Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Oh, we're riding around in our tux jerseys now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

LimburgLimbo posted:

New thread so gonna repost from the very end of the last my test of recording a ride in Taiwan with a hilariously long selfie stick on my bike because I can.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAgxkXB32I0

Really like the scenery and angle, just gotta get a stick that doesn't wobble as much and make a proper video.

Very good and GTA. Could you put some sort of mass damper tuned to cancel out whatever frequency it likes to swing at?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

spf3million posted:

I'm planning my next big ride. What do you all like to eat while riding? So far I'm working with
- PB&J / PB&Honey
- Rice crispy treats
- Dry pancakes
- home made rice cakes
- gummy bears
- chocolate covered espresso beans
- just ordered some stroopwafels
- burnt out on Clif blocs

I have simple needs and am good if every Clif bar is a different flavor.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Alright, then I might have to mix in the Buzz and Nut Butter variants of Clif Bars to get that variety.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

While we’re here, did other brands make one-sided SPD pedals? I had a really light set on my Lemond, and sold them, but now regret it.

They were silver and had very little platform around the cleat retention.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Guinness posted:

One of the biggest benefits to SPDs is the double-sided pedal designs. If you’re going to give that up may as well look into other pedal systems IMO.

*Hill climb special*

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Vando posted:

nonstop "summer camp activity leader" tone

Isn't that an ok tone for newbies?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actionjackson posted:

why would you ever want your pedal to be one-sided idgi

kimbo305 posted:

*Hill climb special*

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actionjackson posted:

I suppose it would be good so if you wanted to just ride chill sometimes and wear normal shoes you could pedal on the other side

The one-sided ones I'm talking about are smaller than normal 3-bolt pedals. You'd have a worse time pedaling in normal shoes.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Today is New Jersey Day. Post those new jerseys.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Still haven't ridden in it, but maybe this week

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Did you ask for an inconvenience discount?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

rope kid posted:

He offered it but I don't care. The mistake already works in my favor.

[Everyone liked that.]

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Why didn't you ride on the ferry :colbert:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

rickiep00h posted:

Hello bicycle friends, been a long while. Just saying hi, nice new thread, etc.

:justpost:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

man in the eyeball hat posted:

My road bike recently started creaking when I turn the handlebars too far off-axis. The creaking sound seems to be coming from the fork/headset. Googling around looks like greasing everything in the headset is a good starting point, but I haven't messed with my headset before.

My questions for the thread:

- Is disassembling the headset and greasing everything a reasonable starting point? Is there something I should check beforehand?

I'd double check that the creak isn't coming from any of the cable stops near the head tube. Decently easier check to grease those and see if the creak goes away / changes.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

I think I want some new bars for my emonda. I have the stock Bontrager Elite VR-C bars right now, they feel quite wide and I hate the shape of the drops.

No idea what I should be looking for. Carbon? Aero? Neither? I’ve never bought bars before.

Measure the bars to be sure what width they are, get the cheapest one size down on ebay that look shaped like what you want, and try those out in your hands. Measure the test bars to confirm they’re the size you’re expecting.
Test install them without wrapping tape. Only if they feel right should you commit to that model or to a tier up in the model line — carbon, lighter alu, etc. Flat tops are nice, and you can get flatter with carbon.

I think I like really stiff bars, as only one pair of carbon bars has been not had some noticeable flex. Not to the point of unusable or anything, but even a few mm of deflection at the end of the drops is too flexy feeling. I’d rather have the stiffness than the buzz damping.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Is that a patinaed mounting bolt?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Looks a lot better.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Does anyone live in Japan and would be willing to shop and ship a helmet for me?
One of these:
http://ysroad.co.jp/ueno-wearkan/2020/05/03/23368
https://www.cyclecube.com/?p=39504

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

LimburgLimbo posted:

Amazon Japan has it - think you can make an account there and can probably work out?

