Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Yeah the number on the sidewall means "don't ever put more than this in here."

That silca deal gives me numbers pretty close to, but a little higher than what I run, and less of a front/rear split than I like on the road/gravel (mtb and cx I only do 1-2psi difference) Also note that those are measured widths, which differs a bit from what is printed on the side.

My tire advice is to experiment a little, pay attention to how your tires feel when you're riding, and keep track of what you're doing.I have a spreadsheet, because I have a lot of bikes and tires and shocks to keep track of. You want some compliance for comfort and grip, but you need enough pressure to keep from bottoming the rim out on the ground all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Arbite posted:

Looking to buy a gift, what are recommended earpieces for safety and quality? A one ear sound blocker or two which allow ambient noise? It'll be mostly for audiobooks.

Not to poopoo a gift, but for outdoor riding I'd strongly recommend against headphones of any sort. They impair one of a cyclist's best defenses against getting wrecked in traffic.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

bicievino posted:

Not to poopoo a gift, but for outdoor riding I'd strongly recommend against headphones of any sort. They impair one of a cyclist's best defenses against getting wrecked in traffic.

Honestly depends on where you are. I can safely put in tunes on some of my routes, and I know I need to be without or just one ear on others.

If I were buying for audio books, I'd try to find a one ear sort of deal without knowing the specifics of your area

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009
Sup bike goons. I really want to get my first road bike this season and since the weather has turned from frozen to really nice within a week, I feel a strong urge to get it like NOW.

I checked the local bike shops that are open (still under covid lockdown around here) and have a couple models under closer consideration:

Wilier Team GTR Disc (105) for 2250 EUR
Specialized Roubaix (Tiagra) for 2500 EUR
Roubaix Sport (105) for 3000 EUR - might still get a small discount on this one

I did a short test ride on the Specialized and it was comfortable and a really nice bike. I will be trying the Wilier tonight.

Any thoughts from more experienced riders on these models? What's driving the big price difference between the Wilier and the Specialized I am a beginner in road biking but I was doing a lot of XC mountain biking in the past. The 3k for the bike is the upper end for what I want to spend but it's still an ok amount for me right now.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Serendipitaet posted:

Any thoughts from more experienced riders on these models? What's driving the big price difference between the Wilier and the Specialized I am a beginner in road biking but I was doing a lot of XC mountain biking in the past. The 3k for the bike is the upper end for what I want to spend but it's still an ok amount for me right now.

The main differences are the Futureshock, a carbon seatpost and slightly better wheels on the Roubaix.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I wouldn’t get the Tiagra build. 105 is good and gets you into the 11 speed world, which has a lot more easy upgrade opportunities down the road.

Does seem like a pretty big jump on the two 105 models.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Serendipitaet posted:

Sup bike goons. I really want to get my first road bike this season and since the weather has turned from frozen to really nice within a week, I feel a strong urge to get it like NOW.

I checked the local bike shops that are open (still under covid lockdown around here) and have a couple models under closer consideration:

Wilier Team GTR Disc (105) for 2250 EUR
Specialized Roubaix (Tiagra) for 2500 EUR
Roubaix Sport (105) for 3000 EUR - might still get a small discount on this one

I did a short test ride on the Specialized and it was comfortable and a really nice bike. I will be trying the Wilier tonight.

you could spend way less and get an alloy bike with 105 and it would minimally affect your experience as a hobbyist rider

like, it’s your money and your bike and totally get what you want if it’s within your means but also 1000€ is a lot to throw at wheels, saddles, clothes, trainer, etc.

Plus as somebody who doesn’t feel particularly “advanced” myself I’d worry about having a less durable frame material with all the dumb newbie poo poo I’ve done to my bike frames. With carbon I’d be worried about the thing falling over.

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender

Arbite posted:

Looking to buy a gift, what are recommended earpieces for safety and quality? A one ear sound blocker or two which allow ambient noise? It'll be mostly for audiobooks.

