Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

amenenema posted:

On the topic, any good (preferably non-harmful) dog deterrent?

Squirting my water bottles in their face at close range has worked so far. I'm told small air horns at close range work too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

ive been feet away from a black bear that popped out of the bushes, probably spooked, and was running right next to me for like half a second. i probably dumped 1000 watts without thinking about it, like really instinct just kicked in i didnt have much say in the matter just trying to get away. my friends who were behind me and the bear said the bear was equally trying to remove itself from the situation and launched itself off the side of the logging road, tumbled a bunch, then looked up at the bottom giving the stink eye to my buddies.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
aww I hope the bear was okay :ohdear:

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

yeah they said the bear looked good, not attending to any injuries or anything, ive thought about that for sure. it was a youth bear and not one of those 800 lbs berry eating brick poo poo houses that are out there.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

Sometimes I carry bear spray on gravel rides in the foothills. idk if I’d notice a cat fast enough

It’s been conventional wisdom that if a cougar wants to eat you, it’ll have you by the throat before you see them.

I don’t know that that hold up after the 2018 (fatal) and 2024 attacks on groups of cyclists in Washington. There was time to fight back. The same goes for the second (surviving) victim in 2004 at Whiting Ranch in Southern California. Maybe also the fatal attack last week on two young men walking along a road in Northern California.

Maybe you’re still hosed if you’re solo though, unless you’re that guy in Colorado that strangled the cat with his bare hands.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Mar 29, 2024

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
How cool would it have been if he somehow managed to strangle the mountain lion with his bear hands, which he harvested from a bear which he had previously strangled?

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

tarlibone posted:

How cool would it have been if he somehow managed to strangle the mountain lion with his bear hands, which he harvested from a bear which he had previously strangled?

Or from a bear they had befriended who was doing the thing where your friend stands behind you with their arms through your armpits and fights for you lol

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Truk is the apex predator in north america, you are vastly more likely to die on your way to the woods than in them

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

amenenema posted:

Or from a bear they had befriended who was doing the thing where your friend stands behind you with their arms through your armpits and fights for you lol

That's a little less grizzly of a scenario whilst simultaneously being much more of a grizzly scenario.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Double post because I... uh... lost my virginity? My inner tube virginity, that is. Wait, that sounds worse. Here, let's start over.

I want to go on a nice, casual ride today, maybe 15 miles or so, and I haven't ridden my commuter-ized Escape very much lately since all of our grocery runs lately have been huge and it's been really cold. So, I went ahead and got ready to take it out, but the rear wheel's valve felt weird, and after I aired up the surprisingly squishy tire (it hasn't been sitting for more than a month or so), it kept hissing unless I pressed on the valve stem a certain way. Well...

... so after three years of cycling, I finally have my first chance to change an inner tube! I chose to do a field expedient repair in my back yard using the stuff I take out on rides instead of tossing it in my repair stand and using nicer tools because I wanted to practice actually using the crap I drag out with me every ride. I put the bike upside down in the grass and was able to remove the wheel (after remembering to open the rear brake) and change the tube without much fuss. The only part that tripped me up was reinstalling the wheel, because I just don't quite have the hang of smoothly getting the cog into the right part of the chain while positioning the wheel into the dropouts at the same time. I'll need to practice that.

Now that I'm thoroughly delayed, I'm going to head out. After all, I need to hit the bike shop and get another tube.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
What are people's experience like locking up more expensive bikes and e-bikes? I have a Trek dual sport 3 I like to ride and I'd like to use it for more daily transporation needs but the thought of locking up a $1200 bike for more than 10-15 minutes makes me anxious. Especially here in Seattle where bike theft seems really bad.

Years ago even a lovely $150 walmart bike I had was almost entirely dismantled other than the frame when I locked it up at school.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Mustang posted:

What are people's experience like locking up more expensive bikes and e-bikes? I have a Trek dual sport 3 I like to ride and I'd like to use it for more daily transporation needs but the thought of locking up a $1200 bike for more than 10-15 minutes makes me anxious. Especially here in Seattle where bike theft seems really bad.

