Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

LoudPipesSaveLives posted:

The soapy water trick is definitely a+ advice. It helps them hold just enough pressure to expand and start seating.

Er. The soapy water trick isn’t about miraculously trapping more air, it’s about lubricating the bead.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Sep 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
so if i want some cold weather bibs what's a good reasonably priced brand? although i have some nice underarmour running leggings i could wear over a normal bib short i'm guessing its more comfortable to have full length bib.

i have really really long legs though, normally i wear a 33x36 pant

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

PFC aren't you mounting like 32c tires? You don't need a compressor for that.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Correct, I'm sticking with the stock width.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I suck at bikes. I fitted a Garbaruk long derailleur cage to my sram rival 1 RD on my Raleigh Stuntman as outlined here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jFzCwjlH4E

Parts seems to fit well. I just can't seem to get shifting adjusted right. I gave up last night but will try again today. I watched the park tools video and the sickbicker video too. Might try the sickbicker method today. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ly4wDlMWR9o

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Very few new tubeless tires require a compressor vs just a small AirShot canister (or similar) charged to 160psi. That number is the key as it dictates rate of airflow out of the inflator head.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Coredump posted:

I suck at bikes. I fitted a Garbaruk long derailleur cage to my sram rival 1 RD on my Raleigh Stuntman as outlined here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jFzCwjlH4E

Parts seems to fit well. I just can't seem to get shifting adjusted right. I gave up last night but will try again today. I watched the park tools video and the sickbicker video too. Might try the sickbicker method today. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ly4wDlMWR9o

Perhaps your chain was barely long enough for the stock cage and really isn’t long enough for the new cage and pulleys?

Did you route the chain correctly through the cage so it’s not scraping on the pin under the top pulley?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

kimbo305 posted:

You're now approaching "we should get to the airport at 4am for the 11am flight" dad levels of precaution

lol

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

TobinHatesYou posted:

Perhaps your chain was barely long enough for the stock cage and really isn’t long enough for the new cage and pulleys?

Did you route the chain correctly through the cage so it’s not scraping on the pin under the top pulley?

Put a new KMC X11SL chain (in gold of course) when fitting the parts. I believe chain routing is correct.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Fuckin hell that's a lot of nails. This is what came off just a 500' long bridge.

I wasn't gonna do a whole sweep but when I got there someone else had done most of it so I pitched in to grab the rest. Talked to the city, they'll sweep the rest of the road this afternoon.

Hawkline
May 30, 2002

¡La Raza!

Sab0921 posted:

This seems like a good idea - just light up the trailer like a cop car and get some mirrors despite looking terminally uncool.

I had a double-kid trailer years ago (Trek Transit Deluxe) and i found that I was treated like road royalty by cars around the sidestreets and neighborhood roads between my house and the MUPs or parks in suburban DFW but only when the drivers would see me. These were roads I always rode as a road biker and the conisderation and politeness of everyone went up a lot with the trailer. The only close-call I can remember was someone making a left where i think my presence throughout the turn was blocked by their A-pillar as we started to move into the crosswalk and they initiated a turn through my crosswalk. I think placing priority on visibility is about the best thing you can do here, aside from minimizing mixing with actual traffic.

Can't see it here but i rode with 2 flashing LED taillights on the trailer and another one on the bike. I'd also say it would have been a good idea to go with one the front in retrospect.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

BraveUlysses posted:

so if i want some cold weather bibs what's a good reasonably priced brand? although i have some nice underarmour running leggings i could wear over a normal bib short i'm guessing its more comfortable to have full length bib.

DHB bibs from Wiggle are excellent, I have two pairs for winter rides and commuting. Make sure you get "thermal" or "roubaix" fabric which have a fleece lining inside.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

EvilJoven posted:

Fuckin hell that's a lot of nails. This is what came off just a 500' long bridge.

I wasn't gonna do a whole sweep but when I got there someone else had done most of it so I pitched in to grab the rest. Talked to the city, they'll sweep the rest of the road this afternoon.

