Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Shadowhand00 posted:

I haven’t tried the Super Fuel yet on anything >100km (baby care takes top priority so I won’t be able to test until next year) but it seems to do the trick for any potential stomach issues. It is definitely one of the least sugary drinks I’ve tried; just wish it would come in packs for easier transportation. I suppose the lack of sugar is a big reason why a single ~350cal serving is 7 scoops vs. something like hydration mix being 4 scoops (iirc).

I usually do 1.5 scoops of the hydration mix for a largeish bottle. Packs would be nice for the super fuel but a ziplock sandwich bag works easily enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
alright I put my new stages power meter on but I have no idea if I put too much or too little preload on it...here's a video of me spinning it

https://imgur.com/a/q9VwwUt

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
That looks pretty normal for a threaded bb.

You really don't need much torque for the cap - if you go too big then getting it off can be a nightmare.

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009
Thanks for all the food tips, everyone. :)

serious gaylord posted:

Pre open your bars. Also have 2 bottles.

I sweat A LOT... I already have the two biggest bottles I can fit on my frame and on a warm/humid day I drain them pretty quickly.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
I had to race against daylight tonight and overexerted myself pretty badly. Does anyone have any tips for dealing with the nausea? (I know, I should've prevented it by fueling properly and honestly if there's not much to be done afterwards that's fine, just curious if there is. I always fuel properly and was doing alright today, but I ended up going way too hard because I stressed about the sun setting faster than I anticipated :()

The upside is I have a new goal as I only missed out on riding 100k in under 3 hours by 6 minutes (which I'll be honest are numbers I'm proud of as it stands) so with proper nutrition and by taking a break next time I think I'll be able to achieve something that seemed ludicrous back in spring. Pretty psyched about that prospect :) I should add there's next to zero elevation on this ride though, only about 100m, but who cares!

e: oh, also! I pre-opened my bars for the first time tonight - can't believe I never thought of that - and holy poo poo what a difference that makes, such an effective tip

Lex Neville fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jul 23, 2021

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

MrL_JaKiri posted:

That looks pretty normal for a threaded bb.

You really don't need much torque for the cap - if you go too big then getting it off can be a nightmare.

thanks.

I didn't do it too hard but I imagine you can't really go too tight if you are just using the little handheld tool that screws the cap in

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Captain Log posted:

BRB going to return these to Amazon for literally anything else in a US 13.

If for some reason you are really attached to the fit on those shoes…

https://www.rei.com/product/135149/shimano-sm-sh41-spd-cleat-adapters

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Man google fit is pretty piss poor at estimating calories burned while biking. I spent most of those bike ride climbing a 75 meter hill and maintaining a 160 plus heart rate and it says I burned 100 calories?

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
100kcal for 20 mins of what is prob zone 2/3ish effort unless you're over 50 seems about right really

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Sounds pretty accurate

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

But also, yes, all heartrate-based calorie estimation is fuckin' garbage for cycling.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Although it usually overestimates!

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Vando posted:

100kcal for 20 mins of what is prob zone 2/3ish effort unless you're over 50 seems about right really

Yeah you got to bike quite a bit longer/harder than 5km / 20 min to really get the calories burning. That's a warm up.

It's a good start if you're just getting into cycling though!

Also yes heartrate based calorie burn estimates are not very good, but that's just not that hard of an effort so 100 is probably in the ballpark, ish.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Easiest/quickest way to figure out what HR corresponds to what level of effort is the next time you feel like you have to stop or throw up, note down the highest recorded HR. That's your max HR now.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
You should actually do a lactate threshold test instead then base zones off that

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Vando posted:

I don't think it was that light of a ride. There were two major hill climbs. One 7% over about a half a kilometer and and another at 3.5% over just shy of a kilometer. Those seems like pretty decent climbs over a ~10 minute period.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Definitely don't think folks are intending to diminish how hard it was for you, but generally speaking a 20 minute ride even if straight up a hill just isn't going to burn that many calories. Cycling is too efficient in that regards, compared to say running.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

121 miles today, probably my longest to date. Didn't eat nearly enough but pleasantly surprised I was able to maintain my starting pace all the way through. Also got quite sunburned because I'm an idiot. Hooray for gravel grinds on rail trails!

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Vando posted:

Although it usually overestimates!

Unless you’re a reptile like me.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Vando posted:

Easiest/quickest way to figure out what HR corresponds to what level of effort is the next time you feel like you have to stop or throw up, note down the highest recorded HR. That's your max HR now.