Got it -- I had to fumble around with translate before I could add an America shipping address.
Here's hoping the S/M sizing (a very narrow 55-58) works for me :pray:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

iospace posted:

it's a bit harder to unclip, but that may be a combo of breaking in the pedals

That should be solely determined by the tension settings; check where in the range the pedals are set to.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

golden bells posted:

Just let me say that normie and nerd customers alike need 2 get a grip

Go on.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

golden bells posted:

I think it's because I'm a lady, but men frequently lie to me about their height. Dudes who are my height (5'4"/163cm) telling me they're 5'10"

Do you ever offer to break out the tape measure?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

nm posted:

Reasonable chance they will cancel the sale due to shipping issues.

Shipping from Japan is either hyper expensive these days or really slow. EMS Japan-US is not accepting packages (they will take letters). You either get surface mail (1-3mo) or UPS/Fedex wihcih will be $100+.
They put in in the post with DHL today, after a pretty long handling time, it seems. Might get here in less time.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

spf3million posted:

I limped into San Miguel at mile 211
...ate a very disappointing burrito along with a large coke plus 2 refills.
Can't imagine how nasty that burrito actually was.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

More like becoming a vampire.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

A common derogatory term, Bicycle Shaped Object, is more worth railing against.
If you're getting a bike that's $250 or less from a department store, you've got a BSO, made with parts that really can't be serviced, and likely with an incredibly pointless suspension fork.
A BSO hybrid should be ridden as long as you need it, but it'll be hard to keep going forever, particularly with the high degree of plastic in the drivetrain.

There are plenty of very serviceable, durable hybrids sold for $500-700 at local bike shops. Outside of snark, nobody has a problem with these, until they hear you say "I wish I could go a little faster," at which point they'll dive in front of you on the bike path, get run over, and groan with their last breath "...gravel bikes..."

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

Why would anyone be fixing a new bike?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3627612&userid=27448#post504554921

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3522741&userid=87705#post504641621

Below a certain quality level, you're gonna get a raft of build issues you need to nurse.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Some MTBs don’t have bottle cages in the main triangle :thunk:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I was writing up a big effort op but after these last posts
I'm deleting it and just saying that aero is fake and aero frames are ugly and should be trashed

But the newbies need the contenttttt.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Hope much is a frame? Why not just roll the dice? FWIW, I was only able to go 700x23 to 650Bx32, and the ~1cm BB drop is noticeable. Not to the point of weird, but different.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

There’s no standard for stem outer diameter.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

e.pilot posted:

I assume no responsibility for their printing quality and potential asian sizing quirks, if you have ordered china kits before you should know what you’re getting in to, while they’re good most of the time I cannot guarantee they will be 100% of the time, this is a lot of words to basically say no refunds unless something is grotesquely wrong

I take this to mean that if you get shipped a box of live raccoons, you'll try to get a refund for us, but otherwise, we're getting our kits and living with them?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Would anyone be interested if there were women's cuts options? I can volunteer to try to set up a similar group order if 1) there's interest 2) I can get an Aliexpress vendor to do the women's custom design.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Modal Auxiliary posted:

We need one of those Howard Schatz-style athlete lineups except instead of various naked Olympians it's just a bunch of goon cyclists wearing BearPope.

I'll start the website
https://height-weight-chart.com/

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Texibus posted:

Need a recommendation on a bike for a man who wants to roll around Seattle casually for fitness. Wouldn't hate just some standard good bikes to look for secondhand, the budget is probably only around $500 bucks.

Any of Specialized Sirrus, Trek FX, Jamis Coda, Giant Escape, Kona Dew.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Yes. Do you know how to check out a used bike?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Texibus posted:

Nope.
I figured I'd ride it and cycle through the gears and hit the brakes.

Terribly lit, but quite comprehensive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0hEfwWg8vY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Havana Affair posted:

I've been interested in getting a bike fit lately and someone is offering a Specialized BodyGeometry Bikefit services near me. Anyone have any experience with this? The person doing it is a trained physiotherapist so it's not just some bike shop offering it. Reading on it it seems pretty good and the Specialized thing might be mostly a branding thing. I don't think I have any major problems with my fit I'm just curious to get an experts opinion.

My fit was done through a BG fitter. It was pretty standard. Some basic video analysis (mostly for replay / reviewing stuff that the eyes might have missed), a few asymmetric checks, saddle width, hip and knee angles.