Years ago even a lovely $150 walmart bike I had was almost entirely dismantled other than the frame when I locked it up at school.

Also in Seattle. Big "it depends". I have places I wouldn't let it out of my sight for one minute, much less 15. Other areas I'll leave it unlocked outside while I have lunch.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Mustang posted:

If bike theft is a problem in your area then your best bet is to bring the bike indoors. Always, without question.

If you can’t do that then consider investing some time and work into a beater bike, preferably made of older or cheaper parts, preferably made ugly and undesirable to anybody but yourself, preferably single speed if you can manage it/are concerned about people ripping your drivetrain or wheels off.

Commuting to a workplace where you can either bring the bike inside with you or leave it in a protected/enclosed/private lot or space is going to be more doable from a “will my bike get swiped?” standpoint than, say, parking your bike outside of a busy shopping center in a city known for bike theft, using it to run errands downtown, etc.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

Mustang posted:

I have a friend that got his Kryptonite lock cut during a 10 min quick trip into the Mercer QFC. On the other hand, I’ve left my bike outside of Sloop Tavern with a pile of other bikes completely unlocked for an hour and had no problem.

It’s really neighborhood dependent, but I’d definitely avoid locking up within a mile or two of Pike Market or close to grocery stores and pharmacies just because they tend to attract shady characters.

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

tarlibone posted:

The only part that tripped me up was reinstalling the wheel, because I just don't quite have the hang of smoothly getting the cog into the right part of the chain while positioning the wheel into the dropouts at the same time. I'll need to practice that.

Now that I'm thoroughly delayed, I'm going to head out. After all, I need to hit the bike shop and get another tube.
Always move the rear derailleur to the highest gear/smallest sprocket. It makes it easier to line up the chain.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

mikemelbrooks posted:

Always move the rear derailleur to the highest gear/smallest sprocket. It makes it easier to line up the chain.

Thanks!

I actually remembered to do that this time, but I've removed rear wheels a few times without doing that. It does make a difference.

My main problem is that when there's no cog there, the derailleur just contracts in on itself, which makes sense--it's a bunch of springs and stuff; without something like a bunch of gears in the way, springs are gonna spring. It's the manipulation of that while getting the wheel where it needs to be while also setting the cog on the right spot of the chain that I'm just not good at yet. It's not a hard operation, but I've only done it a few times here and there.

Mainly, I'm happy that I was able to use my stuff to do a field repair, even if I was 30 feet from my garage.

Also, tiny pumps blow.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

tarlibone posted:

Double post because I... uh... lost my virginity? My inner tube virginity, that is. Wait, that sounds worse. Here, let's start over.

I want to go on a nice, casual ride today, maybe 15 miles or so, and I haven't ridden my commuter-ized Escape very much lately since all of our grocery runs lately have been huge and it's been really cold. So, I went ahead and got ready to take it out, but the rear wheel's valve felt weird, and after I aired up the surprisingly squishy tire (it hasn't been sitting for more than a month or so), it kept hissing unless I pressed on the valve stem a certain way. Well...

... so after three years of cycling, I finally have my first chance to change an inner tube! I chose to do a field expedient repair in my back yard using the stuff I take out on rides instead of tossing it in my repair stand and using nicer tools because I wanted to practice actually using the crap I drag out with me every ride. I put the bike upside down in the grass and was able to remove the wheel (after remembering to open the rear brake) and change the tube without much fuss. The only part that tripped me up was reinstalling the wheel, because I just don't quite have the hang of smoothly getting the cog into the right part of the chain while positioning the wheel into the dropouts at the same time. I'll need to practice that.

My first ride of the year was an unseasonably warm Sunday two weeks ago, my wife and I rode for about 20 minutes and went for breakfast at a nice little cafe. It was 2 minutes after we left before realizing I had my first ever flat. I think it was something around the valve too, but it's weird because it's been in the condo bike lockup for 5 months and held pressure for the first 20 minutes before going flat after breakfast, so I dunno.

