Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
I did it on one frame I was building up, as I have big feet and ride heel in. On this particular frame right heel was whacking the chainstay on the way up each time, making me twist my foot which made my knee hurt.

Anyway I widened the q-factor using a mountain bike crank and bb. I can't remember the increase in mm but it was significant and solved my problem.

E. I guess that isn't really another reason other than knee pain but maybe it will be helpful?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
The soapy water trick is definitely a+ advice. It helps them hold just enough pressure to expand and start seating.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

TobinHatesYou posted:

Er. The soapy water trick isn’t about miraculously trapping more air, it’s about lubricating the bead.

Cool.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

Tesla Was Robbed posted:

New frame pack day! I made the pockets bigger, shaved 40 grams, and it now matches my handlebar tape. Everything’s coming up Milhouse. Too bad no one sees it bc it’s dark and cold at 530am and they’re sawing logs while I’m hitting that bike high :boom:

Looks Rad! What material did you use?
I found it hard to get anything good locally so just used some poly-canvas or something on my first attempt, and then sprayed it with that stuff you use to make jackets and things waterproof. I haven't used it yet but plan to soon.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

Tesla Was Robbed posted:

Nice pack. Fits the bike well.
I picked up some vx15 remnants from one of my vendors and had some time in production this week to make a me-project. This is only half though. I’ve got another part so that it will become a full triangle pack where the two parts stick together. I’ll be matching it to a saddle bag and maybe a top tube bag if i have enough fabric left. It’s fun sewing these things.

Thanks! Your project sounds pretty cool, I decided I'd had enough bike stuff for right now so my current project is re-upholstering some old chairs.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

Shadowhand00 posted:

I find myself unexpectedly in santa Barbara for a week with a bike and not much else to do but sit in the hotel. Outside of gibraltar is there anything else I need to ride? Saw some nice gravel rides mentioned in one of the randoneur routes here.

Or do SB-Ventura-Ojai-SB. It's a cool loop around lake Casitas.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

Yeah get Speedplays. I had the same issue, inside of my knee getting really sore with most road pedals, I need my feet to move around a little bit through the rotation (so lots of float) and I have my heels turned-in so far they're almost whacking the chain-stays which is hard to adjust for on some pedals.
Only one bike fitter ever solved it with non-speedplay pedals and those shoes wore out and we had moved country so I gave up after some frustrating times and bought speedplays. After the initial setup they have been great, as long as I remember to grease them occasionally. Oh and if you need to increase your distance to get your heel in further try a couple of pedal washers first.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
I'm not having a go at you, just wondering how you can travel from US to Germany and be allowed to go out and about without doing any sort of quarantine? You're a pilot right, is it because you have been vaccinated or is it something else?

E. I should add I'm insanely jealous.

Project M.A.M.I.L. fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Apr 5, 2021

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

e.pilot posted:

I was there for work and I have also been vaccinated yes, although nobody asked to see my vaccination card :iiam:

Yeah that's weird, I would have thought there'd be something but oh well, looks like an awesome ride!

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

Krogort posted:

I have a fancy looking saddle (only cost 25 bux tho) on my city bike and I worry some ill intended wanker is going to nick it.
Has anybody tried filling in the hex heads with glue or sealant or some other thing that is not permanent but is enough to deter somebody ?

I've also read you can glue a ball bearing into the hex head.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

Nitrousoxide posted:

Welp. Bought some of that finish line Teflon stuff earlier today because the reviews said it was the best.

RIP

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

I couldn't find the It's Happening smiley so uh :dehumanize:

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
I had a ride today. It was one of those sweet ones where you head out early before it gets windy, and plan it so you have a tailwind on the way home. Bikes rule.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

Stalizard posted:

I got a bitchin 80s road bike and it's got these fenders. Fenders are good, I want them, but these ones are rubbing on one of the wheels when I ride and I can't figure out which freakin one.

If I spin the wheels when the bike is stationary I can't hear a thing, it's only when my fat rear end gets on the bike and starts pedaling do I hear it. Can't quite tell if it's coming from the front or the back and I don't know how to figure it out without loading the bike and moving forward. The fenders are already out about as far as they want to go, do you guys have any tips or tricks for how to adjust them?

I gotta see this bitchin' 80's road bike first, but I'd guess probably rear wheel as if your frame flexes when you pedal which most older steel bikes do, you can get a bit of rubbing from things shifting around.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
Those rims look like they're on their last legs too. Cool save though.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
I'm lucky if I have 5 hours a week, and that's not consistent week to week either. Wow.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
I thought part of the point of Presta valves was that they could hold a higher pressure than Schraeder valves. They can be a bit weird at first if you've come from cars and haven't seen them before, but they're good. Just tighten them up properly.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

Steve French posted:

Mountain bike shocks use much higher pressure than any bike tires and use schrader valves. And mountain bike tires run lower pressures than cars and use presta valves. I don’t think that’s the reason and had thought it was more about requiring a smaller hole in a narrow rim.

Yeah the smaller hole in the rim makes more sense, I had never reaply though about it.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
I know it was a few pages ago now but the motivation to ride can sometimes take a while to come back. What someone else said about just doing something else for a while can help.

