Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
This may be an audience of one but.. my favourite bikes in the world are ridgeback, I got two of them, Dutch and junker hybrid, which new bike would finally replace. Ridgeback do a 8 speed hub hybrid/tourer and it’s magical

https://www.ridgeback.co.uk/ridgeback-supernova-eq-varrb2166

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

loving lol @ the "pretend mud" paint job.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Did they do what I think they did with the paint colours and make the single women’s bike pink?

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
yes, they did.

Man I hate modern bikes being all boring blacks and greys. I would buy a hot pink giant defy in a heartbeat, but I'll probably have to settle for an all black one.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
That bike is the equivalent of when Yorkie ran a “it’s not for girls” advert campaign for years and years and then brought out a pink wrapped version and labelled it “for girls”

(The geometry isn’t that different to the men’s version to justify them labelling it for women imo)

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
woman-specific bikes are bullshit, yeah. The only thing that's genital-specific on a bike is the saddle, the rest is down to individual measurements which vary wildly regardless of gender.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

so my Cycliq Fly6 died... again. 1st one lasted a mere six months before the SD card reader started going out and then failed. they replaced it under warranty, this one lasted almost a year and a half before dying in the exact same way.

since it's out of warranty now, they won't replace it despite it being a known (and, for me, repeated) issue:

quote:

We managed to replicate the same issue you were facing and through troubleshooting and testing, we were unable to fix it.

they offered me 20% off buying a new one from them... why on earth would I do that when it has a good chance of dying within a couple years? you can't even use it as a light with this problem - it just turns back off.

anyways that's my rant, gently caress Cycliq etc. sad cuz I liked the camera when it worked, great battery life. maybe I'll pry it open and take the battery out for something else.

meanwhile guess I'm buying a GoPro Max for my city riding video insurance purposes.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Man_of_Teflon posted:

so my Cycliq Fly6 died... again. 1st one lasted a mere six months before the SD card reader started going out and then failed. they replaced it under warranty, this one lasted almost a year and a half before dying in the exact same way.

since it's out of warranty now, they won't replace it despite it being a known (and, for me, repeated) issue:

they offered me 20% off buying a new one from them... why on earth would I do that when it has a good chance of dying within a couple years? you can't even use it as a light with this problem - it just turns back off.

Hunh, I hadn't heard Fly6s being unreliable and failing like that. I backed them as a kickstarter and my Fly6 is still kicking around ok. Is yours the new compact model?
That service is poo poo, though.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Samopsa posted:

yes, they did.

Man I hate modern bikes being all boring blacks and greys. I would buy a hot pink giant defy in a heartbeat, but I'll probably have to settle for an all black one.

Just get a Salsa Cutthroat. A buddy of mine got one and it's loving amazing.

Narf!

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

EvilJoven posted:

Salsa Cutthroat.

Sounds violent

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

resident posted:

Yes, but your long flowing locks can blow in the wind like god intended

Maybe 21 years ago before I lost my hair when I lost all my $$$

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Samopsa posted:

woman-specific bikes are bullshit, yeah. The only thing that's genital-specific on a bike is the saddle, the rest is down to individual measurements which vary wildly regardless of gender.

I love this article, random local newspaper runs a long piece explaining why averages are bullshit

https://www.thestar.com/news/insight/2016/01/16/when-us-air-force-discovered-the-flaw-of-averages.html

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Samopsa posted:

yes, they did.

I wasn't intending to buy my latest bike, but I saw the glitter purple option and I was sold.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

I haven’t looked but I’d be really disappointed if people aren’t doing vinyl wraps for bikes. Anime girlfriend transport isn’t just for the four wheeled.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

Hunh, I hadn't heard Fly6s being unreliable and failing like that. I backed them as a kickstarter and my Fly6 is still kicking around ok. Is yours the new compact model?
That service is poo poo, though.

both were the 2nd gen. I asked if the newer 3rd gen wouldn't have the same problem, and they avoided responding :dafuq:

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
I bought a bike last year, Trek FX 3, and didn't get a chance to really break it in at the time
I'd like to get serious about biking to supplement my weight lifting. I love the idea of working towards like a 50k event or something crazy like that.
I know there are couch potato to 5k and beyond programs for running?