Of course.. it was right downtown, in a pretty rough neighborhood, so changing my tire while multiple shady people sized me up was.. interesting. It was reassuring that I did it pretty easily, all that time I put into building this bike at the co-op made it a straightforward process for me.

Does anybody have any recommendations for a good thorn resistant inner tube that comes in a 27"x1-3/8" compatible size? I'm also a hefty 250-270 lbs depending on the time of year, so I don't want to trust random tubes from the co-op's parts bins anymore.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Did you throw your pizza at anyone and get the gently caress out of there

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Did you throw your pizza at anyone and get the gently caress out of there

Lol that's a hell of a blast from the past.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time

Project M.A.M.I.L. posted:

Lol that's a hell of a blast from the past.

I'm pretty well versed in SA lore, but this one is unknown to me. Can we afford a small derail and would you fill us in?

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

i dont carry anything and just deal with the consequences as they arrive

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I literally stopped carrying a tube once and got a puncture. God hates the ill-prepared.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

First ride on a latex tube. Flat. Change it.

Not too many weeks into a tub. Flat. Get ride home.

Road tubeless? gently caress it. Roll the dice, almost always get home.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’m afraid that it works in reverse as well.

I put a daschcam in my car. I never needed one before, but now that I have one, I’m sure that trouble will find me.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

Cat rear end Trophy posted:

I'm pretty well versed in SA lore, but this one is unknown to me. Can we afford a small derail and would you fill us in?

It's from way back goons.txt, sort of like the printer carrying guy. I can't remember it word for word but the gist is, guy buys a pizza and drink and goes to eat it at a bench in the park across the road. He then observes some teenagers he thinks are high and they come over and start being friendly with him. He gets a bit freaked out and throws his pizza near them as a distraction and gets the hell out of there.
I hadn't thought about it in a very long time.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

wow major blast from the past

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
Welp, I crashed out of the Tour of Flanders for amateurs at kilometer 144. A parked car by the side of the road pulled out onto the street without hesitation (or looking) and I crashed into the rear passenger door at 35 km/hr. Was taken to hospital by ambulance, where the gash in my knee was stitched up and xrays were taken: a broken clavicle that will require surgery later this week. Didn't lose consciousness though and all in all it could've been so much worse, so I'm mostly relieved. That said, I was on track for my goal of completing it within 8 hours despite it pissing down rain all day, so I'm somewhat bummed I will now have to wait a year. Cruelly, the weather's been great since... so I can't wait to get back on my bike once I'm allowed to flex my knee again.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Lex Neville posted:

Welp, I crashed out of the Tour of Flanders for amateurs at kilometer 144. A parked car by the side of the road pulled out onto the street without hesitation (or looking) and I crashed into the rear passenger door at 35 km/hr. Was taken to hospital by ambulance, where the gash in my knee was stitched up and xrays were taken: a broken clavicle that will require surgery later this week. Didn't lose consciousness though and all in all it could've been so much worse, so I'm mostly relieved. That said, I was on track for my goal of completing it within 8 hours despite it pissing down rain all day, so I'm somewhat bummed I will now have to wait a year. Cruelly, the weather's been great since... so I can't wait to get back on my bike once I'm allowed to flex my knee again.

Bad luck. Join the club, last year for me;

Had a spoke break 5km in, then about 10km in an over the handlebars crash caused by the guy in front of me of me losing his rear wheel on muddy grass and then sliding on his back headfirst across the cycle path. Then cycled 120km with a gashed knee before my (carbon) seatpost failed - maybe crash damage, maybe previous owner damage, maybe my fat arse riding on cobbles. Decided to call it a day.

Try again next year?

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

numberoneposter posted:

First ride on a latex tube. Flat. Change it.

Not too many weeks into a tub. Flat. Get ride home.