I use the Backbeat Fit 3150, which were designed to let in ambient street noise for people exercising. They're separate earbuds, so I can use just one in the city, alternate between them on long rides to charge the other, or use both. My biggest complaint is that they don't blocked more noise when I'm biking along heavy traffic areas like bridges because those are just loud.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

bicievino posted:

It's wicked easy to hear cars while wearing a pair of bluetooth earbuds. If anything, bicycling in the city is easier with them on, because they muffle some of the intensely loud traffic / construction noise.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Safety Dance posted:

It's wicked easy to hear cars while wearing a pair of bluetooth earbuds. If anything, bicycling in the city is easier with them on, because they muffle some of the intensely loud traffic / construction noise.

:chloe:

mystes
May 31, 2006

Safety Dance posted:

I love how doing dangerous stuff is actually safer than doing safe stuff because (waves hands)

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I will never not wear earphones on the way into work, my life is but a small price to pay for not being bored for 90 minutes a day

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Bone conduction headphones are a thing, and work pretty well. I have some aftershockz for commuting and they work fine.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I just wear the headpones in only ear and can still hear traffic just fine.

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009

Ok Comboomer posted:

you could spend way less and get an alloy bike with 105 and it would minimally affect your experience as a hobbyist rider

like, it’s your money and your bike and totally get what you want if it’s within your means but also 1000€ is a lot to throw at wheels, saddles, clothes, trainer, etc.

Plus as somebody who doesn’t feel particularly “advanced” myself I’d worry about having a less durable frame material with all the dumb newbie poo poo I’ve done to my bike frames. With carbon I’d be worried about the thing falling over.

Yeah, I get it and it's a very reasonable point, but there's just not many of them around right now. All local dealers I spoke to are super low on inventory and have their next deliveries scheduled for late spring - which might already be sold before it even hits the store. I have a feeling that the sub 2000 price range has been pretty cleaned out because it's a more natural entry level price point.

I'd rather not buy online/without a having sat on the bike and even if I were willing to do that, there's just no availability right now. I think a lot of people (myself included) got the idea of getting a (road) bike last year and couldn't get one, so there's a lot of pent up demand here.

I hope I can avoid major fuckups / spills by just not pushing too hard and getting used to the bike in the beginning. :)

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Giant Metal Robot posted:

I use the Backbeat Fit 3150, which were designed to let in ambient street noise for people exercising. They're separate earbuds, so I can use just one in the city, alternate between them on long rides to charge the other, or use both. My biggest complaint is that they don't blocked more noise when I'm biking along heavy traffic areas like bridges because those are just loud.

I have the Backbeat Fit 2100, which is a one-piece version of that (connecting strap that goes behind your head, rather than two separate earpieces) and I agree, it works pretty well at letting noise in - I can still hear other cyclists' bells behind me as long as I don't max out the volume. Listening to podcasts next to a roadway doesn't really work since the traffic noise drowns it out, but that seems a price worth paying to be able to hear the things around me. I'm curious about bone conduction headphones but these work well enough that I can't justify buying a different pair yet.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

mystes posted:

I love how doing dangerous stuff is actually safer than doing safe stuff because (waves hands)

Lowering the noise floor allows better perception of other sounds, yes. Riding with earbuds is fine because hearing a vehicle has no effect on the driver hitting you from behind. Deaf people ride bikes too. This argument places blame on the victim for not hearing the murder machine instead of the driver for doing the murdering.

Let's do helmet chat next

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Blotto_Otter posted:

Listening to podcasts next to a roadway doesn't really work since the traffic noise drowns it out, but that seems a price worth paying to be able to hear the things around me. I'm curious about bone conduction headphones but these work well enough that I can't justify buying a different pair yet.
My experience with bone conduction headphones is similar to your description of those ear buds. Works well for music but not so much for podcasts.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I have the newest aftershoks and yeah, they will definitely get drowned out by a busy street. Sound quality is definitely good enough for podcasts, kinda meh for music, and these are supposedly the best ones. Battery life is good and I've had no dropped audio or disconnects

mystes
May 31, 2006

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

Lowering the noise floor allows better perception of other sounds, yes. Riding with earbuds is fine because hearing a vehicle has no effect on the driver hitting you from behind. Deaf people ride bikes too. This argument places blame on the victim for not hearing the murder machine instead of the driver for doing the murdering.