Are there good programs like that for cycling? I'd like to work on not being such a fat poo poo and cycling really seems good

Apr 7, 2003

Samopsa posted:

yes, they did.

The Contend AR had some nice color schemes but the 2021 models only seem to come in one color. Sad!

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Tiny Chalupa posted:

I bought a bike last year, Trek FX 3, and didn't get a chance to really break it in at the time
I'd like to get serious about biking to supplement my weight lifting. I love the idea of working towards like a 50k event or something crazy like that.
I know there are couch potato to 5k and beyond programs for running?

Are there good programs like that for cycling? I'd like to work on not being such a fat poo poo and cycling really seems good

There are apps and whatnot designed to take money for you*, but none of them are as good as this imo

https://www.chestnut-tree-house.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/100kmtrainingplan.pdf

*it’s a charity and this is the guide for charity bike rides so feel free to sling them a few quid if it works for you.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

I put 165 cranks on a bike and now I won’t go back.

:yossame:

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Please be safe out there - this happened on a regular-ish route for me - drunk driver got him at 8 on a Sunday morning. I didn't know the rider, but he was a fixture in the Houston cycling world.

This is also on a segment of road where TXDOT (Texas state highway dept) made a big deal about adding "bike lanes" which are just painted lanes next to a 45 mph road - no actual protection whatsoever.

https://abc13.com/galveston-road-bike-crash-hector-saldarriaga-clear-lake-fatal/10604623/

Sab0921 fucked around with this message at 19:02 on May 11, 2021

Apr 7, 2003

Sab0921 posted:

Please be safe out there - this happened on a regular-ish route for me - drunk driver got him at 8 on a Sunday morning. This is on a segment of road where TXDOT (Texas state highway dept) made a big deal about adding "bike lanes" which are just painted lanes next to a 45 mph road - no actual protection whatsoever.

https://abc13.com/galveston-road-bike-crash-hector-saldarriaga-clear-lake-fatal/10604623/

PENNDOT made a big deal about rebuilding Rt. 51 north out of Pittsburgh with bicyclists in mind. Two days after they opened it some rear end in a top hat ran a cyclist over.

https://www.wtae.com/article/bicyclist-killed-in-west-carson-street-accident/7481885

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

PENNDOT made a big deal about rebuilding Rt. 51 north out of Pittsburgh with bicyclists in mind. Two days after they opened it some rear end in a top hat ran a cyclist over.

Did they actually do it right, or just paint some lines on the road?

This is the TXDOT project which shows what they did. https://www.txdot.gov/inside-txdot/projects/studies/houston/sh3-richey-fm518.html

They could have added some precast concrete curbs and would have actually made a difference. The way American drivers operate, separate bicycle infrastructure feels like the only way to do this right.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
We had a similar accident on bike lanes painted onto a duel carriageway. This old timer on an old steel frame bike got hit by a lorry which accidentally swerved into him on the first day it opened, and he wasn’t identified for 6 months. In the end someone took the stickers of various club tours he’s been on on his bike and found out that he was a retired art teacher. His neighbours had no idea he was missing because he spent half the year cycling round France and painting.

After that in a rare case of compassion and sanity from a local authority they replaced it with a combined footpath and bike lane with catch fencing and barriers separating it from the roads.

Apr 7, 2003

Sab0921 posted:

Did they actually do it right, or just paint some lines on the road?

They didn't even put lines on the road, they put signs up saying "SHARE THE ROAD" and set a 30mph speed limit absolutely no one obeys.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Honestly a huge reason why I went almost exclusively dirt riding in 2018 (other than needing to use some roads to link stuff up)

e: and in opinions no one cares about I feel like as I've gotten old(er) I'm less interested in crazy loud colors on my bikes.

