Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

TobinHatesYou posted:

Trace the old cleats with a silver sharpie.

Riding in British winter means my cleats have a permanent slightly muddy outline on the soul of the shoe :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I have bad knees and I had to gently caress with my pedal tension and cleat positioning for a few weeks until I got it right, I'm not excited about the prospect of ever replacing the pedals or the cleats.

Trace around the cleats on the sole before you take them off to replace.

Edit: beaten by tobin, didn't even know I was racing

As to the being careful while walking around bit - you won't crack them, but you can prematurely wear the cleats or get them full of dirt, which is annoying. If you do it a lot, you might consider getting "kool kovers" to go over the cleat while you're tromping about.

bicievino fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Feb 19, 2021

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Road cleats give you extra grip when hiking up shortcuts.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Replacing cleats and pedals is probably one of the easier tasks involving a bike

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I got to say it was a good day.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Eejit posted:

Replacing cleats and pedals is probably one of the easier tasks involving a bike

Except when you strip the hex bolt hole trying to take off a cleat because you haven’t touched them in a long time and probably didn’t clean out all the dirt properly
I need to get a dremmel...

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

e.pilot posted:

oh my

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Levitate posted:

Except when you strip the hex bolt hole trying to take off a cleat because you haven’t touched them in a long time and probably didn’t clean out all the dirt properly

maybe borrow one? they're not great

if you're going to buy something, get a screw extractor (if you have a drill)

https://www.amazon.com/Extractor-Stripped-HassleFree-Hardness-63-65hrc/dp/B07GZ17QD9/

comparison of different extractors, irwin does well for the low price:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVTn6wI4g6s

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Levitate posted:

Yeah I have to take my bike in to the LBS to help get one of my pedals unscrewed.

But this is just a problem of having the correct tool. There are plenty of wrenching skills that require finesse, which I totally lack

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Cat rear end Trophy posted:

This just pulled up an old memory. At some time, one of those little conical 2mm bolts that holds the face plate on fell off during a ride. I wrote to Trek and they sent me an entire brake small parts kit. Pretty much 2 of every little screw and bit that you would ever need. I think I still have it somewhere and it would be nice to give that bag of parts to someone who might need it at some time.

I'll poke around my shithole of a garage tomorrow.

Any chance you found the bolt set? I was able to dial in the rear brake, but one adjuster bolt on each side is stripped, and one is really close.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Eejit posted:

Loosening pedal spindles is pretty spooky, even when I have the chain in the big ring.

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009

TobinHatesYou posted:

Loosening pedal spindles is pretty spooky, even when I have the chain in the big ring.

I recently faceplanted on the big ring when changing pedals in a bad position. I'm what some would consider a professional bike mechanic and should have known better. Wasn't great though no permanent injuries apart from a small scar.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
The trick with pedals is to step on the wrench instead of using your hands.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

e.pilot posted:

Well that makes the highest point near me look like complete poo poo

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

e.pilot posted:

:eyepop:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Well that makes the highest point near me look like complete poo poo

You’re blocking the entrance :colbert:

Thom ZombieForm
Oct 29, 2010

I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive

Vando posted:

The trick with pedals is to step on the wrench instead of using your hands.

gently caress, should have used this technique last night. It was indeed harrowing to get some seized flats off a friends bike so they could upgrade to the clip in life. Doesn’t look like there was any bike grease applied so hopefully it’s easier next time

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

e.pilot posted:

You’re blocking the entrance :colbert:

I live by my own rules

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The lure of 10,000 meters after you’ve already done 8,848 is too strong to resist.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

The lure of 10,000 meters after you’ve already done 8,848 is too strong to resist.

holy poo poo

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker

:whitewater:

Would not.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Is that AdZ? How many pairs of gloves did you get?

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

Too real.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

Daaaaaaaaaaamn dude

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

no

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

It is. I actually got the wheels the first two times up, which I already had, so you just get XP. I got the helmet like 3 times and gloves the rest.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
You're making me want to have a go at AdZ again today but I'm far too tired for it.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The Venge isn't a climbing bike :mad:

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

it is now

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I did it on a Trek 1.2 :ssh: I had to take off the belt cover on the Kickr so the derailleur didn’t rub when it was in the granny gear.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time

kimbo305 posted:

Any chance you found the bolt set? I was able to dial in the rear brake, but one adjuster bolt on each side is stripped, and one is really close.

