Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Don't drill your frame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Use a punch and a hammer instead obv

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

These old Italian dudes seem pretty chill with drilling it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tijgNEqBfh4

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Just go wireless I’m begging you

Goonwell.txt

Mr. Toodles
Jun 22, 2004

I support prison abolition, except for posters without avatars.
Not sure if anyone lives in or around Durango, CO, but the city is auctioning some bikes on govdeals and this one is a screaming deal for a niner cx bike with zipp wheels. Couple of days left, in case anyone was looking.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

These old Italian dudes seem pretty chill with drilling it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tijgNEqBfh4

Note the 2014 date on that vid, along with the disc brakes. Despite being old established European brand, Colnago was a very early to accept the road disc concept, and if I remember correctly, they got a lot of grief over it at the time.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

madey posted:

I seem to have a tendency of of getting some strain in my left Achilles on long rides. I have booked a bike fit to try to alleviate the issue but it is not for a month, is this a common problem that I can adjust for in the meantime?
For me, having the saddle too high results in achilles stress because the calf remains under tension through the entire revolution. I've also heard that pushing your cleats all the way back on your shoes can help too.

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog

Cat rear end Trophy posted:

Note the 2014 date on that vid, along with the disc brakes. Despite being old established European brand, Colnago was a very early to accept the road disc concept, and if I remember correctly, they got a lot of grief over it at the time.

Yup, they did get a lot of flack for it.

Just like they did when they made an all carbon fibre race frame with the C40.

And that worked out great for them.

I am not a brand loyalist or anything but Colnago always gets poo poo on for being super expensive or "all flash and no substance" but they are a fairly progressive company, as far as cycling goes.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Wiggle are sold out of left DI2 shifters and everyone else has them at ridiculous prices. Release the evergiven

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Just go wireless I’m begging you

Goonwell.txt

My Nonno's Tullio and Ernesto will watch over me and protect me

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
You're gonna scrap your frame.

The picture you posted of the cable version looks like it's moulded differently around the cable hole.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Admit mistake was made and Sell frame to buy correct frame, or stubbornly stick to guns and trash/shorten life of frame and lose lots of money but [fixed grin] “ha ha it was a risk I was prepared to make” (internal sad face)?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
You should drill it then throw the drill on the floor so you cant be arrested for it.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

just hot glue the derailleurs to the frame

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Maybe call a frame repair shop and see what they think. Hell see if they will drill it for you. I think you’ll be fine. Just send it.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIČRE IN ME
the downside to all of this is if he drills it and it doesn't fail we'll just see the posting "well it hasn't failed :smugdog: and if it does fail then he'll be dead and we'll never get an update

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Levitate posted:

the downside to all of this is if he drills it and it doesn't fail we'll just see the posting "well it hasn't failed :smugdog: and if it does fail then he'll be dead and we'll never get an update

if he can’t admit he was wrong about buying the wrong frame and either resell it or buy wireless to go with it he sure isn’t gonna admit drilling it was a bad idea

Development
Jun 2, 2016

Less drill more eTap before you regret it :shittypop:

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Single speed that poo poo you goddamn wuss

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I've changed my mind drilling is fine just fill the hole with jbweld once the cable housing is in to reinforce it.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY
Listen, you wanted a light frame. make it lighter

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

You're gonna scrap your frame.

The picture you posted of the cable version looks like it's moulded differently around the cable hole.

I'm less worried about the ST than the chainstay or HT.

Development posted:

Less drill more eTap before you regret it :shittypop:

Why would he downgrade his groupset.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

a patagonian cavy posted:

Listen, you wanted a light frame. make it lighter

Hell yeah why stop with a couple holes. Drillium that signore so it looks a like a nice ciabatta

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I dunno about drilling frames but those old Italian guys did it so why can’t you

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
because they did it with an end mill?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

~~~speed holes~~~

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
Sounds like OP needs to find an old Italian guy and let him worry about the details.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
being unemployed does this yourself

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

He claims that they told him that it was the way that Jumbo Visma did it, which lead to a long series of pictures in the groupchat of people showing it under the saddle

He then emailed Bianchi who said "Yes, it should be under the saddle. Find someone to sort it out for you." which by the standards of Italian customer service is going above and beyond.

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

My lbs drills frames all the time, but then again they are certified by all the brands they represent (Colnago being one of those) and have decades of experience. I've had 2 frames drilled by them to install an external di2 battery, one of those wasnt even designed for di2. They reinforce the holes with o-rings of some kind (metal or alum I guess).

Would I drill it myself with my dremel? Nope.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
Rival AXS just dropped so maybe speed holes can be averted?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Pretty sure if you put Rival level components on a c60 the mafioso types get an alert

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Drilling? not a problem.
Below Super Record tier? Mix the concrete.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

French Canadian posted:

Rival AXS just dropped so maybe speed holes can be averted?

Nice.

Is there a huge difference between the available 48/35 chainring compared to what I normally use at 50/34 for road use? Seems like they’re mainly trying to target gravel but what do I know.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Evo cranks? No, I said EVOO cranks

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

nwin posted:

Nice.

Is there a huge difference between the available 48/35 chainring compared to what I normally use at 50/34 for road use? Seems like they’re mainly trying to target gravel but what do I know.

There’s a 10 tooth cog in the back so 48x10 is a higher ratio than 50x11.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

There’s a 10 tooth cog in the back so 48x10 is a higher ratio than 50x11.

Assuming the wheel supports XDR.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
If I want some cycling shoes, but I am also a frugal hypebeast that wants cycling shoes in a loud or cool color, and a size 45/US11, are there any good websites to search for clearance shoes from a previous model year?

Giro has some neat shoes in their sale section for cheap, but of course they are all in very small sizes.

I think I'm looking for a gravel/mtb ish shoe to run SPD pedals for practicality reasons.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

MetaJew posted:

If I want some cycling shoes, but I am also a frugal hypebeast that wants cycling shoes in a loud or cool color, and a size 45/US11, are there any good websites to search for clearance shoes from a previous model year?

Giro has some neat shoes in their sale section for cheap, but of course they are all in very small sizes.

I think I'm looking for a gravel/mtb ish shoe to run SPD pedals for practicality reasons.

You want these? They're a little long for 11 (I'm 11 and very wide, so these 46 are long and still a bit narrow), but I've had them sitting around forever telling myself I'd sell them off.
https://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/scott-mtb-prowl-r-rs-cycling-shoes-2017-p315574/s529550

In my mind, I think of them as Star Wars colors, but I can't point to a particular ship/outfit that matches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Dren posted:

if he can’t admit he was wrong about buying the wrong frame and either resell it or buy wireless to go with it he sure isn’t gonna admit drilling it was a bad idea

It's not the wrong frame. It comes as mechanical/electronic or electronic only. This doesn't have the routing for mechanical but does have the hole for the RD. There's plenty of people who've made holes in old colnago frames for electronic gearing and they are known for building strong but heavy carbon frames.

I'm not going to disgrace it by putting on a different groupset on it because I've already got super record (apart from the crank) EPS V3 ready to go and I'm not going to downgrade