Jesus Christ, you're a hero for working to clean that poo poo up ASAP.

People are the worst.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

BraveUlysses posted:

Honestly I find it more versatile to have a couple pairs of good, lightweight bibs and then throw running leggings/capris over them depending on the season. Plus, that way you can ditch an outer layer on long rides where the weather may be variable.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

amenenema posted:

Honestly I find it more versatile to have a couple pairs of good, lightweight bibs and then throw running leggings/capris over them depending on the season. Plus, that way you can ditch an outer layer on long rides where the weather may be variable.

Leg warmers are good and versatile for stuff like this. The problem can be if it’s cold enough you really do benefit from the lining over the top of your bibs where the leggings don’t cover.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

Going tubeless a few weeks ago was much less painful than I expected. Strada Bianca TLRs are hand made and flat as poo poo, but still managed to seat quite well with my DT Swiss R460db rims without using a tube overnight. My lovely 12V emergency compressor didn't work at all so luckily I had a few spare CO2 canisters laying around. The trick in my case was pumping to the high PSI limit and riding the bike around for a few minutes in tight circles to get the beads and other tiny leaks to fully seal. The weld seam on my back rim was being especially stubborn, but it eventually stopped leaking air after a couple air refills and riding sessions.

resident fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Sep 22, 2020

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Guinness posted:

Jesus Christ, you're a hero for working to clean that poo poo up ASAP.

People are the worst.

The real hero is a guy named Murray with a killer muststache. He was out there picking up when I arrived. This time I left my magnet at home and was just gonna snap pix and call the city and RCMP. Figured I'd pitch in to grab the rest.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

TobinHatesYou posted:

Er. The soapy water trick isn’t about miraculously trapping more air, it’s about lubricating the bead.

Cool.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Man screw St Adolphe's gas station I want a sandwich but they gave me the boot. Like gently caress I'm letting my bike out of my sight anywhere within 100mi of Winnipeg.

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni
Bicycle Megathread 5: Don’t forget to masturbate beforehand

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

EvilJoven posted:

Man screw St Adolphe's gas station I want a sandwich but they gave me the boot. Like gently caress I'm letting my bike out of my sight anywhere within 100mi of Winnipeg.

Did you ask or just bring it in? I’ve never had anyone care, but I never ask first.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

EvilJoven posted:

Excuse me I clearly see some screws in there :colbert:

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Did you ask or just bring it in? I’ve never had anyone care, but I never ask first.

Didn't get a chance. Guy barked as soon as I opened the door.

Oh well. Got a beer at the vendor and checked out the CX course some guy built on his farm. It's dooooope.

On to the next town. Maybe they'll sell me a sandwich. I'm sick of waffles and granola bars.

Oh also Gravelkings make for lovely cross tires.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
just sold my surly cross check with lots of frame scratches and peeling labels for $600. not too bad considering i paid about $1200 for it new 8 years ago. got 4 replies in 1 day. good time to sell a bike

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

Get these in XL, they're rad. I'm 6'4ish and there's leg to spare.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Killswitch posted:

Don’t forget to masturbate beforehand so that you’re relaxed for all the yelling at the tire/rim you’re destined for.

this wins the internet

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

My basement is where I do all my bike maintenance stuff and where one time I blew up a tube on a buddy’s bike and it sounded like a bomb went off because of the all brick construction in a small space. Bikes are dangerous when you’re doing maintenance half in the bag.

With a compressor you probably don’t even need to do soapy water, put a tube in overnight or any of that. Just get the tire on the wheel, take out the valve core and dump air into the tire until you hear and see it snap fully seated into place. Then add your sealant through the already open valve, pop the core back in, inflate, then do the sealant rain dance for a couple minutes.

Oh, and use Orange Seal Endurance

Back in the day, I had a tubular blow up at an indoor political event and security thought someone had taken a shot at the candidate. Peugeot PX10e, 1972.

Apr 7, 2003

My basement is where I do all my bike maintenance stuff and where one time I blew up a tube on a buddy’s bike and it sounded like a bomb went off because of the all brick construction in a small space. Bikes are dangerous when you’re doing maintenance half in the bag.