Road tubeless? gently caress it. Roll the dice, almost always get home.
My first puncture for a while, heard the air escaping from my front tyre, rolled to a stop, saw a pin prick of sealant. Turned the wheel so the puncture was at the bottom. Heard it stop leaking continued riding. I went to top up pressure but it had hardly lost any.

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
Thinking about buying a groupset from overseas to get around Shimanos regional pricing in the US. Will be over the $800 threshold for duties, buying from either UK or Italy. Has anybody done this recently? Trying to figure out what the import duty % will be.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Lex Neville posted:

Ouch dude, sounds painful. Glad it wasn't any worse than that. Heal up quick!

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Mederlock posted:

Does anybody have any recommendations for a good thorn resistant inner tube that comes in a 27"x1-3/8" compatible size? I'm also a hefty 250-270 lbs depending on the time of year, so I don't want to trust random tubes from the co-op's parts bins anymore.

Maybe you'd be better off with more puncture resistant tires like Continental Gatorskin or Schwalbe Marathon?

The best quality butyl tubes in my experience are from Schwalbe.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I replaced my butyl tubes the the ridenow TPU tubes. Hopefully they don't flat. :toot:

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

I'm waiting for the Rene Herse ones to try TPU:

https://www.renehersecycles.com/rene-herse-introduces-tpu-tubes/

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

amenenema posted:

Maybe you'd be better off with more puncture resistant tires like Continental Gatorskin or Schwalbe Marathon?

The best quality butyl tubes in my experience are from Schwalbe.
We ride a lot of (easier) single and double track on our bikes as well as road riding, we've found the lugs on the Kenda Kross Cyclo tires we're running have helped a lot on trails with a slight side incline or muddy low spots. So I either go with a thorn resistant tube from Bontrager or Specialized, or just get a good Schwalbe tube?

Mederlock fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Apr 1, 2024

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

Residency Evil posted:

I replaced my butyl tubes the the ridenow TPU tubes. Hopefully they don't flat. :toot:

I just finished the last 80 miles of a gravel race on a Ride Now tube, fully expected it to fail at some point so I was super happy to not have to change it mid ride.

I read an article online where a guy tried them for his every day tubes and they only lasted about 3 rides before they started loosing air at an unsustainable rate.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

resident posted:

I just finished the last 80 miles of a gravel race on a Ride Now tube, fully expected it to fail at some point so I was super happy to not have to change it mid ride.

I read an article online where a guy tried them for his every day tubes and they only lasted about 3 rides before they started loosing air at an unsustainable rate.

The weightweenies thread has tons of people using them as everyday tubes. :shrug:

I'm guessing these will not be cheap.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Lex Neville posted:

Ah poo poo sorry to hear that, good luck with the surgery and hope you're back to fitness soon!

That's what happens when you go cycling in Belgium I guess :v:

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Mederlock posted:

We ride a lot of (easier) single and double track on our bikes as well as road riding, we've found the lugs on the Kenda Kross Cyclo tires we're running have helped a lot on trails with a slight side incline or muddy low spots. So I either go with a thorn resistant tube from Bontrager or Specialized, or just get a good Schwalbe tube?

Oh whoops I missed the off road component.

Bicycle tire rolling resistance has a chart of MTB tires you can sort by puncture resistance:

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/mtb-reviews?orderby=pr

But admittedly they are really focused on (you guessed it) rolling resistance, so the tires they test are decidedly overkill for your purposes. Here's the most puncture resistant one they've tested.

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/mtb-reviews/tufo-xc11-tr#pr

Perhaps pop into your LBS and ask for some tough tire recommendations? See if there's an "HD" or other tougher version of the tires you have? Lots of tires come in standard and with increased puncture resistance.

Or I guess go ahead and give the self sealing tubes a shot?? I just have no experience with em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I had schwalbe marathons and not only did I never get a single flat I couldn't cut the tires up with shears when I threw them out. There were indestructible. Weren't the most fun tire to actually ride on, but pretty crazy how well they worked at preventing flats.