I had been building up to a big 'race' (I don't compete I just ride) that was 85km of mostly dirt/gravel roads in a place I had never ridden before. It was really cool, a very good day out but since then I haven't ridden my bike except into town a couple of times. It's as if the coolness of riding somewhere else and seeing cool things has made the prospect of riding the same 3 or 4 loops around here just too dull to contemplate.

Someone died on the ride which also made for some strange feelings for a few days.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

Goddamn that's a hell of a beard, feel like shaving mine off now as it will never be that cool.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

highme posted:

I can't stand my mustache being that long, but I can see the advantage by keeping bugs out of the mouth.

Or alternatively, funnelling bugs into the mouth for on the bike nourishment.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
If no sound you heed, a top up you need
if sloshing there be, ride on care-free!

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
Make sure you partially inflate your tube too when you put it in. Not a lot, but enough to hold its shape so you are less likely to pinch it. Also check your rim tape.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

spf3million posted:

After two years of the bare frame sitting in my attic, I finally bought a couple parts

:eyepop:

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

Fievel Goes Bi posted:

Bike thread. I’ve been looking at getting into cycling after a recent trip to Detroit and riding e-bikes around the city and having loving blast doing it. Currently I have two old road bikes my grandfather gave me.

Post pics:)

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

Fievel Goes Bi posted:

Sorry for the potato pics.

The Peugeot still needs to go somewhere to get fixed up to be rideable.

But he got these when he was living in Switzerland and brought them back with him.

Holy poo poo that Masi looks incredible. Please take more pictures and post them in the show us your bike thread!

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

Sab0921 posted:

Cleaning your bike is not fun.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
This might be a dumb question but it's ok to run a Sram xx1 11speed chain on a 2x11 setup right? I already bought and fitted it before realising it is supposedly "1x specific" but that has to be marketing bs? It looks very similar to the pc1170 it's replacing. I can't return it, it shifts really well on the stand but haven't managed to get out on a proper ride yet.
I searched on the internet and found mostly people saying it should be fine but there were the usual "why use anything other than the exact specific one do you want to die?" responses.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

It’s fine. I do it all the time.

Sweet I'm hoping I can actually ride today. Thanks.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

Salt Fish posted:

if you lived in the middle of a roadless forest and commuted to work at the nearby boreal swamp

That sounds pretty rad

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

McCracAttack posted:

I have a question about a weird phenomenon I've noticed.

Every time I go on a long ride with friends we all get very chatty and oddly open about personal issues after the first hour. Like at the start of the ride it's "Hey how's work?" but half way through it's "I'm thinking about asking for a divorce."

What's going on there? It feels exactly like when you're a kid sleeping over at your friends house and you over share with each other while you're laying on the floor in sleeping bags. Do people just open up when we're working towards a common goal? Or is it the fact that we're together but not actually looking at each other that makes people open up?

I don't have any friends I ride with because I'm a loser but I do ride with one of my sisters fairly often and our conversations get pretty deep. I remember reading once that conversations held side to side, like in a car, or riding bikes, working in a busy kitchen or something like that, can get deeper more easily due to the lack of constant eye contact among other things. I'm sure there was more to it than that like maybe your body language is concealed due to the physical activity.
E. for wrong quote

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
I can't bicycle today but I am looking at bicycles on the internet and maybe going to work on mine in the garage later. Bikes are very cool and very good.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
Looks cool! I did one a while ago, it just felt like it was getting smaller and smaller until the last few corners were nightmarish to get done. But it's rad making your own stuff.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
The cool thing about old quill stems is you can slam them for photos and then lift them up when you have to actually ride it wirh your bad back.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

I would simply stay asleep in my comfy, comfy bed.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
If you wanna go full retro yeah either ebay or you could try https://www.soigneur.co.nz/ They do what look like pretty good merino reproduction stuff, although you said on the light side.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
Did you put any grease/oil on the threads before putting them together?

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

Ihmemies posted:

Chain oil, yes. Next wheel I used anti seize. I still don't know what went wrong. What does it matter though? I just need to buy more spokes.

It might have contributed to them being so tight you couldn't remove them. Back wheel looks good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

Planet X posted:

Ive been biking a long time, but ran into an issue tonight that I could use an opinion on.

I have tires on my bike that are pretty tight on the rim. Not impossibly tight, but I got a flat on the way home and ended up pinching the tube just trying to get the drat tire back on. Took a lot of force with the lever and I ultimately pinch flatted it.

As cold weather approaches, I'll likely put my winter tires (Schwalbe) on, which if I recall correctly are way easier than my "summer" tires (Panaracer). I'm so frustrated by this that I'm going to pitch or donate the Panaracers. A tire I can't change in the field is not practical to me.

How on earth do people field change a tire when it's so tight on the rim? I don't ever recall struggling this much, and I have fairly normal rims, I think, Velo Orange 700c ones. Or is the trick to find a tire that goes on a little easier and stick with that? I'm almost glad this happened, as I have a day tour coming up and if this were to have happened remotely, that wouldn't have been good at all. Luckily, I was able to call the wife and have her come pick me up just a few miles from the house. Have tires always been this tight on (road) rims?

Honestly it just depends. Some rim/tyre combos you can just change with your bare hands, others you'll be cursing and snapping tyre levers/pinching tubes all day long. It sucks, the only advice I can really give is that in my experience folding-bead tyres go on easier than wire-bead. And that I've never found Continental tyres to be difficult (lol except when I tried for like 10 minutes to fit one to a 27inch wheel).