Let's do helmet chat next
Do you you ride with earbuds in with no music playing to "lower the noise floor"? If not, this seems like it might be a slightly disingenuous argument.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Safety Dance posted:

this is the worst name/post combo I’ve ever seen

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

mystes posted:

Do you you ride with earbuds in with no music playing to "lower the noise floor"? If not, this seems like it might be a slightly disingenuous argument.

I ride with a wind-blocking headband over my ears to lower the noise floor. Is it safe to ride with 70db of wind noise hiding the sound of an approaching car? What about 50db of wind noise and a book/podcast?

This is a silly argument. Cars and lack of cycling/pedestrian infrastructure are the problem, not bits in cyclists' ears.

HAIL eSATA-n fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Feb 24, 2021

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

bicievino posted:

In less upbeat news:
Pour one out today for the Alpenrose Velodrome, home of track racing in Portland since 1967, and home to the best leg of the cross crusade.

Damned shame. If you're near a velodrome, go use it. Support it. Enjoy it. Even the ones with great resilient communities aren't immune.
Even if you don't race, once racing is a thing again go have a beer and hoot 'n' holler for the folks who do. It's the purest form of racing around, and surprisingly accessible as an in-person spectator sport.

This is 100% truth. The Velodrome community in my city (San Diego) is so incredibly fun and welcoming, the racing nights (Tuesdays and Fridays) draw big crowds of people (during non COVID times) enjoying the night out in the park with friends. It has really been an incredible part of my life for the last 10+ years and has made my life measurably better, and from what I can tell, it’s the same at all the tracks around the country. Can’t wait for it to be back!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

I ride with a wind-blocking headband over my ears to lower the noise floor.

I've certainly noticed that my ears ring less after a windy day when I have a buff over my ears in the winter.
Ignoring the music and traffic stuff, I'ved wondered if there's any long term hearing damage like with covertibles.
https://cyclingtips.com/2017/08/listen-cyclists-risk-hearing-loss/

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

mystes posted:

I have done this. I also have regretted not doing this.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

This is a silly argument. Cars and lack of cycling/pedestrian infrastructure are the problem, not bits in cyclists' ears.

Yeah it really sucks and its a huge problem, but you don't have to feed yourself to the meat grinder about it.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Arbite posted:

I really like the Skullcandy Smokin' Buds 2 Wireless Earbuds :2bong:

https://www.skullcandy.com/shop/earbuds/bluetooth-earbuds/smokin-buds-2-wireless

Price is right, sound quality is good, battery life has never been an issue, and it's not "true wireless" so you arn't going to have one go missing on you and it tucks nicely in a jersey. Mine have been durable enough but the wire is finally exposed after a 3+ years. Going to buy another pair.

I only listen to techno tunes while riding but I was watching some motorcycle videos last night and the guy mentioned that audio books can tax the spatial cognitive area of the brain that is also depended on while driving. Never really thought about that but I don't listen to pod casts or audio books and then again cycling is decidedly slower than a motorcycle. And by the way you can totally hear engines, tires, and horns no matter what, cars are noisy as gently caress and your head should be a on a swivel any ways.

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Feb 24, 2021

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

MetaJew posted:

Absolutely gorgeous! I can't tell from the earlier posts, but which model is that? It doesn't look like a Topstone to me?

Cheers! It's the 2021 Topstone 2 Alloy - the colour is called Rainbow Trout.

https://www.cannondale.com/en-gb/bikes/road/gravel/topstone-alloy/topstone-2

I was being a bit cagey about it as I didn't want to get excited and then have my hopes dashed.

Biggus Duckus posted:

I don't have experience with them, but the bone conduction headphones sound pretty cool for cycling. Maybe someone has used them?

I have a pair of the Aeropex Aftershokz and they're bloody great for me. I do long rides listening to podcasts+audiobooks and the Aftershokz leave your actual earholes free to hear traffic and nature.

