Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

skudmunky posted:

Counterpoint: maintaining and adjusting a triple sucks and nobody should be subjected to it. Also your chain is actually drooping to the pavement? :staredog:

It’s fine, doesn’t need touching often at all.
And still the only good choice for touring anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!
Low key wanting to put a double or triple onto my cruiser actuated by an out of the way friction shifter

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Jestery posted:

Low key wanting to put a double or triple onto my cruiser actuated by an out of the way friction shifter

Why stop there? Check out the "mountain tamer" 4x drivetrain. Imagine an alternate world where campagnolo is releasing a new 13x front mech - new bifurcated bottom bracket technology puts your chain ring in the exact center of the bike!

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004
2x/1x is great and all but triples are by far the cheapest way to get sub 1:1 gearing on most bikes. If you're looking to ride a heavy bike up a steep hill, you're going to pay a lot more for an equivalent range, especially once you start pricing out subcompact chainrings and giant cassettes. Bonus for going cheap: triples are much easier to adjust on 3x8 or 3x9 than 10 or 11 speed and then you basically never touch them again with friction shifters.

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

Salt Fish posted:

Why stop there? Check out the "mountain tamer" 4x drivetrain. Imagine an alternate world where campagnolo is releasing a new 13x front mech - new bifurcated bottom bracket technology puts your chain ring in the exact center of the bike!

4x is old. 5x is the new way https://www.renehersecycles.com/compass-introduces-quintuple-cranks/

Mountain Tamer is no longer available - http://abundantadventures.com/quads.html

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
"Front derailleurs are in the works – in the mean time, you can ask your builder to make a custom one, or just move the chain by hand".

I'm sold!

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS
At the risk of fanning the flames, could you literally climb anything with the 630% or whatever range on a Pinion? Is that the ultimate “1x” setup?

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

eeenmachine posted:

At the risk of fanning the flames, could you literally climb anything with the 630% or whatever range on a Pinion? Is that the ultimate “1x” setup?

There comes a point where it's quicker to walk.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret
I want to build a tandem with a rohloff hub just to compare it against my current 3x9 setup, but that is an expensive experiment.

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004

Salt Fish posted:

"Front derailleurs are in the works – in the mean time, you can ask your builder to make a custom one, or just move the chain by hand".

I'm sold!

check the date

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

SimonSays posted:

And a point when you’re going too slow to balance anyway.

I’ve actually come across steep enough roads (Dorset, Lake District) that in wet winter conditions it was actually as hard to walk up them than cycle. And certainly in cycling shoes.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

SimonSays posted:

That and at a certain point it’s nearly impossible to maintain enough power to propel yourself forward at a speed fast enough that you don’t simply fall over.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS
Right. I suppose the bigger advantage is having a much higher top speed than other bikes that can climb as well then?

BaiSha
Jul 9, 2012
I'm not sure if this is a question with much of an answer, but I'm putting a fixed gear together and I just ordered a crank. The seller isn't saying what size of axel it needs, though (this is a basic square taper pagan crank). Is there a common size that would work as a best guess so I can get everything finished up asap? or are these things all over the map in terms of Q factor?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

BaiSha posted:

I'm not sure if this is a question with much of an answer, but I'm putting a fixed gear together and I just ordered a crank. The seller isn't saying what size of axel it needs, though (this is a basic square taper pagan crank). Is there a common size that would work as a best guess so I can get everything finished up asap? or are these things all over the map in terms of Q factor?

Are you asking what spindle length you’d need for your square taper bottom bracket? Depends on the bike and the Q factor desired. What’s the frame?

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

BaiSha posted:

Depends on the frame yeah, but the manufacturer typically has a recommendation. If not you just gently caress around with BBs and find something that works

Walrusmaster
Sep 21, 2009
I don't know who needs to know this, but I found out that a standard carpenter's pencil is the perfect size to remove the left side preload bolt on Shimano hollowtech II cranks.

This (accidental) solution turned out way better than the other options of: big screwdriver, small chisel, Allen key turned sideways, pinky finger (mine), pinky finger (wife's), and yelling at it.

BaiSha
Jul 9, 2012
I was hoping I could shortcut my way through the "goof around with different BBs" stage of things. Frame is a Springer Pantone if anyone knows those. Is there some standardization in crankset width? Sounds like I can figure something out by taking to the frame seller

wibble
May 20, 2001
Meep meep

kimbo305 posted:

Is your order a frame or whole build?

A whole bike.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

BaiSha posted:

I was hoping I could shortcut my way through the "goof around with different BBs" stage of things. Frame is a Springer Pantone if anyone knows those. Is there some standardization in crankset width? Sounds like I can figure something out by taking to the frame seller

The AliExpress site suggests to use 103-118mm spindle lengths. That’s a pretty huge range, I’d probably stick something around 107-110 on there.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

BaiSha posted:

standardization in crankset width

Lmao

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009
Since it's a fixie you also probably want the same chainline with the chainring and the cog. This depends first on the rear hub and then on the crank but I think 42mm is most common. The frame can be a limit on this by preventing the cranks from turning with the "correct" bb axle length.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

BaiSha posted:

There are a few variables you need to know:
1) Rear hub spacing: the universal standard is 120mm, but some fixie bikes are spaced at 130 or 135 for dumb reasons.
2) Crank taper: this is based on the brand of your crankset. For modern stuff, it's either ISO (most) or JIS (Sugino, Shimano, a few others).
3) the bottom bracket: unless you got something weird this is a 68mm BSA.