A good colorful paintjob is nice but throwing bright pinks and neons and crazy stuff altogether is a big meh from me now

My current bikes are pretty understated colorwise and I am happy with it

Levitate fucked around with this message at 19:43 on May 11, 2021

Apr 7, 2003

I put some red bar tape on my bike to match the frame color and it already looks like poo poo 300 miles in.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Samopsa posted:

Canyon almost certainly know that because they only make "womens versions" of the lowest tier carbon frame. Would put good money on it being down to market research showing that women who are new to the sport are more likely to buy a women's model bike.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Canyon almost certainly know that because they only make "womens versions" of the lowest tier carbon frame. Would put good money on it being down to market research showing that women who are new to the sport are more likely to buy a women's model bike.

"Hmm women don't seem to spend much money on our bikes, but we've even made them pink and purple and everything!"

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

They didn't even put lines on the road, they put signs up saying "SHARE THE ROAD" and set a 30mph speed limit absolutely no one obeys.

lol - well - we do this in urban area as part of a "complete street" or "shared street" program where all cross streets are given stop signs and there are traffic calming measures to slow people down, make them take wider turns etc...

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Ola posted:

"Hmm women don't seem to spend much money on our bikes, but we've even made them pink and purple and everything!"

The Canyon-SRAM womens livery ultimates and enduraces are about 1000x as nice as the unisex colourways, save us all from black on black on black

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

The purple colorway on the bike with Di2 is loving great.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I cannot abide the only choice being gendered colours, believe me my butch arse looks stupid on a pink bike plus I’m 41 god drat years old and I can’t drive so bikes are my only form of transport. Fun bright colours on a weekend bike sure, but I just can’t turn up for a super serious job thing and have a 5 year old in a unicorn T-Shirt point at my bike and go “look mummy that lady has the same bike as me” because that’s the exact point anyone stops taking you seriously. :(

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

learnincurve posted:

I cannot abide the only choice being gendered colours, believe me my butch arse looks stupid on a pink bike plus I’m 41 god drat years old and I can’t drive so bikes are my only form of transport. Fun bright colours on a weekend bike sure, but I just can’t turn up for a super serious job thing and have a 5 year old in a unicorn T-Shirt point at my bike and go “look mummy that lady has the same bike as me” because that’s the exact point anyone stops taking you seriously. :(

I cannot get my head around why there isn't one dropdown for the saddle choice, and a second dropdown for the colourway choice.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

maybe I'm broken but I get zero excitement out of those bikes. They're like three years behind being innovative in any respect, the colorways look dated out the gate, and that's before I get angry about Canyon's dumb gendered poo poo or bad quality control.
Big yawn.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

122 miles in two days. Def on pace to pull an imperial this year

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Nice one and hello iospace o/

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

meltie posted:

I cannot get my head around why there isn't one dropdown for the saddle choice, and a second dropdown for the colourway choice.

They build the bikes in bulk and you get what you're given to keep costs down. If you want to, eg, change handlebar width it's possible - but it involves them sending you the bike, you taking the bars off, returning them and getting a replacement.

bicievino posted:

maybe I'm broken but I get zero excitement out of those bikes. They're like three years behind being innovative in any respect, the colorways look dated out the gate, and that's before I get angry about Canyon's dumb gendered poo poo or bad quality control.
Big yawn.

Canyon bikes either are dated or super weird so this isn't a surprise, as much as I love(d) my old aeroad

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Oh no no no, If I’m spending over £2000 on a bike there is no “keeping costs down”, they can drat well estimate demand and order accordingly or pay the £4 in wages it would cost to swap the saddle out themselves.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Even if that bike got me excited, and it doesn’t, I’m never wanting to deal with Canyon again in my life. I had to call them like 5 times just to refund my loving oval seat rails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
the most recent war on cars ep is from the pov of a driver who killed a cyclist. it gave me some empathy for drivers who have killed people, my takeaway was that we are all lucky to not have killed while behind the wheel. cars are extremely dangerous and we ought to treat them as such.

society turns a blind eye to the violence of cars because it has been built around them and cannot function without them