They're sweatproof and waterproof, i've worn them in the bath and the shower, done sauna and swam in pools with them (head above water - bluetooth doesn't work underwater!).

100% will recommend, would buy again.

meltie fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Feb 24, 2021

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
As jamal mentioned, the silca tire pressure calculator is good, but tends to give me higher pressures than I like to run. I like the SRAM tire pressure calculator maybe better?
https://axs.sram.com/guides/tire/pressure

It doesn't make you give info to upgrade before you include factors like wheel size, rim width, clincher/tubeless, and road conditions either. It gives me numbers that are decently lower than I've been running, and once I'm off the rollers and back on pavement this spring I'm going to give those pressures a shot.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

meltie posted:

Cheers! It's the 2021 Topstone 2 Alloy - the colour is called Rainbow Trout.

https://www.cannondale.com/en-gb/bikes/road/gravel/topstone-alloy/topstone-2

Ah, apparently not sold in the US. There's a Topstone Carbon that comes in "purple", but didn't see anything in 'Rainbow Trout'.

I think a big motivating factor in buying a new bike at retail price is getting one in a good color. I got really lucky that Specialized let me warranty my 2005 Allez Elite due to a cracked frame, and they gave me a brand new 2021 Allez Elite in a fairly good color. I'll take a "free" bike any day, but that doesn't mean I don't want to get a gravel bike in a high-viz yellow/orange/green or something like the Specialized S-Works colorshift paints-- except that I'm way too casual of a rider to drop S-works level money.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

It is confusing me to see that (very lovely) color called rainbow trout, because I'm pretty sure my bike's paint job is rainbow trout.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

bicievino posted:

It is confusing me to see that (very lovely) color called rainbow trout, because I'm pretty sure my bike's paint job is rainbow trout.

It's definitely a better name for your bike than the Cannondale!

Gorgeous paintjob there.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
what time is it? it's...

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

This argument places blame on the victim for not hearing the murder machine instead of the driver for doing the murdering.

I'm not going to debate the relative safety of wearing headphones or not, but no, this argument does not place blame on the victim. There is a concrete difference between recommending someone not do X in order to avoid Y, vs blaming someone for Y because they did X. Just like I can advise someone to avoid a particular street on their bicycle while also not blaming a cyclist in an accident on that street "because they shouldn't have been on it in the first place." I know the OP you're responding to, and he would especially not be one to blame a headphone wearing victim in an accident.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Taiwan looks cute as heck

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Steve French posted:

I'm not going to debate the relative safety of wearing headphones or not, but no, this argument does not place blame on the victim. There is a concrete difference between recommending someone not do X in order to avoid Y, vs blaming someone for Y because they did X. Just like I can advise someone to avoid a particular street on their bicycle while also not blaming a cyclist in an accident on that street "because they shouldn't have been on it in the first place." I know the OP you're responding to, and he would especially not be one to blame a headphone wearing victim in an accident.

Yeah you're right and I'm bad at words.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Just do music/podcast in right ear. What’s the issue with that?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Apropos of the Topstone, and gravel bikes in general— it looks like GT had to kill their entire road/gravel lineup for a second (third?) time? Even tho the carbon Grade got like all the awards? Is there a story out there behind it? Simply Covid? A glut of options?

I guess it was never smart to have two subgroups of basically the same company competing directly with each other using wildly different technologies to achieve virtually the same result.

It made for really confusing reading: Topstone or Grade? Idk. How do you feel about the carbon bending around a jointed pivot point? *shrug* How do you feel about the carbon bending but there’s no pivot point? *shrug*

I always thought the Grade was a much prettier bike than the Topstone, but Cannondale’s road pedigree is exponentially deeper than GT’s so it makes perfect sense where you would make cuts. Makes me sad, two of my road frames are/were GT.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

n8r posted:

Just do music/podcast in right ear. What’s the issue with that?
i just hang my bose bluetooth speaker around my neck like flavor flav

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

numberoneposter posted:

i just hang my bose bluetooth speaker around my neck like flavor flav

I've seen people ride trails around here with a speaker bungied to the handlebars, seems like a good system.