Not quite. Do 3min at a slightly uncomfortable pace (just above threshold.) Then go balls out on a long ~30s sprint until your legs cannot physically turn the pedals over. Also don’t do this if you already have a bunch of mileage from the past few days, your heart is just like any muscle and can’t work as hard if it is chronically fatigued.

And also what vikingstrike said. Approximated by doing a max 30min effort and taking the average of your last 20min. If your HR isn’t basically flat in that section, you’ve done it wrong.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
well i removed my pedals, pulled the crank and spindle, cleaned off the crank/spindle and inside the bottom bracket, regreased it, put power meter on and new regreased and tightened up the pedals really good and i'm still hearing/feeling the click :v:

guess i'll pull the pedals off my wife's bike and swap those on and see if that is the cause.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

BraveUlysses posted:

well i removed my pedals, pulled the crank and spindle, cleaned off the crank/spindle and inside the bottom bracket, regreased it, put power meter on and new regreased and tightened up the pedals really good and i'm still hearing/feeling the click :v:

guess i'll pull the pedals off my wife's bike and swap those on and see if that is the cause.

Does it click pedaling backwards? Shoelace tip hitting the down tube?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Could be cleats? I’d switch to flat pedals and trainers.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I usually have cycling shoes so no lace interference, but I did try it tonight without cleats on and I heard it.

it doesn't make the sound when I have it in the workstand and try spinning the pedals with my hands. it definitely needs to have some load applied to the pedal for me to hear it.

I can hear it sitting or standing on the pedals.

I haven't tried pedaling backwards yet

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
What about only clipping and pedaling on the left or right? Does it only happen on one side?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

I'm curious about calories and heart rate.

First off, are we talking active calories or total calories? My Apple Watch measures them both, so I have no idea if that's a standard thing.

For calorie and heart rate, what would be bad/average/good/godly per hour? Is per hour the normal measurement?

Does resting heart rate factor in to it?

Also, my new stationary bike came with a heart rate bicep strap. Any reason to use that over my watch? My watch has an EKG thing, so I'd think it's at least halfway decent.

Disclaimer - I have no clue what I'm talking about. Ever.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
To absolutely maximise your workout then you would do Hiit (High-intensity interval training) - on the exercise bike we used the couch to 5k running apps but just peddled like mad.

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009

Captain Log posted:

First off, are we talking active calories or total calories? My Apple Watch measures them both, so I have no idea if that's a standard thing.

For calorie and heart rate, what would be bad/average/good/godly per hour? Is per hour the normal measurement?

Does resting heart rate factor in to it?

Also, my new stationary bike came with a heart rate bicep strap. Any reason to use that over my watch? My watch has an EKG thing, so I'd think it's at least halfway decent.

Disclaimer - I have no clue what I'm talking about. Ever.

Fitness trackers and smart watches will estimate your total calories burned by taking your estimated basal metabolic rate (BMR) and combining it with an estimate of how much energy you expended being active. The BMR is an estimation of your energy expenditure at rest, i.e. without doing any exercise or activity. This is done using a formula based on your height, weight and age. "Active calories" are then calculated based on how active you are. I believe that most basic fitness trackers will simply try to measure how many steps you take and use a formula to estimate the energy expenditure for that, with your age, weight and height again being used as moderating factors. If you are tracking a workout, i.e. telling your watch that you're cycling or running, and recording your heart rate during that workout, it will most likely use a formula for estimating the calories burned taking into account the heart rate (again modified by your age and weight) and the duration of the exercise. It could be, but this is just me speculating, that certain apps have sport-specific calorie estimation functions.

In essence, all of these apps produce garbage numbers, so you shouldn't trust your watch to say that you burned 1000kcal and take that as an accurate number (as in, I my calorie deficit is X kcal and I will therefore lose Y lbs per week or I can eat 800kcal worth of Oreos and still have a 200kcal deficit). The watch has no means of making direct observations of your metabolism (e.g. by analyzing your blood or breathing gases).

That said, I still feel great when Strava says I burned 4000kcal and find it motivating and there's nothing wrong with that. :)

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

serious gaylord posted:

Pre open your bars.

Don't try the stroopwafel equivalent of this (unless you like soggy salted caramel)

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

I usually have cycling shoes so no lace interference, but I did try it tonight without cleats on and I heard it.

it doesn't make the sound when I have it in the workstand and try spinning the pedals with my hands. it definitely needs to have some load applied to the pedal for me to hear it.

I can hear it sitting or standing on the pedals.

