for rough road bikepacking.

The Kona Unit is a nice bike too, but it's a single speed. You have to go up to the Unit X if you want gears.

Surly bikes aren't designed to go fast, but that's never been the focal point of bikepacking anyway. My ERC rides amazing with a full loaded and I've found it still rides great when I have nothing on it - I still ride it around the city and on city trails and love it. But bike feel is a personal preference and varies greatly from person to person.

Koth fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Mar 15, 2021

Koth
Jul 1, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

Yeah, Surly bikes are heavy, overbuilt, and slow clunkers, but they have a special feel that makes them a joy to ride. Even compared to other QBP brands Surlys just feel right. A hardtail Karate Monkey is some of the most fun I've had on trails and I really liked the one I owned for a few weeks before deciding to go the drop bar route.

Which drop bar bike did you go with?

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
Ah yes, I recognize that bike. Very nice.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
I have the Ortlieb Sport-Roller panniers I've used for bikepacking. I really like like Ortlieb system because I can get them dialed in and they don't move at all.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005

I wish I had access to the bags Russ reviews. With the exchange rate and shipping to Canada, they usually come in at around $400.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005

I had to laugh as pretty much everyone mentions Arkel and Axiom. That's all that's available in the bike shops here.

Koth fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Mar 16, 2021

Koth
Jul 1, 2005

jamal posted:

Porcelain rocket? I'd guess there are a number of canadian bag makers aside from them.

Procelain Rocket was bought by Rockgeist, so all of their stuff is only available in the USA. Other than Arkel and TwoWheel Gear, I don't know who else makes bags in Canada.

It's not that I need a bag that's made in Canada, but being able to find Canadian retailers of these cool bags that Russ reviews would be nice.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
I mean, there are plenty of bags available. Arkel, Axiom, Topeak, Ortlieb are available in every bike shop. Arkel and Ortlieb make great bags, but they all look the same and they're all soooo bland.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005

Cannon_Fodder posted:

This will be my first time toying with bags and racks. How well do they fit together? Are there any sizing/compatible gotchas to know about?

I can only speak for the Ortlieb rack mount system, but they are completly adjustable on three points, so I can't imagine any rack that they wouldn't fit. I've put them on three different racks myself.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005

Koth posted:

Procelain Rocket was bought by Rockgeist, so all of their stuff is only available in the USA. Other than Arkel and TwoWheel Gear, I don't know who else makes bags in Canada.

It's not that I need a bag that's made in Canada, but being able to find Canadian retailers of these cool bags that Russ reviews would be nice.

I say this and then I find https://dismountbikeshop.com/ in Toronto which sells Swift bags and Outer Shell bags. I picked up the Drawcord Handlebar Bag https://outershell.com/shop/handlebar-bag to hold my camera.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005

Cannon_Fodder posted:

LBS had a Salsa Anything Cradle available.

Cue me riding back to my house with 2 coffees, a bike rack tucked into my pants, and one hand on my hoods.

90 bucks? Donezo. Looks like my mountain bike is getting its first bikepacking upgrade!

For clarity's sake, I'm setting up 2 bikes at the moment.

Salsa El Mariachi hardtail (hence the front cradle)
Poseidon Redwood (going with the rear rack panniers as per the thread's advice)

Nice. That's what I use, and I love it. It can be a bit of a pain getting the bag on the cradle at first, but once it's on, it stays tight.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
Wow, nice! Mine was almost $300 CDN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
gently caress, this is really lovely.

https://bikepacking.com/plog/iohan-gueorguiev-1988-2021/

I've seen all his videos and he was basically the reason I bought a Surly ECR and started bikepacking.