With a compressor you probably don’t even need to do soapy water, put a tube in overnight or any of that. Just get the tire on the wheel, take out the valve core and dump air into the tire until you hear and see it snap fully seated into place. Then add your sealant through the already open valve, pop the core back in, inflate, then do the sealant rain dance for a couple minutes.

Oh, and use Orange Seal Endurance

I missed this earlier somehow, this is a good post, thanks!

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
I got a new frame today (Wheels/bars are placeholders) to replace my 12 year old Look 555:

Probably going to go full DA 9k and some sort of carbon clincher setup, and sell the Look for around a grand with the H Plus Son to DA9k hubs.

I have kind of mixed feelings because the Look really isn't a bad bike at all, and is really dialed for me at this point, but I kind of wanted something a little more steeper geometry wise.

Got the frame with the post for 800. Not a smoking deal but pretty good.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I rode up a small hill today :downs:

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
138km. Mostly gravel and headwinds. At the 100km mark I was being introduced to the park trails one of my friends uses for CX training. Cupped a bunch of segments at that point because I like having a carrot to chase.

Then we went back to the city and I drank a beer in the shower.

Fall riding is good.

Oh also, the best gravel isn't gravel, it's dirt. Section paths own.

Apr 7, 2003

EvilJoven posted:

138km. Mostly gravel and headwinds. At the 100km mark I was being introduced to the park trails one of my friends uses for CX training. Cupped a bunch of segments at that point because I like having a carrot to chase.

Then we went back to the city and I drank a beer in the shower.

Fall riding is good.

Oh also, the best gravel isn't gravel, it's dirt. Section paths own.

How is water handled up there? Our biggest limit right now for riding is water; all the fountains and fillers are closed due to covid-19 and we have to carry our own out. We have 3L backpacks but that runs out fast in the heat.

It's going to be 82 F on Saturday and functionally no different from Summer and with everything closed I don't expect to do much better than our previous outings. Our goal is 100 miles in a day and I just don't see that happening if we can't get refills.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
We can still stop at shops. When I finally got my drat sandwich I also bought water and two gatorades. I also mooched a bottle off my buddy.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
I took a video on my bike ride today. :kiddo:

https://i.imgur.com/cjDnU38.mp4

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

How is water handled up there? Our biggest limit right now for riding is water; all the fountains and fillers are closed due to covid-19 and we have to carry our own out. We have 3L backpacks but that runs out fast in the heat.

It's going to be 82 F on Saturday and functionally no different from Summer and with everything closed I don't expect to do much better than our previous outings. Our goal is 100 miles in a day and I just don't see that happening if we can't get refills.

I don’t know if it’s a viable solution where you live, but I carry a Katadyn BeFree filter on long mountain rides. It packs down extremely compact and the flow rate is great compared to a Sawyer.

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

Chinatown posted:

I keep repeating a ~12mi loop through the park and around the grid in Banker’s Hill, your route looks much more fun. Time to branch out!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
finally hit 1k miles for the year in Strava which is 3x what I did last year

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

BraveUlysses posted:

finally hit 1k miles for the year in Strava which is 3x what I did last year

I just bought a Renegade last weekend and am pretty stoked on it. Are you running mostly stock still? Thoughts on the bike?

I’m starting to look at bags for essentials, which one is that and what are you carrying?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
that giant cancerous nutsack bag is a large size Topeak Wedge Dry Bag with "Fixer" attachment instead of the strap attachment. i have a spare inner tube even though i'm tubeless, some tire levers, a wolf tooth components chain pliers, a pump and a buff that i can use as a mask if needed

mostly stock but i swapped to a gold chain, 650b carbon wheels and wtb byways in the spring

no regrets about the bike at all, ultegra stuff owns, hydraulic disc brakes own, steel is real

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Sep 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Chinatown posted:

Aircraft carriers always park in the low sun so the pilots get the cool horizon reflection in the sunglasses.