Sorry for the delay. No, I did not find the brake parts. I must have included them in the sale when I sold the bike.

I did find a bag of plastic parts for mounting all manner of lights, GPS and cameras to the seat tube and handlebar. You are welcome to those if you want them.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I bought a brand new bike last summer and it's been in storage for the last several months due to the cold weather. I just went to check up on the bike recently and noticed that my back tire has lost a lot of air since I put it in storage while the front tire is still perfectly inflated.

I remember when I first bought the bike I noticed that the rear tire would need to be pumped up at least once a week.

Do you suggest I replace the rear tire or continue riding with my current setup with the intention of just keeping up with filling the tires after every ride?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Busy Bee posted:

I bought a brand new bike last summer and it's been in storage for the last several months due to the cold weather. I just went to check up on the bike recently and noticed that my back tire has lost a lot of air since I put it in storage while the front tire is still perfectly inflated.

I remember when I first bought the bike I noticed that the rear tire would need to be pumped up at least once a week.

Do you suggest I replace the rear tire or continue riding with my current setup with the intention of just keeping up with filling the tires after every ride?

Pump it up and see how much PSI/Bars it loses in a day. If it's minimal I'd just top it off, if it's more or bothering you, replace the tube. You don't need to replace the tire.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Pump it up and see how much PSI/Bars it loses in a day. If it's minimal I'd just top it off, if it's more or bothering you, replace the tube. You don't need to replace the tire.

How do we know that it's the tube that needs to be replaced and not the tire? Or both even?

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

Busy Bee posted:

How do we know that it's the tube that needs to be replaced and not the tire? Or both even?

Tires have wear marks on them, much like car tires. They'll also develop a flat vs. round appearance where more of the rubber tread has been worn away along the middle. Even if you rode over a nail, the tire would likely be fine after you pulled the nail out of course and patched or replaced the tube. Unless it's worn down, dry rotted and cracked, or has a gash in it, the tire should be fine. Especially on a brand new bike that hasn't been ridden.

The tube could have a tiny hole or maybe the valve is leaking ever so slightly.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

PolishPandaBear posted:

Tires have wear marks on them, much like car tires. They'll also develop a flat vs. round appearance where more of the rubber tread has been worn away along the middle. Even if you rode over a nail, the tire would likely be fine after you pulled the nail out of course and patched or replaced the tube. Unless it's worn down, dry rotted and cracked, or has a gash in it, the tire should be fine. Especially on a brand new bike that hasn't been ridden.

The tube could have a tiny hole or maybe the valve is leaking ever so slightly.

Got it - it is a brand new bike that I've ridden maybe ~400 miles on so I'm assuming that it's not the tire. I guess I'll look into getting the tube + valve replaced for peace of mind.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Busy Bee posted:

Got it - it is a brand new bike that I've ridden maybe ~400 miles on so I'm assuming that it's not the tire. I guess I'll look into getting the tube + valve replaced for peace of mind.

Best to learn how to do it yourself - if you're out on a ride and you get a flat, it's much better to repair it yourself at the roadside rather than needing someone to come and give you a lift.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Best to learn how to do it yourself - if you're out on a ride and you get a flat, it's much better to repair it yourself at the roadside rather than needing someone to come and give you a lift.

Agreed. A new tube (valve is built into the tube) and a pair of good tire levers should cost less than $15.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Busy Bee posted:

With a tubed clincher tire setup like you have, any slow leak is going to be the fault of the tube. An old tire isn’t the source of a leak, but the likelihood of getting an inner tube puncture increases as the tread wears thin.

As you said, the bike is new, it’s not the tire. It’s also entirely possible a different, lighter tube was installed at the factory or shop, which loses air faster than a standard tube. For example, a “light” butyl tube would definitely go flat over a couple months. A latex tube would go flat in several days to a week.