I haven't tried pedaling backwards yet

Is it QR? Try undoing it and cleaning where the skewer ends clamp on the frame and making sure it’s tight enough.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Is it QR? Try undoing it and cleaning where the skewer ends clamp on the frame and making sure it’s tight enough.

has anyone in here used gels on their long rides? I am thinking of using em to complement the usual snacks.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

BraveUlysses posted:

Did you already rule out the saddle? Could also be spokes rubbing against each other. Did you say it was happening in both chain rings?

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
Food stuff
Somebody here suggested doing flapjacks a lot of pages ago, I finaly gave it a few try and I can confirm this is awesome nutrition and is very easy to do.
Also the recipes seems very open to adaptation: more or less fat, more or less suggar, cooking time, so you can make a lot of variation and you will have a hard time ending up with something bad.

I also tried those with bannana as filler and it end up more like a cake than a energy bar but it is still good stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMJEIiWV3VQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bTH-isW6Wk

You can seriously cut the fat compared most flapjack recipes you find online, I went as low as 250g Oats, 100g sugar, and 50g butter (+some honey, dried fruits and seeds) and it ended up good.

All in all it probably take 15minutes including washing up and 20-30minutes cooking time.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

spf3million posted:

Did you already rule out the saddle? Could also be spokes rubbing against each other. Did you say it was happening in both chain rings?

yeah i checked the saddle (and it makes the sound regardless of sitting or standing)

switched my wheels out for the 700c set and it's still doing it.

yes, sound can be heard in both chain rings.

i just bought a new bottom bracket and park tool to install it...will do tomorrow!

im gonna ignore the sound today and ride anyway because i havent rode since sunday and i need to get out :v:

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
It still sounds like your rear derailleur to me.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Krogort posted:

Food stuff

Another one for you:

You can blend oats to make oat flour and use it for very filling pancakes, if you want to make them super powered then add a few scoops of protein powder. The good thing about this is that you can’t taste the protein powder.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
Once I had an intermittent creaking noise. It only happened under load and only on the drive side. I tried everything and nothing solved it. I rode with that creaking for a couple years. By pure happenstance my lbs came across the source. My bike is sorta a split frame and the bolt that held the chain stay and seat stay together had sheered. The only way to know was to have the rear wheel off the bike and be physically pulling those two pieces apart. Pretty happy to solve the problem; a little weirded out that I was probably riding a broken frame for a couple of years.

So it might be worth getting the frame inspected for integrity if you've done everything else and there's still a phantom noise. Just to make sure there's no cracks or whatever hiding somewhere.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Captain Log posted:

Power is the thing you can measure directly, so that's normally what we talk about in these kinds of conversations.

Your max heart rate is more of a physiological fact about you rather than a trainable thing - what you can train is how much work you can do and for how long at various percentages of that max. So you can't really say this or that heart rate is good or bad outside of that bigger picture. My max rate is higher than a lot of others, but it says nothing about my strength on a bike compared to them.

As for calories, the estimates are all over the place. Garmin I think will give you something like 800 calories an hour for an "hard" ride. Right now I wouldn't even get to that in an hour long time trial, but bigger stronger people could - this is based on power output measured on a trainer. I don't have a power meter on outdoor rides, but I'd ballpark it for me at about 400 calories an hour for riding around at a moderate pace. But I don't think you're supposed to do the calorie bank account thing where you size the pizza based on how hard of a ride you did!

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Albinator gets to the heart of why heart rate is awful for calorie burn estimation on a bike. As you get fitter, you burn more calories with the exact same heart rate. Unlike running, you can't use pace, either, because of drafting and aerodynamics. Essentially, you need power data.

As they said, the algorithms rely on weight, age, and bell curves. I'll use my data as an example.
I'm 35-39, weigh 180 lbs, and have an ftp of 280. The absolute most calories I can burn in an hour is right around 1000, and to do that my heart rate will be pegged at 180bpm.

An untrained average person with the same weight/age can also go for an hour at 180bpm, but doing the same all-out effort will only burn about 430 calories in the same hour.

A pro-level cyclist with the same age/weight (granted, there aren't many at my weight) will burn as much as 1500 calories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

I really appreciate the insight to fitness trackers and why they aren't great. When I started losing weight a couple years back, I was 218 pounds at five foot eleven. I got down to 158, but looked like a gross bobblehead. I've leveled off at 170 for the past year and like it. I've used the Apple Watch through all of it, so I feel like it gives me good guidance. But I can see it as not being a precision tool.

But for a guy who used to have high blood pressure and a resting heart rate of 80-90bpm, my resting heart rate is sub-50bpm now. With that in mind, I don't feel too awful when I cap out a 140ish.