Assuming all else is normal, 103mm is standard for JIS, and 107mm for ISO.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

MarxCarl posted:

Mountain Tamer is no longer available - http://abundantadventures.com/quads.html

To my great surprise I saw the message "Last update 1/21/2022" at the bottom

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Just got my email through about my LEL place, so a good time to put in my first 100k ride of the year (and at about 20% more power than my previous "longer" rides post-accident)

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
anyone have recommendations for 650 gravel tires? ive been on WTB byways for a while now and i think i'd prefer to get something knobbier and not WTB.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

BraveUlysses posted:

anyone have recommendations for 650 gravel tires? ive been on WTB byways for a while now and i think i'd prefer to get something knobbier and not WTB.

I don't know much about gravel but I do know that what tyres you want are incredibly dependent on what kind of surfaces you're riding on, so please give a brief description to help those who know more than me when they post later

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

BaiSha posted:

I was hoping I could shortcut my way through the "goof around with different BBs" stage of things.

Nobody gets off this easy :colbert:

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

BraveUlysses posted:

American Classic Aggregate have been fine (40 or 50mm)
Maxxis Rambler in 47 if you want a bit lighter, a bit posher, and twice as expensive.

BaiSha
Jul 9, 2012

bicievino posted:

There are a few variables you need to know:
1) Rear hub spacing: the universal standard is 120mm, but some fixie bikes are spaced at 130 or 135 for dumb reasons.
2) Crank taper: this is based on the brand of your crankset. For modern stuff, it's either ISO (most) or JIS (Sugino, Shimano, a few others).
3) the bottom bracket: unless you got something weird this is a 68mm BSA.

Assuming all else is normal, 103mm is standard for JIS, and 107mm for ISO.

This was really helpful, thanks! BB shell and rear hub are the standard 68/120mm, and I don't think they were going too crazy with the design on any of these parts. I'll pick up a few cheap BBs and see what fits before I grab a nice one.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

SimonSays posted:

On my recumbent I have a 1st gear that I use maybe once a year, a 24/34 (26” wheels) At that point I’m going 2.5mph. My grade limit is when I lose “steering authority” because the front wheel gets unweighted.

Still, pedaling at 2.5 is easier than walking 35lbs of bike+gear up a hill.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

Donnelly MSOs are nice and thiccc if you get the 650x50

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I generally liked my ramblers. Not very aggressive tread but more than a byway Pretty smooth and fast and supple. Not great puncture resistance or durability. Center of tread wears pretty fast, mine were toast by early summer after putting them on in the spring last year and had a few patches in them.

And there's always the gravel king.

jamal fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jan 21, 2022

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I don't know much about gravel but I do know that what tyres you want are incredibly dependent on what kind of surfaces you're riding on, so please give a brief description to help those who know more than me when they post later

mostly hardpack with loose gravel on top which has been mostly ok

sweat poteto posted:

American Classic Aggregate have been fine (40 or 50mm)
Maxxis Rambler in 47 if you want a bit lighter, a bit posher, and twice as expensive.

ramblers look good but i'm curious about the conti trail speeds, since they come in a 40. while i can do 47mm no prob i think i might try a skinnier setup and see if that gets a better balance of improving speed at the cost of a bit of plushness

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Donnelly MSOs are nice and thiccc if you get the 650x50

i have a set of those in 700x35 but i'm not so sure i liked them that much

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
conti trails are fast af

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

amenenema posted:

1x is great, so is 2x, but here's an additional benefit of 2x in my experience: On a monstercross/burly gravel bike a 2x setup basically gives you a road 1x and a singletrack 1x.
This was my last MTB. One ring for up, one ring for down, let's go

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

BraveUlysses posted:

ramblers look good but i'm curious about the conti trail speeds, since they come in a 40. while i can do 47mm no prob i think i might try a skinnier setup and see if that gets a better balance of improving speed at the cost of a bit of plushness

If it wasn't for the no-WTB constraint I'd suggest the Resolute. I had those before the Ramblers.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

The road biking is kind of poo poo in nw NM compared to Denver so I decided to buy a mountain bike. I'm a 5'6" manlet and wanted to go with 27.5 tires but supply chain issues and being in the middle of nowhere means I take what I can get, which ended up being a Stumpjumper Comp Alloy.

It's cool and all but I think I'm just a roadie at heart. Hopefully it continues to grow on me. I do wonder if there's any kind of correlation between introversion and road biking, and extroversion and mountain biking.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Not in my personal experience -- I like riding trails by myself just fine. For me it's more technically demanding at a much lower safety threshold. That is, you can have a bike handling challenge at 10mph on the trail and might still be bored at 25mph on the road. Not that 10mph is automatically safe for mtb, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

regulargonzalez posted:

The road biking is kind of poo poo in nw NM compared to Denver so I decided to buy a mountain bike. I'm a 5'6" manlet and wanted to go with 27.5 tires but supply chain issues and being in the middle of nowhere means I take what I can get, which ended up being a Stumpjumper Comp Alloy.

It's cool and all but I think I'm just a roadie at heart. Hopefully it continues to grow on me. I do wonder if there's any kind of correlation between introversion and road biking, and extroversion and mountain biking.

I’m a long time roadie getting into MTB, mostly because my wife is a nature freak and loves getting out into the woods, and my feeling is that I miss the feeling of just getting into an efficient groove and just pedaling for a long time when I MTB compared to road riding. On the MTB im always stopping and starting and have to be really focused on the immediate piece of trail I’m on, rather than focusing on a longer distance and timespan that I get on the road.